What do you want to know about Explorer?

Curious for more details about Regent Seven Seas Cruises' Explorer? Hang tight! Today, Cruise Critic is in Manhattan for a reveal of more details on the vessel, due out next year (we're hearing that among other things, we'll get a glimpse into some of its suite accommodations).

We'll be posting photos on Cruise Critic's Facebook page later today (Facebook.com/CruiseCritic), so check us out there (not likely much before noon). We'll also post any newsy updates quickly on Twitter (twitter.com/CruiseCritic) -- before we write a more comprehensive news item for Cruise Critic.

While we can't predict what's going to be unveiled at this point, we'll have a chance to ask questions -- and would like to know: What do you want specifically to know about Explorer before the 750-passenger ship debuts next year? We can't promise that answers to all of your questions will be available at this point but will do our best to track down any that we can today and post them here.

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS Take a look at how, just over a year ago (!), Regent Seven Seas' executives were already thinking about bathrooms on Explorer -- http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2013/12/02/a-closer-look-regent-looks-to-build-the-perfect-bathroom/

Carolyn

Would really like to see the full deck plan.

Deck plan:

http://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx?Ship=EXP

First cruise:

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP160720/summary/default.aspx

The "Find a Cruise" function is slighly wonky this morning, but if you click on "Next Cruise" from the above, it goes out through November for Explorer.

I find the pool at aft on Deck 5 intriguing. I wonder if it is indoor?

I suspect this is like the arrangement on Oceania where there is a small pool attached to the spa. On Oceania, you have to be in one of the higher priced rooms to be allowed entry, or pay extra on a day to day basis. I wonder how they will handle this on Regent.

As far as the restaurants, I am thinking they have not finalized the plans on what concepts the additional restaurants will be. There looks to be room for at least 2 more. They know they will have CR, P7 and La Veranda, but haven't decided about the others yet. At least that is my take on how things look.

I'm not impressed! At least as yet - the devil is in the details. Hope you're right about more specialty restaurants. I'd hoped for more space on the counters in bathroom, on desk and for makeup vanity. Smaller beds in "Deluxe" cabins is a bummer. Fewer Laundry rooms - really? A Horizon lounge that's not on the horizon!

Well, we have opted out of any early trips on Explorer.

You are right, Dave - I am VERY disappointed with the lack of speciality restaurants. Only places to eat are: Compass Rose, Prime 7 and la Veranda/Sette Mare. Not even a "Signatures" look alike... There IS some "free space" on Deck 12 I think it was. So who knows? Maybe restaurants not yet defined. But very small and where would the kitchens be?

Itineraries - a couple in September are of interest to us.

Prices - high as one would expect.

Overall I am not as excited as I thought I would be about Explorer.

Gerry

As far as the restaurants, I am thinking they have not finalized the plans on what concepts the additional restaurants will be. There looks to be room for at least 2 more. They know they will have CR, P7 and La Veranda, but haven't decided about the others yet. At least that is my take on how things look.

The only empty space which could be a restaurant I see is on Deck 5 across from the spa. At least to me every other space is named. Looking at the "Dining" options only see the same as Navigator. Thought there were going to be at least 4 specialties.

Also thought there were going to be a few single suites to help with the 200% single supplement and don't see those either. Would think these questions would be answered when bookings open which is in a few days??

I just looked at the deck plans again. And there is a lot of "unnamed space" on Deck 10, on the port side of the ship across from Prime 7. Surely Prime 7 can't occupy all this, and it seems to me that together with the other "unnamed spaces" on Deck 11 they well might be waiting to sign contracts with restaurant operators to fill those spaces... So perhaps we are in a wait and see mode. BUT if I were handling the marketing I would have made mention of the nature of these options... if only to stop people like me from raising red herrings!

(I am getting really fed up with CC's log in procedures - it seems I cannot stay logged in as I did before)

I re-checked the deck plans. There is "unallocated space" on Deck 12, port and starboard. There is also what seems like a restaurant on the port side of 10 - starboard side is Prime 7. It looks like too much space in total to be ALL Prime 7.

So my question/theory is: Could these spaces be used for other restaurant options and if so, is Regent waiting to finalise contracts with restaurants ("big names") etc to fill the spaces and not announcing anything as of now. I have to say if I were doing the marketing I would have put "exciting restaurant to be announced..." or some such thing in these spaces. But (happily for Regent I suppose) I am not doing their marketing. I think they may have had to go "public" with plans etc before they have all the ink dried on signatures (and woops! I should not have said signatures because there is no "Signatures" on the deck plans...)

I think I tend to view all this as a "work in progress" and I would be really happy if FDR would kindly comment. But I don't suppose he will!

Fewer Laundry rooms - really?

There are actually more laundry rooms - two per deck on several decks - it just doesn't show it on the "ship explorer."

This link is much better:

http://www.rssc.com/media/ships/VTE_pgs_165-177.pdf

The entire deck 10 aft is probably not all Prime 7 - probably will be several restaurant venues.

Overall, it's a very nice plan, I think. Even the smaller "H" category staterooms are a nice entry-point to get on this brand new ship.

Edited by iamheisenberg

Do the sq. footage sizes of the suites include the balconies?
Regent shows square footage exclusive of the balcony. So the Superior suites, for example, are 332 square feet plus 83 square feet (or more) in balcony.

In the Seabourn thread I commented that Seabourn is the exception, in that their listed square footage includes the balcony. I don't think anybody else does this, so it's kind of underhanded imho.

Also... these Explorer balconies are really large! I imagine they are deeper than on the other ships.

• Members

Hi everyone!

I went to the afternoon session of the presentation that Carolyn went to, and can answer a few things. Here is her story, btw:

*There will be 3 specialty restaurants onboard. The one that has already been announced is Prime 7. The others will be revealed later this spring.

*No info on pools yet!

*Here is the breakdown of number of suites.

1 Regent Suite (this is the 3,750 square foot suite that has a spa in it, plus a 1,000 square foot balcony. I saw the materials that they are using for this one, and they are gorgeously plush).

4 Masters Suites

4 Grand Suites

4 Explorer Suites

20 Seven Seas Suites

53 Penthouse Suites (they had materials for this one too - very pretty!)

140 Concierge Suites

88 Superior Suites

49 Deluxe Verandas

12 Verandas

*China in the main dining room is Versace, very classic and luxe

*Another thing that's cool about the Regent Suite - it has a glass enclosed balcony that sticks out a bit for spectacular views fore.

*The Passenger Space ratio on the ship will be 76 - higher than Hapag Lloyd

*What I particularly noticed was how this ship was really built for couples and a romantic trip. The theater has cabaret seating with small tables for two, and Prime 7 is built in a style that evokes an intimate vibe, without being crowded.

*The line will be revealing more details on a rolling basis throughout the spring. Expect the next announcement to give more info on suites.

HTH!

Yes, I saw the post promising more specialty restaurants...we'll see. Lower category suites are smaller and less well laid out (IMHO). No stern lounge.

Here are the figures I gleaned:

Suites (room/balcony in sq ft) starting from lowest category

Veranda – 219/88; shower (for 2?), single sink, no walk-in closet

Deluxe Veranda – 253/55-88 (2nd cat and comparable to lowest cat on Mariner), shower (for 2?), single sink, walk-in closet

Superior Suite – 332/88 (5th cat and first slightly larger than lowest cat on Voyager), tub and shower, double sink, walk-in closet

Penthouses and up go from comparable to Mariner/Voyager and (way) beyond)

Restaurants

Compass Rose – Deck 4 midship; appears not double-ended (forward entry only? and bifurcated at rear)

The Café (new) – Deck 5 opposite Canyon Ranch Spa; drinks and sandwiches

Prime 7 – Deck 10; stern, much larger...maybe to be subdivided per other posts?

La Veranda/Sette Mari – Deck 11; connects across at stern

Pool Grill – Deck 11

Lounges

Explorer – Deck 4 midship

Horizon – Deck 5 midship (no stern view from this lounge or any other?)

Pool Bar – Deck 11

Observation – Deck 11 forward

I was looking forward to seeing the layout and expecting much more. Please tell me I missed something!

Edited by Portolan

The brochure indicates "two new dining venues to be announced."

What I need are floor plans for Cat H and Cat G2; has anyone found them?

Marc

Cat H

https://www.rssc.com/media/explorer/explorer/suites/diagrams/EXP-VerandaSuite-488x314.jpg

Cat G2 and G1

https://www.rssc.com/media/explorer/explorer/suites/diagrams/EXP-DeluxeVerandaSuite-488x314.jpg

Edited by quepaquete