Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

I seem to remember someone mentioning that Ovation was booked into an Asian port sometime in the spring. Could she make her way to Alaska this way as opposed to through the canal?

I do not want to raise speculation, but they have not booked Vision or Jewel out of the MED yet.

If these bookings hold.

The current last sailing for Jewel is currently showing in September with no movement out showing yet.

Vision was re-deployed to the MED as well just 2 months ago or so with the sale of Splendour.

With Rhapsody going to PC, I had thought they could keep South America and Dubai with Vision and Jewel, except for the fact Jewel is supposed to be in San Juan.

Peak RCI deployment in Europe was 9 ships in 2008.

They currently have Serenade booked at CPH, Navigator and Indy at Southampton, Brilliance at BCN, Harmony at BCN, Vision at Venice and Rhapsody at Rome. With the addition of Jewel they would be at 8 ships again. They seem to have currently pulled out from Harwich.

It is unclear where Ovation will head. I would actually like to see her make her way to the west coast and Alaska if possible though.

The changes all happened within the past 5 hours at the various European port schedules. It is a re-deployment.

Which doesn't mean that another ship couldn't take her place. Don't dash my hopes completely just yet, please.

The word you really wanted to use was 'pissed'. Me too. This news (if true) has already put a damper on my day. My comment above regarding Sicily would be the only saving grace if Jewel or Vision did it. Vision has been sort of a wild card for the last couple of years. Regarding Ovation, DW would get on a Quantum class ship ONLY if it sailed out of the west coast. Based on past practice of the line, I'll end up disappointed, and end up on Azamara or Oceania.

LOL, too true. When I look at cabin availability on this fall's Jewel itineraries, she looks pretty full to me, especially at the JS and up level, so I'm not sure what RCI wants from us.

This is depressing....except if they offer a longer cruise that will actually stop in Sicily more than once during the season.

The word you really wanted to use was 'pissed'. Me too. This news (if true) has already put a damper on my day. My comment above regarding Sicily would be the only saving grace if Jewel or Vision did it. Vision has been sort of a wild card for the last couple of years. Regarding Ovation, DW would get on a Quantum class ship ONLY if it sailed out of the west coast. Based on past practice of the line, I'll end up disappointed, and end up on Azamara or Oceania.

These bookings are fresh and just made today and took me a bit by surprise. I knew they had a problem if they were to keep both Dubai and Brazil and think that Ovation somehow fits into this shift.

I certainly hope there is a good west coast option soon.

Happy that Brilliance may be in the Med again - we sailed the Greek Isles itinerary on her back in 2008 and it would be great to go back and do the Venice one.

But ... I've been looking at the European port listings and see that ... Dublin Port and Geiranger Port both have Brilliance listed for this summer? Looking closer at Geiranger ... Brilliance appears in the 'notes' column, unlike Serenade which is listed with confirmed dates so it may only have been pencilled in. Dublin looks confirmed though?

Edited by livylotte

We still don't know when the Rhapsody will be heading to PC, correct?

The Jewel deployment today was the first movement that might signal changes in Rhapsody deployment. The fact the TA from Brazil to Barcelona is still open for sale does not indicate yet they are pulling Rhapsody from Europe.

They may change this still.

About the time Vision was deployed to Venice and probably when the sale of Splendour was decided, the Rhapsody return TA sailing was moved to an earlier date. This booking still stands on the 12th of November at Funchal and she continues on to Tenerife.

If this holds she could arrive at PC after the 20th of November.

Happy that Brilliance may be in the Med again - we sailed the Greek Isles itinerary on her back in 2008 and it would be great to go back and do the Venice one.

I've been looking at the European port listings and see that ... Dublin Port and Geiranger Port both have Brilliance listed for this summer? Looking closer at Geiranger ... Brilliance appears in the 'notes' column, unlike Serenade which is listed with a confirmed date so it may only have been pencilled in. Dublin looks confirmed though?

Yes. Brilliance has been booked all over northern Europe at the same time she was booked for MED deployment, which was odd.

If you go over to the side on the Geiranger booking the notes state:

21.08 Brilliance cxl 18.11.14

That means Brilliance was booked for Aug. 21, but was cancelled on November 18, 2014.

First, let me just say that I don't track the itineraries as closely as most people on here.

That said, I feel like the time in ports and the number of ports seem to have decreased.

It may also just be me, but the new itineraries are not that exciting.

I'm looking forward to seeing where Harmony will be calling.

These bookings are fresh and just made today and took me a bit by surprise. I knew they had a problem if they were to keep both Dubai and Brazil and think that Ovation somehow fits into this shift.

I've been out most of the night. Just trying to catch up.

Will Ovation fit through the Panama Canal??

Hope it does as that's what I'm waiting on to book

So that makes Ovation a possiblity in Alaska. Interesting.

Since Ovation cannot transit the current canal, an Alaska deployment would probably imply an Australia or Asia deployment too.

Sorry Bob. Didn't see your post.

What do we think will do the Panama then???

I read in a roll call that the new passage was meant to be ready this year, but no way it will be. Probably not next year either.

Maybe they thought it would be by sending Ovation and might have to rethink

The Jewel of the Seas has just been booked today from May 2016 in Europe.

So far she is found entering the MED on the 10th of May, 2016 at Gibraltar.

She sails to Barcelona and then on to Palma on the 14th of May. She is at Messina Sicily on the 16th of May. Kotor on the 17th and Dubrovnik on the 18th and then on to Split.

She also appears on the Dubrovnik port schedule and replaces not only calls there from May for Rhapsody, but also has calls monthly at Dubrovnik through September.

She may do long cruises from Venice or some sort of sailing with a Venice home port only at embarkation or disembarkation and alternating with another MED port.

Vision, Rhapsody and Brilliance are currently still holding MED bookings, except for Rhapsody being pulled out of Venice and Dubrovnik.

Maybe Jewel will go back to Harwich which it has done before or will take the Brilliance places in the Med

Yes. Brilliance has been booked all over northern Europe at the same time she was booked for MED deployment, which was odd.

If you go over to the side on the Geiranger booking the notes state:

21.08 Brilliance cxl 18.11.14

That means Brilliance was booked for Aug. 21, but was cancelled on November 18, 2014.

Ah... I see! Thanks MADflyer. I guess we will all know soon enough!

I don't like the big ships and Brilliance is our favourite ship so I am interested to find out what they are doing with her.

I think they will exit the South American market because the Brazilian Real has fallen almost 50% against the US dollar. Most of Royal's costs are in US dollars and I can't see them accepting a lower yield nor can I see their South American customers ponying up the difference. Like Fain said, they will send the ships where there are most dollars to be made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they will exit the South American market because the Brazilian Real has fallen almost 50% against the US dollar. Most of Royal's costs are in US dollars and I can't see them accepting a lower yield nor can I see their South American customers ponying up the difference. Like Fain said, they will send the ships where there are most dollars to be made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was sure looking like pulling out of Harwich and Brazil was eminent. Early port bookings indicate that they did not strategically plan to do so as they were holding space for both, but that is one advantage they gain by waiting until closer in to release actual deployments.

I've been out most of the night. Just trying to catch up.

Will Ovation fit through the Panama Canal??

Hope it does as that's what I'm waiting on to book

Until the new locks open the largest ships of Royal that will fit are the Radiance class (that's why they are referred to as Panamax. The real question is when will the new locks open. It keeps getting pushed back.

Until the new locks open the largest ships of Royal that will fit are the Radiance class (that's why they are referred to as Panamax. The real question is when will the new locks open. It keeps getting pushed back.

Thanks for the info. I thought that but wasn't sure.

Just wondering if they send Ovation, will it be a 'round the horn' trip.

I see we are on the same 9/26 cruise??

I think it was the Vancouver to LA roll call I read the info on. I had to cancel that cruise due to the pvsa rulling.

Edited by bigeck

My head is spinning over all of this..when are the European sailings open for booking?

Which ship is better, Jewel or Vision?

Both are great. Vision refurbishment was in October 2013 and Jewel will be out of dry dock and refurbished in May 2016, just prior to this deployment, I believe.

While the Vision schedule looks like 7 night sailings, the Jewel will offer some form of longer cruises. It looks like the both are on variable schedules allowing for B2B sailing.

Europe should be open March 16th. This deployment was a surprise today as they are so close in.

Another important question is whether any of Royal's post Panamax ships will fit under the Bridge of the Americas.

Had a few visits in Panama in 2014 and my contacts said the new government was really making progress. Panama City finished it's first subway line in record time and it was offered free of charge on my last visit.

The project website is showing 86% current completion. The Pacific and Atlantic 'dredging' is 100% completed, Gatun Lake and Culebra dredging is at 93% complete, the hold up is the design and construction of the third set of locks which is only 83% complete and the Pacific access channel is only is only 86% complete.

About 1.5% is competed each month now, so an April 2016 date would be the earliest target for completion for operation with the locks due to be delivered in January of 2016 in the latest report.

Another important question is whether any of Royal's post Panamax ships will fit under the Bridge of the Americas.

I have no idea then as the Bridge of the Americas has a clearance under the main span is 61.3 m (201 ft) at high tide.

They had stated it could fit under the Golden Gate Bridge which has a clearance of 220 ft (67.1 m)

Edited by MADflyer

I have no idea then as the Bridge of the Americas has a clearance under the main span is 61.3 m (201 ft) at high tide.

They had stated it could fit under the Golden Gate Bridge which has a clearance of 220 ft (67.1 m)

Clearance under the BOA can go as high as 205' depending on the height of the tide, so OK for the Quantum and Anthem. Voyager/Freedom have 208' air draft, while that is outside of the present limitations, I think it is close enough that they may be able to make adjustments to a ship that they wanted to transit the Canal to bring it closer to their requirements. The Canal is normally very accommodating granting exceptions to policies when it comes to "delivery" transits. Usually they will allow several "delivery" transits before they require the vessel to comply with the limitations.

Clearance under the BOA can go as high as 205' depending on the height of the tide, so OK for the Quantum and Anthem. Voyager/Freedom have 208' air draft, while that is outside of the present limitations, I think it is close enough that they may be able to make adjustments to a ship that they wanted to transit the Canal to bring it closer to their requirements. The Canal is normally very accommodating granting exceptions to policies when it comes to "delivery" transits. Usually they will allow several "delivery" transits before they require the vessel to comply with the limitations.

Thanks for the information. That seems like good news.