"Is formal wear facing extinction?"

SevenSeas70

My title is not necessarily my own opinion but rather the title of an article on P. C2 of the Washington Post, October 10, 2014. The article starts "It's time to put the tuxedo on Washington's endangered-species list." In this season of gala dinners that were formerly all black tie, men and women are definitely emphasizing the last word of the "black tie optional" direction. In a picture accompanying the article the only person I can see with formal wear is the server.

It's a question whether Washington leads or follows the nation (or the world:rolleyes:) but there is definitely a trend under way. I've put my tux away and feel the better for it, and still well dressed. I know this topic has been discussed many (too many?) times, but I found it interesting that Celebrity cruisers are not alone in moving toward well-dressed but not formal fashion.

You can read the article, with a different pictures, at this web address:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/wp/2014/10/09/the-end-of-the-penguin-suit-why-washington-tuxes-are-gathering-dust/

Edited by SevenSeas70
Add information

I don't think it is facing extinction, but I do think that there will be less and less emphasis on formal wear going forward. There will always be those who want to dress formally and will do so (you even see some formal wear--but rarely--on totally casual lines such as Oceania, Azamara and NCL).

We gave up the whole formal thing about 40 cruises ago. Still dress appropriately (jacket, white shirt, tie) but would never even consider lugging around formal wear (or even a dark suit that I would wear 3 times in a couple of months). We refuse to feel "underdressed" anymore than someone should feel "overdressed" in gown and tux on Oceania.

But yes, the times are changing. Just look at the vast differences in virtually every line (save perhaps for the UK based) in the last 10-15 years.

Maybe not extinction but probably on the endangered species list.

When we first started cruising in 1988 most men wore a tux so I purchased one. After it wore out I switched to a dark suit as most men were doing in the early 2000's. Today a lot of men don't even wear a suit.

One exception that I noticed - cruising out of England. Boy to the men dress formally, so much so I felt a little out of place with just a suit.

I think it depends on the line and where the ship is sailing from. Personally, I still wear the suit because my wife likes to dress up on formal nights and I have to admit I enjoy it also.

Hal

Maybe not extinction but probably on the endangered species list.

When we first started cruising in 1988 most men wore a tux so I purchased one. After it wore out I switched to a dark suit as most men were doing in the early 2000's. Today a lot of men don't even wear a suit.

One exception that I noticed - cruising out of England. Boy to the men dress formally, so much so I felt a little out of place with just a suit.

I think it depends on the line and where the ship is sailing from. Personally, I still wear the suit because my wife likes to dress up on formal nights and I have to admit I enjoy it also.

Hal

Agree on this one - may be if you sail from anywhere other than Southampton!

We have sailed with P&O and RCI from Southampton and the formal nights were very formal and had a great atmosphere. Cruises from the Med with Celebrity are relatively formal on formal nights, but more dark suits than tuxedos etc.

A shame if the tradition is lost -

I like the "formal night" on the cruise, but I wear a suit and not a tux. DW always has a brand new dress for every cruise. Maybe it's because she likes buying dresses. Maybe she's worried she'll run into someone from a previous cruise who will recognize the dress. I wonder if that's ever happened. Possible fodder for a new thread.

On another note, I've only cruised Norwegian once and they were very "freestyle". But they did have one night called "formal or not", so at least we knew when the cool photography backdrops would be up.

I personally love the formal nights. I get to dig out all the things I can't where any other time. Unfortunately, the problem now is the airline baggage restrictions......I can't take my full length gowns anymore as they are too heavy! DH still takes a tux, as in his every day life he does not even own a suit anymore. I take cocktail dresses, and where them every night on a cruise, not just formal nights, even in Blu.

I love to dress up in a tux, as I think it makes every man look his best and feel, for one night at least, a bit like Cary Grant. But the space it takes up in a suitcase is giving me second thoughts. Add in a size 13 pair of shoes and airline weight restrictions, and, suddenly, I'm not wild about dressing up anymore. We'll soon be a a TA, and I'll see how my wife feels about going formal. Half of me hopes she'll want to; the other half is saying "heck no"

Formal night ig getting tomean that you should not use a knife to eat peas.

I think that luggage fees and security are driving people to pack less. Plus they want to be more relaxed on vacations.

On a Caribbeam cruise I will shower before dinner and get dressed for formal night, by the time that I get my shirt, titans jacket on I am about as wet as I was getting out of the shower. G to dinner, sit down and end up taking my jacket off because it is too hot. After dinner I go back to the cabin and change into some casual clothes. Don't see any purpose of sitting in a theater, lounge at at a bar wearing a suit. Formal night requires that you wear a jacket for dinner in MDR, not in the buffet, Blu or specialty restuarants, so there will be many during the evening not dressed up.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

INteresting, just last night I started noticing that lots of people on TV are wearing 3 piece suites again-jacket, pants AND vest. I thought to myself, seems like formal suits are coming back.

Tuxes, both ways....I enjoy getting dressed in my tuxedo or dinner jacket and tuxedo accessories.

IMHO, it's almost extinct now. I rarely wear mine anymore. I never take it on a cruise as it does not travel well and I also cruise to warm weather destinations. Not a good combo.

In addition too many people don't update their own tuxes and they just don't look good. Shades of the powder blue tux anyone :)?

I have four children and 7 grandchildren and looking at them and their friends it seems people are getting more dressed up, not less. Just a few years ago celebrities were taking a more casual approach but all you need to do is take at look at the magazines and I think you'll see that although they may not all be wearing tuxes, they are certainly dressing up a lot more than they were for a while.

Personally, I think a lot of the people who are thinking things are getting more casual missed that period of time and the pendulum has begun swinging in the other direction.

Formal night is not really formal anymore. Each time I cruise, I see fewer people wearing really formal attire. I used to bring very formal clothes. I do not bring them now. Most people dress up somewhat. I woyld like to see the formal night officially gone. One of the big attractions to Oceania and Azamara is the no formal nights. Smart casual should be the norm. Leave the formal cothing home. Bring less clothes would also be a green thing. Lighter suitcases would be a move in the right direction. Add self service laundry rooms or offer unlimited laundry for a flat fee would also be a good move. When I sail on lines that have either unlimited laundry(windstar or HAL) or laundry rooms(oceania,azamara,hal,or princess), I pack less. Aside from riverboats and RCL,I cannot think of any line that doesn't have unlimited laundry pr self service laundry facilities.

Personally, I think a lot of the people who are thinking things are getting more casual missed that period of time and the pendulum has begun swinging in the other direction.

Dressing formally on cruise ships is fading fast ....

One "child" will dress up in a moments notice, loves wearing dresses, the fancier the better. She loves it!

The other dresses up alright but I am not sure for what. She wears the most outlandish get-ups... but she is a practicing artist that sells her jewelry/sculptures every day. I guess it goes with the territory.

I used to take the Tux as I rarely am in a suit, now I take a suit and with AQ it might come out and might not. BUT if the children are with us on a cruise, formal night is all out... not so much without them.

Aside from riverboats and RCL,I cannot think of any line that doesn't have unlimited laundry pr self service laundry facilities.

Here's a good resource for those looking for ships with self serve laundry.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1614

Lines WITH self-serve Laundry:

• Azamara
  • Carnival
  • Crystal
  • Cunard
  • Disney
  • Oceania
  • Princess
  • Regent Seven Seas
  • Seabourn
  • Uniworld Boutique River Crusie Collection

Lines WITHOUT Self Serve Laundry:

• AmaWaterways
  • Avalon Waterways
  • Celebrity
  • Costa
  • Island Windjammers
  • Lindblad Expeditions
  • MSC
  • NCL
  • Paul Gaugin Cruises
  • Royal Caribbean
  • Windstar

Lines with Some ships WITH and Others WITHOUT-See the link above for more info:

• American Cruise Lines
  • Holland America
  • Viking

Formal night is not really formal anymore. Each time I cruise, I see fewer people wearing really formal attire. I used to bring very formal clothes. I do not bring them now. Most people dress up somewhat. I woyld like to see the formal night officially gone. One of the big attractions to Oceania and Azamara is the no formal nights. Smart casual should be the norm. Leave the formal cothing home. Bring less clothes would also be a green thing. Lighter suitcases would be a move in the right direction. Add self service laundry rooms or offer unlimited laundry for a flat fee would also be a good move. When I sail on lines that have either unlimited laundry(windstar or HAL) or laundry rooms(oceania,azamara,hal,or princess), I pack less. Aside from riverboats and RCL,I cannot think of any line that doesn't have unlimited laundry pr self service laundry facilities.
I agree that formal nights are not really formal for the majority. When I first started cruising in the 90's, it seemed as though every woman wore formal or cocktail attire and men were mostly in tuxes. Now, in my experiences, only a few women wear truly formal attire, some with cocktail attire and many with everyday wear and less and less men are wearing tuxes, with more men choosing a suit or sports coat.

I think the problem is that the cruise lines don't want to offend their passengers and let most (I say most, because some are given jackets to wear) in in whatever they are wearing. I don't consider a beach maxi dress formal nor do I consider a dress or pantsuit that one would wear to an office formal, but that is what you see a lot of today. I remember on my med cruise on Celebrity many years ago, there was a whole family who wore basically jeans (before jeans were okay to wear in the MDR) and t-shirts every night, including formal night...the only one in their family that dressed up at all was a little girl who wore a t-shirt and a tutu and this was while probably 85 percent of the ship dressed formally/cocktail and they were let in the MDR every night. Now when the cruise lines won't enforce their dress code, then others see the less than formal attire others are wearing while being admitted into the MDR and then they feel that they don't have to dress up either and I feel that is what is happening hear.

In addition, some cruise lines like Crystal have reduced the number of formal nights on their cruises. Instead of 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise, there is only 1 and that sends a clear message, as far as I'm concerned, as to what their passengers want.

There is a way for those that still like to dress formally and those that don't to coexists in the MDR without any drama and that is for people to just concentrate on what they are doing, how much fun they are having, etc., and don't be concerned with what someone else is wearing.

I think that luggage fees and security are driving people to pack less. Plus they want to be more relaxed on vacations.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I eat my peas with honey

I've done it all my life

It makes the peas taste funny

But it keeps them on the knife.

An oldy but still goody.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm going to be on Equinox for 27 days beginning on the 14th and I've never purposely taken pictures of others that I don't know, but this time I think I will.;)

Be sure to post all the pics of people in their penguin suits from the Reagan era! That should surely make a case for formal night. :D

Edited by Scott2.0

On a Caribbeam cruise I will shower before dinner and get dressed for formal night, by the time that I get my shirt, titans jacket on I am about as wet as I was getting out of the shower. G to dinner, sit down and end up taking my jacket off because it is too hot. After dinner I go back to the cabin and change into some casual clothes. Don't see any purpose of sitting in a theater, lounge at at a bar wearing a suit. Formal night requires that you wear a jacket for dinner in MDR, not in the buffet, Blu or specialty restuarants, so there will be many during the evening not dressed up.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I think you may have a body temperature control problem or maybe sailing on ferries in the Indian ocean. Modern cruise ships are now air-conditiomed,

Be sure to post all the pics of people in their penguin suits from the Reagan era! That should surely make a case for formal night. :D

Ever since we started cruising with Celebrity in the early 90's a suit has been as much a part of the formal dress code as a tux. Of course there aren't as many tuxes as there used to be, but still quite a few. After you've been around for a while you may begin to notice that styles come and go.

I don't know what the purpose of starting another dress code thread is but it's always interesting that the people who want everyone to think no one likes to dress up are usually people who really don't even cruise much, and especially with Celebrity. Most people do abide by the dress code and those who don't kind of look out of place, but if that's what they want....so be it. Many of us don't always feel like dressing up so we just choose one of the other nice alternatives Celebrity provides. It's really nothing to argue about.

Edited by Ma Bell