Are cruise documents dead?

youngm3571

It used to be a big deal to me to get that thick envelope in the mail

Thick envelope I think says it all. I am happy to be saving anything that I can on my cruise, even if it is just the postage from that thick envelope that I no longer get. :cool:

Some TA's and cruise lines still do but the trend is going electronic. It saves the cruise line money by not having to print thousands of pages and then pay to send them to you. They will say they aren't doing it to be green...partly true, the other part is its much less expensive.

It's been a long time since Princess sent out documents. I think the last time I received docs from Princess was 2007. Electronic docs and print-your-own luggage tags.

After having had docs and luggage tags not arrive due to being caught in holiday mail until the day before I was flying out (not Princess), I am so thankful I can print out everything I need. The stress of not having my docs, particularly since I was taking a 5-day pre-cruise ship's tour and the docs had my tour travel docs and vouchers, was unimaginable.

So, what's the procedure if you don't have access to a computer, wouldn't know what to do with one even if you did and book directly with Princess (using your corded land line ;))? Will Princess mail your documents and luggage tags? Can you fill out your Personalizer over the phone or by mail?

There must be a few old timers out there that fit this scenario.

I assume if you use a TA some of these issues can be handled by the agent.

So, what's the procedure if you don't have access to a computer, wouldn't know what to do with one even if you did and book directly with Princess (using your corded land line ;))? Will Princess mail your documents and luggage tags? Can you fill out your Personalizer over the phone or by mail?

Head to the library, dragoon the kids or grandkids, take advantage of a friend. Plenty of options for the luddite crowd... :)

Certainly you know someone who can print out the needed boarding pass and luggage tags as well as fill out oyour cruise personalizer.

Just wondered how you posted on CC without a computer?

I confess that I do miss doing the, "doc dance" when the envelope arrived. It really marked that we were about to cruise again. The envelope was full of paper that we always read through even though we could probably recite every paragraph from memory. Now we print what we need.

We know that electronic docs save Princess a lot of money and aren't a problem for their pxs with or without computers/printers - but I still miss the envelope arrival.

I agree that it's exciting to get something in the mail. I was a bit disappointed when i read about printing out my own luggage tags. This is our first Princess cruise, we've taken 3 Disney and you get a pack in the mail with a little binder and luggage tags- it just gives me one more thing to look forward to that vacation is coming up.

I can live without it, but I'd rather not lol

I use my laptop all the time, but the library or my sister's printer. It is the computer age and the company I retired from insists we use it for all transactions. I enjoyed getting the documents but really didn't need all the things included.

I hadn't cruised for a long time and wasn't sure how I would like the "new" way but it worked fine. I used clear packing tape for the luggage tags, worked great. I've ordered the plastic tags to put them in for my next cruise, they are nice.

It's Funny that this post showed up today. Our travel agent will still print our docs off and hand deliver them to us. But when we got them today, my husband said, this is it? two pieces of paper!

I remember the day when we couldn't wait for the release of the excursion book to come in the mail, then we would go to 'DOC Parties" at my travel agents home. Now...........2 pieces of paper, LOL

We printed off our 'Docs' the other day at the 75 day mark when they become available. Received a call of my TA asking if we needed them to print anything of for us. Printed all my stuff off in work, so no cost to me on paper and ink.....

Certainly you know someone who can print out the needed boarding pass and luggage tags as well as fill out oyour cruise personalizer.

Just wondered how you posted on CC without a computer?

Telekinesis

I'm sure your TA would gladly send them to you if you do not use a computer. I do know a few seniors that do not use computers and are afraid of them. But I was sure surprised when someone here on another thread talked about getting their documents by mail the day before, yet they were using cruising cruise critic. I had no idea some cruisers still got documents in the mail.

I do still get excited at the 75 day mark when I can print up everything. For my next cruise I think today is the day and will check later.:D

Our TA does it for any of her clients who are not able to do it for themselves.

She also works with them on booking their shore excursions in advance.

LuLu

~~~~

If you book direct, I believe it costs $25 for them to print up your documents and luggage tags and snail-mail them to you.

We are much happier to simply take one or two printed pages with our reservation details.

The old document sets were a waste of paper and a waste of money. We simply get tags at the embarkation port-takes all of about one minute to fill them out.

Edited by iancal