Parrots allowed?

gfswolf

Hi,

My wife and I have never taken a cruse but we're thinking about taking one this summer. We have an Amazon parrot who is less than a year old and would be traumatized if we left him for a week. Are parrots allowed on cruises? Thanks.

But you'll probably want to upgrade to a Royal suite to give it room to fly around.

Of course you will need to take out a fairly good chunk of liability insurance for your baby.

You know- for when your cabin steward or butler comes down with psittacosis, or loses a finger to a parrot bite.

The good news is that you can probably get all the crackers Polly will want from room service. And since the suite comes with a bathtub, you could bring your baby gator, too

Pets aren't allowed under any circumstances. Doesn't matter what kind of pet, they aren't allowed for many reasons including liabilities, allergies of other passengers, noise and the laws of the countries you're visiting.

Pets aren't allowed under any circumstances. Doesn't matter what kind of pet, they aren't allowed for many reasons including liabilities, allergies of other passengers, noise and the laws of the countries you're visiting.

It sounds like the OP will be cruising - well, never. Not going on too many other type vacations for the next 40 years either if they have to take the "bird". Seriously, this has to be a joke. Who in their right mind would think they could take their bird with them when they travel, especially internationally.

Actually this is not entirely correct. Guide animals are allowed, and some pets are allowed on Cunard as well as a few other non-mass market lines.

Regardless, I don't believe the OP is asking a serious question anyway.

Of course your bird is not allowed. But if you really are cruising this summer, you have 4 months to get it used to the idea of you being gone.

Hi,

My wife and I have never taken a cruse but we're thinking about taking one this summer. We have an Amazon parrot who is less than a year old and would be traumatized if we left him for a week. Are parrots allowed on cruises? Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You'll have to forgive all the smart remarks. Sometimes people forget what it was like when they took their first cruise and had what I remember mine as being "crazy" questions.

We had two cockatiels and it was hard leaving them at home for a week at a time. I also had a hard time finding a vet who would take birds as boarders so I finally paid a friend of mine to come every day to check on my birds, feed them, change their water and paper.

I now have a kitten that replaced the birds I had to give up and it is hard leaving her when I cruise. If you search for pets you will find that all of our pets hate to see our luggage come out and I think leaving them is harder on us then on our pets.

Go and enjoy yourself and relax.

Hi,

no pets of any sort allowed except dogs in kennels on transatlantic crossings only.

It sounds like the OP will be cruising - well, never. Not going on too many other type vacations for the next 40 years either if they have to take the "bird". Seriously, this has to be a joke. Who in their right mind would think they could take their bird with them when they travel, especially internationally.

We have three birds that go almost ever where with us. To people that have hires they are part of the family, just like a dog or cat. They even go " out to lunch" too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they allowed you to take a parrot and it kept squeaking would someone eat it for dinner? What about a mule?

No, a mule is pretty safe.

They don't squawk, they're too big for the oven, & they're not a delicacy such as a Norwegian Blue parrot.

Or did I mis-understand?

JB :)

Hi,

If you're kidding, welcome to Cruise Critic. You've gotten the predictable response.

If you're not kidding, welcome to Cruise Critic. You've gotten the predictable response.

No, parrots are not allowed. Service animals (dogs and miniature horses) are allowed under the ADA on ships docking at U.S. ports. Pets are not allowed except on some trans-Atlantic crossings on some ships, and then they are generally confined to a kennel area.

Some people claim their pets are service animals in order to get them places pets normally wouldn't be allowed. However, the ADA has been amended so that only dogs and miniature horses are included under the act. So no "service parrots", and no pet parrots either.

Can you get a pet-sitter? Your parrot is likely to be less traumatized if he stays in his own home, and if you start now getting him used to the person who will be pet-sitting, it might not be so traumatic for him.

Edited by BeagleOne

...snip...I now have a kitten that replaced the birds I had to give up and it is hard leaving her when I cruise. If you search for pets you will find that all of our pets hate to see our luggage come out and I think leaving them is harder on us then on our pets.

Go and enjoy yourself and relax.

My cat loves when I leave out my luggage. It gives her a perch to sleep on.

10249417266_6c73d1b546_z.jpg

..And when we get home, the cats' look at us as if to say "You were gone?"

...snip...

Some people claim their pets are service animals in order to get them places pets normally wouldn't be allowed. However, the ADA has been amended so that only dogs and miniature horses are included under the act. So no "service parrots", and no pet parrots either.

...snip...

Back in 2000, a woman brought her pig on a flight as a "service animal". The pig was not welcome on a plane again:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95217

No, a mule is pretty safe.

They don't squawk, they're too big for the oven, & they're not a delicacy such as a Norwegian Blue parrot.

Or did I mis-understand?

JB :)

We took our Norwegian Blue on vacation once but it just sat there "pining for the fjords". :p

My cat loves when I leave out my luggage. It gives her a perch to sleep on.

After a recent trip it became obvious that my faithful wheelie bag needed to be retired. I laid it on the floor and unpacked it, and closed it up. It became a cat hammock in under five minutes. So it's having a second career!

When our dog (who was rescued by hubby during a thunderstorm after being abandon by his past a$$ of an owner, but never got over his separation anxiety) was still alive, he would be dropped off at my in-laws for the duration of our cruises. Eventually he would calm down and hang out with my FIL, who fed him table scraps :(. He once also helped himself to one of my FIL's pigeons once and had a really bad tummy ache when we picked him up.

No way would we have even considered taking him on a cruise. And when we had a cricket-quarium to teach our girl about insects and science (she did get also a lesson in the birds and the bees;)), just before our cruise that year, I took the cricket project to school to show her third grade class (fortunately no cricket relations going on) and then cut open the project (built from a couple of two-liter bottles) to let them out into our garden. They weren't going on our cruise either.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Pay your vet to take care of your parrot while you are away.

While we don't have Parrots, we have 2 Dogs and they stay boarded at our Vet for the time we are away. It's never fun to leave a pet with someone else or in a different environment. But most guides tell you that animals live for or in the moment.

A day, 3 days, 5 days or more.. As long as your pet has the basic care and attention they will greet you when you come home or go to pick them up just like it was as if you left yesterday.

As far as the stress they may endure, a good tip is to make sure you have the care giver give them things like treats or toys that they are familiar with to help alleviate some of the stress. In my case we have 2 dogs that are twins and just being together keeps them a little more comfortable. As far as their favorite treat a slice of apple goes way farther than a dog biscuit. We make sure we leave them a few sliced apples that the vet refrigerates.

Another thing is not to tell them you are sorry. If your sorry then it would be you that needs the care of them then you needing to care for them and you might have just as well stayed home.

Just my 2 cents and the vet gets a lot more than 2 cents, but I know my vet will take care of them and supply them with what they need while I am gone and when I come back they will be happy to see me.

Edited by InvKevin