Royal Caribbean Conciege Lounge Crowding

KatnBob

I never used to wear my Pinnacle pin, but now that they've removed the designation from the Set Sail passes, I'll wear it to prove that I'm allowed in any priority boarding line that may exist.:) And then it will sail in the safe.

I had a similar experience early in November and again just now when I printed the Set Sail. What I had to do both times times was when I completed the process as the C&A level was not indicated, I closed it out and when back in again to print the SS pass. When the doc came up to print, the C&A level was indicated. Just another added level of intrigue brought to you by the RCI IT department;)!

I haven't had these experiences of the overcrowding and what not, but my sample set is small I admit.

It does remind me of one experience though on Legend of the Seas when I went in to the DL during breakfast time and a woman was in there alone, no concierge or other staff, dressed in a very, very eccentric manner and bedazzled with cruise pins and she looked up and said "You don't belong in here". I didn't know what to say other than "Word gets around this ship fast, huh?"

I had a similar experience early in November and again just now when I printed the Set Sail. What I had to do both times times was when I completed the process as the C&A level was not indicated, I closed it out and when back in again to print the SS pass. When the doc came up to print, the C&A level was indicated. Just another added level of intrigue brought to you by the RCI IT department;)!

Just printed off 3 different SS Passes for our B2Bs and No C&A level is showing on any of them.

Crowded lounges.....

We go early get a seat and a couple drinks before the old 6pm dinner seating.

When "some" (no matter what C & A level or cabin status) arrive later and find no seats.............well............um....................most venues on a ship get crowded if you wait long enough.

So, there may not be any seats at the instant you want it...........but you wait a little or maybe go a little earlier, you can have any seat.

Sea Ya

But one of these days, you may be sitting in "their" seat, and will find yourself on the receiving end of the old expression: If looks can kill!!

I recently sailed b2b GS on FOS. The cl was so crowded every night that I did not find an open chair until night 13. Most every chair was occupied by a pin wearer so on night 5 I creatively took one of the white drinking glass covers with the rccl insignias on it and used a black marker to write my name and "suite guest" in all capitals. I put a piece of duct tape on the back and marched myself into the lounge with my official suite nametag, hoping it would get me a chair. Well I got no chair but boy did I get glares and scowls from the pinnacle pin wearers! Bertie the conceirge had a good chuckle though so it was worth the visual chastisement.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Forums mobile app

Edited by homeschoolmama

I have many Royal Caribbean cruises under my belt (D+) and we are a whole lot closer to Pinnacle than to the Diamond+ level.

Our last cruise was the final round trip on the Explorer from Bayonne. There was a Pinnacle cruiser, (apparently in a contest to beat Super Mario;)) who was so obnoxious you could not make it up. In the CL he let everyone know how important he was. Also because of his status he felt so entitled he shoved his way to the front of any event line with no respect to others. The worst was the lunch with the officers. There were many D+ and Pinnacles on this cruise therefore the ship held a special luncheon. He bullied his way through those of us waiting in line just because he was more important. Man I hope he's a happy guy, but on this particular cruise he didn't have many fans.

Edited by Oville

Well, we have not ascended to rank of D+ yet nor have booked a suite that has to be larger then a Junior to enter the exclusive realm of the concierge lounge. We did make a point to bow to the pinnacle members who seemed to camp out in the Diamond lounge daily in the exact seat every time I visited. The clicks of former diamond and diamond plus members were obvious and I would smile at them and nod hello. I was actually able to break into conversation of a group of 4 that was sitting next to me and they invited me to join them. Very nice people. So from my observations is yes, then the diamond lounge was crowded on Navigator, they extended the seating into the Viking Crown lounge. Along with this there seems to be a file and rank order of membership... Us freshmen must refrain from stepping on toes... :rolleyes:

Rules for life:

#1. Don't take yourself to seriously.

#2. There are no other rules.

To get back to the main topic of overcrowding in the CL, I know the free drink vouchers were setup to allow loyalty members to have their free drinks in any lounge; however, for the suite guests who have not attained higher levels of status, they can only get a free drink in CL. So, to deal with overcrowding, one option is to reserve CL just for suite guests (as has been mentioned), but another would be to load up three free drink vouchers onto the suite guests' sea pass cards, so that they have other options too. I have never heard this option been mentioned before.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just printed off 3 different SS Passes for our B2Bs and No C&A level is showing on any of them.

I have printed 6 set sail passes with no C&A status: 1 for November, 2 for this month, 1 for January, and 2 for February. I have used two different computers and 3 different browsers, but no status is showing. I don't expect to have a problem at checkin, but I'm prepared. :)

I wonder why any D+ or P would want to go to the CL on Freedom?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Simple... Raul! Raul was CL Concierge last New Years cruise. My wife and I went to the D lounge on departure day and the overflow was open. Very nice. Then, for some reason, the D concierge closed the overflow. The D lounge was so chaotic that people were getting totally frustrated. My wife and I went to the CL and found Raul (who had been the D concierge the year prior) was the CL Concierge. He is wonderful. We would go to the CL and always find a nice relaxed atmosphere. Now, we did late seating so we'd go up around 7 after the early seating passengers had left and the lounge was usually only half full. So that's why we used the CL on Freedom.

As for some other comments, there are obnoxious people of every status. So ignore it. Use the "Formal Wear" theory that "what someone else wears shouldn't bother me," and apply it to pins. Who cares? I don't wear mine, likely never will. Only because I don't want to. I don't care who knows if I'm D+ or not. I have a friend who always wears his. He is neither garish nor obnoxious. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He wears his pin because he feels, as mentioned, that the staff likes to see the frequent cruisers, and he says many have thanked him for cruising with Royal. So, to each his own. Let it go. An obnoxious person will be obnoxious with or without the pin. That's just how it goes.

As for "your in my seat," we were in a GS on a TA. We would go to the Suite area everyday for breakfast. One day they seated us in a table that an older couple had sat in for a few days prior. They came in and the guy looked at me like I had just taken the Queen's Throne. They were seated at an identical table next to us and he scowled at me the entire time I was there. I thought it was funny. In fact I nearly requested "his" table the next day to yank his chain, but the table we were normally at had a much nicer view. Anyway, he was a Suite guest and not D+. So it goes both ways.

But as for "the same seat every night," that is just human nature. We do it. We find a seat we like, and if it's open, then we usually gravitate toward it. I tend to park in the same area at work, sit in the same row at movie theaters, in college I was normally in close to the same seat everyday. So why is it someone is "offended" because a D or D+, or anyone for that matter, tend to sit in the same seats every night? I understand the idea some think they "own" the seats, but a some here said "pin wearers" always sit in the "same" seats and it bothered them.

One last comment from my soap box. The "obnoxious pin wearers" make up a very small percent of Loyalty passengers. It's been remarkably rare in my experience. But that may be because I just don't care enough to notice. I avoid crabby, arrogant people and gravitate toward fun and outgoing people. So I've always enjoyed both lounges. But the few I've noticed have been on the "older" side. It seems as we age we get more grumpy and set in our ways. I am 63 and not nearly as flexible as I used to be. So, let it go. Who cares. If the obnoxious people drive you out of a lounge, that's your problem. Just like Formal Night. Do you let the "stares" drive you out of the MDR if you choose not to wear Formal? No... of course not. Just greet them nicely or ignore them. But don't judge all "pin wearers" due to the actions of some. That's just as bad as judging all Suite Guests with kids due to the actions of some.

Edited by papaflamingo

I was wondering the same myself. We and most of our friends prefer the Diamond Club on Freedom.

Hi Ian! :)

Yes, we prefer the VCL deck Diamond Lounge also, due to the view and more room. Not near as loud either.

Can always overflow out to the main bar area if you wish.

Just realized we will be disembarking EX when you are embarking. Drats! Missed you

again! Will wave to you as we leave.

Have a great cruise and say hello to Linda for us!

Edited by island lady

Those cheap little pins are such a fashion statement.

I'll stick to wearing my Patek Philippe if I want to impress people.

I recently sailed b2b GS on FOS. The cl was so crowded every night that I did not find an open chair until night 13. Most every chair was occupied by a pin wearer so on night 5 I creatively took one of the white drinking glass covers with the rccl insignias on it and used a black marker to write my name and "suite guest" in all capitals. I put a piece of duct tape on the back and marched myself into the lounge with my official suite nametag, hoping it would get me a chair. Well I got no chair but boy did I get glares and scowls from the pinnacle pin wearers! Bertie the conceirge had a good chuckle though so it was worth the visual chastisement.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Forums mobile app

It is sad to see the level of intolerance on this thread. I am trying to recall being poorly treated in the CL by any group, and can't bring an instance to mind. I'm sure there have been a few, but I prefer to remember the enjoyable experiences there.

How has wearing a C&A pin risen to such a controversial level? Entitled people come from all cabin categories and C&A tier levels. The "war stories" do not contribute to the conversation and only serve to perpetuate the intolerance.

It is sad to see the level of intolerance on this thread. I am trying to recall being poorly treated in the CL by any group, and can't bring an instance to mind. I'm sure there have been a few, but I prefer to remember the enjoyable experiences there.

How has wearing a C&A pin risen to such a controversial level? Entitled people come from all cabin categories and C&A tier levels. The "war stories" do not contribute to the conversation and only serve to perpetuate the intolerance.

I'm pretty sure the lady who took it upon herself to wrongly tell me I don't belong in a lounge is the intolerant one. Perhaps some of these people should be reminded they are guests, not staff. Whether you are in a lounge by 1 credit or 300, you are in; whether it is your first cruise ever in a suite or your 100th cruise, you are in. If the card works on the door, in is in.

How's that working out?

You have asked me a question and I don't have the answer. I have admitted I have not sailed on Oasis and it has been reported here that sometime in Feb. the current CL will close and it will become a dining area. On that ship one big lounge is not in the plans.

Currently the suite guests and PC seem to be liking that suite lounge/coastal kitchen and time will tell how the Diamond club lounge will handle all those guests.

Again-things are evolving on Royal and it is hard to keep up sometimes!!;)

For the record I think the Suite/PC lounge is long overdue and vouchers were introduced for a reason. Royals suite perks needed a face lift for a long time and lounges ARE overcrowded. Many suite guests do not have the returning guests options to check out other lounges, have vouchers so they can often get having standing room only or as one guest told me at the door-too busy, comeback later!!:eek: I now have those other options but not all sailing with me at times do, even though they are in the same suite with us. This is why I am able to see this from all angles and see what Royal is trying to accomplish. I for one will welcome the change to suite lounges/PC.

Hey - Am I the only one who also visits the C lounges (Non Oasis class ships) during the day? I actually use the lounge for other than a free evening cocktail. We stop in for early morning specialty coffee and sometimes a quick bite. We may stop in later on the day also for some coffee. Often times we are the only ones in there.

On our last two cruises, we generally had our evening drink at a ship lounge. We've never encountered ANY crowds and have had lovely conversation with other passengers. The topic of accommodations or C&A status never came up.

M

To get back to the main topic of overcrowding in the CL, I know the free drink vouchers were setup to allow loyalty members to have their free drinks in any lounge; however, for the suite guests who have not attained higher levels of status, they can only get a free drink in CL. So, to deal with overcrowding, one option is to reserve CL just for suite guests (as has been mentioned), but another would be to load up three free drink vouchers onto the suite guests' sea pass cards, so that they have other options too. I have never heard this option been mentioned before.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Excellent suggestion! Are you listening Royal?? :)

Currently the suite guests and PC seem to be liking that suite lounge/coastal kitchen and time will tell how the Diamond club lounge will handle all those guests.

Again-things are evolving on Royal and it is hard to keep up sometimes!!;)

For the record I think the Suite/PC lounge is long overdue and vouchers were introduced for a reason. Royals suite perks needed a face lift for a long time and lounges ARE overcrowded. Many suite guests do not have the returning guests options to check out other lounges, have vouchers so they can often get having standing room only or as one guest told me at the door-too busy, comeback later!!:eek: I now have those other options but not all sailing with me at times do, even though they are in the same suite with us. This is why I am able to see this from all angles and see what Royal is trying to accomplish. I for one will welcome the change to suite lounges/PC.

I really liked the suite lounge/Coastal Kitchen on the Oasis. We don't usually frequent the lounges much for drinks, because we prefer to get what we want in a less crowded location. It wasn't crowded in the suite lounge at all, service was great, and we liked the food in Coastal Kitchen for all three meals.

Even with that perk, we still didn't sit in there for hours on end...there was a whole ship to explore and enjoy!

We just completed our 4th cruise and all have been in a suite. Drinks before dinner in the CL was a perk that we definitely enjoyed and one of the reasons we booked a suite on the Vision two weeks ago. Our previous cruises were on the Adventure and Serenade out of San Juan. This was the first time that we could not find a seat in the CL and sat outside the door in the Viking Lounge. Concierge and staff worked to keep everyone with drinks and made time to visit with those of us outside the lounge as well. I honestly can't say if it was mostly loyalty guests, suite guests or a mix of both, which is what I imagine was the case. Fact is, the CL wasn't large enough to accommodate the number of guests. We did have a couple of conversations where the guests commented that with the drinks loaded on their sea pass and then drinks in CL that they never pay for drinks on any cruise. The bar service was so slow on the cruise that some were going to the CL to get a drink to take to the theater. I don't blame them because getting a drink in the theater was impossible at night. So, yes we found the CL crowded this time but Concierge found a solution and we had our pre dinner drinks nightly.

Just had our first CL experience on Enchantment this past weekend. We were disappointed. Not necessarily with the other guests (we weren't in there long enough to overhear any entitlement conversations), but with the size of the lounge in general! There was seating available for maybe 20-30 people, yet there is easily the potential to have over 200 suite guests on board, as well as D+/P guests (We had 57 D+/P on our sailing).

We arrived at about 5:10 and simply wanted one drink. Now, I understand that we are a family of 7, but there was no way we could have sat in the lounge. There were maybe 3 available seats sporadically available throughout the lounge. One bartender basically turned us away, but as we headed out, another bartender was coming in and offered to get us drinks for us to take into the VCL. I must admit that I felt rather awkward just standing in the middle of the lounge while waiting for the bartender to fix 7 drinks. We took our drinks and found a place to sit in the VCL. We did not even attempt to go back the remaining nights.

I agree that the voucher system for D, D+, P and Suite guests would be the best solution.

I have printed 6 set sail passes with no C&A status: 1 for November, 2 for this month, 1 for January, and 2 for February. I have used two different computers and 3 different browsers, but no status is showing. I don't expect to have a problem at checkin, but I'm prepared. :)

I have 4 more SS Passes to print off yet......will look and see if it shows up. Doubt it. Things are changing slowly.....:rolleyes: Wondering what is next??

Having all Ds into one lounge on Oasis is the beginning........:eek:

I feel Suites do need a Lounge though and not be fighting for a seat. They pay a lot, as did we but still I think they should have the option of another place to sit.

We enjoy the CL for our coffee mid day, getting a cold water, checking the dinner menu if not in a Suite that cruise. Sitting with a coffee or tea to read....

And THAT is a whole different thread! Was rather frustrating trying to justify being in the priority boarding line last month! With nothing on the Set Sail pass, pretty much all anyone in line could do was say "yes, we really are _______ C&A members! The folks looking at ID and Set Sail pretty much gave up and waived everyone through.

Luggage tags list level. :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Printed 3 Set Sail's this morning. One for December and two for January. All three have tier level printed where it has always been. Strange to say the least.

Edit....Based on next post...also on Serenade.

Edited by looking4info