Feb 1, ruby sailing problem

Teris50

My Grandmother sent me the following...I am not trying to start trouble, just wondering if anyone else had this happen.

The trip so far has been lovely, no problems there. However, my sis and I arrived at ruby princess and put our valuables in the safe in the cabin. next day we looked in the safe and my sister siad. "where is my money". then we discussed how much she brought with her and after thinking and talking we decided it probably wasn't what she remembered bringing. I looked over at my pile of stuff and it looked OK - howerver, I did not count my money at that time. Now that was my fault and I will be careful of checking her resources and having her check my resources whenever we travel again together

we carried our purses with us for the remainder of the trip and then she went home and I went aboard the Masdaam.

When I got to the masdaam I counted all my money and found that 2/3s of the money was not there. whew!!!

teri, would you contact Princess and talk to them about my problem. together we have lost $1550. thats a lot to say goodby to without having anything to show for it. I know the money is gone and that I have no recourse to it

I think they should know that they have someone on their ship who can get into the safe that is locked with a secret number.

we did not SEE anyone take the money but we kn ow it was tken out of the safe.

that person also took about $20 worth of Powerbll and lotto tickets.

These are 2 ladies that are 88 and 89. The 89 yr old is on a 45 day cruise right now. Very alert and spry. AGAIN, no flaming, just wondering if anyone else had this happen

Wow! I've read about things like this but never on Princess nor first-hand. Since the cruise was several weeks ago, reporting it and getting any action is going to be very, very difficult since all anyone has is your word that the money was there and then taken. Not that your word doesn't count but in the case of theft with no witness or proof, I doubt there's much that can be done. :(

My Grandmother Sailed on the Maasdam on Feb 9, and is still sailing. She totally knows there is nothing that can be done, and the reason it was not reported, was because she did not realize how much was missing until she was on the Maasdam. She also does not email very often from the ship. Like I said, she is 89, and I only wanted to see if anyone else had problems. She does not expect anything, just wanted me to notify Princess that there is something not right on that ship.

I am shocked because I have never had this problem.

Had this happen many years ago on Princess ship, first Princess cruise. Onboard they denied it could have happened and when got back nothing done. Several people have access to the safe and can open it if you forget your number etc. even at hotels. For this reason I do not travel with any valuables that I could not afford to go missing and take as little money as possible.

It should have been reported onboard, with that said when we did years ago nothing was done and our cabin steward even confessed to giving an expensive piece of jewelry that he described (mine) to his girlfriend onboard, this was a one of a kind. I suppose it could happen with clothes or shoes as well. Just a note that when travelling anything is possible. Now it has been reported people are taking our carry on luggage in plain view on planes-what's next?

When I got to the masdaam I counted all my money and found that 2/3s of the money was not there. whew!!!

Which was three days after disembarking the Ruby Princess cruise since the second leg began on February 6th.:confused:

Mike:)

We have had thousands of dollars worth of cash and tens of thousands worth of jewelery in a Princess safe and never had a dime go missing. It would have to be worth a lot to a crew member, as getting caught would surely result in getting sent home.

Edited by Luvmyrotti
Typo correction

I feel badly for the two ladies, but at 88 and 89 they could have easily mistaken a $100 bill for a $10, or miscounted at the start of the cruise. I have left out rings, cameras, electronics and even money and have not had a problem. One time I was on a shore trip and put my credit card in my shorts pocket. When I got to my cabin I sent out the laundry including the shorts. The next day back comes the laundry with my credit card taped to the hangers. Now that's honesty!!

My DH and I were on that sailing as well and had no problems, in fact, in our years of cruising Princess we have never had a problem other than a safe battery that went dead. The cabin steward could not help with that - it was a ship's officer in the hotel department that was able to correct the situation. I do believe the ability to open passenger room safes is very limited.

in fact, in our years of cruising Princess we have never had a problem other than a safe battery that went dead. The cabin steward could not help with that - it was a ship's officer in the hotel department that was able to correct the situation. /QUOTE]

We have had the same and only problem in all of our cruises.

Mike:)

We just finished a Panama Canal partial transit on the coral a week ago. I inadvertently entered a wrong four digit code in the safe. When I tired to open the safe with the number we always use, it would not open. I notified our room steward, and he had to get one of the ships officers to open it. The steward did not have the means to do so.

I'm so sorry this has happened to them. That's a lot of money to lose! :(

I understand you said they're very spry and I believe you, but my mother is also and is 5 yrs. younger and I can easily see her misplacing money. I hope that is the case and that it wasn't stolen. It would've helped to bring it up to the cabin steward right away and his superiors also.

I notified our room steward, and he had to get one of the ships officers to open it. The steward did not have the means to do so.
That's true. The only people who could have taken the money would have been a Security Officer. Stewards don't have access. Plus, their protocol is very strict that you HAVE to be present when they open the safe.

Once, when I embarked the ship, the previous passengers had "locked" the safe with the door open. The safe was unusable since it couldn't be closed as the bar was locked and in the way. I called the Passenger Services Desk and reported it. They said I had to be there and I insisted that I didn't since the safe door was locked in the "open" position and there was nothing in the safe. We went back and forth until I finally convinced them that I didn't have to be there. It took some convincing! ROFL!

Edited by Pam in CA

Same here aswell, 88 and 89 ? Enough said....Out.

I agree...

In addition to having worked on the ship and in land hotels for many years, I can not tell you the number of times people were ABSOLUTELY sure that something was missing... until we found it somewhere else in the room or their friends room or we called their family at home and they had left it on the kitchen table.

I've even had times where money was claimed missing until we back tracked everything they had done only for them to realize they had forgotten about a purchase they had made.

I leave my money on the desk, I don't even use the safe on ships. The crew is so paranoid that they are constantly being tested and that it's a trap, lol

On the other side of the coin, how embarrassing for someone to allege that their room steward stole something, to find it's not true.... and then not apologize .... I've seen it time and time again, smh

I'm so sorry this has happened to them. That's a lot of money to lose! :(

I understand you said they're very spry and I believe you, but my mother is also and is 5 yrs. younger and I can easily see her misplacing money. I hope that is the case and that it wasn't stolen. It would've helped to bring it up to the cabin steward right away and his superiors also.

Agree. I am a lot younger and there are many times a day that I can't remember where I put something. That really is a lot of money for two ladies that age to be bringing onboard.

Strange that they didn't say something right away. And why didn't they count their money right away rather then "it looked ok". There are cameras in all the hall ways. They will review them if something happens. Also, they have a record of every card and time that is used to gain entry into all cabins, so they could have reviewed that.

We had a friend on a cruise that could not find his watch. Security came and searched every inch of the cabin twice and also reviewed the cabin entry cards . Not sure what exactly happened but later that day the watch was returned to him.

We had a problem with our safe on a cruise. (I think DH locked it with a different number than the one we always use.) Anyway, our excursion tickets were locked in it, and we needed to get them out quickly. A security guy came to our cabin and unlocked the safe for us. We made it in time for the excursion.

We don't carry that much cash with us on cruises. It's not that I don't trust the crew members who have access to the safe, it's that we don't need that much cash since most things are either on our cruise accounts or paid for with credit cards.

It would have to be worth a lot to a crew member, as getting caught would surely result in getting sent home.

Ah, not exactly true. My DH just retired as a police officer and his zone covered a major outlet shopping mall in our area. Unfortunately, he has arrested many, many ships' crew members for shoplifting. I can't tell you if they were eventually sent home, but I can tell you that they definitely missed the boat!

Most of them were not arrested for grand theft ($300+) - but on minor shoplifting charges.

Agree. I am a lot younger and there are many times a day that I can't remember where I put something.

Definitely happens to me a lot, lol!

My traveling friend once loaned something to our steward. A few days later she mentioned to me that he never returned it. I had to tell her that she said he could use it longer. She didn't remember saying that to him. At all, lol. He asked if he could keep it a little longer and she distinctly said yes, lol. What I think happened was that she thought he was asking something different. :rolleyes:

Re the OP, I'm just going to throw a couple of things out there, not trying to say they did or didn't do this...

The safes have a lip where things can slide under towards the front of the safe. I think that paper money would most likely show at least a little, but being on the short side, if it's under there even partially, I can't see it. I picked up a tip on these boards about putting my things in a Ziploc bag before putting it in the safe and that is more easily seen, but I also know now to check under that lip just in case.

Is there any possibility it just got left under the lip?

(I think DH locked it with a different number than the one we always use.) QUOTE]

We always use the same number too and now I make a habit of looking at the number before pressing the Lock button. I have fat fingered the number a couple of times.

Edited by Tedferg

We always use the same number too and now I make a habit of looking at the number before pressing the Lock button. I have fat fingered the number a couple of times.

And after locking it, it flashes the code a couple of times. I always pay attention to that in case I had entered it incorrectly.

Edited by caribill