What do you want to know about Explorer?

Dave, the PDF did not open for me; however, sounds like this is same as print brochure which we received today.

Marc

Sorry about that Marq. I tried clicking on my link on the CC website and opened fine. Don't think it is the same. It is 16 pages, 4 pages for each of the ships and color pictures of each of the suite types plus a larger rendereng of each of the decks.

Send me an e-mail and I'll send it direct to you. Click on the contact Dave link and you have my address.

My brother sent me this link tonight for some pictures he found on the web:

http://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/cruises/2015/01/12/first-look-at-the-most-luxurious-cruise-ship-ever/21623065/

forgive me if this link was already posted.

I am so surprised that there is no Horizon's Lounge on the stern deck. Probably my biggest disappointment of all. I spend a lot of time outside there on my cruises. Someday, I'll just have to get on the ship and see for myself. Unfortunately, it won't be next summer. And here I am where I could sign up for the inaugural without a hitch. I love Regent, just have too much booked with family in other ways to be able to do it!

Edited by jhp

Well, that was all a tad underwhelming!

Granted the top end suites look pretty spectacular there are plenty of uncertainties & disappointments thrown in. Given this is billed as the most luxurious ship ever built I thought there would be a much wider choice of lounge, seating & dining facilities. What there appears to be is a fairly opulent spa area, (I'm guessing that pool area & seats will be inside, which is equally disappointing), and a huge pool grill area - which seems a little bit uninspiring tbh.

Early days, admittedly, and some clarity will be forthcoming but I was expecting an aft facing lounge, far more open deck space, a much more complete, even full wraparound, promenade deck and far greater detail re: dining rooms/options. A larger pool(s) wouldn't have gone amiss plus the odd hot tub scattered around - only 2, that is 1 less than Mariner!

I do like the look of the Explorer & SS suites but the prices are on the hefty side tbh. Surely there could have been far more detail re: bathroom & balcony layouts, both of which are very vague?

On our news this morning they showed pictures of the largest suite which will be over 3,500 sq ft. The renderings look gorgeous it boasts two bedrooms.....spa...grand piano. For a mere price of 5k per day..

Correction, the suite is 3900 sq ft and 5k per person. I wonder if you can get a private chef and will they charge for caviar. If I had that suite I would never leave the room....also gym included..

Unpleasantly surprised that lower suites are queen size beds ...I do not want to pay 20,000$ to sleep in a little bed

The "lower suites" being the bottom SEVEN categories. Only Penthouse and above have King Size beds. Really? All suites on Voyager and Mariner have king size beds.

I also think it is an interesting economic analysis to note that the fare for the Regent Suite is about 6 times the least expensive fare yet the Regent Suite is thirteen times the sq ft of Cat H.

Last, on a slightly humorous note, I see under the suite details that if you book the Regent Suite (at about $5000/day/pp) you get at least 30 minutes of free wifi!

Edited by Portolan

Regent shows square footage exclusive of the balcony. So the Superior suites, for example, are 332 square feet plus 83 square feet (or more) in balcony.

In the Seabourn thread I commented that Seabourn is the exception, in that their listed square footage includes the balcony. I don't think anybody else does this, so it's kind of underhanded imho.

Also... these Explorer balconies are really large! I imagine they are deeper than on the other ships.

Not true. Crystal includes the balcony, as does Silversea.

On our news this morning they showed pictures of the largest suite which will be over 3,500 sq ft. The renderings look gorgeous it boasts two bedrooms.....spa...grand piano. For a mere price of 5k per day..

5K per person!!!!!

The "lower suites" being the bottom SEVEN categories. Only Penthouse and above have King Size beds. Really? All suites on Voyager and Mariner have king size beds.

I also think it is an interesting economic analysis to note that the fare for the Regent Suite is about 6 times the least expensive fare yet the Regent Suite is thirteen times the sq ft of Cat H.

Last, on a slightly humorous note, I see under the suite details that if you book the Regent Suite (at about $5000/day/pp) you get at least 30 minutes of free wifi!

Not true about the suites on the Mariner, Voyager and Navigator having King sized beds. Beds are 2 x 80cm - can be split into twins. This equals a "Queen size" in the USA. King size is 2 x 90cm or wider... I think the "California King" is the widest of the lot.

Not true about the suites on the Mariner, Voyager and Navigator having King sized beds. Beds are 2 x 80cm - can be split into twins. This equals a "Queen size" in the USA. King size is 2 x 90cm or wider... I think the "California King" is the widest of the lot.

Thanks for catching that--I thought I was going crazy. Granted I've only sailed on Voyager three times, but I could have sworn I was sleeping on a Queen.

I haven't looked at any prices yet, afraid to.

Sorry but the beds on Voyager, Navigator and Mariner are two twins pushed together which make a King. A Queen is only 60" wide, whereas a King is 76" wide. I have a Queen at home and believe me, I love sleeping on the bigger bed on Regent!

Edited by cruiseluv

Well, all I know is that Regent says that all beds on Voyager, Navigator and Mariner are kings. On the new ship, the website indicates you need to be in a penthouse category to have a king. That sounds like a bunch of smaller beds to me, unless one really pays up.

Sorry but the beds on Voyager, Navigator and Mariner are two twins pushed together which make a King. A Queen is only 60" wide, whereas a King is 76" wide. I have a Queen at home and believe me, I love sleeping on the bigger bed on Regent!

With all due respect to Hambagahle, we've also sailed on all three ships and the bed (as combined) is definitely larger than a US queen-size (60" x 80"). It may be slightly smaller than a US king-size (76" x 80") due to some metric rounding, but it's nearly the same (as our king-size at home...we'd notice). According to Wikipedia (very accurate for factual information), European twin/double beds are 90 cm × 200 cm (35 in × 79 in), so two combined would be 70" x 79" which agrees with my impression of larger than US queen, but somewhat smaller than US king. BTW, European king size is 160 cm × 200 cm

(63 in × 79 in) and no European size is listed at 80 cm wide.

Also, they are advertised as such on the Regent web site. Were they not, there would have been infinite threads by now about false advertising.

All in all, this move by Regent undermines one of the things that I thought defined them the most and those was their egalitarian approach where the majority of passengers were in the same suites except for position on the ship. Looks like they wanted to provide more product differentiation and achieved it partially by lowering the bottom rather than raising the top.

Edited by Portolan