So Many Travel Documents/Stuff - How Do You Organize?

ForSharonB

Gallon size ziploc for everything works perfect for me. I also put our 4 passports in a quart size ziploc and put it in the gallon size one so I can quickly pull those out when needed. I worry about keeping everything together and dry from rain or spills :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I use a flexible binder with sheet protectors and tabbed for sections. In it I have everything connected with the cruise; documents, luggage tags (until needed), copies of passports (actual passport stays on my body except while on ship where they are in the safe), excursions I am either signed up for or interested in, and once on-board I keep all receipts for anything purchased (sign and sail in one protector and all others in another), copies of FunTimes, and other items as needed. At the end of the cruise I have everything together and makes for a stroll through great memories and making of a scrapbook.

Here's the first page of my current binder:

CruiseFolder_zps9cb7315f.jpg

Edited by Swampbaby

iPad, TripIt Pro, iBooks, iCloud. Only those things that I must present via paper are hard copy. I don't want to have 3 lbs of packing weight used up by a notebook/folder filled with paper...

Edited by slidergirl

I have a small, wallet-sized accordion folder that I use for all the things that absolutely have to be printed out. Passports, letter from my husband if I am traveling alone with my DDs, luggage tags.

Almost everything else I do electronically. I have copies in email, so I can search that for individual items if needed. But our favorite way to stay organized is to use an app called TripIt. You can save all of your flight info, hotel, tours, etc. in the app. It has a calendar function so it will pull up which item you need next. I always make sure to have a back-up in case the phone or iPad dies, but it's very handy! Oh, and you can share it with other people in your travel party, so you can all add items as needed.

I always use a 3 ring binder to organize my info. I have sections for all the ports and the data I've collected about what I want to do there, maps, taxi rates, anything useful! I also have all our cruise info in there, color notarized copies of our passports etc.

This one is a work in progress, Still need my Flight info, hotel info, and luggage tags. Better hurry, we set sail in 17 days! lol

5cyic5.jpg

Good organizing. Noticing your late evening sailing from San Juan, I would like to suggest that you find a space on the starboard side of an upper deck for a beautiful view of Old San Juan as the ship pulls out - ending with your passing the dramatically lighted walls and turrets of El Morro (the Spanish colonial citadel guarding the entrance to the harbor).

I have a small, wallet-sized accordion folder that I use for all the things that absolutely have to be printed out. Passports, letter from my husband if I am traveling alone with my DDs, luggage tags.

Almost everything else I do electronically. I have copies in email, so I can search that for individual items if needed. But our favorite way to stay organized is to use an app called TripIt. You can save all of your flight info, hotel, tours, etc. in the app. It has a calendar function so it will pull up which item you need next. I always make sure to have a back-up in case the phone or iPad dies, but it's very handy! Oh, and you can share it with other people in your travel party, so you can all add items as needed.

Remember, you can access your TripIt information on the Internet at http://www.tripit.com. It isn't' just accessible via the app. :)

iPad, TripIt Pro, iBooks, iCloud. Only those things that I must present via paper are hard copy. I don't want to have 3 lbs of packing weight used up by a notebook/folder filled with paper...

None of the airlines I've flown with weigh what's in your hands, and I certainly don't let any of this info out of my sight.

Good organizing. Noticing your late evening sailing from San Juan, I would like to suggest that you find a space on the starboard side of an upper deck for a beautiful view of Old San Juan as the ship pulls out - ending with your passing the dramatically lighted walls and turrets of El Morro (the Spanish colonial citadel guarding the entrance to the harbor).

Fantastic tip! Hadn't heard this yet. We'll be up on the Serenity deck I'm sure.

Can I ask a question those phone savvy people out there...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I have no idea how to save things into folders other than what I have in my general email boxes (I have 3 different emails on my phone).

I usually take a folder, print out what I need (air boarding passes, hotel confirmations, car rental confirmations, set sail passes, excursion information, OBC information, car service confirmation) and put it in there in order of need. I have no idea how to use folders on my phone and it appears most use this with iPhones or iPads, neither of which I have.

Can anyone speak to this?

I like a pocket file organizer, and because most papers are printed "portrait", I prefer a vertical one, like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/316FeCSWqNL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/WLJ68583-Wilson-Jones-Vertical-Organizer/dp/B004E2NYVM/ref=sr_1_8?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1414091084&sr=1-8&keywords=pocket+file+organizer+vertical

the better to peek in and see which paper I want without pulling the whole section out.

You can get them in 5-, 7-, 10-, more! pockets, and with the opening on the long side if you prefer. And you can get them at Staples/Office Depot and other places, possibly for a better price? IDK what I paid last year... for our Panama Cruise I had I think 7 pockets -- one for each port and one for IMPORTANT.STUFF, like the car-park info, et al.

But that's just me! I like the flap-closure of this sort of pocket file as I fear everything flying out of an open one, and I don't like a binder (for this purpose) because of needed to hole-punch to save, and then open the rings to retrieve.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I have no idea how to save things into folders other than what I have in my general email boxes (I have 3 different emails on my phone).

I usually take a folder, print out what I need (air boarding passes, hotel confirmations, car rental confirmations, set sail passes, excursion information, OBC information, car service confirmation) and put it in there in order of need. I have no idea how to use folders on my phone and it appears most use this with iPhones or iPads, neither of which I have.

I wish I could help, but I'm an iPhone 6plus girl. I have always had iPhones and would be lost trying to figure out a Droid.

But I would think they would have something similar to Apple's "Passbook" which stores your boarding pass (just pull it up and scan it at the checkpoint/gate - no need for paper - I LOVED this), hotel reservations and such. Maybe try through each individual app (like Delta or whomever you're flying). I know IHG hotels will store your reservation in there too once you're logged in.

Sorry I can't be of more usefulness to you!

I use a clear plastic folder that has a "zip-lock" type of closure at the top.

I put all documents in order that they will be used - airline tickets, car rental reservation, hotel reservation, cruise docs, bon voyage confirmation, so on and so on. This folder fits in the outside pocket of my tote-bag carry on.

I keep passports in the outside zippered pocket of my purse so that they are handy, but a little more secure.

I had to look to make sure this wasn't my post. I do the same thing. Up until the cruise, I have a "folder" on my laptop. I print each confirmation, private excursion, car, hotel etc., but I put the e-mail or document in this folder. Prior to the cruise, I go through the folder to make sure I have everything.

I've become soooo lazy because I travel frequently. I used to get all super-organized to prevent stress. I had more time on my hands back then.

Now that I have less free time, getting organized is stressful! So, I keep all my emails regarding travel in my email program's "Travel" folder, plus I easily sync those reservations to my free TripIt app, which nicely organizes them for me. I only print anything that's a "must" (e.g., cruise ticket).

Air ticket: Check in with my passport or credit card at airport (as much as I rely on electronics, I rarely use my phone as my boarding pass due to phone freezing, battery issues, etc). If I need to access my reservation, it's on my phone.

Cruise tour verifications/receipts: I only print them if it says I must bring it in paper form. Otherwise I keep them in my TripIT app and email. Almost everywhere just has your name on a list, but I do read the fine print carefully on my reservation/receipt/confirmation to make sure I don't need to print a hard copy.

I usually jot my rental car company name and hotel name/address on a piece of paper in case I'm having phone issues. That's usually done while I'm in the airport.

If something happens to my phone, I can still find a computer (usually have laptop or tablet with me) and get internet. I don't sweat it. My husband and I also share a single TripIt account (he doesn't travel without me), so we have it on both phones.

I don't necessarily recommend this for everyone. I have low anxiety and am a pretty saavy traveler.

I use the same method as Oceanborn, but about a week before we leave, I take the material out of the binder and take it to Kinkos where they spiral-bind it with a heavy clear front page and heavy colored back page. I love this method because I then have a place to write in all the activities on the ship, like the meet and mingle, slot pull, etc that might be organized for any cruise. My first section is a detailed itinerary, starting with when we leave home. I've kept these "cruise books" to refer to and have actually gone back to look up hotel names, telephone numbers, etc in Rome for friends. I am not comfortable with just electronic info.

Bye the way, this is only for long cruises with a week or more land stay with air, hotels, private tours. I like having a hard copy of stuff, especially things that are paid in advance.

Margee

You should have a folder in your "Apps" called "My Files" or "Files" with a folder icon. Look carefully (make sure you are looking at ALL your apps, not just ones you have shortcutted to your home screens).

If you looked at an email attachment on your phone, you should be able to navigate that program's folder in your "My files" app (it's either on your Device Storage or SD Memory Card).

I find it very difficult to customize and organize documents I open using the existing structure and tools. My easy solution to the frustration? Use Dropbox or a similar cloud based app. Just don't put secure info on there ala celebrity-nude-selfies! :)

I have a pink plastic folder that closes with a flap and elastic bands at the corners. Everything (only bare necessities) goes in there in the order of use. When something has been "used" it is either moved to the back of the pile (flight info because it has the return on it) or tossed. It takes up hardly any space. I don't have any need for printing extensive port info, beyond the reservation receipts for my excursions.

I don't put important info on my phone because I'm notorious for not having it charged.

Kickin' it old school...

Get a folder like a 3 ring binder and plastic inserts. Insert your stuff like tickets, passports, certificates etc.

that is what guides do, they have everything in a binder. I take groups on cruises and put all info in binders arrange by priorities like plane ticket first passports second then cruise tickets etc

One manila folder with everything we need for the cruise. It's not like there is a surprise inspection out of the blue. We prepare with our cruise ticket and passport. Aboard the ship, as needed, pull out our dinner reservation if we don't remember, same with excursion, you know a day ahead of time to double check if you need to. No need for anything fancy. Everything in one place if needed and it fits in a very small area.

a404895ef6f57de7245ed1b5998949b1.jpg3a42cb86bc963d8484961f2b349b272f.jpg

I use an accordion folder. The only thing missing is our boarding passes for the plane. I don't like relying on my phone. Once, my brother's ship was late coming back and he had their flight info in his e-mail. He had enough of a signal to call us, but not enough to get into e-mail. Mom and I got to play travel agent.

I also type up an itinerary with confirmation numbers, addresses, phone numbers, etc... It's helpful to have in case I need to call an airline or hotel. Plus, I leave a copy at home so that people know how to reach us in case of emergency and when to pick us up from the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ehpride

One manila folder with everything we need for the cruise. It's not like there is a surprise inspection out of the blue. We prepare with our cruise ticket and passport. Aboard the ship, as needed, pull out our dinner reservation if we don't remember, same with excursion, you know a day ahead of time to double check if you need to. No need for anything fancy. Everything in one place if needed and it fits in a very small area.

Agree! Nothing fancy is actually needed but is OK if some wish.

The simple folder our TA sends works quite well for us. :)

LuLu

Here is my free travel organizer. Don't mind the white pieces of paper. I had to block out the name of the travel company as to not get in trouble on here.

I really love that everything zips and is secure - especially the Passport part. The outside zips too keeping it all together. And it's a small size as to fit easily in my carry on tote and doesn't weigh really anything. Not bulky, cumbersome, or too big.

Not bad for free! I highly recommend it if you can find one!

P.S. Yes that is an expired Victoria's Secret gift card. I use it for my in cabin safe :D

3c2e2a01f1dbb0ee74a5cb1acd62af5d.jpgb3b52511214cdd24d324500f3b68ebe9.jpg311f542e695a32949bfca73bd38e8beb.jpg

I'm a binder / sheet protectors / tabbed dividers kind of girl, but everything is also loaded into TripIt.

I like having it in my hands, and not dependent on electronics. As I complete activities or days, I toss/shred what I don't need.

It's a system that works for me!

I use a brightly patterned 2 pocket folder that I can find quickly in my tote bag. All printouts and tickets etc, are arranged in order of use.

I took a picture of my luggage a couple years ago, and printed it on 8x11 paper and that is included too. Just in case someone somewhere along the way needs to find it. (God forbid). I also take a picture of all our luggage pieces and finally take a piece of paper and write in large letters my name, address (or address of my business) and home, work and cell phone numbers, and take a picture of that paper. That last piece of info got my camera back to me last summer after I drove off with it on top of my car and it fell off. Someone picked it up turned it on and the first picture they saw was my name & phone #.