Johnny Rockets now $5.95?

It's six bucks for all you can eat !!:eek::eek: How much do you pay when you go to Furrs or Golden Corral ? Twice as much.

We have lunch once a week (senior prices) at Golden Corral. We pay just over $15 for both of us including EVERYTING (drinks too).

This just a question NOT A complaint!!! Just sayin".

Where else can you get that amount of food for $5.95? A Big Mac,fries and drink is $8.95. As for "nickel and diming" everything is going up in price so it is not unreasonable to expect to pay more than your cruise several years ago for the extras.

You aren't getting the food for $5.95. You are getting it for some portion of your cruise fare PLUS $5.95.

I can understand both sides to this argument. They are, little by little, adding more and more up charges, but at least they are making them optional. It's not like you can't get a burger and fries elsewhere on the ship. The burgers at Johnny Rockets are much better of course.

It's also not a big fee. The times we've gone the crew there did dances and singing and it was upbeat and a whole "experience" beyond just working your way through the buffet line for a burger with the crowd. I think you're paying more for that than the food.

The thing I don't get is, if they are having trouble attracting patrons now why do they think the publicity of even a small increase will make more people want to go there. Sure, it's only a $1, but psychologically people still see it as paying more for something they weren't even sure they wanted to pay for before. We'd pay more for a fruity drink, but that's the only way we can get a fruity drink :)

I hope this doesn't backfire to the point of hurting the restaurant and it closing down. Like several people in this thread, we enjoy it once or twice on a cruise and it's a nice change.

Tom

IMO all the whinges about service and services going down on cruise ships these days is because people expect to get something for nothing or very little! Sorry to sound harsh and I am sure I will get flamed - but a cruise is still a very economical way to travel and if prices get pushed too far down then the whole product will suffer. You pay a good price and you get a good service.

Be careful what you wish for. You buy cheap you pay twice.

Or is that just me?

This was JUST A QUESTION regarding the cover at JR. Why do people get so self defensive and start lecturing? This wasn't ment to be argumentative. JUST A QUESTION. Just sayin'>

This was JUST A QUESTION regarding the cover at JR. Why do people get so self defensive and start lecturing? This wasn't ment to be argumentative. JUST A QUESTION. Just sayin'>

Sadly, that is the way it has become around here. It really doesnt matter what you post anymore, someone will try to turn it into an argument.

It's six bucks for all you can eat !!:eek::eek: How much do you pay when you go to Furrs or Golden Corral ? Twice as much.

Exactly, and we are definitely going to hit JR up when we cruise on EOS this Oct. I don't believe desert's are include though, am I right?

Sadly, that is the way it has become around here. It really doesnt matter what you post anymore, someone will try to turn it into an argument.

Thank you!, Yes, I know too well. I've read these forums for over five years and may have contributed a few negatives myself. Sorry. I must be in a touchy mood today but I felt the need to confront the obvious. Didn't mean to start a firestorm with this question. Discussions regarding the question I understand.

Still worth it, especially compared to what it would cost on land. If it crept up a dollar more, I would start to think twice.

But the difference is that you are already paying an amount of money for food on the cruise, so the real question is the additional cost worth it for what you get from JR versus other places you can get food on the ship.

For me personally, it is not worth it, since it is not a TRUE JR experience. My local JR's has fresh hamburger which is ground locally and is cooked to order when I order it. On the ship OTOH, the patties are frozen, precooked, and always cooked to a dried out very well done. I do not like hamburgers like this.

I would rather spend the extra money locally and get a true JR burger!

Yes, it's "only a dollar". But the dollars start to add up. Not that I have a problem paying for quality, but I just think this is penny pinching. Now I'm not a fan of Carnival, but they give away those Guys burgers and fries for free and they are way better than JR. I think Royal can too, but they are trying to keep money in the pockets of the execs, and we have to pay that cost.

I never paid $4.95 for Johnny Rockets because the quality isnt worth it. I am certainly not going to pay $5.95. I probably wouldn't eat there even if it were included, only because in my opinion, they are low quality burgers, not much better than BK or McDonalds. Now, if they served Smashburger, I might want to go. But, even then, its a place I can go to at home. I would rather see them do something unique that you can only do on ship.

That being said, Celebrity can put a much better quality product out with the Bistro on 5 for a low price. Get a Celebrity Chef to license their name and menu and do something unique for a small upcharge that makes it worth it.

If you are someone that wants a suite, from what I have been reading, NCL blows the doors off of Royal. My first sailing on NCL is going to be out of NOLA in a suite so we'll see. No haven but at least I'll get a feel of it.

Deb....that's what I've heard regarding NCL Suites. Hope it's true. Cost, not including all the "gimmes" was in high $4K range for the Breakaway.

Looked at Oasis and Allure, and the cost for an ocean view balcony was over $5K with some piddly little OBC.

CCL, Celebrity and Princess had some good deals, too. Had been looking for a year, so it's not like prices had just gone haywire recently. The other cruise lines are going after those who might consider RCCL, as well as others.

from wikipedia entry on Internet forum:

Forums prefer a premise of open and free discussion and often adopt de facto standards. Most common topics on forums include questions, comparisons, polls of opinion as well as debates. It is not uncommon for nonsense or unsocial behavior to sprout as people lose temper, especially if the topic is controversial. Poor understanding of differences in values of the participants is a common problem on forums. Because replies to a topic are often worded aimed at someone's point of view, discussion will usually go slightly off into several directions as people question each other's validity, sources and so on. Circular discussion and ambiguity in replies can extend for several tens of posts of a thread eventually ending when everyone gives up or attention spans waver and a more interesting subject takes over. It is not uncommon for debate to end in ad hominem attacks.

I love JRs but at some point we will stop going. I can walk into a 5 Guys with 6 bucks and get a excellent burger and fries,minus the Fudge sundae without paying a $1000 cruise fare.

On Oasis I enjoyed the 3.95 shrimp basket at Seafood shack, but in 7 days I was one of about 20 people in the place. I expect to see some changes in the boardwalk areas on Oasis class.

We usually do go to JR on Explorer. And I like the burgers much more than the ones in the Windjammer. But you are so right. 5 guys is by far a much better burger.

But the difference is that you are already paying an amount of money for food on the cruise, so the real question is the additional cost worth it for what you get from JR versus other places you can get food on the ship.

For me personally, it is not worth it, since it is not a TRUE JR experience. My local JR's has fresh hamburger which is ground locally and is cooked to order when I order it. On the ship OTOH, the patties are frozen, precooked, and always cooked to a dried out very well done. I do not like hamburgers like this.

I would rather spend the extra money locally and get a true JR burger!

Ahhh.....We sat at the counter on my Freedom cruise back in October and watched them make our unfrozen, formed, cooked to order, juicy Med Well burgers! I can understand if you don't want to eat there but don't present things as fact as if it was truth! :cool:

Ahhh.....We sat at the counter on my Freedom cruise back in October and watched them make our unfrozen, formed, cooked to order, juicy Med Well burgers! I can understand if you don't want to eat there but don't present things as fact as if it was truth! :cool:

Same thing on my Freedom cruise as well. FRESH hamburger meat, formed and cooked to order. I watched it with my own eyes! I know the OP likes to dog on the Johnny Rockets on RCI ships but his experience is NOT my experience at all.

Edited by ryano

About the fresh ground meat. It is really fresh or unfrozen ground beef tht they form into a burger when a order is placed? For me I would hope that is is frozen cause the shelf life of ground beef is not very long.

Also, what is a Smashburger?

About the fresh ground meat. It is really fresh or unfrozen ground beef tht they form into a burger when a order is placed? For me I would hope that is is frozen cause the shelf life of ground beef is not very long.

http://www.smashburger.com

Love it, but partially because the boys love it so much. Not sure I'd go without them.

Edited by DrD

I really dont know if they freeze their ground beef or not. They may very well do that in bulk and thaw it out as they need it.

All I know is, I watched them make my burger and they formed it out of ground beef. It was NOT a frozen "bubba burger" looking, pre formed pattie at all.

Edited by ryano

Thanks. I was thinking they hit the burger with a hammer! :)

Well, actually, they do smash the patties with some kind of special hammer prior to cooking. Not sure what that's supposed to do but the kids like it.

And they have great fries, seasoned with rosemary and oil. Also have sweet potato fries. And the kid's menu is available for all if you're a light eater.

Edited by DrD

There are different options for the ground beef as to how it is packaged and to what state it is prepared that will give it a shelf life of over 20 days without ever being frozen.

http://www.meatami.com/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/5909