Amazing evening question

Cruise Junky

Do you know what and where the "amazing evening" event is before booking or is it something that is revealed at a later date? Thanks

It's described in the shore excursion listings on the Azamara website.

How long before the cruise is it listed? My April 2nd cruise doesn't show one :confused: maybe because it's a transatlantic cruise w/o enough port stops (3) in between Miami and Athens.

Editing: Oops...just realized that our latest night in port is 8:00pm in Sicily so guess we won't have one.

Edited by petlover

Do you know what and where the "amazing evening" event is before booking or is it something that is revealed at a later date? Thanks

Cruise Junky, if you want to know more details about your Evening, you can call Azamara and they can usually get hold of someone who knows. Our event in Malta gave no address or even name of building and I called and they were very helpful (I wanted to know if it was within walking distance).

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really thought too much about these evenings until now. The DH and I are looking at the bucket list again especially Antartica. A bucket cruise for us includes first or business class flights, several days at the embark and debark cities and figuring out the best possible ways to see why a place is on the list. Looking at the round trip out of Buenas Arueas there are few stops but the overnight at Stanley in the Falklands is like our penguin dreams come true! My problem is I use a wheelchair full time. I always use my manual chair for flying and cruise vacations to make jumping curbs and a step or two doable. I'm not exactly a heavy weight either. Looking at the satellite views of the port area I understand why larger cruise ships miss the opening to the inlet area so often and looking at the various piers why they need to tender. But it looks like they may just use the same tender list Celebrity and RCL do (which is out of date) for the big ships. Has anyone been to Stanley on one of the Azamara ships before and did it dock?

This is a big question for this trip as the competition is Seabourne and Crystal. Seabourne has a wonderful 21 day cruise but we really loved our one cruise on the Journey and I'd prefer it to the others although Seabourne does have some rather nice amenities too. We have been on the Infinity on a Valparasio to Fort Lauderdale cruise about 7 years ago and it's just not up to a bucket cruise. Due to tendering when we did Alaska we switched from our preferred Celebrity to Holland America to get both the 14 day experience and also so this Russian History major did not miss Sitka. Oh, and they have wheelchair accessible top end suites. They just raise a tender up to the third deck and give a quick lift in and then lower it to the tender deck for everyone else to jump on. Then they reverse the process when returning. I definitely felt much safer after that experience since they are not just practicing with crew.

So, any help on whether that overnight stay with two long days will be possible along with their AzAmazing night event at Stanley? TIA!

I haven't really thought too much about these evenings until now. The DH and I are looking at the bucket list again especially Antartica. A bucket cruise for us includes first or business class flights, several days at the embark and debark cities and figuring out the best possible ways to see why a place is on the list. Looking at the round trip out of Buenas Arueas there are few stops but the overnight at Stanley in the Falklands is like our penguin dreams come true! My problem is I use a wheelchair full time. I always use my manual chair for flying and cruise vacations to make jumping curbs and a step or two doable. I'm not exactly a heavy weight either. Looking at the satellite views of the port area I understand why larger cruise ships miss the opening to the inlet area so often and looking at the various piers why they need to tender. But it looks like they may just use the same tender list Celebrity and RCL do (which is out of date) for the big ships. Has anyone been to Stanley on one of the Azamara ships before and did it dock?

This is a big question for this trip as the competition is Seabourne and Crystal. Seabourne has a wonderful 21 day cruise but we really loved our one cruise on the Journey and I'd prefer it to the others although Seabourne does have some rather nice amenities too. We have been on the Infinity on a Valparasio to Fort Lauderdale cruise about 7 years ago and it's just not up to a bucket cruise. Due to tendering when we did Alaska we switched from our preferred Celebrity to Holland America to get both the 14 day experience and also so this Russian History major did not miss Sitka. Oh, and they have wheelchair accessible top end suites. They just raise a tender up to the third deck and give a quick lift in and then lower it to the tender deck for everyone else to jump on. Then they reverse the process when returning. I definitely felt much safer after that experience since they are not just practicing with crew.

So, any help on whether that overnight stay with two long days will be possible along with their AzAmazing night event at Stanley? TIA!

We visited Port Stanley on Azamara Journey in 2008 & we tendered to the Shore.

Has far as I know all cruise ships have to tender at Stanley.

The tendering operation is very dependant on the weather & quite often ships have to miss the port altogether

Edited by Bloodaxe

We visited Port Stanley on Azamara Journey in 2008 & we tendered to the Shore.

Has far as I know all cruise ships have to tender at Stanley.

The tendering operation is very dependant on the weather & quite often ships have to miss the port altogether

Thanks for the reply. I know so many ships have to skip this port depending on sea conditions. I wonder if they add sea days or another port if they miss the two days here. Time to talk to the TA I guess. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. I know so many ships have to skip this port depending on sea conditions. I wonder if they add sea days or another port if they miss the two days here. Time to talk to the TA I guess. Thanks again.

It is unlikely that another port would be added has the Falklands are around 300 miles from the mainland of South America.

It would probably mean extra sea days.but they could spend more time cruising the Antarctic Peninsula which was just amazing.

While we were at Port Stanley the locals were very disappointed has the QE2 had recently been due to visit on her last World Cruise but had been unable to do so.

They had been planning a really warm welcome has the ship had been there during the Falklands War.

Our tendering was slightly delayed by the weather but we did get ashore by lunchtime & spent the afternoon & evening looking around.

During our visit they ran a Shuttle Bus from the Falkland Visitor Centre at the dock to the nearest Penguin Colony for a very reasonable price

It would have been lovely to spend more time & an overnight stay would have been even better..

Best of luck planning your trip & I hope you enjoy it as much has we did, it is still our best ever cruise

I believe that we must have cruised together on the Infinity has we also did the Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale cruise that year.

Edited by Bloodaxe

• 2 weeks later...
It is unlikely that another port would be added has the Falklands are around 300 miles from the mainland of South America.

It would probably mean extra sea days.but they could spend more time cruising the Antarctic Peninsula which was just amazing.

While we were at Port Stanley the locals were very disappointed has the QE2 had recently been due to visit on her last World Cruise but had been unable to do so.

They had been planning a really warm welcome has the ship had been there during the Falklands War.

Our tendering was slightly delayed by the weather but we did get ashore by lunchtime & spent the afternoon & evening looking around.

During our visit they ran a Shuttle Bus from the Falkland Visitor Centre at the dock to the nearest Penguin Colony for a very reasonable price

It would have been lovely to spend more time & an overnight stay would have been even better..

Best of luck planning your trip & I hope you enjoy it as much has we did, it is still our best ever cruise

I believe that we must have cruised together on the Infinity has we also did the Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale cruise that year.

We went with a different bucket List cruise on the Quest in January 2016 between Sydney and Aukland. We're still looking for the perfect Antarctica cruise. That Infinity cruise was a lot of fun and we really loved the port stop at Arica. Talk about history and geography no one knows much about. I think half the passengers were B2Bs because it was a lot cheaper to cruise home than fly open jaw for them.

We were on the Azamara Quest 2013 Antarctic cruise. We were lucky enough to be able to get to Stanley but it is a tender port. We had a day there and booked a tour with a local guide via our roll call. Weather in that area is unpredictable and one minute the mist is down the next it clears. We were lucky and saw an abundance of wild life but another cruise ship had reported sighting very little. The seas and winds can be a real issue. We had a very bad night reaching Ushuaia. We were then anchored off Ushuaia for a whole day but could not dock as the authorities closed the port due to high winds. All the ship's re-supplies of food and fuel were waiting on the dock and had to be left. Nothing the Captain could do- the port was closed. It was a lovely cruise.

Hilary

We were on the Azamara Quest 2013 Antarctic cruise. We were lucky enough to be able to get to Stanley but it is a tender port. We had a day there and booked a tour with a local guide via our roll call. Weather in that area is unpredictable and one minute the mist is down the next it clears. We were lucky and saw an abundance of wild life but another cruise ship had reported sighting very little. The seas and winds can be a real issue. We had a very bad night reaching Ushuaia. We were then anchored off Ushuaia for a whole day but could not dock as the authorities closed the port due to high winds. All the ship's re-supplies of food and fuel were waiting on the dock and had to be left. Nothing the Captain could do- the port was closed. It was a lovely cruise.

Hilary

I was on that cruise... i saw very little wild life while at sea.. along with food entertainers and others could not fly in or out.. no o ne ever thinks about the money that gets lost on days like this. the captain was Stig . .the ship rocked and rolled all night. thry even cancel the asecond show.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like there are mixed reviews on Amazing Evenings. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are amazing. Book it online or on the ship. However, if you do not go, there is a charge for not attending. If walking is a problem, tell them on the ship that you need help. On my last cruise, there were buses for people with disabilities. There was still some walking. Some people attended in wheelchairs. Azamara does try to make the evening assessible.

It seems like there are mixed reviews on Amazing Evenings. Some are good. Some are bad. Some are amazing. Book it online or on the ship. However, if you do not go, there is a charge for not attending. If walking is a problem, tell them on the ship that you need help. On my last cruise, there were buses for people with disabilities. There was still some walking. Some people attended in wheelchairs. Azamara does try to make the evening assessible.[/

Do you know why they charge you for not going? PAX all ready paid for the evening in their cruise fare. I guess if you cancel Azamara can get money back from the tour operator ? If Azamara get money back form the tour operator is it given back to you, since you were the one who paid for it.

I think they say they will charge you ONLY if you say you will attend, and then do not cancel at least 24 hours in advance, and then do NOT attend. My understanding is that this policy is in place so that the cruiseline can make plans based on expected attendance. It seems reasonable to me.

Do you know why they charge you for not going? PAX all ready paid for the evening in their cruise fare. I guess if you cancel Azamara can get money back from the tour operator ? If Azamara get money back form the tour operator is it given back to you, since you were the one who paid for it.

I don't know about Azamara being able to get money back. They are very bespoke events at unusual venues. My hunch is that Azamara are trying to discourage those who book and then don't turn up on the evening. Personally I don't have an issue with this if it gets commitment. If you don't want to go then don't put your name down for it. In reality I wonder how many times they have charged for no shows.

It's worthwhile saying if you have a valid reason for not showing up because for example you aren't well then you won't be charged.

Phil

I think they say they will charge you ONLY if you say you will attend, and then do not cancel at least 24 hours in advance, and then do NOT attend. My understanding is that this policy is in place so that the cruiseline can make plans based on expected attendance. It seems reasonable to me.

You could cancel without charge right up to 10am on the morning on my cruise last week.

We never had anyone ask for us to identify ourselves while attending our AzAmazing evening so how can anyone be charged for not showing up?? :confused:

On one of ours we had tickets we had to hand in to get onto the bus, on one the ticket was taken at the door of the tender and at one it was at the door of the venue

On one of ours we had tickets we had to hand in to get onto the bus, on one the ticket was taken at the door of the tender and at one it was at the door of the venue

Thanks. When were they provided to you?

Edited by CintiPam

Thanks. When were they provided to you?

They were in our room on arrival - we had signed up for the events before boarding via the online process. I know others who signed up with Land Discoveries were given their tickets at that time or had them sent to them