Do you intentionally leave things behind on the ship?

At least yours were UNUSED! We found some USED ones under the bed along with some USED depends ... true story.

Seems unlikely the same person would have been using both. :rolleyes:

Who know how long it had been since the room steward had cleaned under that bed. It was a totally mess under there. :eek:

LuLu

Oh my gosh ha ha ha!

This topic got me thinking if I have left anything else besides magazines and books. On the last few cruises I've had unopened wine that I gave to a stewardess and told her to enjoy at the crew party. Whether she drinks or not is immaterial and it was not in lieu of a tip; it was just a "you hold this, I don't want to schlep it". I figure below decks booze is probably almost as good as cash or cigarettes.

A few cruises ago I brought a brand new bottle of shampoo that had dropped and cracked the cap. It was a nearly full 26 oz bottle of Pantene that would have ruined my luggage. I asked the steward if he wanted it and he said yes.

I don't board with the intention of leaving extra waste or work, but if it is an incidental that is in good condition or reusable and I have no need for it I figure someone probably gets some use out of it.

The only thing we have ever left is wire hangars. I always bring extras so I can hang things easily. The wooden ones they provide take up more space so we never ask for more. I don't bring most of the wire ones home because we are always getting new ones with our dry cleaning, so never a shortage. I personally think there's a difference between leaving something useful behind and dumping stuff you and no one else would want. I'm thinking stewards throw out most everything they find left behind. Magazines I can see they would want, but shoes? No.

Yes, I have!

ALCOHOL

Yup, there it is...the only thing I consistently leave behind is alcohol

Oasis- bought a beer bag (cause I really wanted the bag:p) but was sailing with cousin who does drinks beer...did we finish the beer? No we did not...left at least 3 bottles in the fridge for the steward to take to the crew bar.

Jewel - mom and I EACH got a bottle of champagne from our TA...don't like it, cruising with teens anyway and unlikely to drink a glass, much less 2 bottles...can't say I really "left it behind" we actually palmed it off on our neighbors to buy their good behavior (smokers on the balcony- were very polite about it after the champagne gift;))

Jewel again- hallelujah! You can bring 2 whole bottles on wine on board now...sought out a special store in San Juan, bought two fairly decent bottles of wine, brought them onboard...never drank them:rolleyes:

Left them in the cabin, hoping for the steward to take them to the crew bar.

So there ya have it, if I'm going to leave something behind it's very likely to be alcohol, I didn't have the time or inclination to drink:D

ETA: I always tell the steward, so they know they can have it!

Edited by Familygoboston

My boyfriend wears an undershirt every day, even under other T-Shirts. He is also a boxer guy vs. briefs.

He always packs his "more" used shirts and boxers on vacation. He throws them away each day. The undershirts are more than fine to wear, although I wouldn't think anyone would want used boxers, where more than likely the elastic is wearing thin. Ick. Anyway, he "leaves" the t-shirts and boxers behind, in the trash, to make room for our inevitable souvenirs in the suit case. After a 7 day cruise + pre/post stay, 8-9 T-shirts really do leave a lot of extra room for new shirts from port! I have wondered if the room stewards thinks it is odd to see a pair of boxers and t-shirt in the trash each morning. LOL.

As far as items left behind intended for others, I used to leave the coupon booklets behind (either in the safe, a drawer, or the room service menu). That is really no more.

I've also left sunscreen and other items that I don't want to leak in my suitcase on the plane ride home, usually purchased once we got to port. Items like that, I typically put in the trash too. I guess if the room steward wanted to take any of it, I'm fine with that. If I were at home, I wouldn't waste it, but then again, I opened it up brand new.

If we fly to the port, we always have cans of soda left, snacks that are unopened and magazines/books. We always tell the Steward that we have left the drinks and snacks on the dresser and he's free to take them. We had a bottle of wine that didn't get opened on one cruise. We used to leave unused coupons in the safe but we can't do that anymore. Unintended things we've left include a watch, a poster from a shop in Maui in a tube behind the curtain to the balcony, a pair of shoes. They were never turned in to lost and found.

Someone left their toothbrush on the floor under the bed one time. It worked out perfectly for me since I forgot to pack my own toothbrush for that trip. What luck!

Hey, that was me! Send it back! :D On my last cruise, I had a juice box of wine left over, I left it in the back of one of the drawers. I don't know if the steward or the next passengers found it.

I try not to leave things behind, but on my last cruise on Celebrity, I went to store my empty suitcase under the bed and I found 2 boxes of unused condoms under the bed...true story. I didn't know how to "dispose" of them. Really didn't want to leave them in the trash for the room steward to find them.

Is that where they went?

Oh well, the baby is beautiful :D

Someone left their toothbrush on the floor under the bed one time. It worked out perfectly for me since I forgot to pack my own toothbrush for that trip. What luck!

:eek:

OMG

WOW

I wouldnt

Sea Ya

I agree Mouthwash would be a no no to pass on.

However used shoes would be very useful and appreciated for a lot of people. Look at all the thrift and second hand stores with used shoes in them. Just spray some Lysol and you have a pair of happy feet at a bargain price to boot:eek:

Well I don't use the mouthwash out of the bottle, I bring paper cups and pour it in, doesn't everyone do that???? Using mouthwash out of the bottle is gross. And if they throw it out, so be it, I just don't want to re-pack it so it doesn't leak. But they do tell me they use the stuff, I always let them know I don't want to re-pack it. Now toothpaste is something I never leave, unless it it not used and in the box (I bring several little ones).

I'm really not sure that the staff would appreciate someone's discarded clothing and shoes etc any more than they are likely to appreciate the tacky trinkets that some cruisers seem to think they should be grateful for. In my experience, a decent tip is the best thing you can leave.

If I leave something behind intentionally, it's because I don't want to take it home. I put it in the bin. I wouldn't leave it as a "gift" for anyone.

I'm really not sure that the staff would appreciate someone's discarded clothing and shoes etc any more than they are likely to appreciate the tacky trinkets that some cruisers seem to think they should be grateful for. In my experience, a decent tip is the best thing you can leave.

If I leave something behind intentionally, it's because I don't want to take it home. I put it in the bin. I wouldn't leave it as a "gift" for anyone.

Not everyone leaves behind stuff that has turned to crap. What's wrong with leaving behind or offering a perfectly usable item? Should I throw out my once read magazine instead of offering for the crew?

Please don't turn this into a tipping thread. No one has once mentioned leaving any item behind intentionally in lieu of a tip. This is about items that are too useful to discard but do not want to travel with for any number of reasons.

If I have small change in foreign currancy then I'll leave it for the stateroom attendant. Doesn't pay to exchange it, and I figure they can use it if they go offshore. If there are unopened snacks, I may leave them too. I'll write a note, though, saying it's for them.

I have left behind articles of clothing or shoes that maybe someone could get some wear out of yet, but I no longer wanted and didn't want to pack again. I figured the stateroom attendant could either keep, pass along, or toss.

Seriously?? Whenever I have articles of clothing that I no longer want or need, I give them to Goodwill!

Just recently on our Hawaii cruise which had 5 sea days we brought emergency supplies. This include candy ginger, first aid kit, and packaged mini mag flashlight. We didn't use any of the items because of calm seas. I get everthing but the ginger in our work supplies so we had no need to bring them home. We also include some cheap but kind of stylish new safety sunglasses. We just wrote him a note that he could have them if he wanted.