Quantum Failure!

M.S JAZO

RCI's IT not working properly? How do people dream up such ridiculous notions?:eek:;):D

Quantum RFID, security, key card system and guest service system are all provided by very established external providers that service not only hotels and cruise lines, but offices and industry globally.

The RCI reservation system is internal,archaic and outdated and poorly integrated and thus the reference can be made to the IT department internally and the interface with their website.

Just go by any Loyalty Ambassador or Next Cruise and look at the system they use and you will see it is the oldest thing on Quantum for sure.

That is, of course, now a serious security breach that I would be more concerned about than RFID cards on the door. But, the entire incident becomes traceable back to who transposed the photos and the incident can be dealt with.

I am sure that any change of photo after check-in generates a report to shipboard investigators, that then need to file an incident report.

They were checking photos of everyone who boarded the ship. That indicates that the individual you are mentioning made it past a specific security check at the port. That can now be traced and the individual dealt with.

I think it was day two of the cruise so I am guessing it might have got caught up in the big system crash/failure/mess/whatever on day one.

I did notice that when GS ran my sea pass card, the photo on their screens was the one I uploaded before I let home...rather than the one taken in the terminal :confused:

And the use of the RFID card is registered in the system and time stamped to co-ordinate with the many cameras in each zone of the ship that all are equipped with facial recognition software connected to the system that registers all guests, staff, crew and visitors to the ship.

With the current technology the information can even be stored remotely both onboard and shore-side in case of any incident or security issue.

This sounds like marketing speak from the security system vendor - in real life, things don't work so well.:cool:

This sounds like marketing speak from the security system vendor - in real life, things don't work so well.:cool:

Funny how well things work in real life when liability claims and court cases are involved, but not when a OBC is posted incorrectly or dining reservations misplaced.

Since the passage of the USA's Cruise Vessel Security & Safety Act (CVSSA) the lines are taking this very seriously.

This interesting current job posting gives insight into RCI and RCCL's security commitment and operation.

https://royalcaribb.taleo.net/careersection/ssrccl/jobdetail.ftl?job=62880&src=JB-10400

I find the requirement of '•3 to 5 years of experience investigating economic crimes' especially interesting.

WOW! I have never been let on a ship without my ID. In your luggage? hmmmm weird?

:confused:

I agree. This doesn't make any sense.

"Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do

I agree. This doesn't make any sense.

"Effective June 1, 2009 only a valid passport (unless otherwise noted below) or other WHTI compliant document will be accepted for entry or re-entry into the United States. For a list of all approved documents visit: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. "

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread. :rolleyes: The fact that OP didn't have ID on him at that time was explained by the OP in post #88.

Edited by time4u2go

And the use of the RFID card is registered in the system and time stamped to co-ordinate with the many cameras in each zone of the ship that all are equipped with facial recognition software connected to the system that registers all guests, staff, crew and visitors to the ship.

With the current technology the information can even be stored remotely both onboard and shore-side in case of any incident or security issue.

Excellent. So after the person has entered a room that isn't theirs...has stolen things, has assaulted the person who is supposed to be there and came in later, has done worse to that person...that bad guy can be caught.

I, personally, would rather not have those things happen in the first place. Silly notion, perhaps, to prevent crime rather than just make it easy to punish crime...

If all you board with is your printed boarding pass, how do you purchase anything up to the time your room is ready? You have to go to your room to get your seapass cards, right? What if you want to buy drinks, or anything?:confused:

Edited by emdia43

If all you board with is your printed boarding pass, how do you purchase anything up to the time your room is ready? You have to go to your room to get your seapass cards, right? What if you want to buy drinks, or anything?:confused:

You use your printed boarding pass.

Do I not recall that RCI just started closing cabin doors on embarkation day within the past couple of years?

Was this not how the cabin stewards used to know when to make that first 'courtesy introduction visit' on embarkation day? I miss that greeting soon after I shut my cabin door.

Traditionally, throughout the cruise industry, doors were 'wide' open without incident and still are on many lines I have been on, Crystal comes to mind in first hand.

Maybe our experience is not as extensive, but our stateroom door has always been locked when we first arrive.

Same for us on every cruise we have been on. In fact one time we had too much stuff in our hands and the cabin steward was around and opened the cabin for us.

This interesting current job posting gives insight into RCI and RCCL's security commitment and operation.

https://royalcaribb.taleo.net/careersection/ssrccl/jobdetail.ftl?job=62880&src=JB-10400

I find the requirement of '•3 to 5 years of experience investigating economic crimes' especially interesting.

I'm so tempted to apply for that job - sounds perfect for my "second" career - but alas, I have it too good at the moment.:cool:

Do I not recall that RCI just started closing cabin doors on embarkation day within the past couple of years?

Was this not how the cabin stewards used to know when to make that first 'courtesy introduction visit' on embarkation day? I miss that greeting soon after I shut my cabin door.

Traditionally, throughout the cruise industry, doors were 'wide' open without incident and still are on many lines I have been on, Crystal comes to mind in first hand.

I have never encountered finding our cabin door open. Maybe we have just not been cruising as long as you have, and we have never cruised on Crystal, but we have certainly been cruising for longer than the past couple of years.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I also remember all cabin doors held open with the rubber door stoppers. When you first entered your room and closed the door, it was usually a short time later that your stateroom attendant would be knocking to introduce him/herself and go over your information with you and ask about any special requests, ice, etc.

It seems that this practice stopped, for me, about 3 or 4 years back. I also realized that the little recessed area (behind the opened door) where the rubber door stopper used to be housed is now always empty.

Funny, how that practice didn't bother me at all, but the new "delivery system" of seapass cards is unsettling to me.

Funny, how that practice didn't bother me at all, but the new "delivery system" of seapass cards is unsettling to me.

Although I also find the new Seapass distribution process unsettling, cruisers already operate under a system of trust with regard to luggage. Most of our belongings (other than the valuables we carry on) are in suitcases left outside our rooms both at the beginning and end of the cruise. So I'm willing to take a deep breath and assume that rampant Seapass theft won't occur (or that, if someone steals my Seapass, the new photo recognition technology will prevent them from making charges with it).

However, I still think RCI is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. The added time it takes a check-in representative to walk to the table of Seapass cards and pull a specific passenger's card out is minimal. Check-in delays are more likely caused when people fail to check in online, bring their Set Sail Pass, input credit card information, bring proper ID, etc.

Stateroom attendants already face enormous pressure on turnover day to prepare cabins for passengers' arrival. And Guest Services personnel are already overburdened on embarkation day. Increasing pressure on both of these groups makes no sense to me.

The problem with booking cabins double does not only happen on Quantum. It happened also on Oasis during our westbound TA in October. One of our roll-call-members booked a Sky Loft Suite (from Rotterdam) and in Southampton, another family was booked in the same suite. All hell broke loose and they were negotiating with Guest Services about a solution. I do not exactly know how this ended, but there was no other suite available and one family had to move to a balcony room.

Happened to us on the Oasis TA and another couple we spoke with, seems they double booked a lot of cabins.

I also remember all cabin doors held open with the rubber door stoppers. When you first entered your room and closed the door, it was usually a short time later that your stateroom attendant would be knocking to introduce him/herself and go over your information with you and ask about any special requests, ice, etc.

It seems that this practice stopped, for me, about 3 or 4 years back. I also realized that the little recessed area (behind the opened door) where the rubber door stopper used to be housed is now always empty.

Yep, remember our door being propped open on Many cruises and hoping our wine etc. to be delivered..... were still in the room?

Like the door being shut now, much better!!! Sometimes they have been vacuuming and many doors are still open though, when we go in at the allowed time. So, it does happen.

We got on in Rotterdam for Oct. Oasis TA and are sure happy we didn't have a cabin issue!!!! I had not heard about while on board.

Edited by CVU

The cruise being two days... I didn't check in my luggage. We all walked on board with our bags. This not being my first cruise... and ID once on board is not needed as I just need my cruise card... my wallet is not needed and so I didn't have my ID with me as I went back and forth to guest services. So once I boarded with my bags and ID which was in my bags... that I went and left in my sisters room.

Sooooooooooooooooooo.... to clarify... I got on the ship checking in at the terminal, using my ID and my printed boarding pass. You do not receive ship cards before boarding... they are suppose to be waiting in an envelope outside your room next to the room number. The printed boarding pass has a scan bar they scan as you board the ship.

I clearly didn't sneak myself and my brother with our bags on board and gallantly went to guest services over a dozen times demanding a room. I did everything as Royal Caribbean asked... from online check in to uploading a selfie to speed up the terminal check in process. Just in case anyone is doubting a story.

I honestly didn't think I was going to write to RCCL... but based on what many of you have said being loyal RCCL cruisers... I changed my mind and will reach out to RCCL. Other than a standard email on their website... anyone know any other contact to reach out to?

If the situation happened as you say. You should deffinitly get some sort of compensation. A two day cruise is such a tease to begine with, now you loose half a day running agound?