Sadly There will be no No Noordam Live--DH in Hospital

Cruzin Terri

Yes he is at Gemelli. I have since learned that there are two sections to Gemelli. One for the paying customers and then the rest. I didn't know that.

Gemelli has a suite reserved for the Pope.

I don't feel sorry for him any more.

My husband's room is stark. This morning for breakfast he said he got a bowl with broth and crostini. That was it. No coffee. Nothing. Was never served lunch.

No soap, toothbrush, toothpaste. you get a towel. That's it.

People come with everything they need. When the man showed up in the bed next to Jim, his wife had a suitcase with everything he needed. We were the unknowing ones. I brought pajamas for him today, but I didn't know anything yesterday.

In the emergency room he remained with his clothes on. No hospital gown, nothing.

The hospital room is very plain. Just two beds and a table and two chairs. They say that is the best hospital in Rome. I can only imagine the others.

The nurse never comes in to see how he is.

I guess as Americans we have come to expect much more in health care and we are very fortunate to have it.

Terri

I know my DH family when they lived there (the ones that came to the UD) said that you had to bring your own toilet paper. I not kidding. And they spoke about tipping the nurses. I couldn't believe it. The hospital that they were talking about was about an hour and a half outside of Rome.

Edited by geocruiser

Yes he is at Gemelli. I have since learned that there are two sections to Gemelli. One for the paying customers and then the rest. I didn't know that.

My husband's room is stark. This morning for breakfast he said he got a bowl with broth and crostini. That was it. No coffee. Nothing. Was never served lunch.

People come with everything they need. When the man showed up in the bed next to Jim, his wife had a suitcase with everything he needed. We were the unknowing ones. I brought pajamas for him today, but I didn't know anything yesterday.

In the emergency room he remained with his clothes on. No hospital gown, nothing.

The hospital room is very plain. Just two beds and a table and two chairs. They say that is the best hospital in Rome. I can only imagine the others.

I guess as Americans we have come to expect much more in health care and we are very fortunate to have it.

Terri

The situation you describe is very similar to my sons unexpected stay at the hospital in Tahiti. I don't speak French and it wasn't until some days went by that I realized that the hospital expects you to bring everything. I couldn't understand why my son was left in his sweaty street clothes while in his hospital bed and with an IV.

Like you, I couldn't speak the language. I made mistakes because I was tired and upset.

My son was so happy when we finally made it home and he was admitted to a hospital here.

I am happy that things are going well for you and your husband and I wish you a pleasant flight home.

When we get home, we will make an appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida to have my husband fully checked out and bring the copy of the medical records with us. They have international services there. I know they will help us. We are both regular patients there, so this is not our first rodeo with them.

I think as far as Gimelli's doctor's, he had a very competent surgeon, who spoke English well enough. Some words left something to be desired.

As for the tour companies:

Every tour company has graciously agreed not to charge us. Some took a little longer than others to answer. The one company that will charge us is doing so at my request. if they do not charge us, the rate goes up 20 euros each for the six other participants. I set up the tour and solicited the others. In fairness to them, I have asked to pay our share so theirs does not go up.

Terri

You are doing an amazing job dealing with all of this!!! My family has been at Mayo a lot too (my brother did his residency there and was on staff for several years) and their care is just outstanding.

I'm glad your DH's surgeon was a good one...and his speaking some English is a nice bonus. Glad he did a good job!

That's very generous and thoughtful of you with the one tour company.

I hope you can get all settled in your new hotel room, and have a safe trip home.

Wow so sorry! I just read all of this. Then I read some of it to my husband. he almost ended up in a Rome hospital at the end of a cruise due to heart problems. I am sure glad it was finally determined that my husband didn't need the hospital. We would have been really lost as we didn't know any Italian. And who knew you needed to bring all your own supplies!

Wow so sorry! I just read all of this. Then I read some of it to my husband. he almost ended up in a Rome hospital at the end of a cruise due to heart problems. I am sure glad it was finally determined that my husband didn't need the hospital. We would have been really lost as we didn't know any Italian. And who knew you needed to bring all your own supplies!

Makes it worrisome for a solo traveler. Who would bring them a toothbrush or basic toilet articles etc? Sigh......

Cruzin Terri,

So very sorry to read that your cruise is cancelled due to your DH requiring surgery, but pleased to hear that he is doing well, and able to walk around.

Do check with the surgeon as to when your DH will be able to fly home.

You sound to be coping really well.

Sending best wishes to you both, hope your DH makes a speedy recovery, and you have a safe journey home.

Oops sorry posted a bit too quickly - I was going to say I do hope all goes well with your return TA flight. Don't forget, plenty of liquids and as much movement as possible to ward off any DVT problems that might arise.

Cathy

Terri

Sounds awful.

Jim is out of the hospital and resting in bed in our new hotel room. I have managed to change our flights without a fee to go home on Saturday. We were able to change the route so that we are flying from Rome to Charlotte and then Jacksonville. Only one change. We usually have two or three. I have ordered a wheelchair for him so I think we are all set.

The taxi ride from the hospital to the hotel wore him out.

I have met some very kind people on this journey, including all you here on CC. It really reminds one that there are some very caring people in this world.

The agent at AA, when she first heard why I need to change the flights said she would see what she could do. She told me we would have to pay $150 each for the route change. I said fine. She also told me I would lose the fare we had originally paid from MIA to JAX. Then she put me on hold.

She came back on the phone. Told me they would waive the change fee and refund the MIA-JAX ticket due to the circumstances. She also upgraded us to first class from Business.

I was stunned. Guess what I did? I started to cry.

This has been an amazing journey in so many ways. I don't know why we were meant to have this happen to us and what lessons we will learn from it, but it will play out and we will get through.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Terri

How nice that the airline was so good to you under these trying circumstances. I would cry too!

Safe travels on your journey home. I know you were looking forward to your cruise but having your husband with you is a pretty darn good birthday present.

Take care of yourself, too.

Teri

I, as many others, have been following your journey with hope and good wishes. IMO this is happening for a reason that might not ever be understood. But I can tell you -- the one thing it has opened our understanding of emergencies when traveling and will probably help countless others in the future. Not much of a consolation to you and your DH but I appreciate you sharing your story. You have done an amazing job! I can only imagine how horrible this is for the two of you... You have always been a bright and positive light on CC and it is sad when bad things happen to good people! Get some rest and give your DH a great big hug from all of us..

Safe travel home

Linda

Just saw this thread this morning, and like the others, I am so sorry to hear of your DH's hospitalization. But so glad he is recovering, and is out of the hospital. What a fantastic response from your tour operators and the airlines. And very thoughtful of you to think of the other folks in your tour at such a stressful time.

I don't know that anyone ever handles an unexpected emergency perfectly, but it sounds like you got really close - a few changes of clothes aside. You deserve a huge virtual hug from all of us!

I wish the best for his full recovery, for your safe travels home and that you all are able to take that big birthday cruise soon.

Jim is out of the hospital and resting in bed in our new hotel room. I have managed to change our flights without a fee to go home on Saturday. We were able to change the route so that we are flying from Rome to Charlotte and then Jacksonville. Only one change. We usually have two or three. I have ordered a wheelchair for him so I think we are all set.

I have met some very kind people on this journey, including all you here on CC. It really reminds one that there are some very caring people in this world.

The agent at AA, when she first heard why I need to change the flights said she would see what she could do. She told me we would have to pay $150 each for the route change. I said fine. She also told me I would lose the fare we had originally paid from MIA to JAX. Then she put me on hold.

She came back on the phone. Told me they would waive the change fee and refund the MIA-JAX ticket due to the circumstances. She also upgraded us to first class from Business.

This has been an amazing journey in so many ways. I don't know why we were meant to have this happen to us and what lessons we will learn from it, but it will play out and we will get through.

Terri

I'm so glad people are trying to make this easier for you. Some years ago - no cruise involved - my husband became seriously ill and hospitalized in the UK when we were there on vacation. Of course flights home had to be changed as we returned 2 weeks after our booked date. British Airways was superb, they couldn't have been more helpful. Even the insurance company was a huge help and stayed in touch with me till we got home. It's a horrible feeling being so far from home in this situation, and you realise just how good people can be.

Just to add... the hospital in the UK was very good and even had good food! Unlike your current experience in Rome.

Edited by Lizzie68

Terri

What an uplifting message to read.

I am so happy you have your DH back beside you and under your care. You've

handled things so competently and I for one applaud you. To keep your com-

posure under such stress and do what had to be done deserves praise.

Still keeping prayers and good thoughts going your way for a safe, smooth trip home. This is the first time in a long time I am happy to say, "well done" to an airline. :)

Thanks so much for keeping us updated.

Terri,

I'm so glad things are going well...sounds as though you have everything in order.

We can all learn lessons from your experience...and for that, I am grateful. We have a good friend who is a TA and puts together a lot of tours, river cruises, etc., in Europe. He ended up in the hospital two weeks ago in Boston...and was put into a forced coma. He's living on borrowed time as he has been through some very serious abdominal surgery in the past. When I was talking with his wife a few days ago, she told me she's putting her foot down...no more trips across the pond. Domestic travel only.

He take the group from here but she doesn't often go with him; at least your husband has you...that's a huge help.

When I talk to her again, I will tell her your story.

I am so glad AA did that for you...sometimes the kindness of others amazes us.

Pleased to hear your DH is on the mend and soon to be on his way home.

Just for info: we in EU countries have a reciprocal care agreement (we have EHIC cards) BUT most of us also take insurance so that we don't end up with anything too basic.

By the way, it is the norm in UK to take your own toilet bag to hospital with you. I would do the same in any country. You wouldn't be travelling without one in any case, would you?

Ditto what Sail said .....:)

"Still keeping prayers and good thoughts going your way for a safe, smooth trip home. This is the first time in a long time I am happy to say, "well done" to an airline. "

(my CC "quote button" hasn't worked on this thread nor the one on luggage tags) :(

By the way, it is the norm in UK to take your own toilet bag to hospital with you. I would do the same in any country. You wouldn't be travelling without one in any case, would you?

Well, if I were going to the hospital for a scheduled surgery that would require an overnight stay, I would take my toiletries with me. But in an emergency that's not something I would have with me. Or if I did (say I had my suitcase in my car and got in an accident), I wouldn't expect the EMTs to bring my suitcase along, unless I specifically asked them to do so. And of course I might not be in any condition to ask.

I travel solo most of the time. So if something happened to me, I'd have to rely on the hotel to get my bags to me...

Terri, I'm so glad your DH is back with you and in the comfort of a hotel. How sweet of American Airlines to help you out with the ticket change. There really ARE a lot of good people in the world and we need to hear more about them!