Why are the shows shorter?

saz25

The shorter shows are a huge disappointment for me. Also, getting to the theatre 30 minutes before the show to ensure you get a seat is also a huge disappointment. That's why I cancelled my Princess Cruise and moved over to Celebrity. Not disappointed at all. Great entertainment and the free drinks package. It will take a lot for Princess to win me back. Sorry Princess, I really loved your product. Your short shows and small balconies on your newer class ships are a downer for me.

Think of it this way .... if they make the theaters larger, it would take away space for a few more cabins!!

On the newest ships they shrunk the balconies and added more cabins, which was a lousy trade-off.

I'm sorry, I don't see the logic in this... shrinking the balconies doesn't mean they can add more cabins...:confused:

I'm not Shogun but just got off a B2B which were 31 and 30 days respectively.

They do not repeat shows within a segment. They do not have production shows every night. Lots of guest performers are brought in to fill the empty time. It was very rare to have no performance of some kind in the evening, even if it was a movie.

Sorry, must have mistyped!

But thanks for the info!!

When we cruised on the Grand they would have a show in the Vista lounge and a different one in the theatre. 2 performances in each venue. You could watch one show then leg it to the other end of the ship to watch the other. Viewing in the vista longe not great due to pillars but better than nothing. this also took a lot of people out of the centre of the ship thus freeing up more seats.

Get rid of Club Fusion or put in a proper stage then it would solve the problem.....simples!!!

Edited by G & T for me

On the 12 night Med cruise on the Regal recently, the production shows were only ever staged twice in a night at 8.15pm and 10.15pm normally. These were ~30 minutes each. The shows in the Piazza were also twice an evening for some entertainers but often not for 30 minutes depending on the acts (Body Balance act was ~10-15 minutes).

The production shows were a bit mixed, some were very good, some not so good. Ironically we felt the shows were much better than when we had previously cruised Princess. As already said, the production shows were on every 3rd night or so, with other acts on the other nights. We tended not to go to see the other acts.

We never really had a problem getting seats (4 adults) and did not get to the theatre early, generally 5 minutes or so before a performance.

On the 12 night Med cruise on the Regal recently, the production shows were only ever staged twice in a night at 8.15pm and 10.15pm normally. These were ~30 minutes each. The shows in the Piazza were also twice an evening for some entertainers but often not for 30 minutes depending on the acts (Body Balance act was ~10-15 minutes).

The production shows were a bit mixed, some were very good, some not so good. Ironically we felt the shows were much better than when we had previously cruised Princess. As already said, the production shows were on every 3rd night or so, with other acts on the other nights. We tended not to go to see the other acts.

We never really had a problem getting seats (4 adults) and did not get to the theatre early, generally 5 minutes or so before a performance.

Can you post the Princess patters for your Regal cruise?

*Three 45 min shows fit just as easy as three 30 min shows, do the math. *I have heard on stage comments from comics and other guest entertainers that they were told to keep their show to 30 mins, but they keep going anyway. Guess 30 min shows also not popular with the entertainers. *When a 45 min show is over, turn up the house lights and allow passengers to exit. Eliminate the CD's annoying jokes and announcements. They are not required. All the information is in the Princess Patter. So many passengers try to leave in the dark anyway, and that is more dangerous than with the lights on. *It's not only the shows it's all the activities. They are squeezed into short time periods rather then allowing the activity to take it's normal flow and time.

To my way of thinking the Princess entertainment department has it all wrong, they probably need a new VP in Santa Clarita.

Below is the evening entertainment schedule from a Coral Princess 14 night Panama Canal cruise in 2009:

Welcome Aboard show f/Kevin Hughes Sun 8:00 & 10:00

“What a Swell Party” Mon 8:15 & 10:15, Tue 8:00 (Princess Theatre)

Juggler Rick Novell Mon 8:15 & 10:15, Tue 8:15 (Universe Lounge)

Adrian Zmed in Concert Tue 10:15, Wed 8:00 &10:15 (UL)

Comedian (sic) Kevin Hughes Wed 8:15 &10:15, Thu 8:00 (PT)

Pianist Linda Gentille Thu 8:15 & 10.15, Sun 8:15 (UL)

“Motor City” Fri 8:00, Sat 8:00 & 10:15 (PT)

Hypnotist Erick Kand Fri 8:15, Sat 8:30 &10:15 (UL)

Classical Concert w/ The Ship’s Musicians Fri 10:15 (UL)

Ventriloquist Willie Tyler & Lester Sun 7:00 & 9:00, Mon 10:15 (PT)

Magician Garry Carson Mon 8:15, Tue 8:15 &10:15 (UL)

Kevin Hughes (new show) Tue 8:00 & 10:15, Wed 8:00 (PT)

“Tribute” Wed 8:15 & 10:15, Thu 10:15 (UL)

Comedian Lee Marvin Adams Thu 8:15 & 10:15 (PT), Fri 10:15 (UL)

Princess Orchestra—Big Band Salute Fri 8:15 (UL)

“Dance” Fri 8:15 & 10:15, Sat 7:00 PM (PT)

Even at that time the scuttlebut was that the scheduling of a show to play twice one night and once again the following (or vice-versa) was going to be phased out shortly--thus requiring them to be brief enough for three performances in one night.

Why, as the OP has asked?

Because of the complaints from the small minority of passengers who just show up at the Princess Theater the same time every night and are outraged to find they are at the encore presentation of an earlier show. They apparently found it much too inconvenient to go to the Universe Lounge (or Explorers, or Vista/Club Fusion et al)--never mind actually reading the Patter to find out what new entertainment is on for that night. So based on that feedback Princess is convinced that we all are just too lazy and stoopid to make our own choices when the schedule is as "complicated" as the one above.

Edited by fishywood

*Three 45 min shows fit just as easy as three 30 min shows, do the math. *

They fit, but two 45 minute shows = 90 minutes of work for the performers.

Three 30 minute shows also - 90 minutes of work.

But three 45 minute shows would be 135 minutes of performance time which would be very hard on the entertainers, especially the production show performers.

They fit, but two 45 minute shows = 90 minutes of work for the performers.

Three 30 minute shows also - 90 minutes of work.

But three 45 minute shows would be 135 minutes of performance time which would be very hard on the entertainers, especially the production show performers.

And let's be honest, two 45 minute shows are actually more work (in terms of learning more songs, dances, etc.) and more expensive (sets, costumes, etc.) than just repeating the same 30 minute show three times.

It's most definitely a money thing...... it's almost always a money thing. :rolleyes:

135 Minutes of work 1 times a day,two days a week. I know, I know, there are many minutes of rehearsal and other chore, but if on Broadway, one a night, two on Wed and Sat. The quality and quantity has declined significantly these days. They basically walk through the shows for the most part, with exceptions.

Edited by weedpindle

I, for one, am happy to see the shorter shows because I am not a production show guy. Wife and traveling companions seem to like the shows so it makes it nice for me in that I can go to the shows with them and they are happy and I am happy because it is done in 30 minutes. There is just too much else to do, if only relaxing (and we don't do as much of that as we could), when on a cruise. :cool:

YMMV

I really prefer the 30 minute shows. Maybe I have a short attention span, but when they do the 45 minute shows at least 15 minutes of it seems like they are just filling time. I have always preferred Princess entertainment, particularly the production shows, over HAL. The shorter show generally makes me happy.

Maureen

A question for those who like the half hour shows.

"In your home towns would any of you waste half an hour to get to, and see a half hour live show, even if it was 'free'?"

john

Every 4th of July. :) traffic, parking and 20 minutes of fireworks.;)

It is no great effort to walk to the theater on any Princess ship. It certainly isn't a half hour walk from one end of the ship to the other. :D

I, for one, am happy to see the shorter shows because I am not a production show guy.

YMMV

I really prefer the 30 minute shows.I have always preferred Princess entertainment, particularly the production shows, over HAL. The shorter show generally makes me happy.

It is not just the production shows that are shorter. The comedians, singers, musicians, etc. also now have the 30 minute shows.

Do these other shorter shows also make you happy?

A question for those who like the half hour shows.

"In your home towns would any of you waste half an hour to get to, and see a half hour live show, even if it was 'free'?"

john

There is a difference between getting in your car and driving to the theater and being on a cruise ship where the theater is just a short walk away. So to answer your question no I wouldn't go out of my way for 30 minute show at home unless it was a High School production that my child was preforming in.

We often book any time dining and find having the 3 shows a better fit for dining times.

We dislike the shorter shows but just work around it having dinner early, skipping dessert to get to the early show & then return to the DR for our dessert. Of course we miss out of some of the guest entertainer material but having seen most of them over the years their material isn't anything new anyway. It's been years since any new entertainers have been introduced on Princess not to mention any new production shows. Perhaps we'll be surprised on the Royal. ;)