Share your worst weather experience

LaraTiara

Thank you for sharing your stories. Worst weather wasn't horrific. We had gale force winds in Alaska and 30 foot waves which made the ship rock and roll while bobbing up and down. I loved the ride, but most of the pax and many of the crew were sick including hubby.

By far the worst weather we experienced was in Ketchikan, Alaska a few years ago. They are known for their rain and I grew up in the Pacific NW and I've never seen it rain so hard for so long. We rented a car that day and drove up and down the coast. It was still beautiful and we still talk about Ketchikan (but we mostly talk about how hard it rained).

Other than that, we have been very lucky to experience great weather.

OK, after reading all of the weather stories my little rain shower in Ketchikan seems a bit weak.

And the dear passengers who got sunburned in Alaska, now THAT is funny...not at all what I was expecting to read for "worst weather"!!

Some of you are courageous passengers indeed! I'm over here, taking travel notes: no South America, no TA in December, etc!!

My worst cruise weather was my Panama Canal Day. I had no clue when I woke up what was going on outside. We had fine weather so far on the cruise. It turns out it was perhaps the worst storm of the century in that area. The little town of Colon had major flooding. Basically I saw the Panama Canal squeezed in the window of the bow on Lido deck looking through the raindrops with all the other passengers it seems. The day was cancelled!!! We just floated in the lake all day and did not really move until our time slot to go back through the locks (weather no better) We only learned about the major flooding in Colon because the Photographers that were supposed to join the ship were stranded there. They took photos and forwarded them to the ship's photo department and they were put out on display.ry%3D400

We've had big, big waves both times we've cruised in the Tasman Sea, but I don't recall particularly rainy weather.

Two coldest days: Punta Arenas, Chile and Hobart, Tasmania. It snowed on us in the Straits of Magellan.

Rainiest day: Grand Cayman. They tried to take us out to Stingray City and cancelled the trip half way out on the boat. Returning to the tender area on the bus, we went through such deep water that it was pouring in the door and finally stalled the bus.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Our worst weather while on a cruise occurred while we were on the NCL Pride of America in February 2010 cruising around Hawaii. Shortly after leaving Kona headed to Kaua'i the seas started getting VERY, VERY, VERY rough and everyone was having trouble walking. At one point I learned what it feels like to be weightless as the floor sink out from under me. We went to eat at the buffet and walking while carrying our plates was a challenge as you could not walk a straight line. We learned that we were going through a force 10 storm (50 knot winds and 30-40 foot seas) and it would last most of the night. It felt like the ship was being tossed around like a small boat in a bad storm. On regular intervals there were severe vibrations and loud noises along with the vibrations. I learned later back at home from a co-worker that is ex-Navy that it was the “screws” (propellers) coming out of the water. All of the outside decks were closed. It is the first time that I have seen a cruise ship put out stacks of sea sick bags at about at every flat surface, and at the top and bottom of the stairs. We retreated to our cabin as it was about as mid-ship as you could get and was on the lowest deck of the ship for passengers. It was better there but still a lot of rocking and bouncing. In the morning while we were still in the cabin there was still a LOT of movement.

WOW, I thought that being at sea during Superstorm Sandy and Irene the year before were scary, but nothing compared to the experiences I've read in this thread. In all fairness, we were tied to the dock in Boston and held in place by two huge tugs pushing us, for about 3 days, so Sandy wasn't as horrible as it could have been, thank heavens. Princess took very good care of us for both storms.

We actually sailed for 3 days trying to fight our way back Port Camaveral during Superstorm Sandy and it was......WOW......:eek:

We had 80 to 100 mph winds and 30 ft seas! Supposed to dock on Saturday but we could not get in so we rode in circles in that mess off the coast of Miami until we could limp in late morning in Sunday!

When I got off I swore I was done cruising for a while.....that was in October and by January I was right back on another cruise.....:rolleyes:

Worst weather was a 1996 NCL cruise in early November . We went through a hurricane & missed most of the ports . Finally on the last night the captain closed down everything & told all the passengers to go to their rooms and stay there and prepare for a rocky trip . I was so scared that it was a few years before I boarded another ship.

Worst weather was a 1996 NCL cruise in early November . We went through a hurricane & missed most of the ports . Finally on the last night the captain closed down everything & told all the passengers to go to their rooms and stay there and prepare for a rocky trip . I was so scared that it was a few years before I boarded another ship.

EEK! No Fun!

Please, the next time someone post not to worry about hurricanes in November please tell them that it "just ain't so"! :rolleyes:

People don't seem to believe me when I tell them.

LuLu

We had an overnight stop in Venice ,it was our first time (last Oct.) both days it poured rain and windy both days . On the second day the townspeople people started to set up what looked like long banquet tables with short legs all over Venice. I had read about the tides overtaking the town on this site and told my D.W.what they were getting ready for , she looked at me like I was making it up and rolled her eyes (she does both often) . As we walked out of Saint Marks square to the canal the water rose and in a few minutes the whole area was under water ,after all the rain we were used to being wet but it was kind of strange to see geese swiming in the square. We still loved Venice in spite of the rain ,wind and flood .If you are ever in Venice and they start to get out the tables look out.

We were on the Silver Cloud on a TA. Somewhere between Iceland and Newfoundland we hit an 800 mile diameter storm. Fortunately for us it was a following sea. We had 100 mph winds and 50 foot seas. We were taking 30 degree rolls. How do I know?my wife bought me an inclinometer because we got tired of marking bottles to see how much they sloshed.

The grand piano in the show lounge ended upside down, and the one on the Lido had to be duct taped to a post.

When we debarked, the captain handed us t-shirts commemorating the experience.

Several typhoon evasions in the Western Pacific while serving on a 390 foot Navy destroyer. The best part was the chow line was almost non-existent and my buddy and I could get right in for a meal!:D

We had 3 days in Bejing at the end of our cruise, saving the last day for the Great Wall of China. Very excited, got there early before any crowds. It had started to rain and had turnedvery cold. Got up on the wall and it was so foggy you couldn't see 2 ft. in front of you. Hope I get there again one day.

I had a rough day coming back from the Bahamas where you could not walk straight without hitting into the wall. But this was NOTHING compared to what some of you have posted. Just reading some of your posts made me feel a little green :( Then I went online and googled bad weather cruise ships. After seeing a few videos I was done. The worst was the Louis Majesty video from the inside, scary.

On our South American cruise

The weather was so bad that we were the only Princess ship to not go around the horn. Instead we had to go through the Straits of Magellan. There was a typhoon with 60 ft waves for more than 2 full days. The captain pulled in the stabilizers which made for a rougher ride. On the second day he took a route behind some islands to give us a break from the weather. I had a waterproof bag packed with ID, pills etc. in case we needed to evacuate! We were a day late getting into Valparasio and the passengers were all given free telephone time to make new arrangements or reassure family who were waiting to hear from them. Luckily we were staying on until San Fran so this did not impact us. Many people were flying home on disembarking day. (Never, never, never!!!!!)

On a happy note....one couple from New Zealand were being charged well over $1,000 to change their airline tickets. they won the final bingo which more than paid for this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on this cruise with you! Felt so bad for all the people getting on and off in Valparasio. Luckily we were going on to SF also.

Have to mention tho that after visiting the grocery store across from the pier, we were walking back to the ship when a woman unzipped my husband's backpack and just about got his camera. An American guy studying there saw her and told us. He never felt a thing.....probably due to the 2 bottles of wine he was carrying in it! :)

She had obviously seen which pocket he put the camera in when we went in the store.

My first cruise - Nordic Prince (rather small by today's standards) out of New York to Bermuda we were hit by 3 converging storm fronts. 50 ft seas and the outer decks closed. About 1/3 of the ship was sick and wouldn't leave the cabin (myself included). We heard the ship following us was a "boxy" ship and was sailing leaning on it's side. It's amazing I still cruise! The other memory is following a hurricaine thru the carribbean - can't remember what year.

Now it is time for a funny one.

We were going from Miami toward Roatan and a hurricane South of us was causing the swells to rock the ship from side to side pretty strong. Dishes were breaking and liquor in the shops was falling off the shelves.

We were having dinner with one of the officers and someone asked him why the ship was rocking so much.

He didn't miss a bite and replied "Too many honeymooners onboard".

In 1980 my family and I were on the old Volendam coming back to NYC from Bermuda. Fifty-knot winds and thirty-foot seas. My brother and I were prostrate with seasickness. My parents were fine. They went to the meteorology lecture that afternoon and the lecturer was lying on his back on stage because if he sat or stood up he got sick. Made it through the lecture, though, and on an eclipse cruise in Hawaii years later, he found about the only hole in the overcast and so the passengers got to see the eclipse while no one on shore did.

During the stormy day on the Bermuda trip we passed the old Statendam, which was having engine problems and moving at half speed, and the stabilizers weren't working either. Ack!

In November 1984 my parents came to visit me when I was living in England. Cunard and British Airways had a deal where you could fly one way free on Concorde if you were insane enough to do one of the last two TAs of the season on the QE2. On the way to NYC they encountered waves over fifty feet high. Windows got broken in the dining room, all the doors to the decks were locked, and half the crew was seasick. My parents, of course, were fine.

We were on the NCL Gem (left out of NY) in St Thomas getting ready to head to Samana, DR. Captain said we will skip Samana and get ahead of Superstorm Sandy and Dock a day early. We were fine with that.

We got ahead of her but NY decided to close the port so we had to circle the Martha's Vineyard area for 3 days with very high seas, they closed the outer decks and tried to keep us happy until we could dock in Boston (3 other ships were there). I was able to text my sister to rent a car for us & we drove back to NY (where we live). We got home but had no power.

But we did find out that Bonine really works for us! And texting my boss for 3 days saying "They won't dock the ship so I won't be in today" was kind of funny (at least he paid me for those days since our office didn't have power for 2 of them).

Boy. Mine was tame compared to these stories.

Crossing from Scotland to Iceland through the remains of a hurricane. Every time the ship came down off a wave, it felt like we were hitting a big rock. The ship would shudder for many seconds each time.

I was doing a crossing from London to NYC on Seabourn Pride, a very small (204 passengers) ship, when we hit a hurricane. Waves were literally washing over the open deck, two front windows in the big suites were broken and water was coming in. The ship lost the satellite lines and other equipment on the outside of the ship. The captain had to turn the ship around and we cruised backwards for a day and a half so the waves could hit the back of the ship rather than the front. At the front of the ship, there was a teak deck with a hot tub and the teak was completely stripped off and the heavy metal door was bent like a potato chip.

We were on the Silver Cloud on a TA. Somewhere between Iceland and Newfoundland we hit an 800 mile diameter storm. Fortunately for us it was a following sea. We had 100 mph winds and 50 foot seas. We were taking 30 degree rolls. How do I know?my wife bought me an inclinometer because we got tired of marking bottles to see how much they sloshed.

The grand piano in the show lounge ended upside down, and the one on the Lido had to be duct taped to a post.

When we debarked, the captain handed us t-shirts commemorating the experience.

I bet that was the same time I did the Seabourn crossing. It was hell on wheels. It was in the late 1990's?

• 3 months later...

Brilliance of the seas on the way back to Barcelona from Naples. Major waves hit the boat and the main show had to be stopped. Boat was rocking. Stayed on an inside 3rd floor room and we had an alpha and a bravo call deck 3 forward where 3 windows broke and 2 people were injured by breaking glass. Water was poring down the hallway and the crew was running. Had to anchor on the middle of the sea all night to let the waves hot the undamaged side of the boat in case there was structural damage. 12 hour late getting into port. Lost tons of glassware, artwork was flying across the centrum and we got knocked off our beds. Even slid across the floor on a chair!! This is the reason I never fly home the same day as the cruise ends. Many people lost there $$ for their flight home if they didn't book through royal caribbean.