Sadly There will be no No Noordam Live--DH in Hospital

Cruzin Terri

So sorry to hear this.

Prayers that your DH will recover quickly.

You didn't mention what kind of surgery your DH had.

Hope you are staying in a decent hotel.

I think he would kill me if I mentioned the type of surgery. It was not heart. He would be very unhappy to know that I even mentioned that he had surgery on this board at all.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Terri

Thank you all for your well wishes. All this year I have been using the Rosetta Stone to learn Italian, the language of my heritage. Little did I know how handy it would be, and also how little I know!

I did find out that medical care in Italy is FREE. What a relief. We will fly home on a regular flight. No need for an evacuation, but I will order a wheelchair for him.

I don't know when we will come home. The latest is that he may be discharged on Monday or Tuesday. Then I have to deal with American Airlines to change our flights and upgrade us to First Class. i think we deserve that. Anyway, it was supposed to be my big birthday cruise!

I am trying to keep strong. It is hard. Some of you have been through worse. Just let me tell you. Think of the worst hospital you have been in. Then let me just say that this is the best that Rome offers and it is worse than the worst I have seen in the states. I won't go into detail but the ER was a nightmare. This is where the Pope goes for care so they tell me. Poor Pope Francis, and he's such a nice man.

Terri

I understand about the hospital in Italy. By DH was born thee and lived his early life there (out side of Rome about one hour away). We have heard stories from family members who have been in the hospital there.

Stay strong. If you need any help contact the American Consulate.

Edited by geocruiser

Sorry to hear about your husband, sending thoughts that he recovers quickly and you can get him home to your own doctors soon. Yes I think you deserve first class air home, besides he will be much more comfortable in first class for the trip home.:D:D

We are staying at the Boscolo Exedra at the Piazza della Repubblica. This recently became part of Marriott's Autograph Collection. It is a 5* Hotel and I have to tell you that the staff has bent over backwards to help us in this situation. I cannot say enough good things about them.

I am a Marriott Platinum member and I must say, that it pays to have status. They really do recognize you and go out of their way.

Every time they see me, they ask about Jim, from the waiters, to the managers, to the bellmen. We are presently in a duplex suite, which will have to be changed on Monday, when Jim is discharged because he will not be able to climb stairs (bedroom upstairs). As soon as I said something, the answer was "no problem" plus a lower rate and let us know what else you need.

They really get an A+

Terri

Terri I am so glad that your husband is recovering. I know how hard this must be on both of you. We here in America take our good hospitals for granted, and I'm glad that he was in the best there. Have a safe flight home.

Dear Terri, I am so glad your husband is going to be okay, but I do feel badly about you missing your birthday cruise. All of us know how much fun the planning is, and a disappointment like this is heartbreaking for both of you. I'm really glad you are able to reach out to CC. It is such a wonderfully supportive group. Have a safe trip home. Be well.

Thank you all again for your best wishes and prayers.

As most of you know, i usually book private tours. I have been spending the last few hours between cruise critic, phone calls and writing emails to tour operators. So far I only have one that will not waive the cancelation fee. I have three that I have not yet answered.

Even those who required a seven or 15 day notice, said it's okay.

I am really surprised.

I can't mention them here, but it is nice to know that they are so understanding.

Terri

Terri, I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's illness and surgery. Thank you for keeping us posted, and please take care of him ... and yourself. Sending prayers for a fast and full recovery.

What awful news - sorry your DH had to have surgery, and also that your beautiful birthday cruise is not going to happen right now. I hope it helps to know that others who have never met you have you in their hearts, hoping all goes well for both of you as you make your way back home. Please continue to keep us posted on his progress - and yours.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Terri,

The best I can suggest is get him out of the hospital as soon as you can.

The longer he is in, the more risk of infection etc

Of course, be sure it is safe for him to leave but he could well be safer in a hotel room with you having numbers of doctors you can call if necessary.

Hopefully you have some source in Rome to turn to for help. It has to be

very difficult trying to do the best for him with no support.

We are all sending you strength and good feelings for a smooth recovery.

Terri I agree to get him out of the hospital as soon as it is safe. My DH developed a serious hospital carried infection that had nothing to do with his surgery. Hospitals are a breeding ground for infection and he will be much better off in the hotel with room service or using the hotel dining room and phone numbers of doctors you can call, as Sail suggests.

Thanks again for all your good wishes and prayers. I also agree with getting him out of the hospital. However, he has to be able to walk. Basically he had abdominal surgery yesterday,

Between my broken Italian and their broken English, I am really not sure exactly what it was they did, but it needed to be done quickly.

He is in a double room, but does not have a room mate. At least, he didn't when I left last night. That will help with keeping down infection. He does have to be able to walk to get him out and they did not get him out of bed yesterday.

I am thinking this would have been day surgery in the US. But then again, what do I know.

I will be at the hospital in a few hours. Will post later today.

Terri