Oasis/Allure - Is Windjammer intolerable on embarkation day?

Hi -

I know that the WJ is too small for these ships and gets really crazy on embarkation day, but does anyone know what time it usually fills up? I imagine that if you board early and go there first, it still might be OK?

We went on Allure last year and, following CC advice, went to Giovanni's for lunch on embarkation day. It was a good lunch but I don't want to pay the cover for my kids this year and also it was just too much food for lunch and we were not hungry for dinner that evening. We plan to board Oasis in July as early as we can. Will the WJ still be OK up until noon?

Has anyone gone to the Seafood Shack on embarkation day? I keep hearing that this place is always empty.

The Windjammer can get crowded for lunch on boarding day but Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, and Park Cafe are also open and are complementary.

There is a good amount of people there but we always seem to get a table. DW and I would take turns up at the buffett line that way we don't lose our seats :)

Hi -

I know that the WJ is too small for these ships and gets really crazy on embarkation day, but does anyone know what time it usually fills up? I imagine that if you board early and go there first, it still might be OK?

We went on Allure last year and, following CC advice, went to Giovanni's for lunch on embarkation day. It was a good lunch but I don't want to pay the cover for my kids this year and also it was just too much food for lunch and we were not hungry for dinner that evening. We plan to board Oasis in July as early as we can. Will the WJ still be OK up until noon?

Has anyone gone to the Seafood Shack on embarkation day? I keep hearing that this place is always empty.

The CL does a good buffet, with drinks on embarkation day. Never busy, nice and relaxed way to start a cruise, without all that noise, crush and table hoggers of the Windjammer to contend with.;)

The Windjammer can get crowded for lunch on boarding day but Sorrento's, Cafe Promenade, and Park Cafe are also open and are complementary.

And so is the Wipeout Café. Few people seemed to know about it when we were last on Allure and it was almost empty when we went.

The CL does a good buffet, with drinks on embarkation day. Never busy, nice and relaxed way to start a cruise, without all that noise, crush and table hoggers of the Windjammer to contend with.;)

...if you happen in a Grand Suite or higher or C & A Diamond+ or higher. Otherwise the CL is not available.

We were on the Allure in January and arrived after boarding had started, I think around 12:30ish. I wanted to go to Giovanni's for a leisurely lunch, but my boyfriend was adamant that I had trained him WJ on embarkation day for Honey Stung Chicken and I guess now it's not a cruise unless we do that....

Anyway, I was afraid of how bad the crowds would be. I was pleasantly surprised, when we arrived, they found us a table for 4 immediately. When we left there was a short line with what looked to be a large group that had just arrived.

In my opinion, it was not as bad as everyone has said--although I am sure each sailing is different. The good news is with the availability of many other options and as that word gets out, a lot do opt for other lunch venues.

On that note, I did see a long line at Park Cafe. As a matter of fact, Park Cafe always seemed very crowded anytime I went there during the week.

We went on Allure in December 2012. We went to the Windjammer around 12:30 and found the line was out the door, down the steps, and not moving at all. There were a lot of people in line in front of us. So we took the advice we had read on CC and went to Park Cafe. The line was also out the door and it looked like there were no tables unoccupied. We didn't want a big lunch at Giovannis. We ended up having wine and tapas at Vintages, but this would not be good for families.

We got on the ship early last year, on Grandeur, and we were fine finding a table in windjammer. We got on board early, cause we are Crown and Anchor gold. Park cafe has the BEST roast beef sandwhiches, i always head there first.

We went on Allure in December 2012. We went to the Windjammer around 12:30 and found the line was out the door, down the steps, and not moving at all. There were a lot of people in line in front of us. So we took the advice we had read on CC and went to Park Cafe. The line was also out the door and it looked like there were no tables unoccupied. We didn't want a big lunch at Giovannis. We ended up having wine and tapas at Vintages, but this would not be good for families.

Twice we have went to the Dog Haus on embarkation day and had the place to ourselves and then hit the beach pool

We always go to the Solarium, no lines, plenty of tables. The buffet has some great food with a good selection.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Solarium is an excellent option for lunch on embarkation day, and in general. I personally prefer Park Cafe, but even Park Cafe is starting to become quite crowded on embarkation day as the secret is out!

CL boarding lunch for those eligible was really nice on Oasis, but is not available on Allure (at least it wasn't Jan 2014).

On our Oasis cruise, fearing the long lines in the Windjammer, and wanting to try the infamous Roast Beef Sandwich, DH and I choose the Park Cafe. The sandwich did not disappoint, and we were able to secure a nice table outside, to enjoy the sunshine and a nice view of the park.

But something was missing.

I missed the hustle and bustle of the Windjammer. I love the crowds on embarkation day, and the hustle and bustle, the noise and the excitement the crowds and everyone is anxious to begin their cruise.

We always arrive at the port by 10:15; so even though we are a (lowly) gold C & A member :eek::D:D, we are still one of the first to board the ship. We plan to head directly to the Windjammer on embarkation day when we board the Allure in June.

I wouldn't go to the seafood shack, it's pretty bad quality IMHO for a speciality pay extra place. I would either go to the WJ, Park Cafe or even Wipe Out. Loved wipe out for breakfast with the made to order eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by thebooth

We got there early, and were amongst the first people onboard the ship. We worked our way up to the WJ at around 11:45am, and it wasn't crowded at all. But when we left around 12:30pm, there was a line to get in. I imagine that it stays crowded until the cabins open at 1pm because people don't know enough to vacate their table after they eat and wait elsewhere. A great many people stay camped at their WJ table until they can go to their cabin, even when they are done eating and there are people waiting for the tables to clear.

We ate many of our breakfasts and lunches at the WJ, and never found it intolerably crowded. Even when the electronic message boards showed the WJ as "red" and "full", we didn't think it was all that bad, and we were always able to find a seat towards the back.

Solarium is an excellent option for lunch on embarkation day, and in general. I personally prefer Park Cafe, but even Park Cafe is starting to become quite crowded on embarkation day as the secret is out!

My secret with the Park Cafe is eat light at lunch and go down before Muster, no lines at all.

My secret with the Park Cafe is eat light at lunch and go down before Muster, no lines at all.

Interesting! That's a good plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app