John and Diane's LAST Round the World Adventure

Johnny B

"Debby Bacon entertains in the Piano Bar every evening. Speaking of Debby, she is one of the most popular folks on the ship. She plays the piano, the clarinet and two types of saxophones, sings beautifully, and is one of the nicest people you ever want to meet."

PLease, say hi to her and her husband Ron from Gary and Lorna, Napa Valley, we just spent a lot of time with her on the Grand Asia Voyage...

She is very popular with her fans, isn't she! Glad you made it home OK; We didn't meet officially but we were on the same 78-Day Grand Asia/Pacific; Amsterdam en Den Haag ;)

So glad ytou have lots of day time entertainment Not so on our recent 14 day cruise on the Oosterdam nil activities during the day unless you paid for them or they were selling you something We so wanted to have lectures and the indoor 'sports' activities you mentioned 2 of the trivias were available but so crowded and noisy you could not hear the questions and they were not allowed to be repeated This was in the Crows Nest as it coincided with the happy hour and 2 for 1 drinks

She is very popular with her fans, isn't she! Glad you made it home OK; We didn't meet officially but we were on the same 78-Day Grand Asia/Pacific; Amsterdam en Den Haag ;)

If you were the security officer than we did meet, or were you a passenger on board?

Thursday, January 15, 2015 - Day 11

At Sea - heading toward French Polynesia

One of the things that John and I enjoy the most about a cruise are the formal nights. When we first cruised on the Lurline in 1964 and the Canberra in 1967 (perks of working for a travel agency), the nights that weren’t formal were semi-formal. There was no casual attire allowed in the dining room and that also applied to the rest of the ship after about 6:00 PM.

Nowadays, things have changed. It seems that every world cruise has fewer formal nights, and last year a formal night was even deleted during the cruise because “most people don’t like them.” I tend to disagree; it seems that the people who speak the loudest become “most people.”

This year I believe there are 13 or 14 formal nights, down from the 22 on our first world cruise in 2008, and on other nights, it’s never semi-formal but always “smart casual.” On our Christmas cruise, there was one middle-aged woman who wore short shorts to dinner every single night - even on formal nights. With Tom Grindley back on duty as Dining Room Manager, that would never happen. Denim (in good repair) is now allowed, but women’s pants must be at least mid-calf and men must wear full-length pants - no shorts allowed.

Whereas every formal night used to have a theme, now it’s pretty much divided between theme nights and what is called “classic formal.” Our first formal night, on January 7, was a “classic formal,” but tonight’s is black and silver formal. Next week’s formal night is French formal (I’m not quite sure what that means), but the one on January 27 is classic formal again. Some of the remaining themed nights are on Valentine’s Day - red, of course, Chinese formal, white formal, Indian formal, and near-bygone formal. The rest are classics, which I guess means wear whatever you’ve got that seems to be formal wear. Since we do this so often, I have the “cruise section” of my closet in the back, so I just count the number of formal nights scheduled and pack that number of gowns. It’s amazing what you can find at Nordstrom Rack or Ross Dress for less in this category.

The pleasure of a westbound cruise is that we get to set the clock back approximately every 4 days to make up for the time changes. The night before last was our first time change, so instead of being on Eastern time now, we’re on Central Time. I was told that we need to go back 5 time zones in 8 days, so there will be a lot of extra sleeping going on, or just a lot of people wandering the decks at 4:00 and 5:00 AM.

So . . . the sea days continue, the passengers are happy and relaxed, and life is good.

P. S. Internet was down all day yesterday; it finally came up for a bit this morning.

I'm with you. Love,love, love formal nights and I hate that they keep cutting them back. It's amazing what some of our fellow cruisers consider formal (especially on the shorter cruises).

Thanks for your continued reports!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Friday, January 16, 2015 - Day 12

Still at Sea

I just met a lovely couple, Jane and Bill, who happened to be sitting where our Trivia team sits in the Ocean Bar. When asked if they were here to play Trivia, they said that they weren’t but were just sitting for awhile, we began to chat. Jane then asked, “Are you Diane?” I was puzzled, but answered in the affirmative and asked how she knew me. She said she knew me from this blog and that I was one of the reasons she and Bill were on the cruise. Talk about a compliment! She said that they had been reading our blog and a couple of others for the last few years and decided that they needed to give it a try - and here they are.

I still didn’t understand how she recognized me, but she said it was because John and I appeared in Jeff’s photos occasionally. We chatted some more about getting great shore excursion ideas from Cruise Critic and then they thanked me for my blog and headed off to one of today’s ship activities. They just made me want to keep on writing.

I mentioned as a post script on yesterday’s post that the internet had been down. There is nothing that gets the natives riled up as much as problems with internet or having it down completely. Late yesterday morning, I tried to post the blog but had no luck logging on. I tried intermittently all day and evening and even this morning, but it was just “Sorry Charlie.” Then finally this morning it came back up - but then disappeared. Shortly thereafter, Captain Jonathan came on the P. A. system and explained that since we are now getting our internet from South America and the signal was blocked by our twin stacks, he had now shifted the ship’s path slightly and we’re now getting internet. Complicated explanation which begs the question: why did it take 24 hours to figure this out? Oh well, it’s back up again and the natives are now happy.

Last night was the Black and Silver formal night, with a Black and Silver Ball in the Queen’s Lounge. It was extremely well attended, I think partly because there was a raffle. The interval prizes were 100 free internet minutes, but the grand prize was a $2500 watch, donated by an Italian watch company which is currently featured on board. The dance floor wasn’t too crowded, which was nice, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

After the ball ended at 10:30, the “after party” was in the Crow’s Nest, and that was really fun. The D. J. was playing extremely danceable music and the crowd was fairly young - a lot of young officers and others who work on the ship. However, there were still a lot of us “oldies,” and I think we had even more fun. There were about ten of us sitting together, and we even got Henk, the Hotel Manager, out on the dance floor.

Since we turned the clocks back again last night, we felt almost obligated to stay later than usual. It was a good day and a great night, and today’s another beautiful day in the South Pacific.

Saturday, January 17, 2015 - Day 13

At Sea - Day 4 of 8

It dawned with blue skies, a few puffy clouds and calm seas the color of the sky, and we were two happy campers. After our stint in the gym, we headed outside to breakfast where we found our friends Alan and Sandra, two of the nicest people you’d ever want to know. They’re originally from Scotland, so retain some of that delightful burr, but now live in Denver and spend every winter on a warm cruise, usually the world cruise. We chatted about Trivia, with Alan jokingly giving us a hard time about coming in third yesterday (which he refers to as “second loser”) and about other things like the current internet problems, which we all agreed were “first world problems.”

Blissfully sailing across the South Pacific, internet or not, is my idea of heaven. There are so many aspects of this cruise that make me happy, most of them just little things.

I love having fresh-squeezed orange juice every morning, a treat that doesn’t appear too often on the St. John home menu. In the public restrooms, instead of paper towels or hot air dryers, there are lovely little face towels folded and rolled, to be used to dry one’s hands. Although I’m not a fan, there is an extensive sushi station at lunch every day in the Lido. One thing of which I am a big fan is bread pudding, and it’s available every day from 11:30 until 5:00 in a choice of vanilla or some flavor, like chocolate or fruit - along with custard sauce - yummm!

My very favorite lunch on the ship is happening today - the Mongolian Cook-Out. If you’ve never experienced this treat, it’s on the Lido deck midships, next to the pool. You get a plate and choose from a large assortment of noodles, vegetables, and pork, chicken, or shrimp. Then you get in line and wait until one of the cooks is available to stir fry your lunch. With a little olive or peanut oil, soy sauce, and some other flavorings, your selection is stir fried to perfection. I just love noodles of almost any type, so this is a wonderful lunch - especially stir-fried while I watch. Can’t wait.

There are so many things to love on this ship, and now I’m going to go and enjoy some of them.

Wow that Mongolian BBQ sounds great, we have never seen one on any Hal we have been on or we just plain missed it. We certainly will be watching and hoping it happens on our next cruise this Oct. The major problem will be it is a TA cruise so it probably is not likely to have one.

I know you are enjoying your sea days and they sound absolutely fabulous (Jeff's photos of the Black & Silver Ball were great), but I can't wait for your arrival in French Polynesia. It's one of my favorite places we've visited and you always have incredible excursions planned. Thank you for all of the updates and it's nice to hear that you consider internet to be a "first world" problem and it doesn't ruin your cruise, I'd love to be on a ship in the middle of the Pacific. Cherie

Great blog, a joy to read every day!

Can you pick Henk's brain further and find out how many President's Club, 5 stars and 4 stars? Would be interesting to know how this WC differs from regular long cruises in this way.

Thanks for your time and efforts with this blog!

Wow that Mongolian BBQ sounds great, we have never seen one on any Hal we have been on or we just plain missed it. We certainly will be watching and hoping it happens on our next cruise this Oct. The major problem will be it is a TA cruise so it probably is not likely to have one.

I think HAL only has these Mongolian BBQs on the Grand Voyages.

Since it very unlikely we will ever be on what is classified a "Grand Voyage", to us so far few of our voyages we would consider "Grand". It a little play on words, I hope you don't mind.

They may also have them on voyages that are long, but not officially "grand".

I'm pretty sure I have been on cruises that had one, and even walked through the Lido pool area during the preparation. The roof had to be open to let out the steam, smoke, and scents.

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - Day 14

Fifth day at sea (of eight)

One of the joys of this particular cruise is the sense of family felt among former world cruisers and the staff. The “Welcome Home” greeting we received from Willy, the Beverage Manager, upon boarding epitomized this feeling. We both know that there are other, less expensive alternatives to sailing on the Amsterdam, but because there is such a family feeling among passengers and crew, we feel that it just wouldn’t be the same.

If there’s one thing that will bring out the anger in a long-time world cruiser, it’s hearing a passenger being rude to a crew member - or an officer. I’ve seen other passengers come to the defense of a crew member who is being unfairly berated, and nothing will bring up an ovation faster than a compliment to crew members during a large gathering.

Although we are friendly to all staff members, we, of course, do have favorites, both officers and crew. We do love Henk, the Hotel Manager, who is always there with a smile during almost any activity. In addition, when you talk to him about a concern, he will always follow up. His wife, Crystal, is the Guest Relations Manager, a job you couldn’t pay me enough to do. She is so incredibly helpful that I couldn’t even list all the things she’s done for people. When we had to unexpectedly fly home when my brother was in critical condition, she put me at her desk to use her phone for about a hour to change air reservations.

Another favorite is Raymond, the Assistant Beverage Manager, who seems to always be aware of what people need and is ready to provide it. When his first grandchild was born during last year’s WC, there were dozens of passengers who asked to see photos and who sent best wishes to his wife and daughter-in-law. Oscar, an area manager in the dining room, brought news of his new daughter’s birth at dinner yesterday, creating a great deal of happiness among the passengers. Photos are promised as soon as they arrive.

Among crew, our all-time favorite is Manny, a beverage attendant, who works primarily in the Crow’s Nest. He always has a smile for everyone, and he calls us “uncle” and “auntie.” Last year there were about ten of us who were invited to Jolly Bee’s in Manila to help celebrate his finacee’s 3-year-old’s birthday (along with over 100 family members). This year, his wedding to Paula, who works at the front desk, will be on February 21, and you can bet we’ll be there.

Our waiter, Farid, and our assistant waiter, Priyo, take wonderful care of us at dinner, and Priyo is always concerned that we have dessert. Since we seldom do so, he makes a joking sad face and we then have to tell him, “Maybe tomorrow.”

We do so love these cruises, and as you can see, it’s not all the ports. It’s the people who make it wonderful.

P. S. Don't know exact numbers, but I do know that 72% of the passengers are 4-star, 5-star, or President's Club.

One of the joys of this particular cruise is the sense of family felt among former world cruisers and the staff. The “Welcome Home” greeting we received from Willy, the Beverage Manager, upon boarding epitomized this feeling. We both know that there are other, less expensive alternatives to sailing on the Amsterdam, but because there is such a family feeling among passengers and crew, we feel that it just wouldn’t be the same.

If there’s one thing that will bring out the anger in a long-time world cruiser, it’s hearing a passenger being rude to a crew member - or an officer. I’ve seen other passengers come to the defense of a crew member who is being unfairly berated, and nothing will bring up an ovation faster than a compliment to crew members during a large gathering.

Although we are friendly to all staff members, we, of course, do have favorites, both officers and crew. We do love Henk, the Hotel Manager, who is always there with a smile during almost any activity. In addition, when you talk to him about a concern, he will always follow up. His wife, Crystal, is the Guest Relations Manager, a job you couldn’t pay me enough to do. She is so incredibly helpful that I couldn’t even list all the things she’s done for people. When we had to unexpectedly fly home when my brother was in critical condition, she put me at her desk to use her phone for about a hour to change air reservations.

Another favorite is Raymond, the Assistant Beverage Manager, who seems to always be aware of what people need and is ready to provide it. When his first grandchild was born during last year’s WC, there were dozens of passengers who asked to see photos and who sent best wishes to his wife and daughter-in-law. Oscar, an area manager in the dining room, brought news of his new daughter’s birth at dinner yesterday, creating a great deal of happiness among the passengers. Photos are promised as soon as they arrive.

Among crew, our all-time favorite is Manny, a beverage attendant, who works primarily in the Crow’s Nest. He always has a smile for everyone, and he calls us “uncle” and “auntie.” Last year there were about ten of us who were invited to Jolly Bee’s in Manila to help celebrate his finacee’s 3-year-old’s birthday (along with over 100 family members). This year, his wedding to Paula, who works at the front desk, will be on February 21, and you can bet we’ll be there.

Our waiter, Farid, and our assistant waiter, Priyo, take wonderful care of us at dinner, and Priyo is always concerned that we have dessert. Since we seldom do so, he makes a joking sad face and we then have to tell him, “Maybe tomorrow.”

We do so love these cruises, and as you can see, it’s not all the ports. It’s the people who make it wonderful.

P. S. Don't know exact numbers, but I do know that 72% of the passengers are 4-star, 5-star, or President's Club.

Thanks, Dianne, for the percentage. Huge!

Love your posts!

Oscar, an area manager in the dining room, brought news of his new daughter’s birth at dinner yesterday, creating a great deal of happiness among the passengers. Photos are promised as soon as they arrive.

Please give our congratulations to sweet Oscar and his wife for the birth of their new daughter. We were at table 47 (early) from Seattle 9/21/2014 to Hong Kong 10/23/2014. Hugs and kisses from us would be appropriate :)

The crew make big sacrifices for our comforts.

Barbara & Jack Cummings

Monday, January 19, 2015 - Day 15

At Sea en route to Nuka Hiva

Boy, yesterday was football, football, and more football. Last year, the semi-final playoff games were shown in the Sports Bar with no particular hoopla, but yesterday it was waaay different. The two games were shown live in the Wajang Theatre, and it was so crowded that an additional row of folding chairs had to be added. Along the side wall was a football spread of food to entice any fan. There were chips, salsa, guacamole, sandwiches, mini hotdogs and buns, chicken nuggets, cookies . . . and so on and so on. It was very much like the Super Bowl celebration which is shown in the Queen’s Lounge, but just a bit smaller.

The amazing Seahawks/Packers game began at 1:00 and there was great cheering on both sides. The Packers’ fans, of course, thought it was all sewn up before the dramatic last two minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team score two touchdowns in 44 seconds. Anyone who left early thinking the game was over was sadly mistaken. The Seahawks’ fans were nearly delirious with excitement!

At about 4:00, the second game began, but I think the Wajang was virtually empty by the fourth quarter. What a blow-out. Even the fans whose teams lost were very pleased by the ship’s effort to make it a great football day.

As an avid reader, I’m always right there to pick up the newest book club selection, and I had read right up to the end of Chapter 12, as assigned. However, in all the excitement over football, I quite forgot to attend the book club meeting in the Piano Bar at 4:00. I was absolutely shocked at myself.

The entertainment on this cruise is always excellent, but night before last was exceptional. We have on board a four-man group called “The Alley Cats,” who are from Orange County, California. Like the old group “Sha Na Na,” they sing a cappella doo-wop from the 50’s and 60’s, and boy, were they great. In a crowd of this age demographic, everyone knows all the words and we were encouraged to sing along; after all, these are the songs of our youth. Their singing was great, but their between-songs banter was incredibly funny. They had a passenger named Mike on stage, trying to teach him to sing the very low end of the songs and he was really a good sport. As appreciation for his efforts, he was given their DVD when he finished. Knowing that they’d be very popular, Gene booked them for a second concert, the night before Nuka Hiva, where they disembark.

Last night’s entertainer, Elika Santos, is a Hawaiian-born Filipino and a part of the Polynesian group on board. He has a beautiful voice and sang a selection of Hawaiian and mainland music, including our favorite, “Over The Rainbow,” which we have on CD sung by Iz (Israel Kam . . . ), our favorite Hawaiian singer. He’ll be performing a half-hour spotlight this evening at 7:30.

I haven’t heard a single person complaining about all the sea days, and no one has heard it from me. These eight days are the longest stretch on the voyage, and I think nearly everyone is enjoying them to the fullest.

Monday, January 19, 2015 - Day 15

At Sea en route to Nuka Hiva

As an avid reader, I’m always right there to pick up the newest book club selection, and I had read right up to the end of Chapter 12, as assigned. However, in all the excitement over football, I quite forgot to attend the book club meeting in the Piano Bar at 4:00. I was absolutely shocked at myself.

Diane, Would you tell us the titles of the book club books , as you did last year. I was able to find all of them at our public library and very much enjoyed reading the selections. Thanks. Barbara