Crab shack portions??

NukeIT

Primary interest is in how many King Crab legs they serve you?? If you can get seconds?? And how readily they serve seconds?? (i.e. Are you a nuisance for asking, are they served quickly?? Etc..)

Would be interested in hearing about the other menu items as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Primary interest is in how many King Crab legs they serve you?? If you can get seconds?? And how readily they serve seconds?? (i.e. Are you a nuisance for asking, are they served quickly?? Etc..)

Check out my pictures on this thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2071348

The legs are huge! We each got our own bucket with two large legs, at least a pound of peel and eat shrimp, plus corn on the cob, boiled red potatoes, appetizers, and dessert. We couldn't even finish all of the shrimp, so we didn't ask for seconds. I don't think it would be a problem though.

We loved the crab legs and skipped the non-seafood, so we did ask for seconds on the crab legs. Not a problem! Arrived as soon as they were cooked - maybe 5 to 10 minutes. It might depend on ship and servers, but this was our experience.

We had the crab shack on both our recent Alaska and Cal Coastal cruises. In Alaska, we went twice.

Portions were huge and the quality was excellent. The Mud Boil with crayfish was almost too much to eat. Crab was incredible and the portion was huge. The appetizers were six huge fried shrimp and hush puppies.

I know a lot of people think they "just want to eat crab" but the entire meal is delicious. I am sure they will provide seconds, but you will also need to order a wheelchair to role yourself out of the dining room.

All three times, we skipped desert because we were simply stuffed.

The best $20 you can spend on the ship!

Happy Cruising:D:D

I agree with all that has been posted but want to point out the appetizers and the desserts are just as fabulous as the seafood. We will do Crab Shack on every cruise.

Sounds delicious. Have I been missing this?

Which ships? Where on the ship? When held on the ship? Who can enjoy this?

We will be on Crown Princess Sept 13th for the Pacific Coastal Wine Country itinerary.

Sounds delicious. Have I been missing this?

Which ships? Where on the ship? When held on the ship? Who can enjoy this?

We will be on Crown Princess Sept 13th for the Pacific Coastal Wine Country itinerary.

Look on the last page.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/Dining_Options_2014.pdf

Looks like it is on Crown too. It doesn't get a lot of publicity. I had heard about it before my cruise on CB so I asked one of the people working in Caribe and got the details. It's also listed in the Patter but could be overlooked.

The Crab Shack has been a semi-trial run on the ships. They partition off a side of the Horizon Court.

The publicity could definitely be better. On our April cruise on the Grand, they had it two nights. On the Golden, it was 4 nights and a lunch. Both times, we literally bumped into it when walking up to the buffet.

The service is off the charts because they are really trying to get this off the ground and the Maitre who is running it is pushing for a promotion for running the place.

It is a real nice addition. It is a little less formal than the steak house and Sabbitini's.

Happy Cruising:D:D

Are reservations required or do you just show up during the operating hours?

According to the Patter on the Royal last October they wrote "reservations required" for the Crab Shack. I've never attended it so not aware if that is enforced or not.

Are reservations required or do you just show up during the operating hours?

The definitely take reservations. However, when we were on the Emerald last April there seemed to be lots of open tables (although we eat between 8:00 and 8:30). I suppose if they make their staffing level decisions based on the number of reservations, empty tables may not equal availability.

On the Royal we made reservations. Just call the dine line.

The food was plentiful and since my husband and I wanted the same crab combo dinner, they brought it out for two. They told us we could order more of anything we wanted. My husband had more mussels but I could just about finish the meal. It was excellent!! :D There are pictures in my review below.

On the Royal we made reservations. Just call the dine line.

The food was plentiful and since my husband and I wanted the same crab combo dinner, they brought it out for two. They told us we could order more of anything we wanted. My husband had more mussels but I could just about finish the meal. It was excellent!! :D There are pictures in my review below.

Good to know because we didn't go thinking it wasn't worth $20/pp. however reading so many posts praising it will give it a try on the Royal this fall.

We just did it a few weeks ago on the Grand. We did not ask for seconds, but I did not get the feeling we could. It was worth the $20 as the food in the MDR was just ok and the buffet on this ship was the worst we have ever experienced, but we were not blown away with the king crab, I think the shrimp was better. I did like that they split the crab for you, but they were a little tough and not great flavor. It was fun and great ocean views during dinner, worth doing for sure.

A little confused. Is it served in the MDR at your normal dining time or in another location ? thanks

It's served in a partitioned off section of the Horizon Court buffet seating area...6:30 PM to 9 PM on my cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We just did it a few weeks ago on the Grand. We did not ask for seconds, but I did not get the feeling we could. It was worth the $20 as the food in the MDR was just ok and the buffet on this ship was the worst we have ever experienced, but we were not blown away with the king crab, I think the shrimp was better. I did like that they split the crab for you, but they were a little tough and not great flavor. It was fun and great ocean views during dinner, worth doing for sure.

We had the same experience with the crab on the Ruby. It had been frozen so long it was nothing but mush. The shrimp were much better.

Mike:)

I would love to try the Crab Shack on our upcoming August 9th Coral Princess Northbound Alaska cruise but I'm traveling with my husband who doesn't eat seafood. Could I pay for one and would they be OK with my husband sitting with my while I indulged? I really don't want to miss out on a seafood feast but wouldn't want to dine solo or have to pay for him and only have him nibble corn.

Where on the Emerald do you book for the Crab Shack?

They advertise outside the horizon buffet by the elevators. You can also ask your dining room waiters they can assist you. However, I think it's a bit pricey being from Florida and going to buffets we can get all u can eat steamed shrimp for $10.99 and all u:) can eat crab legs $8.99 at the Chinese buffets.

We were on the Island and they were pushing the crab shack. We turned them down but after reading the reports below my mouth is salivating. I do believe we are destined to try it this fall on the Star. I love seafood but my partner not so much so.

They advertise outside the horizon buffet by the elevators. You can also ask your dining room waiters they can assist you. However, I think it's a bit pricey being from Florida and going to buffets we can get all u can eat steamed shrimp for $10.99 and all u:) can eat crab legs $8.99 at the Chinese buffets.

The Crab Shack is not a buffet. It is held in an area of the Horizon Court that is roped off for restaurant dining for the evenings the Crab Shack is held.

You are served at your table. I would never compare it to a Chinese buffet. ;)