St Petersburg

jessybell

It may come soon that Americans will be restricted to traveling to Russia. In the meantime, if I were booked on a Baltic cruise this summer, I wouldn't get off the ship in St. Petersburg. The Russian government, by all media accounts, is supporting a band of barbarian thugs. Their actions are unspeakable and unforgivable. My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

ok, so apparently nothing has happened in St. Petersburg in particular, the OP is just referring to the general situation in Russia and the Ukraine. Unless there is a safety issue (including relations deteriorating to the point where Americans visiting Russia became unsafe) or some travel restrictions were placed, not visiting the port would be a political statement. I really don't think the cruise line will eliminate the port that is the highlight of a Baltic cruise (usually an overnight stop) without something compelling them to.

We'll be stopping in St Petersburg with an over night stay next week on board Emerald Princess.

I learned tonight that some crew members from Celebrity Constellation who were returning home died on that flight. That is just awful.

If Princess choose to avoid that port I will not be screaming for compensation because my whole cruise has been ruined as a result.

Allegedly it was a Russian missile that shot down the Malaysian flight last week killing everyone on board.

Not condoning anything but remember prior to that the last commercial airliner shot down was by the US. The USS Vincent thought it was a military aircraft.

As to SP, I don't perceive any increased danger to US citizens at this point.

It may come soon that Americans will be restricted to traveling to Russia. In the meantime, if I were booked on a Baltic cruise this summer, I wouldn't get off the ship in St. Petersburg. The Russian government, by all media accounts, is supporting a band of barbarian thugs. Their actions are unspeakable and unforgivable. My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

We just got back from a Baltic Cruise on HAL that did an overnight in St. Petersburg. We felt safe at all times. Our tour guide would alert us to areas that were deemed as high pick pocket areas. We even rode the subway. In order to get off the ship you must have a VISA and the easiest way to get that is through a group tour. We did a 2 day tour through SPB and our guide was phenomenal. It would be a shame to go that far and not see it. I don't think any cruise line would stop there if they felt there was a danger to their passengers. Having said that even before this last incident I would not have felt safe trying to do it on my own.

Not condoning anything but remember prior to that the last commercial airliner shot down was by the US. The USS Vincent thought it was a military aircraft.

Actually, not quite true. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliner_shootdown_incidents

Not to lesson your point. Some interesting reading.

Sadly it's happened too often:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliner_shootdown_incidents

Friends are soon scheduled to enjoy 2 days in beautiful St Petersburg & hopefully this won't affect their visit. I have confidence that cruise lines will not go to any port if there are problems.

Not condoning anything but remember prior to that the last commercial airliner shot down was by the US. The USS Vincent thought it was a military aircraft

That was the USS Vincennes in 1988, but I'm not sure airline safety is the primary point at present. I'm worried that we may be working up to another cold war, but that's just my opinion.

That was the USS Vincennes in 1988, but I'm not sure airline safety is the primary point at present.

On a personal irony, I was on a high school trip and in Sweden when this happened. We had a scheduled tour of the American Embassy in Stockholm where "they briefed us" on this. We then went to Finland for 2 days and then spent more than a week in Leningrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow. From a tourist stand point, we were not affected at all by the international tension between the Soviet Union and the US. Honestly, traveling back then to the Soviet Union was pretty taboo back then so we didn't know what to expect.

I hope everyone who is scheduled to visit Russia soon is able to enjoy it like we were, despite the awful tragedy that has recently happened.

Edited by Coral

ok, so apparently nothing has happened in St. Petersburg in particular, the OP is just referring to the general situation in Russia and the Ukraine. Unless there is a safety issue (including relations deteriorating to the point where Americans visiting Russia became unsafe) or some travel restrictions were placed, not visiting the port would be a political statement. I really don't think the cruise line will eliminate the port that is the highlight of a Baltic cruise (usually an overnight stop) without something compelling them to.
I agree. Unless the US is at war with Russia or there are attacks directed specifically at American passengers, there's no reason to be concerned. The Ukraine is a long way from St. Petersburg.

As for the Celebrity crew on the plane, John Heald has stated that he checked with Celebrity and no Celebrity or RCI crew were onboard. Apparently, that was a rumor that has since been corrected but as with most rumors, they have a life of their own that aren't based on facts. Just read Snopes if you don't believe me. :)

I don't think the issue is whether or not Princess or any cruise line would put their passengers and crew in harms way. I have no doubt they will always err on the side of caution.

I think the question is do I as a passenger want to visit and financially support Russia at this moment. For me the answer is absolutely not. However, I respect the fact that others don't share my view. I also realize that at this point those booked on 2014 Baltic cruises are caught between a rock and a hard place if they do share my view.

This is an incredibly tragic event. I only hope the U.S and her allies can come together and find a just and peaceful resolution.

I don't think the issue is whether or not Princess or any cruise line would put their passengers and crew in harms way. I have no doubt they will always err on the side of caution.

I think the question is do I as a passenger want to visit and financially support Russia at this moment. For me the answer is absolutely not. However, I respect the fact that others don't share my view. I also realize that at this point those booked on 2014 Baltic cruises are caught between a rock and a hard place if they do share my view.

This is an incredibly tragic event. I only hope the U.S and her allies can come together and find a just and peaceful resolution.

I am in agreement with your sentiments. We had to cancel this years cruise because of family matters that prevented us from being gone for 26 days but we were planning to go next year. Now we are not sure we will.:(

If you are already booked and have paid for your cruise. Go!

The cruise line will not let you ashore if they do not think you will be safe!

I feel for the little guy in the street with a small shop that sells thing for tourists - he is not political. Just a person trying to make a living.

Had the comment from a taxi driver in Greece during their last uprising - we despertately need the money from tourists to survive.The government will not help us if we do not carry on business as usual. We could starve - they would not care!

Would I book a cruise into that area now - maybe not at this time.

But, would not cancel if I was already booked!

Try to relax and enjoy!

I agree with nanwel; by not visiting a port the main hit will be financial to those working in the tourism sector, not the Government. On a few Caribbean islands such as Grenada, boycotts had devastating impacts on those most dependent upon tourism spending. It is not those folks that should feel the anger of the world at present, it should be those that govern and make such awful decisions. I will be there next week on Emerald Princess, and look forward to seeing the great city. Hopefully all the money I spend will end up in the hands of those so dependent upon those earning rather than the coffers of the Government.

We have the Baltic Cruise booked for next June, if things don't change and escalate (sp) we will probably change our plans, since we don't have to confirm till next March/April. I wanted to do this cruise for SPB but if there are problems and the Cruise Line does not stop there I do not want to go. I already have a back up plan and trip lined out for just in case.

The Baltics have been on our "Bucket List". Princess came out with pricing that we could not refuse and we are are leaving for London this coming Wednesday. As Pam mentions, St Peterburg is far from the Ukraine. I believe fear is a tool the terrorists use to manipulate us. Don't get me wrong...I also want to travel with my eyes wide open and as safey as possible. I could stay at home right under the safety of my own roof and have something bad happen to me so I prefer to "Live".

I also agree that I would prefer my money not go to the Russian Government but I do not always agree were my money goes right here at home in our own government.

I am looking forward to my trip just in case this is the last tme I am able to go there. Hope we make it this time!

I agree with nanwel; by not visiting a port the main hit will be financial to those working in the tourism sector, not the Government. On a few Caribbean islands such as Grenada, boycotts had devastating impacts on those most dependent upon tourism spending. It is not those folks that should feel the anger of the world at present, it should be those that govern and make such awful decisions. I will be there next week on Emerald Princess, and look forward to seeing the great city. Hopefully all the money I spend will end up in the hands of those so dependent upon those earning rather than the coffers of the Government.

Russia is not a small Caribbean island. A good portion of the cost of the tour is the Visa which goes directly to the government. In addition are the taxes the tourism industry must pay the government. I'm scheduled for a tour in less than two weeks and I am torn between going on the tour or canceling.

Russia is not a small Caribbean island. A good portion of the cost of the tour is the Visa which goes directly to the government. In addition are the taxes the tourism industry must pay the government. I'm scheduled for a tour in less than two weeks and I am torn between going on the tour or canceling.

Go and be happy. It is a beautiful city. The politics are for other people besides ourselves. I personally think the bad guy/good guy scenarios a little oversold, but what do I know?

Having seen not enough of it on my Baltic cruise last month, I am thinking about flying there next time I am in Europe and have some free days, and yes, I know about the visa.

Russia is not a small Caribbean island. A good portion of the cost of the tour is the Visa which goes directly to the government.

The cost of the visa for anyone on a Princess excursion or approved independent tour is zero from the passenger's viewpoint. If Princess or the independent tour guide is paying any visa cost, I expect it is minimal.

True. However, you are still paying port fees and taxes to Russia even if you don't get off the ship. If you feel that strongly, perhaps you should cancel your cruise completely.

The tour companies in St. Petersburg are really struggling due to people afraid to go to Russia. I'd hate to see them go bankrupt over something they have no control.

If you are already booked and have paid for your cruise. Go!

The cruise line will not let you ashore if they do not think you will be safe!

I feel for the little guy in the street with a small shop that sells thing for tourists - he is not political. Just a person trying to make a living.

Had the comment from a taxi driver in Greece during their last uprising - we despertately need the money from tourists to survive.The government will not help us if we do not carry on business as usual. We could starve - they would not care!

Would I book a cruise into that area now - maybe not at this time.

But, would not cancel if I was already booked!

Try to relax and enjoy!

You have put this perfectly.