So tired of buying new clothes! What do we really need?

Kruzin Karen

My DH has quit smoking (hooray!), but the resulting slow but steady weight gain has required we go out and buy him a whole new wardrobe for every cruise, and we cruise a lot. We are going on a 4 day "getaway" cruise next month on the Sapphire, and we are new to Princess. Since there is no formal night on 4 day cruises, what are gentleman (at a bare minimum) required to wear in the dining room to keep from annoying fellow passengers? It has been my experience that the guidelines for dress recommended by the cruise line often has very little to do with what people actually wear. Help! Do I really have to buy him another suit? Thanks in advance... I do know there are less formal options, but it would be a shame to miss the dining room!

My DH has quit smoking (hooray!), but the resulting slow but steady weight gain has required we go out and buy him a whole new wardrobe for every cruise, and we cruise a lot.

Slightly off topic...just so you know (if you didn't already).

1) it isn't unusual to gain 10-20 pounds after quitting - it usually comes back off. This is due to a decreased metabolism and increased appetite after quitting. Also, food tastes better as the taste buds come back to life (they were previously coated with nicotine and dormant).

2) tell him to increase his activity

3) drink lots of water

4) avoid hi cal snacks - carrots and celery are your friend.

5) CONGRATULATIONS!! I used to teach "Freedom from Smoking" for the Lung Association and the people in the groups freely admitted it is harder to quit smoking than to quit alcohol or hard drugs.

Congratulations to your husband. I know how hard it is. I quit last year and have managed to lose 10 pounds. Exercise and watching what you eat is key. Even an hour of moderate walking can make a big difference. I'm still working on the weight but still smoke free. I wish him well.

In March, it will be our 11th cruise. I think back to our 1st when I thought I had to have a different outfit for every night:eek: at dinner. Now I pack two pair of slacks and several different blouses. I don't care whether it's formal night or not....I am dressed appropriately. My husband does the same thing. A couple pair of dockers and he will bring his sport jacket, not a suit. I will wear the same thing on "formal" night both times or however many there are, depending on the length of our cruise. I utilize the laundry room. I bring quarters and purex 2 in 1 sheets.

Our last cruise was a 16 day TA and I packed the same as if it were a 7 day. As long as I have a good pair of shoes and a jacket, not a bulky, heavy coat if we are headed to a place I may need one, I am good.

I usually bring two pairs of khakis--one navy and one tan. For our cruise to the Panama Canal--11 nights--I forgot to pack one pair. I made it through the cruise with just the tan pair (and my tuxedo for the formal nights). Fortunately I did not spill anything on them.

Pants/slacks and a shirt would be fine. Some gentlemen wear a Hawaiian shirt.

On our Hawaii cruise I think I wore Aloha shirts to dinner every night except formal nights. (I love my Tommy Bahama's. :)) On formal nights I wouldn't dream of wearing one in MDR.

We're doing a 4 day to Vancouver in May and I may well wear my Tommy's to dinner...

So happy to hear your husband quit smoking. This happened for me and my spouse 10 plus years ago and we feel so much better. Unfortunately, we gained a lot of weight that it has taken a lot of time to get off. Tried Nutrisystem, Weightwatchers then South Beach Diet. Found this wonderful site,Kalyns Kitchen that has really good healthy recipes, and we are now skinnier than we were even when we were smoking. I have come to love healthy cooking again and love where we are in life. Good luck!

Last cruise in the Caribbean, I wore my Hawaiian shirt and jeans on non-formal nights in the MDR with my sandals. Formal night I switched to a pair of khaki pants (dockers), long sleeved shirt and my tennies. No problem.

Around the ship I either had on my swim suit and tshirt or shorts and tshirt with flip flops with included all times except when I was eating dinner in the MDR. One does not need a lot of extra clothes for a Caribbean cruise.

So happy to hear your husband quit smoking. This happened for me and my spouse 10 plus years ago and we feel so much better. Unfortunately, we gained a lot of weight that it has taken a lot of time to get off. Tried Nutrisystem, Weightwatchers then South Beach Diet. Found this wonderful site,Kalyns Kitchen that has really good healthy recipes, and we are now skinnier than we were even when we were smoking. I have come to love healthy cooking again and love where we are in life. Good luck!

You never know what you will learn on CC!! Thanks for the advice for Kalyns Kitchen recipes on line. I try to cook healthy, and just need a nudge once in a while to try something new!

Not only did you folks give needed and valuable advice, your kindness and encouragement brought a tear to my eye. You people made my week!

This is the part of cruise critic that I love with the supporting and kind comments. Sometimes they get overshadowed by some mean spirited threads but it's refreshing to see ones like this. :)

Congrats to your hubby for quit smoking. As far as dress code, my hubby has never owned a suit since I've known him (been married 17 years) but he always looks presentable and fits in even on formal night with a shirt, tie and nice slacks. No need for a new suit or sport jacket. Enjoy your cruise.