Sadly There will be no No Noordam Live--DH in Hospital

Cruzin Terri

Wow...just read this thread. Cruzin Terri-you've done an amazing job during this "event" under such enormous stress. I'm happy to hear your husband is resting in bed at your hotel-that must be quite a relief now.

Happy to read too that AA were kind to you and helped you out with waiving the fee, the refund part, and the upgrade to first class from business. Hopefully you will have an uneventful and comfortable flight home.

Thank you for sharing this story with us and I wish you and your husband a good trip back home.

Thank you all again for your supportive posts. You will never know how much they help.

We ordered room service tonight and then went up to the fifth floor of the hotel where there is a pool and a bar and each had a bowl of gelato and could see Rome by night.

It's the first nice thing we did since we got here.

Terri

Ditto what Sail said. I hope you have a safe trip home and am very glad your DH is out of the hospital.:)

Your story is giving me second thoughts. We just put a deposit down for a Caribbean cruise and I'm sure medical care there isn't so great. My husband had serious surgery three weeks before a cruise last January. He would have been put off the ship because they wouldn't have been able to care for him. Neither would the hospitals where we were going. He never would have made it home from the places we were in. Second thoughts, but he wants to live his life, so fingers crossed and we're going.

Thank you all again for your supportive posts. You will never know how much they help.

We ordered room service tonight and then went up to the fifth floor of the hotel where there is a pool and a bar and each had a bowl of gelato and could see Rome by night.

It's the first nice thing we did since we got here.

Terri

Glad you sprung him from the hospital.

Enjoy the days until you fly home.

So glad to hear your DH has gotten out of the hospital and he's resting in the hotel.

Question, can you get some compression socks for him to travel in when you fly home, or do you think it will be possible for him to be able to keep his legs up during the trip. Don't want or need any complications.

Jim is out of the hospital and resting in bed in our new hotel room. I have managed to change our flights without a fee to go home on Saturday. We were able to change the route so that we are flying from Rome to Charlotte and then Jacksonville. Only one change. We usually have two or three. I have ordered a wheelchair for him so I think we are all set.

The taxi ride from the hospital to the hotel wore him out.

I have met some very kind people on this journey, including all you here on CC. It really reminds one that there are some very caring people in this world.

The agent at AA, when she first heard why I need to change the flights said she would see what she could do. She told me we would have to pay $150 each for the route change. I said fine. She also told me I would lose the fare we had originally paid from MIA to JAX. Then she put me on hold.

She came back on the phone. Told me they would waive the change fee and refund the MIA-JAX ticket due to the circumstances. She also upgraded us to first class from Business.

I was stunned. Guess what I did? I started to cry.

This has been an amazing journey in so many ways. I don't know why we were meant to have this happen to us and what lessons we will learn from it, but it will play out and we will get through.

Thank you all for your continued support.

Terri

This is very good news.

But I am worried. The first time I requested wheelchair assistance in Charlotte-- I was told everything okay. But then I discovered there are no wheelchairs to go from concourse to concourse. The wheelchairs are used from the plane to get up and down the ramps and then you have to wait for a golf type car to move you from one concourse to another. And that has become a big problem for me.

Hope you make out better.

If your DH is able to push a lightweight wheelchair, look into a 'transport chair'. They are light, fold up easily and take very little room to store. These chairs are not intended for 3 mile rides down a boardwalk (though they certainly could handle it) but are perfect for going from one airport concourse to another. Most of the time, passengers are permitted to wheel them right down the jetway onto the plane and they either store it aboard or gate check it having it available on the other end at the gate when you arrive.

These are very useful for situations like you describe. Easy for the 'pusher' and very manageable.

It's all good news Terri.

I know you are not having the cruise of your dreams and missed the blessing of the Pope, but the main thing is that both you and your DH are safe and together.

Safe travels home and thank whichever higher power that you are together.

Some things are more important than a cruise.

enjoy your days together and I'm so sorry it turned out this way but so happy that things are looking up.

hugs to you both

That was awesome customer service from AA. Not just the financial concessions but the wonderful upgrade to 1st class. Both of you will be more comfortable. May you two be able to rest these next few days and your DH gain a little more strength before traveling home. I will keep the positive thoughts coming your way!

Please to arrange with the Rome Airport Terminal 5 a wheel chair

for your husband. Your hotel may be able to assit you with from

your transportation service to the check in. Also check in is

limited to certain times, again your hotel can check for you as

to the exact time. Rome going to the U.S. is crazy, even on

a good day. Electric items some times have to be put in a clear

bag, or time not. Also there are two security checks, and then you

will be bussed to another termial (or in your case a club) to

wait for the flight. There is a eleveator up to the terminal from the bus.

Also check with the airlines, as some time they do not board U.S. flights

from the terminal, but rather a ramp outside. Airport workers do not work

for the airlines, so information given to airlines oft times is not relayed to the

local workers. IWe are praying for your for safe journey home.

Best good wishes for you both! I have been reading and enjoying CC for quite a while and have always admired your good sense and kind comments. You obviously are deserving of all the help you have received during this difficult time. Peggy

If your DH is able to push a lightweight wheelchair, look into a 'transport chair'. They are light, fold up easily and take very little room to store. These chairs are not intended for 3 mile rides down a boardwalk (though they certainly could handle it) but are perfect for going from one airport concourse to another. Most of the time, passengers are permitted to wheel them right down the jetway onto the plane and they either store it aboard or gate check it having it available on the other end at the gate when you arrive.

These are very useful for situations like you describe. Easy for the 'pusher' and very manageable.

Sail,

I'm very familiar with a transporter wheelchair as we have one stored in our attic, that used to belong to my late mother. It will not do us much good in Rome. I'm not sure I would be able to find one here and encumber ourselves more.

Remember, we have luggage for a 22-day cruise with us and he cannot lift anything at all. I had hand surgery three months ago that did not go as well as expected, but I have to handle anything that needs to be carried. Last night we talked about this and are still trying to come up with a solution. I am so glad we are down to one connection.

If there are luggage trolleys we are all set. We have Global Entry and Pre-Check so that should help.

We'll see what happens.

Terri

Sail,

I'm very familiar with a transporter wheelchair as we have one stored in our attic, that used to belong to my late mother. It will not do us much good in Rome. I'm not sure I would be able to find one here and encumber ourselves more.

Remember, we have luggage for a 22-day cruise with us and he cannot lift anything at all. I had hand surgery three months ago that did not go as well as expected, but I have to handle anything that needs to be carried. Last night we talked about this and are still trying to come up with a solution. I am so glad we are down to one connection.

If there are luggage trolleys we are all set. We have Global Entry and Pre-Check so that should help.

We'll see what happens.

Terri

Terri,

I was responding to the post just ahead of mine by Krazy Kruizers.

I know you are in Rome. :) She was commenting the problem she has

going from one concourse to another without an airport wheelchair. That is why I suggested she

look into buying a transport chair.

Edited by sail7seas

Terri,

I was responding to the post just ahead of mine by Krazy Kruizers.

I know you are in Rome. :) She was commenting the problem she has

going from one concourse to another without an airport wheelchair. That is why I suggested she

look into buying a transport chair.

I'm sorry. I thought you were telling me to get one. It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep.

However, that is a good idea for KK. We used to take my mom's along when she traveled with us. It was very helpful.

I'm hoping it can find a porter to help us in Charlotte. I haven't been in that airport in a long time.

Terri

One suggestion: Let the flight crew know you need a wheelchair at the next airport and have them radio ahead the information. Once when I left Frankfurt, I needed a wheelchair and the people in Frankfurt told me it was taken care of the whole distance and I would have assistance in each airport. Didn't happen at the first change. On the second flight I asked the flight attendant to let the next airport know I would need a wheelchair and it was waiting for me. Sometimes the orders don't get communicated.

One suggestion: Let the flight crew know you need a wheelchair at the next airport and have them radio ahead the information. Once when I left Frankfurt, I needed a wheelchair and the people in Frankfurt told me it was taken care of the whole distance and I would have assistance in each airport. Didn't happen at the first change. On the second flight I asked the flight attendant to let the next airport know I would need a wheelchair and it was waiting for me. Sometimes the orders don't get communicated.

Excellent suggestion. I have actually done this for a traveling companion and it worked well. Terri - I am not a world traveler, but I have connected in Charlotte more times than I can count. If it were me, when I boarded AA in Rome I would ask a flight attendant to check that a WC will come to the plane door for your DH in Charlotte. Before you land, asked again if the WC is confirmed. Your DH does not want to be walking the concourses in Charlotte. Even when I was in perfect health it was exhausting! Hopefully a golf cart will be waiting at the end of the ramp and you both can ride to your next flight.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Most times a wheelchair is waiting for you when you order one. But the suggestion of Sail's above about purchasing a transporter wheelchair has me thinking I just might do that for DH. As KK pointed out, sometimes you only get a wheelchair so far, and then have to wait for a golf cart. A lot depends on the airport. We have a wheelchair at home, but it is heavier and I always thought it would be too much of a nuisance to take it. But thanks to the suggestion, I have found a transporter wheelchair online at Costco that is perfect.

This forum is so handy sometimes.:D

It may be a bit different since we will clear immigration and customs in Charlotte. I have found in Miami that we would always get wheelchair service for my Brother-in-Law when coming back from the Caribbean to clear immigration and customs but golf cart service when it was a domestic connection.

Now I have not been in Charlotte in a long time and only once for an international connection so it may be different now. Charlotte was usually my destination as I have family there. Now I usually drive there instead.

I know this, our usual connection is Miami and there is little that can be worse than that airport. I have seen little else that compares to that airport, even JFK.

I lived in NY for most of my life, until I morphed into a Southern Belle about 12 years ago and we always used JFK. Miami is far worse.

Charlotte cannot be as bad as either of those two.

Terri

Terri.... is there any chance that you could ship some of the luggage back rather than even having to worry about it yourself? It is short notice, but I know it can be done.

Susan

Susan,

Not worried about the checked luggage, it is the carry-ons I am more concerned about. We have a few small pieces and he can't carry anything. WE have computers and cameras that I don't want to ship or check.

That is my worry. I have to carry all of it. He is not even able to lift a liter of water. I hope there are porters in the airport. I don't care what I pay for this service.

Terri

Susan,

Not worried about the checked luggage, it is the carry-ons I am more concerned about. We have a few small pieces and he can't carry anything. WE have computers and cameras that I don't want to ship or check.

That is my worry. I have to carry all of it. He is not even able to lift a liter of water. I hope there are porters in the airport. I don't care what I pay for this service.

Terri

Terri, the person who meets you at the plane with the wheelchair will get a porter for you. Good luck.:)

I have nothing new to add, just happiness and gratitude that things are going as well as they are for you and your DH. And yes, there are some truly lovely, caring people on CC.

The thread has been a learning experience for me as well and I thank you for sharing this journey with us. Sending up prayers for a safe, fast, uneventful trip home...

Carol in SC