Johnny Rockets now $5.95?

IMO all the whinges about service and services going down on cruise ships these days is because people expect to get something for nothing or very little! Sorry to sound harsh and I am sure I will get flamed - but a cruise is still a very economical way to travel and if prices get pushed too far down then the whole product will suffer. You pay a good price and you get a good service.

Be careful what you wish for. You buy cheap you pay twice.

Or is that just me?

I completely agree with Russ - we are going on the Oasis of the Sea in April and do not plan on eating at Johnny Rockets or any other food court that I have to pay for during the day.....Like others have said you already have paid for the food in your cruise price, why eat at places that you have to pay extra? We are planning on going to Chops once during our 7 day cruise - but that is it. There is plenty of free food on board.

Just my two cents....

I love JRs but at some point we will stop going. I can walk into a 5 Guys with 6 bucks and get a excellent burger and fries,minus the Fudge sundae without paying a $1000 cruise fare.

On Oasis I enjoyed the 3.95 shrimp basket at Seafood shack, but in 7 days I was one of about 20 people in the place. I expect to see some changes in the boardwalk areas on Oasis class.

Most people don't consider average burgers and fries "repulsive".....:rolleyes:

Exactly! I will tell you whats repulsive! That "pattie" of mystery meat floating in a grease pond that they try to pass off as a burger in the Windjammer :D

We may wait until the last day or so and see if we have any onboard credit left. That would be the only way we would go there most likely. I like the place and food but there are too many "free" options. We have like $500 onboard credit and aren't big drinkers, maybe 2 or 3 a day each so we may have some left unless the wife goes off and orders every photo we have taken of us and the kids and the ds blows it all in the arcade.:eek:

IMO all the whinges about service and services going down on cruise ships these days is because people expect to get something for nothing or very little! Sorry to sound harsh and I am sure I will get flamed - but a cruise is still a very economical way to travel and if prices get pushed too far down then the whole product will suffer. You pay a good price and you get a good service.

Or is that just me?

No flaming here, I agree with you. Everyone is looking how to save a buck and still keep the prices low. Something has to give somewhere.

There is nothing technical about it.

Yes, $1 is one tenth of one per cent of $1,000. But that is irrelevant.

Increasing a price of $4.95 to $5.95 is an increase of 20%.

Increasing cruise fare of $1,000 to $1,200 is an increase of 20%.

Mentioning one does not diminish the other.

Like and agree.

Put this with the increase in 8x10 photos from $19.95 to $20.95 on our recent Brilliance sailing, plus the increase from $0.65 per minute to $0.85 per minute for Internet access, and the raising of speciality restaurant charges (reportedly Chops Grille up from $30 to $35, & Giovanni's table from $20 to $25), all these are making us reconsider RCI as our preferred cruise line as these are things (including JR's) that we enjoy on a cruise.

No doubt I reckon there are more increases that I am not aware of due to our choices onboard.

I completely agree with Russ - we are going on the Oasis of the Sea in April and do not plan on eating at Johnny Rockets or any other food court that I have to pay for during the day.....Like others have said you already have paid for the food in your cruise price, why eat at places that you have to pay extra? We are planning on going to Chops once during our 7 day cruise - but that is it. There is plenty of free food on board.

Just my two cents....

As with anything else while on a vacation it's all about choice! Just because you can eat at other places for free does not mean that I want to eat at those places all the time. On our most recent cruise, we wanted to have a nice big burger rather than the pre cooked thin in the warmer tray hard around the edges from cooking in the grease in the bottom of the pan bugers that are in the Windjammer. We eat lunch in the Windjammer every day of the cruise but for one day we made the choice to have Johnny Rockets. a $1.00 increase is not going to be a big deal to the people who like Johnny Rockets. Since it is not one of free venues on the ship everyone has a choice to eat there or not! For us $5.95 is not going to break us or cause us to have to not have something else on board or have one less drink for the week! :cool:

I don't know why people think prices should stay the same forever! When the menu prices at folks favorite restaurant goes up, I bet they think nothing of it!

Edited by bigque

Oh. My. Gosh. A dollar. Who cares. We are talking about Johnny Rockets for gosh sake. Nevermind :eek:.

LOL

The problem with this is..........a dollar here a dollar there no more this no more that. Those dollars add up over time. Heck-I don't feel the need for JR's on any cruise anyways!!.:D

Point is, when I said this years ago on here I was attacked. All these dollars and pay for venues are making AI's much less expensive then a cruise. I can eat in any restaurant and not be charged a fee. Drink all day. Some excursions included. Tips included. If you feel the food on your cruise, that you paid for, that is included in your cruise fare is so horrid you only will eat in pay for venues......who's really winning on that one!!:eek:

Or is that just me?

I'm completely on your side!

I didn't know you could do that. How much is it to just go in and get a shake?

I think the shakes were 4.95. If you are a Crown and Anchor member, there is a BOGO free offer.

You dont have to pay the cover just to walk in and get a milkshake.

To get technical about it, it's a 20.2% increase.

In any event, I don't really get the draw of Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. We've tried it, and it was good, but not really something I'm drawn to while in the Caribbean. Judging by the foot traffic I've seen during my cruises I don't think I'm in the minority. Maybe they need increased income form those who do enjoy it to make it financially feasible. :cool:

To get technical about it, it's a 20.2% increase.

In any event, I don't really get the draw of Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. We've tried it, and it was good, but not really something I'm drawn to while in the Caribbean. Judging by the foot traffic I've seen during my cruises I don't think I'm in the minority. Maybe they need increased income form those who do enjoy it to make it financially feasible. :cool:

There are people like myself who likes burgers. Although not everyday I do like to have a good burger at times!

On my Freedom cruise last year it was a packed house on the day we went. There was a line to get in. :cool:

Edited by bigque

Like and agree.

Put this with the increase in 8x10 photos from $19.95 to $20.95 on our recent Brilliance sailing, plus the increase from $0.65 per minute to $0.85 per minute for Internet access, and the raising of speciality restaurant charges (reportedly Chops Grille up from $30 to $35, & Giovanni's table from $20 to $25), all these are making us reconsider RCI as our preferred cruise line as these are things (including JR's) that we enjoy on a cruise.

No doubt I reckon there are more increases that I am not aware of due to our choices onboard.

These increase are not so bad if you're a party of 2. But if you travel with a family of 6 or more, these increases add up to real money quickly. :eek:

While I'm not a fan of price increases, it's happening everywhere. Grocery stores, gas stations, hair salons, nail salons, etc. It's costing more and more just to get through each day. So I'm not surprised when something on a cruise goes up.

That said, the increase in cost now makes my coupons that I got with my booking to JR more valuable.

Not that i support the additional surcharge for the repulsive food, but, if you want to get technical, $1 is .1% of a $1000 cruise. Immaterial.

He meant 20% increase in the cover charge of the restaurant. If the price of the cruise went up $1 and you could eat in JR for free, that would be a .1% increase of the cruise fare. But a $1 increase of a $5 cover charge is 20%.

It's a specialty restaurant so people SHOULD expect to pay extra. I'll do it when I go.

People pay 1,000's of dollars for some of these cruises and then worry about the $5.95 JR charges. MAN, as some have said, you can eat for free all day and night, if you don't want to eat at JR's and don't want to pay the $5.95, then just don't go there! It seems pretty simple to me! :cool:

Yes, it's "only a dollar". But the dollars start to add up. Not that I have a problem paying for quality, but I just think this is penny pinching. Now I'm not a fan of Carnival, but they give away those Guys burgers and fries for free and they are way better than JR. I think Royal can too, but they are trying to keep money in the pockets of the execs, and we have to pay that cost.