How come rooms not ready?

I have said many times that I could get some work done if it wasn't for all these damn prescriptions! :D

Yup, and because they don't check their bags, when they get to boarding, the airlines valet check them for free. How is that fair? I see people trying to board with larger bags than I paid $25 to check. :mad: These same people are usually also the ones carrying full sized bed pillows and bulky jackets. :rolleyes:

I think we've flown with those same people !

The Stateroom Attendants get a print out with the guest information including bed preference. These printouts will be replaced with tablets. Guess the IT dept. couldn't figure out a way to transfer the bed preference info from the reservation to the tablet.:rolleyes:

The Stateroom Attendants get a print out with the guest information including bed preference. These printouts will be replaced with tablets. Guess the IT dept. couldn't figure out a way to transfer the bed preference info from the reservation to the tablet.:rolleyes:

Maybe, maybe not. Most IT items are an on/off toggle, so I have no doubt they could keep the preference if wanted, or disable that functionality.

I think I'll send RCI a letter on this. They have responded to me favorably before. One small simple change would make the start of vacation that much better and they could be class competitive.

Maybe, maybe not. Most IT items are an on/off toggle, so I have no doubt they could keep the preference if wanted, or disable that functionality.

I think I'll send RCI a letter on this. They have responded to me favorably before. One small simple change would make the start of vacation that much better and they could be class competitive.

I believe that it is already in the works. Read something that they fully expect that the same 10 minute check in system that they are rolling out with Quantum will end up going fleet wide. I believe that this will have cabins available as you board.

I believe that it is already in the works. Read something that they fully expect that the same 10 minute check in system that they are rolling out with Quantum will end up going fleet wide. I believe that this will have cabins available as you board.

Conflicting reports as to whether this is fleetwide or just for Bayonne or what exactly. RCI has the check in process down very well already, IMO, it flows well. I do hope they get the rooms ready at boarding; it's a much more relaxed way to start vacation than being herded to the windjammer with a carry on and a backpack.

The way it works is if you prefer not to board until the rooms are ready, what you would do is not board until 1 pm or when they are scheduled to be ready.

I realize this is a complicated system, but you'll get the hang of it after a few cruises.

Of course, those that don't mind boarding early can choose to do so.

The way it works is if you prefer not to board until the rooms are ready, what you would do is not board until 1 pm or when they are scheduled to be ready.

I realize this is a complicated system, but you'll get the hang of it after a few cruises.

Of course, those that don't mind boarding early can choose to do so.

No need to talk to me like I am a 5 year old. I know how it works. It could work better. I've been cruising over 20 years. Thank you for the succinct explanation of what we all already know from first hand experience.

Why should we continue to accept subpar service? Princess has no problem doing it. RCI can too.

Never been on a cruise where the cabins were not ready. The time is what ever it is.

Dragging bags around a ship is clearly ones own choice, having nothing to do with a cruise line.

Do they have a bag valet on RCI I am not aware of? I'd be plenty happy to check my carry ons to go have lunch. If they have this service not many people are aware of it as you spend most of first day lunch dodging peoples luggage.

Quite frankly, my wife and I are so tickled to be on a cruise, we don't mind waiting for our room plus we do as advised, pack a small carry on and wait for the rest to arrive in the room.

If you are content, that's fine. I see room for improvement in the system. I don't go to any other hotel anywhere, check in, and then take my luggage to lunch or dinner; I drop it off in the room and get refreshed. Like I said, if other lines can do it, so can RCI. Why are people so against RCI improving how they handle guests or against RCI being class competitive?

If you are content, that's fine. I see room for improvement in the system. I don't go to any other hotel anywhere, check in, and then take my luggage to lunch or dinner; I drop it off in the room and get refreshed. Like I said, if other lines can do it, so can RCI. Why are people so against RCI improving how they handle guests or against RCI being class competitive?

Yes we are content as I posted. Agree any cruise line can up the service if enough customers pressed the issue and are willing to pay if that is what it cost to change the service.

Majority of hotel rooms are not ready before 3:00 p.m. Hard pressed not to take your bags to lunch! Also, that would be all the bags - not just carry-on.

You booked a cruise, you did not buy the ship. A closed door means stay out. It is rude and ignorant to attempt to enter your room prior to the doors being opened at 1:00. The ONLY exception is bank to back passengers. The attendants prepare those cabins first, and are prepared for the back to backers to possibly return before 1:00 p.m. Otherwise stay out and allow the attendants to complete their work. It is NOT all about you, wait like everyone else. If you do not like Royal's procedures, sail with another line.

Good grief. . It was a simple, legit question from a very experienced cruiser. No one is whining or complaining. Just bringing a discussion to the board of which the usual ones cant play nice :rolleyes:

Typical Cruise Critic.

LMax, I would be very interested in the reply you get if you decide to write RCI.

Edited by ryano

Since I carry my expensive items in my carry on bag - cameras/electronics - there is no way that I would want to drop them off at my cabin unless I was assured that the cabin housekeeping was complete, and my door would be kept locked and closed! Sure Princess might let you drop off your things and then head to lunch unencumbered, BUT, are you sure that the cabins are completely finished with turn around? How much stuff are you carting around anyways? DH and I each have a tote bag with our valuables - not suitcases! :)

I don't go to any other hotel anywhere, check in, and then take my luggage to lunch or dinner; I drop it off in the room and get refreshed.

How often or where do you travel? Almost every hotel in the universe advises that rooms aren't available until 3:00PM. Sometimes the rooms are ready sooner but there are no guarantees and it's very common to not get a hotel room until sometime in the afternoon:rolleyes: RCCL should be commended on cleaning and preparing thousands of rooms and having them all ready by 1:00PM, which they almost always are. If that isn't acceptable I guess Princess is the way to go...........

Edited by bouhunter

I am not against RCI improving things or changing a process, just personally don't see the need. I would rather they spend their time and energy on other things. Each of us have our own priorities and getting to a cabin before 1 is just not one of mine or others on these boards.

We carry what we need, find a nice place by the pool, sometimes in lounge chairs, sometimes at a table by the pool. We then go get some lunch in the windjammer (taking turns, it really doesn't take that long to get a plate). The kids are then able to start enjoying the pool right away. If one of us wants to wander the ship there is always someone at the table/chairs to keep an eye on our things. We make sure to keep them out of the way. Works for us, may not work for others.

And, as for hotels, when have you ever been able to get into a hotel room at 11? If you get to the hotel you have to wait for check in which is usually 3 or so. If you want to leave your bags you can which we have done, but we still take our valuables with us which means we go to lunch or wherever with bags. No different than a cruise.

Since I carry my expensive items in my carry on bag - cameras/electronics - there is no way that I would want to drop them off at my cabin unless I was assured that the cabin housekeeping was complete, and my door would be kept locked and closed! Sure Princess might let you drop off your things and then head to lunch unencumbered, BUT, are you sure that the cabins are completely finished with turn around? How much stuff are you carting around anyways? DH and I each have a tote bag with our valuables - not suitcases! :)

But I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff people carry on the cruise ship with them. Suitcases that barely fit in the xray machine, cases of bottled water/soft drinks, coolers, clothing on hangers, etc. :eek: I can understand not wanting to drag all of that around.

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Here's the thing- you seem to be in the minority that you really want to change this. Based on the responses, do you agree with that?

So why take so much offense to such an easy solution?

We arrive at 12:30-1 to check in which puts us on the ship right when the rooms open.

Why do people feel the need to be on the ship at 11am?

If the experience of being on the ship an extra hour or two is that important, you can stay up later a couple of the evenings.

While it sounds good that other ships have access to the cabins right away, it does not sound like they are done working, which means that your stuff is in the way of them doing a good job PLUS that your stuff may not be secure. So what appears to be good may not be so much.

Instead of stressing the crew all across the world for such a small benefit, it's a whole lot easier to the system to show up later.

But I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff people carry on the cruise ship with them. Suitcases that barely fit in the xray machine, cases of bottled water/soft drinks, coolers, clothing on hangers, etc. :eek: I can understand not wanting to drag all of that around.

Sherri:)

For most of our trips, we carry everything on. (we also fly that way)

But instead of having to drag it all over the ship waiting, we show up to board between 1 and 1:30pm. Solution done.

Simple answer...the rooms ARE ready at 1:00.

In the "old" days I remember walking down the corridor and all the doors were propped open until the occupants arrived. I also noticed welcome baskets and wine bottles sitting on the desks in open cabins.

Now I know what happened to my wine.

I know the rules, and I can work with that. Big deal, you already dragged your carry-on from the entrance of the terminal what's a little more time or distance? Just don't get there so early if that's going to be a problem.

I don't go to any other hotel anywhere, check in, and then take my luggage to lunch or dinner; I drop it off in the room and get refreshed.

Hotels typically have a minimum 4 hour window to turn over the rooms between checkout time for the departing guest and check-in time of the arriving guest. Plus, only a limited percentage of the rooms are being turned over on any given day, so they can focus on those. Despite that, I've never seen a hotel with a check-in time earlier than 3 PM, and some are even 4 PM.

In comparison, Royal Caribbean typically has about a 1 hour window between departure of the last guest from the previous cruise and boarding of the first guest for the next cruise. Plus, 99% of the rooms are being turned over. They typically open the staterooms about 3 hours after the last guest departed the ship from the previous cruise despite having to completely service nearly 100% of the rooms. I personally think that's pretty impressive, especially given how many cabins the attendants now have to service.

Edited by UCF_Knight

On our recent back to back on FOS, the main doors leading to the hallways on turnaround morning were closed but not locked. They did have a sign posted saying that staterooms would be available after 1:00pm. We were told we could come and go throughout the morning as the doors weren't locked. The later it got in the morning, they had RC staff in the center elevator lobby area re-directing people away and back to public areas.

As others have mentioned, they are very busy not only making up the rooms, but doing other things that are maintenance related. They had cleaned several areas of carpet in the hallways throughout the ship, and had those big blower dryers set up. They also opened up all the balcony partitions and did a walk thru that way. I mention this so future B2B'rs will know to close the blinds while changing on turnaround morning. :)

Go to the Windjammer, pool or explore the ship. Of all the things to complain about this is the silliest. You are on a cruise, many people in this world are concerned at this very moment about how they will feed their families. What time your room is available is our biggest concern? Really?

It isn't the silliest if it's important to the OP.

It may be 'silly' to you, but not to everybody.