Where to sleep when you cabin-mate is ill?

I know this is a strange question to bring up, and I am sure I know the answer already. I just get annoyed and anxious when having to share a sleeping space with someone who is sick. This could be my spouse, child, friend, etc.

In a hotel, at least you have the option of booking another room for a few nights. I guess there is no where else to go on a ship.

I don't even mean sick enough to be quarantined, just plain sick like a cold.

We were 4 in a cabin when my DS got noro, then 24 hours later me then 24 hours later, DH.... We were in Mediterranean on RCCL and they gave us a free inside cabin for our 2 sons to be in while my DH and I finished with the every 30 minutes hogging the bathroom for several days. It was a godsend as my other son escaped getting sick. We were also very grateful for our balcony as we were quarantined and craved the fresh air as we got better. Here's the lesson that my son still hasn't learned... Don't bite your nails on a cruise ship!! Fingers in mouth introduces germs!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know this is a strange question to bring up, and I am sure I know the answer already. I just get annoyed and anxious when having to share a sleeping space with someone who is sick. This could be my spouse, child, friend, etc.

In a hotel, at least you have the option of booking another room for a few nights. I guess there is no where else to go on a ship.

I don't even mean sick enough to be quarantined, just plain sick like a cold.

Simply inquire at the front desk-

If they can't rent you an empty cabin, either you or your ill compatriot could sleep in the hospital.

Simply inquire at the front desk-

If they can't rent you an empty cabin, either you or your ill compatriot could sleep in the hospital.

The hospital would not be an option for a cold..

Jancruz1

The hospital would not be an option for a cold..

Jancruz1

If you moan enough, you can double with the Captain, trust me.

I don't agree with it. but you know how high maintenance some people can be-

-And I KNOW that you KNOW ;)

Perhaps you could get the beds separated into two singles? Or ask the steward(ess) to bring in a cot? Better than nothing.

Better yet, think ahead and book something bigger than a Penthouse

All the "me space" that one could possibly desire-

Marina-Vista-Suite-Floor-Diagram.jpg

met a woman who was "camping out" in Horizons while her husband was sick. She brought her pillow and extra blanket and slept up there until people began coming in for early coffee.

She then folded everything up, went back to room and began her day--solo! She told me if she got whatever he had, she expected him to return the favor.

met a woman who was "camping out" in Horizons while her husband was sick. She brought her pillow and extra blanket and slept up there until people began coming in for early coffee.

She then folded everything up, went back to room and began her day--solo! She told me if she got whatever he had, she expected him to return the favor.

I will have to tell DH that one

He went to the Sanctuary but found they took all the cushions away so had to put up with my hacking all night:eek:

The only option is to book 2 cabins:D his & hers

Sometimes I wonder if you guys are having fun with me. :eek:

Personally, I think that woman wins all Awards for running, jumping or standing gall.

Horizons is not a dormitory.

DH tried sleeping on the balcony but the chairs were too uncomfortable

LOL our first cruise 27 years ago was on The Big Red Boat (Tub really). Five of us in a cabin and the first night the ship was rocking so much almost everyone got sick (can you imagine the headlines today). There were only a few people in the dining room it was so bad - first my wife, then our son, then my daughter's friend all headed back to the room. When my daughter and i got to the room omg it was bad. She decided to tough it out in the room but I grabbed a bottle of Scotch and headed to the deck. I ended up on a lounge chair all night and crew members kept stopping by for a shot and a chat.

Great times...

Perhaps you could get the beds separated into two singles? Or ask the steward(ess) to bring in a cot? Better than nothing.

I agree that requesting the beds be separated into two singles (with the nighttables placed between them to gain the most separation) is a practical and doable aid.

If a person wants to sleep on deck in a lounge chair in the fresh air (regardless of temperature) to escape their cabin mate's illness, then I think that's fine, and I have heard of people doing it to escape severe pitching if they have a poorly located cabin for heavy seas. Otherwise, I don' t think it is AOK to spend the night sleeping in any of the public rooms. The person sleeping in a public room may very well already have the germs of the person left in the cabin (incubation time) and could potentially spread whatever illness it is to other people after spending an entire night "married" to a chair or sofa, and also it is unfair to other passengers and crew who have to encounter what Jim has correctly called a dormitory. It's fine to escape there for a couple of hours, just don't take your pillow and blanket. :rolleyes:

I like the idea mentioned above of either sleeping in twin beds, or sleeping on a cot (or on the floor) or in the sofa bed (if there is one) for some distance. As far as hearing someone cough, there are lots of great earplugs that will lessen the sound significantly. I always have some ear plugs in my purse, just in case.

Another thing I usually do is to bring a package of face masks for the two of us. You never know when something like that could be necessary, especially in the close quarters on an airplane.

I admit that I was a Girl Scout and our motto was "Be Prepared". :)

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

Actually I have been laughing. I thought it was "for better or worse". OMG, I got Norovirus on one trip. My DH didn't go anywhere as he thought he should "be there for me". He did get it, but to a much lesser extent. We were there for one another.

Some sicknesses, like Noro...you are contagious before you know you have it...then it is too late. A cold...someone mentioned incubation..most of the people on cruises...or a lot of them...in the cold weather come on board with illnesses.

Get over it and stay with your significant other. Sleeping in the public spaces only exposes others. OMG....You think you have heard it all and then you hear something else.

"I like the idea mentioned above of either sleeping in twin beds, or sleeping on a cot (or on the floor) or in the sofa bed (if there is one) for some distance."

Yikes, do NOT sleep on the floor. Awful place filled with germs....What you walked through during the day is now inches (millimeters?) from your nose and mouth.

Paul was quarantined for 53 hours during our February cruise. As another poster stated by the time the spouse is sick you have already been exposed. I was not confined to the cabin either but did leave during the day to let him rest. Since he was unable to eat solid foods, I grabbed a bite to eat elsewhere or ordered from room service. I anticipated I too would be sick, but did not even though I slept in the same bed. I would have never slept somewhere else.

Interesting fact. The steward cleans those cabins quarantined the very last. Then they change their clothing and discard their uniforms for immediate disinfect.

We had attended a performance at our local theatre the night before and the lady in our box area commented that her husband and son were unable to make it due to the flu. It was obvious she was also sick since Paul became sick within 24 hours.

We did receive minor compensation with the travel insurance company for his trip interruption even though my enjoyment was also interrupted. I was grateful I did not get sick and he was able to enjoy at least 4 of the 8 day cruise.

On one cruise my husband got very ill with cold like symptoms. We had a window cabin on another cruise line. Every time I came back in the cabin, I could barely stand the smell. I can only imagine what noro must be like. Ends up he had pneumonia. Didn't find out until we got home.

Cost us a fortune. I absolutely don't want to go on a cruise without a balcony, or some sort of window that opens!

LOL our first cruise 27 years ago was on The Big Red Boat (Tub really). Five of us in a cabin and the first night the ship was rocking so much almost everyone got sick (can you imagine the headlines today). There were only a few people in the dining room it was so bad - first my wife, then our son, then my daughter's friend all headed back to the room. When my daughter and i got to the room omg it was bad. She decided to tough it out in the room but I grabbed a bottle of Scotch and headed to the deck. I ended up on a lounge chair all night and crew members kept stopping by for a shot and a chat.

Great times...

Oh boy, this is bringing back memories of OUR Big Red Tub adventure. It was the Big Red Boat, technically Premier Cruise lines. We took off from NYC and noticed it was hot. As the night wore on, it was apparent that the AC had failed. Some people slept outside on deck chairs; a few on the lower floors slept with their cabin doors propped open. I tolerate heat well so I slept in one of the twin beds (that was in the old days when cruise lines hadn't figured out how to put two twins together!) My husband does NOT tolerate heat well, but he was on his first cruise (as I was) and determined to have a good time. We got to Boston the next morning all sweaty and went off for a great adventure. When we got back, we got the news that the ship couldn't move due to lack of AC and we would be returned home. We were given a new cruise but soon after that cruise, the company went out of business after stranding a shipload of people on the seas somewhere. Ah yes, "great times." Sure glad we found Oceania after that, and have never gone back.

I think sleeping anywhere like Horizons is ultra tacky. Many illnesses are not contagious just by being in proximity to a sick person. However, if I felt strongly that I needed to be out of my stateroom, I suppose I might consider bundling up and going way up top on the sun deck on a deck chair in a far corner. Hanging from a hook on the balcony won't work for us, as we often have inside cabins.

Luckily, I have never seen anyone sleeping on an Oceania ship, although I've seen one or two people nodding off at the library!

Edited by roothy123

The cruise ships get all the bad publicity for noro and other diseases BUT I think most of my travel ills seem to start on the airplanes. I caught strep throat on the flight to Tahiti and had a temp. of 104 by the time we got to Auckland for the cruise. DH did get the noro in Japan but luckily I did not catch it (though I did give him my horrible cold on the flight home).

I did ask that the beds be remade into twins. I did try to stay on my side of the room. :eek::eek: It just freaked me out that the cleaners and food delivery persons all had full hazmat suits on and delivered the food on special plates etc. I meanwhile was living there! Guess it was better than being quarantined along with him. By the way do just call the Dr. if you are sick. The magic shot has you over the troubles pretty much in 2-3 hours and you start to feel better. Not the time to "tough it out".

How many persons "lie" on the health forms. It is not like you can fly half way around the world to meet a cruise on a certain day and then ooops don't feel so good today. I usually am so excited I can ignore some symptons until they hit me harder the next day.:o

• 5 weeks later...

Mr Chew has had noro three times (including right now, thank you Nautica) and I have slept in the same bed, albeit facing away from him and positioning a pillow vertically between us) and have never caught it.

I cannot imagine trying to sleep for the night in one of the public spaces