It's gonna happen, so let's suggest our own ideas...

cle-guy

Point of luggage tags is, you don't need to do ANY of that. Just get one from the porter at the pier. No hassle at all, no extra work, in fact work saved.

That's why I don't understand the unrealistic outrage at having to do arts and crafts....you don't have to, you don't need to arrive with a luggage tag in hand at all. If your bag has your full name on it, and a tag comes loose, it will find its way to you, likely without much of a delay even. They would likely radio to someone ask for cabin number then reaffix a tag to the bag.

Have you ever been to the area where all the de tagged bags are piled up...dh has gone to look for undelivered bags a few times and found that area...what a clustermuck!

We put our names etc inside our bags but hope it never comes to having our tags come loose,....also not looking to fill out tags on the side of the road when they take the bags!

I am nothing but a number to Miami but so are you."

Hi there,

This is far from the truth. Please do not think that we don't value you, and every guest that steps on our ship. We would not be in business if we had this mentality, and we want every guest to have the best vacation possible.

Suggestions to what =X= can do to enhance profits:

Offer the kind of experience in which they excelled (but do not any longer), viz top notch service at a reasonable price which differentiated them from other mass-market cruise lines. White glove service in the MDR. Eye popping presentation of food. Finding pax a seat and delivering their food to them in the Oceanview Cafe. Adequate staff levels in all departments. Customer focused attention to detail (rather than the current short-term profit focus).

I honestly believe that if those who have only started sailing Celebrity in, say the last five years, saw the way things were 10 years ago they would be shell shocked. They tout Celebrity as being so far above other cruise lines when, in fact, they are barely a shadow of their former selves. Still consider it our "go to" cruise line, but whereas the vast majority of our future booked cruises were usually with Celebrity, they can only can claim 4 of the 11 we have booked. And if the prices keep escalating (and they are, a lot) and service keeps declining, that ratio will continue to be adjusted down.

And honestly, I feel bad about that. But as one long-term Celebrity employee confided in me, and I quote, "remember, I am nothing but a number to Miami but so are you." Maybe I have an odd business sense, but I never saw my customers as a "number" and bristle at the thought of being thought of as one. But then my business philosophy (and Celebrity's past one, unfortunately) is rather passe in BusinessUSA2015: Deliver a top quality product at a reasonable price, excel over your competition by what you offer and how you offer it, and back it all with quality customer service. Do that and long-term profitability will be assured.

I agree with this 100%. I'm afraid some of the recent "profitability" is only short term and may do some harm to the long term stability of Celebrity Cruise Lines. I could sit back and say it doesn't matter to me personally because I know my treatment will always be great but as much as I have always loved the brand I do have concerns about the future.

Thanks Curt for starting this thread, it is great to hear other's ideas.

I agree with you on the luggage tags. If someone has to have them, then charge them. It is so easy to print them off. I've laminated them before and it worked like a charm.

Someone suggested bringing back the olden days, with white gloved service. I am not in favor. I enjoyed it on during my first cruises on Celebrity and found it pretty pretentious, as far as the white gloved service. Celebrity is not a luxury line, like Crystal, who I don't remember white gloves, and I think it would just be a waste to bring it back. If folks want more staff, to find them seats in the OceanView cafe, then everyone should be prepared to pay more for their cruises, because adding staff is going to cost Celebrity more money, which means we will pay for it.

I would like to see an all-inclusive package (truly all-inclusive). That way the cruisers would want and do everything can be accommodated. An ala cart package would be great as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thank you for starting this thread!

We will continue to follow along, and will pass on the best suggestions. Don't worry, we won't recommend taking away anything you all enjoy. We're heard rumblings that something in the past [redacted], but you didn't hear it from us. :D

Sorry, but we think this thread and your praise of it is is unfortunate..

Why should we suggest ways to transform Celebrity into "no frills "product when we have booked something we hope is so much better than no frills and for our next 4 booked cruises on X are paying much more than a no frills price.

How about asking for ways to UPGRADE the product without breaking the bank!

Encourage EXCEEDING EXPECTATIONS not Downgrading them.

Arno - A paper tag gives you security? Do you not already have your own luggage tag on your suitcase? Airlines and even Amtrack require one.

Lots easier to simply give my e docs to the porter and have them put a tag on.

I started a thread along the same line back in May http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034716

I agree, they need to find other ways to make money and if we suggest ways that are acceptable to us, maybe the changes won't be as painful.

I'd like to see Celebrity offer the option to book cabins as either all inclusive or not. Of course the all inclusive would cost more. There's clearly a desire for all inclusive but a person that doesn't want it shouldn't have to pay for it.

I would like a website that works. We chose to book many of our tours privately rather than use Celebrity. It was just too much of a hassle......The Baltic cruise in May will be my first Celebrity cruise. So far I am not impressed just because of the website.

So we know the reality of today's business world is profits matter. This means raising revenues and cutting costs to remain competitive.

So instead of complaining about what has been cut or what has increased in price, I thought let's approach this from an informed consumer standpoint, and make suggestions ourselves as to what Celebrity can do to enhance revenues and profits, instead of just letting them determine it.

One thing that comes to my mind, is Luggage Tags. If people want them, charge a $20 fee to mail them out, and in that include a coupon booklet to entice spending on board to help make up for the cost. No one NEEDS mailed luggage tags, they can print the one in E-DOcs, or simply have a porter affix one. So this truly wouldn't cost most consumers a dime, but for those who want the special service. Luggage tags seem to be a real nuisance, as they aren't available to all countries, the link often doesn't work leading to calls to Captain's club taking staff time, they look to be printed on a relatively expensive material and most postage.

Another is let people with a Beverage package get a discount on buckets of beer, make it same as the wine bottle discount. The bottle of wine can be bought and shared at discount, let the buckets of beer be bought and shared, at discount.

Add a "reserved" section at the pool deck, letting people pay for the privilege of reserving deck chairs for long periods of time. Actually charge for the service. Include wait staff/butlering as part of it.

If I want to pay for reserved chairs - I will sail with Princess.

If I want not to have luggage tags mailed - I will sail with Royal Caribbean.

I don't drink, so I already paying for the beverage perks in my cruise fare.

What will be next - a charge for food? It might be coming...........Maybe people will stop wasting food.

Hi there,

This is far from the truth. Please do not think that we don't value you, and every guest that steps on our ship. We would not be in business if we had this mentality, and we want every guest to have the best vacation possible.

it all candor, since you are quoting my comment, it is not, unfortunately how you (as a Corporation) perceive what my value is, it is what I perceive what my value to you is. And, like I said in the rest of my comment, I am concerned by--and I guess a little saddened by--the constant focus on revenue generation as opposed to experience generation. And that focus DOES make you feel like a number. Have we stopped sailing Celebrity? No, but at a reduced level. And as long as you can keep generating newbie sailors, the line will be fine. But if that falters...

Edited by ECCruise

This is not a big deal to print out your own luggage tags. This has been in effect for years on other cruise lines and it works. You really don't need to buy anything. Just print them out, fold them per directions and staple or tape. If you want the plastic holder they are a one time buy at WalMart and very cheap.

If you make it an arts-n-craft project, that is up to you. LOL

Here's the problem with this, our cruises usually start after some lengthy pre cruise travel, & I would have no way to make shift a way to attach tags to my luggage before I take the train to port... I pay a pretty penny for my cruise, & there's no way I'm shlepping homemade tags across Europe for our pre cruise trips.

Also, it's been raining every time I've embarked... & it's a usually a bit of a walk from the train station to the port shuttles. The tags they mail out stand up to the rain.

On Holland America we had to print out tags. By the time we were checking in they had literally disintegrated into mush.

I still miss the old hard copy document booklet X used to send out...remember the document dance days? :) Please don't take away the luggage tag dance too :)

I would do a cost analysis on the specialty restaurants. They never seem very full and they are often steeply discounted.

Personally, at the price of $45 or 50 per person, they are way to expensive. Other cruise lines are charging $25 - 35. The Specialty Restaurants (SR) are not the quality there were when they first come out.

In fact, you already paid for the MDR or Blu, so why are the SRs so expensive?

I saw an interview with the CEO of Royal Caribbean on CNBC a few moths ago. He set a goal of increasing revenue and revenue per passenger by 15% per year while maintaining or increasing margins ( profitability ).

The margins are highest in the higher end categories, hence the efforts with Aqua Class and now the Suite class.

They seem to be able to raise prices and fill ships, so they're doing something right. My suggestions would be :

Make the Suite restaurant a true game changer and a real attraction for the $800-$1000 per night per cabin customer.

Offer better wines by the glass, especially at the bars. Maybe a wine by the glass package as Curt suggested. The machines in Cellar masters are a dismal failure.

I agree with the idea of a paid, pool reserve chair area with umbrella/ cover options.

The same with Oceanview. I know many travelers that are disgusted with the lunch buffet and The Lord of the Flies atmosphere. Offer a paid reserved area where one can get a table, and eat in a semi civilized fashion.

While on that subject, BAN all game playing in Oceanview between noon and 3 PM . It's rude and contributes to the lack of tables for lunch clientele.

Have a paid, really high end specialty restaurant with an adventurous menu, nightly specials, ala minute cooking, Prime steaks , home made pasta etc.

there is a clientele that will pay for a better more exclusive dining experience, and the margins are great.

Forgot to add:

my revenue ideas:

Offer a laundry package like HAL, unlimited laundry for $7 a day if you pre book & $9 a day if you buy it onboard.... you have to buy it for your entire cruise.

My other revenue idea is sure to be a hit with everyone :D

Charge double for everyone under age 17, & triple for those under 12 :D

I'm sure Celebrity can figure ways to increase revenue, like removing the drink packages from the price , but lowering the price half the drink package price.(coming soon enough). But charging $5 a ride in the elevator would be revenue enhancement of the finest type. Oops, that would increase food consumption. Put that idea in the Emily Litella file.

Another thought I have, is set up a "cabin upgrade desk" in the check in area.

Post on it any cabin categories with open cabins, and people can swing by there AFTER doing there normal check in, but before embarking on ship. This will stop the endless lines at guest relations "do you have any open cabins" leaving them to other matters shortening the lines and let people handle it all on shore. I also think it may work better in that many people who wouldn't even think pf upgrading their cabin would see it while standing in line, and go visit it thus broadening the potential cabin upgrade audience.

Of course charge a fee for upgrading, perhaps even post the fees up front and not "dicker" on the prices, kind of like United airlines now does for first class, at the kiosk, it pops us "For $200 you can upgrade to 1st class".

Great idea for a thread, Curt!

...and really like your ideas, especially about reserving loungers on pool deck.

Can you say 'Alcoves':) tho not on the pool deck, those that use em love em, those that dont flame the heck outta us that do.

It would be the same with loungers by the pool.

Now to go back and read the rest of the thread!:D

I'm sure Celebrity can figure ways to increase revenue, like removing the drink packages from the price , but lowering the price half the drink package price.(coming soon enough). But charging $5 a ride in the elevator would be revenue enhancement of the finest type. Oops, that would increase food consumption. Put that idea in the Emily Litella file.

Do you mean "Never mind"?

Can you say 'Alcoves':) tho not on the pool deck, those that use em love em, those that dont flame the heck outta us that do.

It would be the same with loungers by the pool.

Problem is only, 2 ships (maybe it's 3?) have them (alcoves).

I'm thinking more like $10 or $20 per chair per day rental fee type of thing, not $150 a day fee.

Kind of like Economy Plus pricing on airlines. Basically the same thing everyone else gets, but just a LITTLE something extra.

Problem is only, 2 ships (maybe it's 3?) have them (alcoves).

I'm thinking more like $10 or $20 per chair per day rental fee type of thing, not $150 a day fee.

Kind of like Economy Plus pricing on airlines. Basically the same thing everyone else gets, but just a LITTLE something extra.

i would make them around the pool, as those are usually the ones the chair hogs go after first.

Ok, I have read threw the fun an frockling, and the X rep must be getting a real good laught at us here Cruise Critic people. One can only imagine the sharing going on around the water cooler in the office.

Reminds me of when I was in grade school and complained about walking to school, only to be told by the parents about how they had to walk 2 miles in conditions that the mail man would not try to deliver in.

OK, the point being, things are going to change, period. We dont ride horses no more to get somewhere. In 2011 we sailed RCCL, 2012 Princess, 2013 Reflection, 2014 Equinox. The product currently presented by Celebrity, tho not what we had on the Horizon, Zenith, or Century in the 1990'ties, is hands down better than the other lines we have sailed for the dollar we have to pay.

So yes, we are booked yet again for another Celebrity cruise this year.

EW