Shorts are now fine for elegant

Crusin Hogs

It's the Fun Ship not some military code.

I suppose it depends on the ship and itinerary. Shorter cruises tend to be less dressy. What ship has the Fantasy Dining room?

I agree 100% with this statement. If you don't like someone wearing shorts, don't look at them. I would rather see someone in decent shorts, then see them in a dress shirt and pants, that they haven't worn in 10 years and is probably wrinkled and stained.

And you wonder why carnival is called walmart of the sea in certain circles.

Carnival's dress code is more strict than on NCL, so that statement likely has nothing to do with it. People who use that have delusions of grandeur because they cruise on a line that is typically not as budget friendly as Carnival. Meanwhile in reality, it can be more expensive to sail on Carnival on some sailings.

Sent from my Samsung Victory using Forums mobile app

I don't want to bend the rule so I just want to make sure before I go in. Will my stonewash jorts be allowed? While I did cut them myself so they have a little bit of the dangling strings going on, they are more of a whitish fade but you can clearly make out the shade of white. I personally don't think they look that bad.

Oh, I did cut the original jeans about 10 to 12 inches above the knee so not sure if that matters. They are Guess brand from 1993 so vintage but stylish.

Thanks!

If you get them professionally hemmed, they're "tailored" so you'll be all set. ;)

Edited by irishnyc

Personally I hate this. There is nothing wrong with dressing up once and awhile.

Ha I call the Lido the Nascar Buffett. All in good fun of course.

Edited by dharmapath

I can confirm that men were allowed to wear shorts on cruise elegant night on Fantasy on both a five and seven day sailing last month. I was surprised for sure and was waiting for them to get turned back. I'm very glad they weren't. I'm all for getting rid of the dress code. Also- shorts, really? Nice shorts are a huge improvement over three-sizes-too-small dresses straining the bonds of fabric. Also- I'm all for expressing yourself but the amount of ink clashing with outfits- example: if you have a huge amount of ink on your back/shoulder and a dress is crossing over it and there's also a sunburn line---- shorts pale in comparison. I know tattoos mean a lot personally to the people who have them and that trumps my random thoughts while waiting for dinner, but they clash, they clash...

Personally I hate this. There is nothing wrong with dressing up once and awhile.

If you are so keen on dressing up, wear your tux and long gown the next time you go to Chilis. You will look about as out place as you do on the cruise.

Have done 17 cruises and have worn a suit and tie for each elegant dining night but for No. 18, I just might do long Khaki pants and nice shirt with a collar. This eliminates having to bring a suit, a long sleeve white shirt, a T-shirt, a tie, a tie pin, black dress shoes, a black belt and black socks. That's about half a suit case. If my wife follows my lead, that should eliminate the other half of the suit case.

The funny part of elegant night is that as soon as I finished dinner, I would rush to the cabin to change to informal clothes so I would be comfortable during the Carnival shows. We certainly have enough formal pictures so that is no longer an issue.

With that said, I say "Thanks Carnival." Now back to planning cruise No 19 so I can buy a cruise while on a cruise. Might even buy new Khaki pants and a nice open collar shirt.

I don't go on elegant night as my wife and I don't wish to pack those kinds of clothes. And it's fine with us, we understand. It's elegant night for a reason and although we never go to elegant night I think they should keep it with the more strict dress code.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

If you are so keen on dressing up, wear your tux and long gown the next time you go to Chilis. You will look about as out place as you do on the cruise.

Hahaha, I was thinking a jungle river tour excursion in Belize. I don't know, I'm just gonna stick with my tux t-shirt taking selfie pics.

On our last cruise, we chose Anytime Dining, and opted not to take dress up clothes. On the two formal nights, we skipped the MDR and went to the buffet for dinner. I was really surprised at how many others had opted to skip Elegant Night as well. I have to admit it, it was so relaxing not to have to dress up for dinner. It also was nice not to have to pack the extra clothing. I remember reading on here some time ago that someone suggested that since the ships have two dining rooms, why not designate one for Elegant Night, and the other for casual wear? The menu would the same in both dining rooms, and guests would have the option to dress up or not for dinner in the MDR. Seems like a good idea to me.

Not the greatest idea to allow the dress to go even more casual. I wouldn't put it past people trying to see how far they can get and wear their bathrobes similar to what they do on Lido. Just picture someone eating their lobster tail in the white Carnival bathrobe. Real classy. I hope they police this. I have seen too many times when they don't.:(

Edited by JohnSpo

On our last cruise, we chose Anytime Dining, and opted not to take dress up clothes. On the two formal nights, we skipped the MDR and went to the buffet for dinner. I was really surprised at how many others had opted to skip Elegant Night as well. I have to admit it, it was so relaxing not to have to dress up for dinner. It also was nice not to have to pack the extra clothing. I remember reading on here some time ago that someone suggested that since the ships have two dining rooms, why not designate one for Elegant Night, and the other for casual wear? The menu would the same in both dining rooms, and guests would have the option to dress up or not for dinner in the MDR. Seems like a good idea to me.

Agreed.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

What do you wear for casual nights?

Bill

We were on the Glory last week. On the 2nd Elegant Night my husband wore Tommy Bahama pressed shorts & T.B. button pressed shirt. At the Hostess desk he was told he would have to wear long pants in order to dine in the MDR. He went back to our cabin and changed.

During dinner he would point out the men who were wearing shorts, jeans, and t-shirts. Uneven enforcement of rules at best. I felt he should have worn pants to begin with.....:)

Edited by Markmom18

What amazes me is the amount of people who get upset over what someone wears. Seriously I don't care what others wear it is not going to ruin my mood. I am not at work and can relax what others do is for them to decide.

That has always been my opinion on the subject....even back when I used to wear a tux on formal nights.

What amazes me is the amount of people who get upset over what someone wears. Seriously I don't care what others wear it is not going to ruin my mood. I am not at work and can relax what others do is for them to decide.

As long as your armpit hairs not showing, I agree.

I'm looking forward to just "dressing nice" on elegant nights on our Carnival cruise - no tux for my dad, no heavy gowns for my mom and I - dress shirt and pants (with a vest) for my dad and some nice flowy summer dresses for my mom and I. Makes packing for 14 nights so much easier!

What do you wear for casual nights?

Bill

Usually nice shorts and a polo shirt or button down short sleeve shirt. I suppose some would refer to it as "resort casual". No tank top or sleeveless shirt. I wouldn't want some blue-hair to have a coronary if she saw my arm pit hair while eating dinner.