Are all river cuisers so snobby?

Clay74

I am going on my first cruise this fall. I booked a trip on the Danube that cost quite a bit of money. I have been reading posts on this site for the last couple of months and I am surprised at the amount of posts about how (I am going to group you all as you) you all just don't like tourists..

As we are all on a tour of a European river and most likely do not reside in Europe, I think that everyone on the boat qualifies as a tourist.

As far as how people dress...I have paid for a full package of walking tours, I will dress for a full day out (comfortable shoes shorts and tee), as well as have my camera gear and a pack. I honestly can't understand how an American can walk around Europe without a lot of camera gear.

I have another 10 days to explore Europe after the cruise, but I hope that the first eight aren't made miserable by a bunch of stuffy old people that judge people by their clothing.

I am going on my first cruise this fall. I booked a trip on the Danube that cost quite a bit of money. I have been reading posts on this site for the last couple of months and I am surprised at the amount of posts about how (I am going to group you all as you) you all just don't like tourists..

As we are all on a tour of a European river and most likely do not reside in Europe, I think that everyone on the boat qualifies as a tourist.

As far as how people dress...I have paid for a full package of walking tours, I will dress for a full day out (comfortable shoes shorts and tee), as well as have my camera gear and a pack. I honestly can't understand how an American can walk around Europe without a lot of camera gear.

I have another 10 days to explore Europe after the cruise, but I hope that the first eight aren't made miserable by a bunch of stuffy old people that judge people by their clothing.

I can't figure out if you are looking for any sort of response or are just trying to stir up an argument with your post.

I carry a tiny camera in my pocket, if I take one at all. I like to experience the moment and not worry about photographing it for the future.

I dress nicely to explore cities and towns and have never found comfort and fashion to be mutually exclusive.

In terms of tourists, we avoid the busiest times as that is our personal preference.

I hope you go on your trip with a better attitude than you are displaying in your post. You are the one coming across as judgmental.

I lived in Germany for four years and can tell you that the European natives can spot an American tourist a mile away.

What gives us away? Yes, the camera hanging around our necks. Also, guidebook and for men baseball hat and/or tennis shoes.

After living in Germany a while, I had some nice think Norwegian sweaters and sometimes would find Germans coming up to me asking for directions. They mistook me for a Germany. I didn't have a camera or guidebook and was wearing hard soled shoes.

When we go anyone in the World on tour, we don't try to avoid the local perception that we are tourists. Why should we?

We always dress for comfort, but try not to dress like slobs. Just go and enjoy yourself.

Not sure I can agree with the OP generalization. We had a very wide range of demographics on our last River cruise from cleaners to philosophy professors. What most travellers do not like are the large crowds and sometime those groups are not the best mannered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly can't understand how an American can walk around Europe without a lot of camera gear.

You'd be amazed but many can, and do, walk around on holiday without looking like they won a trolley-dash in Best-Buy :)

I imagine that everyone else is equally hoping that their cruise isn't spoiled by someone assuming that age has anything to do with their interactions with fellow cruisers.

Go on this trip with the mindset that you are going to enjoy yourself, wind down the judgmental assumptions and it is just possible that you will actually have a great time meeting lots of people of all ages and backgrounds, that you would probably never meet any other way.

If you go with the firm belief that everyone else is a 'snob' then you may never get the chance to find out how wrong you are.

Go on Avalon. Least group of snobby people you will meet. Successful yes because RCs are expensive. We've met farmers from Iowa, Truckers from Canada, Geologists from NEw Zealand, A sheep farmer from Australia, to name just a few of the variety of folks.

Clay74, realize a very small percentage of river cruisers on this board. And a very small percentage may well be snobs. However, we've always met wonderful people on our cruises. For some reason we tend to gravitate towards retired school teachers or educators (not intentionally, they're just who we end up sitting with at dinner). I find I tend to approach people who seem open and easy to talk to.

The majority of the people on the ship will be very easy to approach because unless you arrived with a built-in group, most of us would like to meet others. That's part of what I find attractive about the cruise experience... it's the people I meet as a bonus to all the great places I get to visit.

I agree, when you're following a tour guide with a sign indicating your ship & group... no one's going to mistake you for a native. We've had people on our cruise who dressed just as you plan to... it will be August and it will probably be warm or hot. If you're the only one dressed that casually, you'll probably have others be jealous because their wives wouldn't allow them to pack t-shirts (I am presuming you are male).

At one point there were discussion about who are these people who model in the catalogs and websites as the passengers... because the people on our ship never quite looked like them.

If you go on board looking for snobs... you will find them. But if you go on board looking for people with interesting lives and a love of travel you will also find them. I'd rather look for the latter.

Dear Clay, sounds like somebody fell out of bed on the wrong side this morning! :D

I think you will find the people on your river cruise to be very friendly and open to new experiences just like you are and they will respond to YOU the way YOU respond to them. You lump all of us into a group of snobs...and that is just as unfair as being lumped into a group of "old people who can't walk fast". I too have lived in Europe and while I was in London, people spotted me as a "Yank" from a mile away, it's just the way we talk, dress and act that tips them off.

As for camera gear, I'm with Caviargal...I have a small digital camera that takes wonderful pictures and fits in my pocket.....but I enjoy looking at the sights in real time and not spending all my time looking for lighting or camera angles...but that's me and you're you so shoot away and please don't block my view while you're shooting.

As for dress I have to say that I have seen too many Americans dressed like slobs! If you're in a world class city you don't need to be dressed like a fashion plate, but leave the muscle shirts and tee shirt with the snarky remarks home! You know the ones I mean.

chill out and try not to make so many assumptions about people you haven't met yet. You'll have a much better time.

I think you may be misinterpreting posts about people wanting to have an authentic experience, much like the residents of the small towns we visit, to posts about people not liking tourists. This discussion board draws out people that research trips years in advance and know what to do when they have a couple hours of free time. The majority of the people on our Uniworld trip followed the schedule and went where they were told with their camera. We often peeled off on our own during/after tours, and that made us different than anyone else.

We didn't wear jeans to dinner, and we dressed up for the two gala dinners (although my husband didn't bring a jacket). We were surrounded by opulence and wanted to maximize that experience. We had those clothes in our closet, so we packed them.

If that means snobbishness, that's a matter of interpretation. Although I think it's fairly objective to say we are not stuffy old people.

I think some posters in these threads do come off as snobbish. They may not mean to but many of their comments reflect this.

As an earlier poster stated ... most river cruise travelers have never heard of CC so don't let these comments affect your decision.

I've now been on 14 river cruises (with two more planned for 2016) and there are the occasional fellow travelers who think they know more and are better than you but these are few and easy to keep away from.

Edited by rogerdawhip

There have been a couple of times when I've encouraged people to cruise in May or Sept-Oct and have said that it is a good time to go because the "tourists aren't there."

I hoped that it came off as amusing or ironic considering I am obviously a tourist and am encouraging other tourists to visit!!!

We walk around all the time with big honking cameras around our necks and wearing white sneakers and figure when people see us coming they know we are tourists bringing our wallets (but with no attitude!!)

Just go and don't worry about other people think...life is too short!!!

Btw....your pix will be awesome since river cruising is a great way to see smaller towns, gardens, old beautiful walls, water fowl...etc.

Enjoy!!!

I am not sure why anyone is trying to justify an answer to this guy. He clearly only wants to stir up something, please notice this is only his second post.

Clay - How about posting some useful information, or a valid question? Otherwise, do us all a favor and keep your snarky comments to yourself. Thanks

They won't judge you by your clothes but maybe by your attitude

Exactly and wondering exactly what point the OP is attempting to make??? On the board we are all tourist and are trying to help each other.

I can't speak for the posters on the other boards of Cruise Critic. On this board you will find incredible CC members offering invaluable information!

I am not sure why anyone is trying to justify an answer to this guy. He clearly only wants to stir up something, please notice this is only his second post.

Clay - How about posting some useful information, or a valid question? Otherwise, do us all a favor and keep your snarky comments to yourself. Thanks

EXACTLY….well said

Thinking WE must be the Stuffy Old people :D

Maybe, but I'm not changing!!! I do find it interesting that OP has not commented again. Perhaps pp was right and he just wanted to stir up trouble. I sure hope that wasn't the real Carl because if it was not only HE, but everyone around him will have a miserable cruise.

I can't figure out if you are looking for any sort of response or are just trying to stir up an argument with your post.

I carry a tiny camera in my pocket, if I take one at all. I like to experience the moment and not worry about photographing it for the future.

I dress nicely to explore cities and towns and have never found comfort and fashion to be mutually exclusive.

In terms of tourists, we avoid the busiest times as that is our personal preference.

I hope you go on your trip with a better attitude than you are displaying in your post. You are the one coming across as judgmental.

+1 I agree 100% that the OP has described the " tourist." No shorts allowed in many places...and the rest is a dead give away!!

what a bizarre post. if the person is so fearful of mixing with snobs, not sure what that term means really, why book?

strange indeed. plus not sure about anyone else but these days people travelling do not seem to get around with a lot of large camera equipment?

each to their own. we have found people who travel are usually a delight to mix with, age is irrelevant. attitude is more important.

wonder if they meant pretentious? who cares anyway? enjoy the cruise.

Okay, snobbish, stuffy and old with that preconception our fishing cameraman will certainly have an eye-opener. There just maybe another thought his first post has had no replies which is a surprise as he is traveling on Viking which due to their number of vessals do seem to have more posts than most. I do hope he enjoys his cruise. By the way I take two cameras and differnt lenses for the SLR but the Chinese and Japenese beat all of us in the camera department. All power to us camera toting touristy types may be one of us will get that world beating shot (in my dreams) and the rest of us can say I've been there!

Happy cruising and shootin(camera wise that is) CA📷

canal archive;

we also carry lots of photo gear (including back up batteries) with us!

That said, we have a big box store enlarge our "best" photos to 20x30, buy cheap frames (and spray paint them silver because I don't like black) and hang them up!

When I walk into the room or turn a corner and see the photo I'm reminded of where I was and get to live that portion of our trip all over again!!

I always say, other people have fine art on their walls; I have Sam's Club & Michael's and amateur photos!!!

canal archive;

we also carry lots of photo gear (including back up batteries) with us!

That said, we have a big box store enlarge our "best" photos to 20x30, buy cheap frames (and spray paint them silver because I don't like black) and hang them up!

When I walk into the room or turn a corner and see the photo I'm reminded of where I was and get to live that portion of our trip all over again!!

I always say, other people have fine art on their walls; I have Sam's Club & Michael's and amateur photos!!!

I thought I was the only one who did that :D I take the best 200 of my pictures have them printed in 4x6 at our Costco and put them in an album then I take 1-4 of the best of those and enlarge them to 8x10, frame them in black frames( I like them just the way they are) and hang them all over my house! Everywhere I go I get to see a memory on the wall! We have our own little travel museums and I wouldn't change it for anything!!

Edited by Hydrokitty