It's gonna happen, so let's suggest our own ideas...

cle-guy

IF they need to increase profits and cut costs, stop bombarding me with solicitation mail! the last two cabins we had were a CS and RS...we were bombarded with a ton of mail several times a day...come spend money at the shops, professional photography packages, art auctions and on and on and on...:rolleyes: It was annoying.

if they feel the need to bombard me with literature, at least have a recycling bin so we can dump it there. made me feel bad for dumping in the trash. :(

Most of those are sent by the entities (not the cruise line) who operate those venues out of their costs, not out of X's cost so therefore those costs don't get passed onto the general passenger, only those passengers who elect to purchase thru those entities. In fact I believe every single specific example you listed, falls under 3rd party suppliers.

Cruise ships sort all the trash, so any paper, glass, metal etc. that gets tossed into the garbage stream, does got thru a manual hand sorting process down below, so don't feel guilty about tossing anything, it gets sorted.

I happen to like getting daily "ship mail" in fact I prepare printed invitations to send out for various gatherings I host during the cruise :-)

Edited by cle-guy

LOL! When we were your age, we also felt that way.

The marketing people at Celebrity are aware of that, and they are trying to appeal to more younger people to expand their passenger base.

However, what happens in reality is that the people in your age group soon reach the "old people" stage themselves (if they are lucky), so if Celebrity doesn't get them now, they get them later.

Those who are the "old people" to you are the very ones who have the most disposable income and also the most time available to cruise.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to anyone as being old. That is just a comment that I often hear when the topic of a Celebrity cruise is discussed amongst my social circle. People who have cruised Celebrity know the line is great for a wide age range; however, people who haven't yet cruised don't know this.

There are quite a few younger and middle aged people who also have the time and disposable income to cruise.

My point was that if Celebrity needs to increase revenue, they should do a better job of marketing themselves to a wider age group. More people booking = ships selling out in advance, which eliminates the need for having to drop prices after the final payment date.

Congrats on your impending Zenith status, that's a big achievement for sure.

I'm not sure what basic amenities we have been discussing that are taking anything away from others, especially within the context of modern cruising and among all the lines. Some have noted several lines offer VIP pool seating, no longer mail out luggage tags etc. Any suggestions here that seems as if its removing anything from others, really is just carving out a space, still leaving that balance of space for others to use.

Asking for unlimited laundry adds value to some, asking for a VIP club for faster embarkation and luggage delivery enhances, these aren't removing anything from others. Suggesting a public notice of cabins for upgrades at a fee doesn't take anything away, it allows people to enhance their voyages.

There will always be lines with no such perks, and there will be liens that add the perks, and lines in the middle. People who are truly value conscious, truly don;t belong on X due to the cost of onboard amenities. They belong on another line who include more things or offer less luxury, thats why so many lines exist, to provide a nice for each type of consumer, luxury or value conscious. Sometimes the luxury lines can accommodate both, sometimes not. Its why Carnival has no true premium suites on their ships, but their sister brand Cunard is high end and charges a premium for sailing and has several grandiose choices.

I would add that as Michaels was once a public space, I hope that you would avoid using this now private space when cruising as a Zenith member (or when in a suite), so that you adhere to the standards you present and hold so important.

Feel free to pick and choose what you will but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying.

I would also add that even though it is stated in their cruise contract that if oil goes over a certain $$ amount they can add a fuel surcharge, Celebrity never did that when prices sky-rocketed.

That is not accurate. They DID raise prices using the cruise contract provision that they could. The pushback was enormous and they backed off. They tried to pump up our Xpedition cruise (already $5 digits) with a supplemental invoice but eventually relented.

Large transportation companies like airlines, delivery firms, and cruise lines typically contract for fuel at a set price for a specific length of time. This is called "hedging". http://www.global-riskmanagement.com/en/why-protect/fuel-risk-exposure/hedging-fuel-risk

The purpose is to level out the fluctuations of fuel prices. It is very beneficial when prices continue to go up, but damaging if prices go down. The company is betting that prices will go up and they win by contracting to pay a set amount per gallon, regardless of the amount of the increases.

Much like booking a cruise at a certain price, when prices go up you aren't required to pay the difference of the increase. If prices go down below what you paid for at final payment, you end up paying more than you could have, but are locked in to the price you paid.

Bottom line, if prices go down, it doesn't mean the cruise lines are saving money. They may well be locked into a contracted per gallon price that may be more than the current price if fuel prices have gone down.

In short - they don't a price break, and neither do we.

I know that...there's also nothing stopping them from buying another contract to bring their average cost down.

I know that...there's also nothing stopping them from buying another contract to bring their average cost down.

Except for fulfilling their commitments to current contracts already in place. Any potential savings relative to fuel are several accounting periods off for sure.

I am not sure how far out they go, I suspect perhaps it's in their financials?

EDIT:

http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=10109436-22713-133260&type=sect&TabIndex=2&dcn=0000884887-14-000078&nav=1&src=Yahoo

Current fuel hedging goes through 2017.

Edited by cle-guy

This needs to be more heavily advertised then, and signed, so the masses know it not just the "insiders". 9 cruises, I never knew....

It is the way they want it. Otherwise you end up with the long lines you see at the Purser's at the Port Coordinator, many of which are just curious or lookie loos with no intention of paying for an upgrade.

It is the way they want it. Otherwise you end up with the long lines you see at the Purser's at the Port Coordinator, many of which are just curious or lookie loos with no intention of paying for an upgrade.

Partly why I suggest posting the availability and pricing.

Celebrity does many things well. Mimosas at checkin indicate we have started vacation. Ice cold towels when coming back to the ship after an island, indicates, to us, that Celebrity is pleased to welcome us back aboard (love those icy towels!).

I agree with Curt that a decent wine by the glass in different venues would be very welcome as DH doesn't drink wine & I like to branch out, I get bored with an entire bottle.

I'll miss the chocolates on the pillows, but our stateroom attendant last time said we were his only guests that enjoyed them that trip.

I really don't like the specialty restaurants, we enjoy the MDR, we've been disappointed each time we've tried the specialties (on different ships) & they're way too expensive (we can afford them, but why when we don't enjoy them).

Love the bridge & galley tours, love the smiles & greetings from officers & crew.

& just did the luggage tag dance for our Eclipse sailing in 40ish days ;). Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have the plastic luggage tag holders and they work great. Just print out my luggage tags, fold them, slip them into the holders and put them on my bags. I could care less anymore about getting tags mailed. I am so used to Royal and Princess having just the paper ones, that it makes no difference to me anymore

We get our bags tagged at the airport when we fly and at the cruise port when we cruise, regardless of which airline or cruise line we are using.

We have never had any need or desire to bother with luggage tags in advance at all, for either airline flights or cruises.

Celebrity is apparently trying to please as many people as possible, by offering the various luggage tag options that they do.

Thank you Curt for starting this thread. I think it is great for us to suggest ideas. Here are our ideas and thoughts based on what we would personally pay extra for and what we think others may pay extra for. I have no problem paying extra for certain things, as long as the value is there.

Reserved Pool Chairs: I love this idea. We would definitely pay extra for this especially on a sea day when we know the weather is going to be very nice. We typically sleep in and the chair hogs have taken all the good seats and have gone off to other parts of the ship.

Unlimited Internet: Once they're able to increase their bandwidth on the ships, I would like to see an unlimited internet package where you pay by the day. Similar to the beverage package. For those of us that are self-employed, work from home, etc. this can allow us to travel more!

Someone already mentioned unlimited laundry for a price per day, another great idea.

Higher End Liquor: There are plenty of highly expensive scotches, but some are upwards to $250/300 per glass. I'd like to see some more mid-priced items that are around $20 to $40 per glass. Those of us who always purchase the premium package would get a little discount but would start spending extra to try some better drinks. The same would be great for wine as well.

HIGH END Specialty: Model a restaurant after some of the best in the world. Bring in some of the best, most influential chefs in the world to design not only a menu but a restaurant concept (I'm thinking along the lines of Thomas Keller, etc). This is something I would definitely pay extra for as it is a rare experience. Steak houses, nice Italian, most of us all have that in our current towns. So as long as our regular dinner (MDR, Blu, Suite Restaurant, etc.) is good, there is little incentive to book a specialty...or there is at least a certain price ceiling which I think they've already hit. But an incredible WOW restaurant...we would definitely pay a great deal extra for a once in a lifetime type of experience.

Wine Tasting / Liquor Tasting / Cooking: While Celebrity has done some of these, I think these areas can be expanded on greatly. What about a workshop about Whiskey, Bourbon and Scotch? What about a proper wine tasting class that teaches you how to identify flavors in wine, tannins, etc. What about advanced wine tasting for those experienced with wine (whether professionally or just because they know it so well from their everyday lives). These are great options because if there is no interest, there is nothing lost. But if there is interest, there is extra revenue that can be gained.

We have lots of small companies here in Chicago that host cooking classes. We have not been to one in some time, but we love them. We get to interact with chefs, we get to meet new people, learn lots and have a great time. We then eat what we cooked. What about doing this on the ship? It could be great for foodies but also for families too. Kids can learn how to make cupcakes and basic foods and those of us more experienced with cooking can learn french cooking techniques or something more adventurous such as exotic asian foods, etc. This could be great on sea days and on TAs.

I'm sure I will think of some others, but these are my ideas for now.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

I also think the price of the specialty restaurants should be lowered. On our last two X cruises, the specialty restaurants always seemed empty. There would often be staff offering deals to those waiting to get into Select Dining.

Seeing them offer a lower price onboard hardly encourages anyone to pay full price or make reservations in advance.

It makes more sense to charge $20-30pp and have it full vs. charging $45 and having them sit empty.

All the suggestions will only generate small revenue streams. I don't seek Celebrity's 10K have a line for pool chair rentals. The real savings is creating a highly functional website that thereby reduces the personnel needed to staff the 1-800 numbers.

With all these possible sources of extra income, Celebrity needs to be very careful about how these extras are presented to passengers. My sister and brother-in-law took an anniversary cruise last year (another line) and said they might be done cruising. They felt like every time they turned around they were being pushed to pay more money. When I asked about it, it turned out to be extras. People want the options, but don't want to feel like they only had part of the cruise experience if they don't buy the extras.

All the suggestions will only generate small revenue streams. I don't seek Celebrity's 10K have a line for pool chair rentals. The real savings is creating a highly functional website that thereby reduces the personnel needed to staff the 1-800 numbers.

There''s no line in the 10k about photographs, or the stores, or even shore excursion revenues either, so certainly chair rentals wouldn't get there either. All rolls to "on board revenue".

Or letting Travel agents handle it all. Lille;y costs to pay commissions to TA;'s offsets the call center costs, Costs to update a website like this one, and then properly maintain it are enormous, when you consider the various databases that need linked together etc. It is a big undertaking. I have no doubt there has been a cost-benefit analysis done someplace and it has been determined its not a priority, as the issues are so long on and well known, and given that there is a huge push to find revenues and cost savings. If they determined there were costs to be saved or revenues to be generated, they would certainly be all over it. And RCI's site is as buggy I'm finding out as I research my October cruise on Anthem.

Casual and new cruisers are going to roll with it and never know any different, and book excursions once on board. And theres a good amount of folks who get OBC from various places, that want to wait and spend it on excursions, which can't be done till on board.

I would love to see a Chef's Table on every ship with an inventive menu specially created by the head chef. I've yet to be on a Celebrity cruse that had one (although I know sometimes some do), and the ones I've read about seem to not be impressive. If they had a consistent Chef's Table with amazing food and pairings, I would gladly pay.

I would not like to see the luggage tags go away, though. I like having them delivered, and I would think because Celebrity has access to large printers, they can keep the price down pretty low... probably lower than it costs me for the ink I spend on them and the time I spend putting them together.

Hey Cle. Interesting thread. I'm thinking you might be the guy that suggested the airlines could make a lot more money by charging separately for baggage and carry-on. If so, thanks. I really enjoy my air travel more.

Really? We need to cook up items for the cruise line to tack on extra charges for? Then how about a service charge for using the public restrooms. That could be a huge profit center for them given the large numbers of imbibers who can't make it back from the bars or dining rooms to their staterooms to use the facilities. Or how about maybe napkin service and soda straw charges. Anyway, when the day comes that I have to pay an add on fee for the privilege of sitting on the deck in the sun then that's day I either change cruise lines or quit cruising.

If the cruise line needs to make more money then they should identify completely new revenue opportunities that passengers might willing elect to participate in, rather than stripping out previously included benefits and then charging for them. If they aren't sufficiently profitable then they should simply raise their base prices. There's already enough carping on these boards about the nickel and dime mentality creeping into the cruise experience and I for one don't feel a need to encourage the cruise lines to get more creative in that regard.

Hey Cle. Interesting thread. I'm thinking you might be the guy that suggested the airlines could make a lot more money by charging separately for baggage and carry-on. If so, thanks. I really enjoy my air travel more. .

I quite enjoy that I can fly Frontier airline to Denver for $130 plus $25 cabin baggage plus $50 checked bag, or pay United $500 for that trip and get free cabin luggage and pay $25 for my checked bag.

If I can carry on and not check a bag, Frontier costs me $155, United costs me $500.

Works for me.

Or we can just have all airlines include everything stop a-la-carte pricing and see the united ticket go from $500 to $700, and frontier go from $130 to $400 straight away.

Money has to come from someplace, I prefer an a-la-cart pay if I use it approach to a lot of it, rather than subsidizing all my fellow travelers for things I won't use.

Really? We need to cook up items for the cruise line to tack on extra charges for? Then how about a service charge for using the public restrooms. That could be a huge profit center for them given the large numbers of imbibers who can't make it back from the bars or dining rooms to their staterooms to use the facilities. Or how about maybe napkin service and soda straw charges. Anyway, when the day comes that I have to pay an add on fee for the privilege of sitting on the deck in the sun then that's day I either change cruise lines or quit cruising.

No one is at all suggesting a pay to use toilet option, or napkin and straw charge., that;'s not at all what this thread is about. The thread is saying leave 90% deck chairs as is, and allocate 10% to reserved seating, something other lines do already as other posters have stated. Haven't taken anything away from anyone, yet have given opportunities to others.

If the cruise line needs to make more money then they should identify completely new revenue opportunities that passengers might willing elect to participate in, rather than stripping out previously included benefits and then charging for them. If they aren't sufficiently profitable then they should simply raise their base prices. There's already enough carping on these boards about the nickel and dime mentality creeping into the cruise experience and I for one don't feel a need to encourage the cruise lines to get more creative in that regard.

There's as much "carping" on theses boards about fare increase, as much as nickel and dining I think. As fare increases hurt EVERY cruiser, whereas nickel and dining only affects those who choose to buy into extras, I think it far better to look to ways to keep fares steady in stead if penalizing every cruiser.

Congrats on your impending Zenith status, that's a big achievement for sure.

I'm not sure what basic amenities we have been discussing that are taking anything away from others, especially within the context of modern cruising and among all the lines. Some have noted several lines offer VIP pool seating, no longer mail out luggage tags etc. Any suggestions here that seems as if its removing anything from others, really is just carving out a space, still leaving that balance of space for others to use.

Asking for unlimited laundry adds value to some, asking for a VIP club for faster embarkation and luggage delivery enhances, these aren't removing anything from others. Suggesting a public notice of cabins for upgrades at a fee doesn't take anything away, it allows people to enhance their voyages.

There will always be lines with no such perks, and there will be liens that add the perks, and lines in the middle. People who are truly value conscious, truly don;t belong on X due to the cost of onboard amenities. They belong on another line who include more things or offer less luxury, thats why so many lines exist, to provide a nice for each type of consumer, luxury or value conscious. Sometimes the luxury lines can accommodate both, sometimes not. Its why Carnival has no true premium suites on their ships, but their sister brand Cunard is high end and charges a premium for sailing and has several grandiose choices.

I would add that as Michaels was once a public space, I hope that you would avoid using this now private space when cruising as a Zenith member (or when in a suite), so that you adhere to the standards you present and hold so important.

Seriously...?

Making suggestions to improve the cruiser's experience can be positive. Making suggestions for increasing revenue for Celebrity and cutting services is not positive. While I expect the cruise to make a profit, I am not in favor of price increases and service cuts. I miss the old Celebrity. 1996 was my first Celebrity cruise on the Zenith. Service was fabulous, food was superb, entertainment was excellent, and people did not complain. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to stand in a long line to reserve my deck chair or dining room table. Deck chairs were open. Tables in the MDR were preassigned. That was a huge improvement over my previous cruise experience on the Home Lines. If you arrived at the ship late, your reserved deck chair was in a poor location. The reserved chair was fixed for the entire cruise. It made me furious that the pool deck had lots of unoccupied chairs that I could not sit on. Now, you want to return to the reserved deck chairs. Think again. Home Lines went out of business. Too many changes will drive people away. I have enjoyed unlimited internet and unlimited laundry on other cruise lines. $109 for a week of unlimited same day laundry on Windstar was the best extra that I have ever spent on a cruise.

I've just finished packing for a cruise so I'll keep this short.

My suggestion is to raise cruise prices (they've been SO reasonable for so long) and keep service, food and activity levels up. Cuts drive away loyal cruisers and while low pricing may attract new, younger cruisers in the short term, they aren't going to stick around. Always looking for the next 'deal.'

That's all I have to say on the subject.

Making suggestions to improve the cruiser's experience can be positive. Making suggestions for increasing revenue for Celebrity and cutting services is not positive. While I expect the cruise to make a profit, I am not in favor of price increases and service cuts. I miss the old Celebrity. 1996 was my first Celebrity cruise on the Zenith. Service was fabulous, food was superb, entertainment was excellent, and people did not complain. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to stand in a long line to reserve my deck chair or dining room table. Deck chairs were open. Tables in the MDR were preassigned. That was a huge improvement over my previous cruise experience on the Home Lines. If you arrived at the ship late, your reserved deck chair was in a poor location. The reserved chair was fixed for the entire cruise. It made me furious that the pool deck had lots of unoccupied chairs that I could not sit on. Now, you want to return to the reserved deck chairs. Think again. Home Lines went out of business. Too many changes will drive people away. I have enjoyed unlimited internet and unlimited laundry on other cruise lines. $109 for a week of unlimited same day laundry on Windstar was the best extra that I have ever spent on a cruise.
i think if you look at some of the suggestions, they will enhance the cruising experience, as well as drive additional revenue. It is funny, folks want more, but want cheaper fares and that isn't going to happen. Changes might drive some away, but according CLIA, in 2013 there were 21.7 million passengers who took a cruise and they expect that figure to raise to 24.1 by 2018...in other words, there will be cruisers to take the place of those customers they might lose.

That was a huge improvement over my previous cruise experience on the Home Lines. If you arrived at the ship late, your reserved deck chair was in a poor location. The reserved chair was fixed for the entire cruise. It made me furious that the pool deck had lots of unoccupied chairs that I could not sit on. Now, you want to return to the reserved deck chairs. Think again. Home Lines went out of business..

I'm suggesting reserving a small percentage, perhaps 10% as premium seating, leave the rest as-is. Not at all saying put someone name on every deck chairs. On X ships, there are not enough to go around anyway as there were in the days of smaller ships.