Sadly There will be no No Noordam Live--DH in Hospital

Cruzin Terri

First, Terri, I am so happy that your DH is on the mend and glad that you both have been treated so well!

This was a very educational thread for me as well as for others. We traveled to China last December and I fell stepping out of the bathtub and required stitches. I had Travel medical insurance but I ended up not using it. I kept telling everyone that I had insurance but nobody responded. The Hotel, Ritz Carlton Sanya- (we won this trip!) drove us to hospital and my wife was required to pay cash before I was treated. It was about $67.00 US. (ER service, Doc, Stitches, Tetanus shot...) I don't know what would have happened if the cost had been higher than what we had in yen. I never did contact my travel health insurance provider either. I ended up with a bad infection and was hospitalized once I returned to the US but again, I didn't contact the travel insurance. In hindsight, I realize that I should have educated myself as to HOW to use the policy BEFORE I might have needed to use it. Your experience is a great reminder that we really need healthcare coverage when traveling out of the country.

Thank you for sharing with us! Have a safe and comfortable trip home!

Actually, I'm not sure that you could use travel Insurance in a foreign country by presenting the Insurance card.... I believe you would have to pay the bill & submit it to the Insurance Company when you return.. When we were in Tokyo, I had contracted a bad eye infection.. My Company Health Insurance covered me out of the country..It was on a Sunday & the Hospital ER across from the Hotel was closed..

We were sent cross town with a porter from the Hotel to another Hospital & gave them our credit card...When we got back to the states I submitted the bill to the Insurance Company & it was paid immediately... Same thing when I was on Safari in Africa & needed to see a Dr... Submitted the bills when we got home..

I believe that is the same with Travel Insurance... Last year on the Prinsendam both DH & I had to see the Dr. & were charged.. When we got returned from our cruise , I submitted both bills to Travelex, & they were paid very quickly..

Terri I too would like to thank you for sharing your story with us..Realize it's scary when you or someone you love becomes Ill & you must rely on others in a foreign country..

You've handled it so well & I wish you & Jim a safe trip home..

And also hope that Jim recovers quickly & you can have the trip of a lifetime soon..

Peace be with you!

Edited by serendipity1499

Just wanted to wish you and yours a safe, comfortable trip home. I was following your posts on your roll call, as we're doing the Mediterranean Dream next September, and had planned to "go along for the ride" via your live posts. So very sorry your husband required surgery… so very happy he is doing well. May he continue to do so. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm sure many of us are rethinking our coverage and options as we plan our trips. You've seemingly handled everything very well and with an optimistic attitude. I can only hope that should we ever be in a similar situation, we can channel your strength. Godspeed.

Thanks for all your kind words again.

And the story continues:

It is getting better. We went to the Borghese Gallery today. We could not use our tickets from last week, so we got new ones and did the tour today. It is a marvelous place. We enjoyed it so much. Now we are tired.

Tonight, the hotel is treating us to a three hour tour of Rome by night. This was part of a package that was supposed to be used by Aug. 24. Since we could not use it, we figured we would forego it. We were told that they set it up for us tonight with champagne and everything in the Limo. I am beside myself. I know it does pay to be a Marriott Platinum member.

Tomorrow, we pack and Saturday we are on our way. As much as everyone here has been very nice, it will be very nice to sleep in our own bed and be in our own house. It cannot come soon enough.

We will call the Mayo Clinic on Tuesday and get an appointment to get him checked out. Hopefully we can really find out what was wrong. I was told appendix -- but this was on the left side, not the right. I was told hernia, hole in the abdominal wall. So who knows.

In the meantime, he is not feeling badly. The incision hurts, but he is doing better than before the surgery and we are going on the Limo ride tonight. He wants to do it. If he's too tired, we will tell the driver to take us back to the hotel.

More later.

Terri

Terri, Did you use that tiny little elevator at the Borghese? I didn't know if I was going to fit in it!

Terri, Did you use that tiny little elevator at the Borghese? I didn't know if I was going to fit in it!

Yes, we did. Thankfully, we both could fit. But the elevator operator was probably as big as both of us together.

It worked and we enjoyed the gallery.

Terri

We do have the medical records. They are in Italian. I tried to get them translated here, but did not have much luck. We will work on that when we get home.

Terri

So glad that you are having some enjoyable experiences at the end of your trip! That hotel sounds fabulous.

No doubt someone at Mayo can translate those records for you! They deal with people from all over the world as you know.

Hope you have a safe trip home!

We went out for a while today and then came back and packed. We had a bottle of Proseco that was part of our original package so we ordered room service and opened the bottle and celebrated Jim's good health and our last night in Rome.

We are ready to go. Rome in Limo is taking us to the airport and we can't wait to get home at this point. We have consolidated things so that there are not too many carry-ons and we have one more sleep here in Rome.

It feels like we have been here forever.

Will write again when we land in the USA.

Thank you all again for all your good wishes.

Terri and Jim

We went out for a while today and then came back and packed. We had a bottle of Proseco that was part of our original package so we ordered room service and opened the bottle and celebrated Jim's good health and our last night in Rome.

We are ready to go. Rome in Limo is taking us to the airport and we can't wait to get home at this point. We have consolidated things so that there are not too many carry-ons and we have one more sleep here in Rome.

Terri and Jim

Safe travels....

Terri and Jim

Wow Cruzin Terri, I just saw this. At least I got to the end and DH is better and you are on your way home.

We traveled on Veendam together in South America in 2012, and besides sharing some excursions also shared our (individual) touring plans for Machu Picchu.

I suppose if I had to get sick and it was outside the USA, I would prefer being stuck in Rome.

Again, glad this ordeal is over for you.

We arrived in Charlotte. We're in the lounge waiting for our flight to Jacksonville.

It is so good to be on US soil.

Jim is tired and sore, but okay.

We'll stay in JAX tonight and drive home tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your well wishes.

Terri

We arrived in Charlotte. We're in the lounge waiting for our flight to Jacksonville.

Terri

So glad you are nearly home. Have a good rest, relax and take it easy getting home.

Terri

Wonderful...so glad you are almost to Florida!!

Terri

Good to hear!! I am sure you with both be glad to get home.

Whether you are sick or not, it always feels good to step back on home soil. People's faces, though strange, are somewhat familiar, the currency is the same, the time zones aren't completely out of whack, and it just makes one more comfortable.

Take care getting home tomorrow.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Terri

So glad you are finally back on US soil.:):):)