It's gonna happen, so let's suggest our own ideas...

cle-guy

Another thought I have, is set up a "cabin upgrade desk" in the check in area.

Post on it any cabin categories with open cabins, and people can swing by there AFTER doing there normal check in, but before embarking on ship. This will stop the endless lines at guest relations "do you have any open cabins" leaving them to other matters shortening the lines and let people handle it all on shore. I also think it may work better in that many people who wouldn't even think pf upgrading their cabin would see it while standing in line, and go visit it thus broadening the potential cabin upgrade audience.

Of course charge a fee for upgrading, perhaps even post the fees up front and not "dicker" on the prices, kind of like United airlines now does for first class, at the kiosk, it pops us "For $200 you can upgrade to 1st class".

I like this idea!

And perhaps selfishly, I love edocs because we like to travel as much as we can, so sometimes we're not just sitting home waiting for the docs and luggage tags to arrive by snail mail before a cruise. Sometimes we're already away. I have some spiffy little plastic luggage tag holders, and we're all set when the edocs arrive.

.......... Very few people in my social circle (late 30s) will consider a Celebrity cruise as a vacation option. They see cruises as being expensive and view Celebrity as a cruiseline full of old people.
LOL! When we were your age, we also felt that way.

The marketing people at Celebrity are aware of that, and they are trying to appeal to more younger people to expand their passenger base.

However, what happens in reality is that the people in your age group soon reach the "old people" stage themselves (if they are lucky), so if Celebrity doesn't get them now, they get them later.

Those who are the "old people" to you are the very ones who have the most disposable income and also the most time available to cruise.

I would pay extra for a class I was interested in. Not just a demo but a hands on experience. Years ago X had flower arranging classes. Well attended and lots of fun. They were free but I would pay to learn something new. Same goes with cooking or any other hobbies that might be popular.

Yes, things always do change and many of the changes have been great. Up until recently, there have only been additions that could be purchased to enhance your cruise without really affecting what was offered as a basic amenity for everyone.

I'm a very fortunate person in that it's possible for me to afford to do what I like so charging for things wouldn't affect me financially. I'm also one cruise from Celebrity's highest Captain's Club level which will offer some very nice benefits. Paying for a suite is not a problem, paying for specialty restaurants is not a problem and buying packages is not a problem for those who can afford them.

Including upgrades for people who are spending a lot more money to sail in a suite is one thing and perfectly understandable but the problem that I have with some of these suggestions is now we are talking about basic amenities that should be available to everyone. Paying for a cabin or any of the non-visible amenities is one thing, but selling upgrades to what should be public areas for all is another.

The one great thing about modern cruising has been that regardless of your accommodation, most of the ship's amenities are available to everyone. I really detest the idea of making it more difficult for people, who may not be as fortunate, to have the same basic experience as everyone else. That seems to be where we are headed with these kinds of suggestions.

Add hands on cooking classes such as on the new Britannia and Oceania's new ships. I think Oceania's classes are $60 something. Not sure about Britannia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the cruise magazine I'm reading has an article called Culinary Cruising. In addition to Oceana, Holland America has a class running $29. Britannia's is called The Cookery Club.

Thank you for starting this thread!

We will continue to follow along, and will pass on the best suggestions. Don't worry, we won't recommend taking away anything you all enjoy. We're heard rumblings that something in the past [redacted], but you didn't hear it from us. :D

We don't cruise on Celebrity, often in suites, to be nickeled & dimed to death. Just give us a good product with frills at price cruisers are willing to pay. What is that price? I think you'll know when your ships no longer sail full.

Mary Lou

Yes, things always do change and many of the changes have been great. Up until recently, there have only been additions that could be purchased to enhance your cruise without really affecting what was offered as a basic amenity for everyone.

I'm a very fortunate person in that it's possible for me to afford to do what I like so charging for things wouldn't affect me financially. I'm also one cruise from Celebrity's highest Captain's Club level which will offer some very nice benefits. Paying for a suite is not a problem, paying for specialty restaurants is not a problem and buying packages is not a problem for those who can afford them.

Including upgrades for people who are spending a lot more money to sail in a suite is one thing and perfectly understandable but the problem that I have with some of these suggestions is now we are talking about basic amenities that should be available to everyone. Paying for a cabin or any of the non-visible amenities is one thing, but selling upgrades to what should be public areas for all is another.

The one great thing about modern cruising has been that regardless of your accommodation, most of the ship's amenities are available to everyone. I really detest the idea of making it more difficult for people, who may not be as fortunate, to have the same basic experience as everyone else. That seems to be where we are headed with these kinds of suggestions.

Where is the LIKE button? :D

Isn't it their prerogative?

Personally, I fail to see why there is a need for customers to start proposing suggestions to a company on how they should raise revenue, or ways for them to cut costs.

And if X really wants my opinion on the subject they can ask for it directly and privately by email or letter, not on an open forum where the suggestions can become pretty presumptuous.

Isn't it their prerogative?

Personally, I fail to see why there is a need for customers to start proposing suggestions to a company on how they should raise revenue, or ways for them to cut costs.

And if X really wants my opinion on the subject they can ask for it directly and privately by email or letter, not on an open forum where the suggestions can become pretty presumptuous.

I see customers often using public forums like this to bully companies into changing things, keep things the same etc. This isn't Celebrity asking, it's me as a cruiser looking for others ideas on things hoping perhaps X may listen and implement them, as a way to both keep cabin fares down, and increase the value of my shares I hold.

It seems likewise a good place to make suggestions of the inevitable changes that surely may come, hopefully some ideas we come up with are reasonable enough to be considered, and may take the spot of some change corporate may deem appropriate yet the masses may not like.

I'm also one cruise from Celebrity's highest Captain's Club level which will offer some very nice benefits.

Congrats on your impending Zenith status, that's a big achievement for sure.

I'm not sure what basic amenities we have been discussing that are taking anything away from others, especially within the context of modern cruising and among all the lines. Some have noted several lines offer VIP pool seating, no longer mail out luggage tags etc. Any suggestions here that seems as if its removing anything from others, really is just carving out a space, still leaving that balance of space for others to use.

Asking for unlimited laundry adds value to some, asking for a VIP club for faster embarkation and luggage delivery enhances, these aren't removing anything from others. Suggesting a public notice of cabins for upgrades at a fee doesn't take anything away, it allows people to enhance their voyages.

There will always be lines with no such perks, and there will be liens that add the perks, and lines in the middle. People who are truly value conscious, truly don;t belong on X due to the cost of onboard amenities. They belong on another line who include more things or offer less luxury, thats why so many lines exist, to provide a nice for each type of consumer, luxury or value conscious. Sometimes the luxury lines can accommodate both, sometimes not. Its why Carnival has no true premium suites on their ships, but their sister brand Cunard is high end and charges a premium for sailing and has several grandiose choices.

I would add that as Michaels was once a public space, I hope that you would avoid using this now private space when cruising as a Zenith member (or when in a suite), so that you adhere to the standards you present and hold so important.

Edited by cle-guy

Nicely said, Joan. I agree with you.

Garry

I think thatvCelebrity is doing fine in finding ways to increase revenue by cutting some things, & charging, or charging more, for others. The last thing I want to do is add to that.:rolleyes:

DITTO

Sorry but none of the suggestions are appealing to us.

The mailed luggage tags are much sturdier than self printed ones with a better chance of not getting detached . We are NOt looking for a craft project laminating, taping and affixing the tag. The mailed ones are color coded...much better odds at getting prompt delivery of one's bags,. Lost or misguided luggage is not a happy way to begin a cruise! We do not mind printing out salient parts of the cruise docs and contract, but hope Celebrity does not eliminate this service of mailing our tags!

In our opinion, Buckets of Beer would encourage even more drinking to excess as noted recently with the packages and create a frat party, bachanalia atmosphere on board. Seems inconsistent with Modern Luxury

Royal has a reserved section for suites...often empty on a very sunny day. Buying a reserved lounger would require more staff and tie up unused seating....already in short supply. First come first served is best with enforcement of no day long seat saving....

Sorry...none of these makes the cut!

Again, ditto

Has everyone actually taken a look at the latest profits? Cuts a $1 glass of champagne? Stop tags (for those who want them--remember there is the option) With the cuts in the last few years, ridiculous.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I have no problem with more perks being thrown in for people paying a lot more. But I have a real problem with the continued removal of public areas to instead be used only for those who can afford to pay - and often a lot! People say much of the 'pay-to-play' options don't take anything away from the average cruiser, and you aren't forced to buy them so why do you care. Why? I care because more and more real estate that used to be available to all is going away. I am not even a 'sit by the pool' person, but I can't even express how much I hate the idea of paying to reserve a lounge chair. Where does it end for heavens sake?!

I understand but don't like the original premise of this thread. Celebrity doesn't have enough ideas how to squeeze every bit of revenue from us - we need to give them more ideas??? Then they will take the ideas they already had, add these ideas, and we are even further behind than we would have been to begin with. I think it is optimistic in the extreme to think these ideas would be replacements, rather than additions - my opinion. Yikes! I would much rather we talk about what extra value could be added with little to no additional cost to Celebrity.

Maybe the cost of fuel will more than take care of it. Actually, they should be giving us some extras since they must have a windfall in that area.

Large transportation companies like airlines, delivery firms, and cruise lines typically contract for fuel at a set price for a specific length of time. This is called "hedging". http://www.global-riskmanagement.com/en/why-protect/fuel-risk-exposure/hedging-fuel-risk

The purpose is to level out the fluctuations of fuel prices. It is very beneficial when prices continue to go up, but damaging if prices go down. The company is betting that prices will go up and they win by contracting to pay a set amount per gallon, regardless of the amount of the increases.

Much like booking a cruise at a certain price, when prices go up you aren't required to pay the difference of the increase. If prices go down below what you paid for at final payment, you end up paying more than you could have, but are locked in to the price you paid.

Bottom line, if prices go down, it doesn't mean the cruise lines are saving money. They may well be locked into a contracted per gallon price that may be more than the current price if fuel prices have gone down.

In short - they don't a price break, and neither do we.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I happen to like the luggage tags and feel that's something that sets Celebrity apart from the other mainstream cruiselines. I had experience with HAL's flimsy paper ones once. They came off the suitcase and trust me, HAL didn't come looking for me even though my full name and cabin number was in my own luggage tag holder. They apparently couldn't be bothered to look at that. I had to go to guest relations to find out what had happened to my suitcase.

If you don't like the luggage tags or think they're not necessary, don't order them. Then you can save Celebrity money. Personally, that is not a goal of mine.

Large transportation companies like airlines, delivery firms, and cruise lines typically contract for fuel at a set price for a specific length of time. This is called "hedging". http://www.global-riskmanagement.com/en/why-protect/fuel-risk-exposure/hedging-fuel-risk

The purpose is to level out the fluctuations of fuel prices. It is very beneficial when prices continue to go up, but damaging if prices go down. The company is betting that prices will go up and they win by contracting to pay a set amount per gallon, regardless of the amount of the increases.

Much like booking a cruise at a certain price, when prices go up you aren't required to pay the difference of the increase. If prices go down below what you paid for at final payment, you end up paying more than you could have, but are locked in to the price you paid.

Bottom line, if prices go down, it doesn't mean the cruise lines are saving money. They may well be locked into a contracted per gallon price that may be more than the current price if fuel prices have gone down.

In short - they don't a price break, and neither do we.

I would also add that even though it is stated in their cruise contract that if oil goes over a certain $$ amount they can add a fuel surcharge, Celebrity never did that when prices sky-rocketed.

Edited by phoenix_dream

We fly Delta almost exclusively - Dh is Diamond. We are pretty loyal customers when we think we are getting a good product. I started sailing on Carnival (with a teenager) - and moved to Celebrity (with girl friends, finally with dh). We have moved from standard balcony, to Concierge, to a Sky 1 and the next two cruises are booked in Celebrity suites. We are newly retired at an age (57 & 61) and hopefully have many cruise years ahead of us.

I have no interest in any "additional pay" experiences on Celebrity. If we want access to Michael's, will book a higher end suite. If we just want only the suite dining room a Sky will do, both already coming with reserved theater seating, priority tender, etc and a hefty price tag. Some day we may go back to a standard balcony. If I want to purchase "perks" I can sail with Carnival - which for $50.00 you basically can buy express boarding, luggage delivery, priority tendering, etc. Let me tell you - those that had earned those perks in their frequent cruiser programs were not thrilled with the concept.

I like Celebrity for what I perceive it to be - a main line - more adult, romantic experience. When that changes - then I'll be ready to move on to a higher end line.

Edited by Jane2357

Another thought I have, is set up a "cabin upgrade desk" in the check in area.

Post on it any cabin categories with open cabins, and people can swing by there AFTER doing there normal check in, but before embarking on ship. This will stop the endless lines at guest relations "do you have any open cabins" leaving them to other matters shortening the lines and let people handle it all on shore. I also think it may work better in that many people who wouldn't even think pf upgrading their cabin would see it while standing in line, and go visit it thus broadening the potential cabin upgrade audience.

Of course charge a fee for upgrading, perhaps even post the fees up front and not "dicker" on the prices, kind of like United airlines now does for first class, at the kiosk, it pops us "For $200 you can upgrade to 1st class".

This exists at virtually every port where we have sailed from. It is called the "Port Coordinator". We've had success upgrading if cabins are available (which is rare on any popular cruise) and no success. They handle all the paperwork and financial charges.

Edited by ECCruise

Concerning luggage tags, I totally agree with Curt. I always fly in the day before a cruise and simply borrow the stapler at hotel check-out to attach the luggage tags I'd printed at home.

And if I were to forget, not a problem getting one from porters at drop off. I always tip them anyway, might as well get my money's worth. ;):)

I have the plastic luggage tag holders and they work great. Just print out my luggage tags, fold them, slip them into the holders and put them on my bags. I could care less anymore about getting tags mailed. I am so used to Royal and Princess having just the paper ones, that it makes no difference to me anymore

After paying 4 or 5 grand on a cruise, is there anyone who wants to lay out more money for a lounger at the pool and other basic things traditionally included in the fare,

as some said above, not our role to figure out how cruiseline can make more money,,,,,maybe a better topic for shareholdrs than cruisers..(i guess some fall into both categories!)

We will soon be headed to our Connie cruise with our pre ordered, mailed to us, sturdy boarding passes.!

IF they need to increase profits and cut costs, stop bombarding me with solicitation mail! the last two cabins we had were a CS and RS...we were bombarded with a ton of mail several times a day...come spend money at the shops, professional photography packages, art auctions and on and on and on...:rolleyes: It was annoying.

if they feel the need to bombard me with literature, at least have a recycling bin so we can dump it there. made me feel bad for dumping in the trash. :(

Edited by H2OH!

I would also add that even though it is stated in their cruise contract that if oil goes over a certain $$ amount they can add a fuel surcharge, Celebrity never did that when prices sky-rocketed.

Actually, they did... sort of...:)

On our 2009 TA the surcharge was added to our invoice, long after we had booked. A couple of months before the cruise, Celebrity decided to remove it... I think partially due to a real uproar of complaints... (it wasn't in place when we booked)

ever since then the warning has been left in place.

This exists at virtually every port where we have sailed from. It is called the "Port Coordinator". We've had success upgrading if cabins are available (which is rare on any popular cruise) and no success. They handle all the paperwork and financial charges.

This needs to be more heavily advertised then, and signed, so the masses know it not just the "insiders". 9 cruises, I never knew....