Sadly There will be no No Noordam Live--DH in Hospital

Cruzin Terri

Susan,

Not worried about the checked luggage, it is the carry-ons I am more concerned about. We have a few small pieces and he can't carry anything. WE have computers and cameras that I don't want to ship or check.

That is my worry. I have to carry all of it. He is not even able to lift a liter of water. I hope there are porters in the airport. I don't care what I pay for this service.

Terri

An option you might have is to get a very small, foldable luggage cart. Biz travelers carry them for their Red Oxx bags and they fold up tiny.

The airport might sell one - it could be a purchase that makes your trip so much easier.

We have a few small pieces and he can't carry anything. WE have computers and cameras that I don't want to ship or check.Terri

Just a thought, but could you put all of your electronics into a single carry-on and check the other, then you would only have 1 to worry about while trying to get DH on and off the aircraft, and through terminals, etc. ? If you've got a large enough purse, you may be able to carry some electronics there.

Not knowing anything about you, I applaud you and think when you get home, you deserve a good stiff drink! Best of luck to you both.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hello Terri, we met Jim, Eugene and you the 11 day portion of a Caribbean collector cruise in Jan. 2013. I just caught up on your situation and am glad to hear that all seems to be going well. We wish Jim a speedy recover. Don't worry too much about the airport situation in Charlotte, my experience has been that things tend to work out, I'm sure you will find a kindly porter to help you and Jim. All our best to both of you.

Linda and Jim

Hello Terri' date=' we met Jim, Eugene and you the 11 day portion of a Caribbean collector cruise in Jan. 2013. I just caught up on your situation and am glad to hear that all seems to be going well. We wish Jim a speedy recover. Don't worry too much about the airport situation in Charlotte, my experience has been that things tend to work out, I'm sure you will find a kindly porter to help you and Jim. All our best to both of you.

Linda and Jim[/quote']

Hi Linda and Jim,

Yes, I remember you too. Thank you for your kind words. Jim is on the mend. As I have said before, this has been some experience and we will be glad to get home.

Terri

Susan,

Not worried about the checked luggage, it is the carry-ons I am more concerned about. We have a few small pieces and he can't carry anything. WE have computers and cameras that I don't want to ship or check.

That is my worry. I have to carry all of it. He is not even able to lift a liter of water. I hope there are porters in the airport. I don't care what I pay for this service.

Terri

I don't know if this would work for you but when I travel with my son that uses a wheelchair I bring a small backpack. It frees my arms to push the chair. I can easily hang it from the handles of the wheelchair also.

I was going to suggest a backpack too, if you are able to wear one.

Could someone at the hotel concierge desk help with arranging for help at the Rome airport?

I've also seen people in wheelchairs holding the handle of a wheelie bag, with the bag ahead of the chair, so that both the chair and the bag are being pushed, but with the person in the chair not actually carrying anything. Would that be an option?

Edited by BeagleOne

I was just thinking ... with the sort of hotel you're staying in ... it may be worth a stop by the concierge desk and discuss your transportation/luggage issues with them. I'd imagine that you're not the only guest who had problems of this sort. They may be able to save you some dealings with strangers in a strange city.:confused:

I was going to suggest a backpack too, if you are able to wear one.

Could someone at the hotel concierge desk help with arranging for help at the Rome airport?

I've also seen people in wheelchairs holding the handle of a wheelie bag, with the bag ahead of the chair, so that both the chair and the bag are being pushed, but with the person in the chair not actually carrying anything. Would that be an option?

Bingo! We do that. My wheelie carry-on, with his carry-on on top, he wheels it while I push him. We had many grocery-shopping trips with him pushing the buggy in front while I pushed his wheelchair! Sometimes you just have to get resourceful.:D Teri, it will work out - don't worry.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will consider them all. The concierge tells me there are trolleys for the luggage at the curb. This is a good thing. Rome in Limo is picking us up and if history repeats itself they will help us at the airport. I like the idea of Jim wheeling his carryon in front of him at the airport.

Tonight we went out for a very nice dinner. It was a ten minute walk from the hotel. It was so nice to be able to share a happy time together.

You all have been so helpful.. grazie, grazie, grazie!

Terri

Yesterday afternoon we spent most of it looking for Jim's wedding ring. They made him remove it before the surgery and I took it for safekeeping.--so safe, I forgot what I did with it.

I thought I put it in my wallet, but couldn't find it. I looked in every piece of luggage, since we had changed rooms. I emptied out my handbag on the bed. It was nowhere. I was in tears.

Our anniversary is coming up in a month so I promised to buy him a new wedding ring. He tried to be funny and said that now he could flirt with all the ladies.

I went to sit in a chair across from the bed really upset, looked at the floor, and there was the ring. It must have fallen on the floor when I emptied my purse.

We had another reason to celebrate. "What was lost, has been found."

The adventure continues.

Terri

The story of Jim's wedding ring is so sweet and ends so well it tells me that all is right now with the two of you. So sorry you have had to deal with so much uncertainty and so much scary stuff. My thoughts and prayers are with the two of you as you complete this most unexpected journey. Safe travels home this weekend.

Oh, my goodness. What a rollercoaster you've been riding. Our hearts cry with you and then our tears turn to joy again. Hopefully, the worst is behind you now.

Make sure to arrange for assistance at the airports (do this before you leave for the airport or at check-in). Then you have someone pushing the wheelchair while you can handle the carry-ons (if your husband doesn't push one of them).

I am hoping you have an easy time navigating home. And even though you have been through a dreadful experience, your telling us about it has been a real eye opener for the rest of us as to what can happen in another country. If it should ever happen to us, I will remember your experience and be prepared for what to expect. And for that, my sincere thanks.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will consider them all. The concierge tells me there are trolleys for the luggage at the curb. This is a good thing. Rome in Limo is picking us up and if history repeats itself they will help us at the airport. I like the idea of Jim wheeling his carryon in front of him at the airport.

Tonight we went out for a very nice dinner. It was a ten minute walk from the hotel. It was so nice to be able to share a happy time together.

You all have been so helpful.. grazie, grazie, grazie!

Terri

Yesterday afternoon we spent most of it looking for Jim's wedding ring. They made him remove it before the surgery and I took it for safekeeping.--so safe, I forgot what I did with it.

I thought I put it in my wallet, but couldn't find it. I looked in every piece of luggage, since we had changed rooms. I emptied out my handbag on the bed. It was nowhere. I was in tears.

Our anniversary is coming up in a month so I promised to buy him a new wedding ring. He tried to be funny and said that now he could flirt with all the ladies.

I went to sit in a chair across from the bed really upset, looked at the floor, and there was the ring. It must have fallen on the floor when I emptied my purse.

We had another reason to celebrate. "What was lost, has been found."

The adventure continues.

Terri

So happy to hear that you both got out for dinner last night.

And very happy that you found your husband's wedding band.

Hi everyone from Rome,

We arrived in Rome on Wednesday and it has been downhill from there.

DH took ill and has been hospitalized here and had surgery this morning. We cancelled our Noordam Mediterranean Cruise. So no live reports. Sorry.

Surgery went well and he is recovering. Hopefully he will be released from the hospital on Monday.

More when I know it.

Terri

Sorry to hear about your husband. Hope it is a speedy recovery and safe home for you. Looking forward to your next trip and the wonderful updates.

Take care

Terri (too)

Your special cruise, hubby has to have surgery, lose a ring, find a ring . . . you're having quite the holiday, huh? I think you can add "I-Can-Handle-Anything" to your title after all is said and done. I'm thinking there's definitely a "do-over" for this one!!!

Best wishes for your trip home.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

With regard to hospitals in Europe. Terri said in one of her earlier posts that hospitals are free in Italy.

There are free hospitals but I would advise anyone travelling to Europe to take medical insurance and go to a private/paying hospital. I think you will then find that the experience is more like what you are used to, if not better than, in US.

What are 'free' hospitals like where you are? Are you comparing like with like.

Terri, this is truly a remarkable story...and you have clearly taken the expression, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" to a whole new level! I know there is another wonderful vacation ahead for you and Jim.

Edited by innlady1

With regard to hospitals in Europe. Terri said in one of her earlier posts that hospitals are free in Italy.

There are free hospitals but I would advise anyone travelling to Europe to take medical insurance and go to a private/paying hospital. I think you will then find that the experience is more like what you are used to, if not better than, in US.

What are 'free' hospitals like where you are? Are you comparing like with like.

Where I live in the US, if you have money/ins or not you are treated in the same hospital the same way. You are given the same treatment and respect.

Where I live in the US, if you have money/ins or not you are treated in the same hospital the same way. You are given the same treatment and respect.

Your profile does not state where you are but, from my experience, that is the exception rather than the rule. I have experience of free US hospital treatment and it fell far short of what we get here in Europe.

If it were true that you get the same treatment whether you have insurance or not why would anyone take out insurance?

Edited by RollieUK

I live in Massachusetts and if anyone appears in an Emergency Room they must be treated whether they have insurance or not. They cannot and will not be turned away.

Scheduled elective surgery and procedures are not treated the same way. You or your insurance must pay for that.

Edited by sail7seas

I've been following this thread with great interest ... I am very glad that your hubby is mending and that you get home in good time.

We were in the same hotel post-cruise earlier this month, and Mr. Chew got food poisoning on our second night in Rome. It was horrible, and the hotel was of no help whatsoever!! It was very interesting that when I went down to the desk to ask for some assistance (extra towels or bags, stuff like that) everyone on the desk seemed to forget their English!! And on top of that, the first afternoon while I was sitting reading while Mr Chew was in bed, the housekeeper opened the door, looked in at us, and took the key out of the slot and scurried away, completely ignoring me when I ran out after her.

So I'm very glad they treated you properly!!

Mr Chew was still incapacitated the day we left, but the doorman and our driver (Rome Cabs) were great ... and we got to the airport. They did have carts available right at the drop off, and a nice man who worked at the airport (I think he was security) helped me get the cart and load it and push it inside. We didn't need a wheelchair so I don't know about their availability.

At any rate, I hope you & your hubby can get this cruise rescheduled!! Wishing you safe travels ...

I live in Massachusetts and if anyone appears in an Emergency Room they must be treated whether they have insurance or not. They cannot and will not be turned away.

Scheduled elective surgery and procedures are not treated the same way. You or your insurance must pay for that.

No one is turned away, but someone still pays. Usually those with insurance are charged more to cover those that can't.

And for those other procedures it is insurance or pay yourself (and maybe go bankrupt).

Edited by Boytjie