Serenade Rescues Eight Cubans - Bad Attude from Some Passengers!

My DH and I were on this cruise. While waiting to board the tender back to the ship in Grand Cayman we talked with one of the ships officers. He said arrangements had been made for them in Cozumel and would therefore not be going to the USA.

I am glad we rescued them. What an awful feeling it would have been to know we could have tried and didn't do anything but sail away. Regardless where they came from or why the are human beings! The captain announced they would not have survived much longer had we not rescued them.

I'm not even sure that they will be returned. Unless policy is different with a cruise ship rescue, I though current Cuban policy in the U.S. was "wet foot dry foot". So if picked up by coast guard, they are returned but if they "touch" dry land they get to stay. So which applies to the cruise ship. Are they taken off before it returns to U.S. soil?

Yes, the cruise ship usually meets up with a Coast Guard ship and transfers the people to the Coast Guard.

My DH and I were on this cruise. While waiting to board the tender back to the ship in Grand Cayman we talked with one of the ships officers. He said arrangements had been made for them in Cozumel and would therefore not be going to the USA.

I am glad we rescued them. What an awful feeling it would have been to know we could have tried and didn't do anything but sail away. Regardless where they came from or why the are human beings! The captain announced they would not have survived much longer had we not rescued them.

Thank you for sharing the rest of the story.

But if someone comes legally, they will lose out on free health care, free college tuition, income tax refunds, etc.:rolleyes:

I thought you would need a valid Social Security number in order to file taxes (be eligible for a refund).:confused:

As one who strives to get no refund whatsoever I thank all the rest of you for your interest free loans all year to the government.

I am glad these cruise liners adhere to Maritime Law and rescue all refugees. The oft mis quoted line of 90 miles to Cuba is from Key West to the nearest land fall in Cuba. Often their raft journeys can involve hundreds of miles of open water.

Yes, the cruise ship usually meets up with a Coast Guard ship and transfers the people to the Coast Guard.

Yep, handled this way on the 2 ships we have been on where people were rescued. The CG boat would come along side later, pfd's put on the rescued people and they were transferred aboard the cg boat

Edited by setsail

There really IS only one legal way to immigrate to the US from Cuba (if you live in Cuba) -- get or make a boat and take the dangerous 90 mile risk to get here. Not sure how much you actually know about Cuba but leaving at all let alone "immigrating" is somewhat difficult if you are Cuban.

"Disregard of costs to an American" ??? Are you nuts?? Escaping dictatorship and your personal concern is what it costs us???

Perhaps you should change your screen name from kruzerci to "Narcissus"

Sorry, but there are other legal ways to get here from there. A friend when in grad school sponsored his parents to come and stay. People from Cuba marry US citizens and move over. The most visible way is to "sail" between the two countries. That said getting a boat in Cuba is very difficult which is why the rafts we see are not looking so good in most cases.

They are in international waters on a Bahamian registered vessel. It is not the place of USGC to board this vessel and take custody of the rescued boaters

I have witnessed this very thing occur live in person. The Coast Guard will meet up, remove the refugees, process, and send them back.

They are in international waters on a Bahamian registered vessel. It is not the place of USGC to board this vessel and take custody of the rescued boaters

The Coast Guard does not board and take anybody. The cruise line turns them over voluntarily because they know that legally they cannot dock again in the US if someone on board is not on the approved manifest. Thus they need to be in compliance before entering a US port and that means being in compliance with their passenger and crew manifest.

Turning them over to a Coast Guard vessel is the easiest way for them to be in compliance. In this case being outward bound they did not have to meet a vessel since they would be stopping at a foreign port that would accept them before returning to the US.

Edited by RDC1

But if someone comes legally, they will lose out on free health care, free college tuition, income tax refunds, etc.:rolleyes:

I too agree with your post.

But

My beleifs in life cannot let me deny someone help when they are desperate for help. I do not know what hardships these refugees encountered to make them attempt such a risky way to Freedom, but they did. And yes as a tax payer it is hitting my pocket as well.

Please note:

By choice I am a working middle class happily married mom who pays all the expensed for her DD to attend college, and assist in the care of the MIL financial needs, because her insurance does not cover everything.

So I know what balancing a budget is so we can travel, and have comforts we enjoy.

I may not agree with the way we support our illegals, but, I cannot in my heart let them suffer demise.

I dont know the answers, but I am sure others will post solutions.

Thanks

We are talking about Cuba here, not other countries. Sometimes folks post and are not posting from a viewpoint of knowledge.

funny, I went to high school with a Cuban girl who EMIGRATED LEGALLY( her brother sponsored her, and he was a political refugee)

so I think I DO know what I am talking about.

We are talking about Cuba here, not other countries. Sometimes folks post and are not posting from a viewpoint of knowledge.

I am sure getting away from Hitler, Stalin, Tito .....etc was no walk in the park either. But I know many who had relatives who did

He said arrangements had been made for them in Cozumel and would therefore not be going to the USA.

Yes, I should have posted the rest of the story. Our first stop after the rescue was Falmouth, so many thought they would be handed over to Jamaican authorities.

Later, we learned through the crew member who served as a translator with the Cubans that they were put ashore at Cozumel.

This is exactly what most of us had hoped for since the refugees were seeking to land in Mexico, not Florida!

For those mentioning the Coast Guard, that was a non issue. The Coast Guard had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately, I see that many here have the same judgmental attitude as some on the ship. These eight HUMAN BEINGS risked their life for the simple reason that they wanted to be free. I doubt if sending a note to Fidel or Raul would have gotten them anything except jail. Frankly, these are exactly the kinds of people I would welcome to the United States.

As I mentioned, they were seeking Mexico, but if they had come to America as my grandparents did in the belly of a ship, they would have passed a little gift from the people of France that reads...

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Yes, I should have posted the rest of the story. Our first stop after the rescue was Falmouth, so many thought they would be handed over to Jamaican authorities.

Later, we learned through the crew member who served as a translator with the Cubans that they were put ashore at Cozumel.

This is exactly what most of us had hoped for since the refugees were seeking to land in Mexico, not Florida!

For those mentioning the Coast Guard, that was a non issue. The Coast Guard had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately, I see that many here have the same judgmental attitude as some on the ship. These eight HUMAN BEINGS risked their life for the simple reason that they wanted to be free. I doubt if sending a note to Fidel or Raul would have gotten them anything except jail. Frankly, these are exactly the kinds of people I would welcome to the United States.

As I mentioned, they were seeking Mexico, but if they had come to America as my grandparents did in the belly of a ship, they would have passed a little gift from the people of France that reads...

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

First of all, yogimax, this is the SECOND time that I know of that we were on the same cruise and you did NOT introduce yourself to me. Should I be getting a complex?

Second of all, I am glad that I didn't see this thread until just now, and thus was able to see this follow-up post, after some of the nonsense posted in the meantime.

1. Some of those Cubans have relatives in MEXICO. They were trying to sail to MEXICO. We landed them in MEXICO.

2. The crew of the Serenade chipped in clothing and money, in VERY large amounts. THEY "have a heart", unlike some of YOU.

3. The USCG has nothing to do with this - as stated by yogimax.

4. We tried to leave them in Falmouth. The Jamaican authorities did not want to accept them. Just for full disclosure. ;)

5. There was no point in even trying to leave them in GC. Caymanian authorities wouldn't even discuss it.

6. Reportedly, two cargo ships/freighters passed them by. Those captains are now subject to very serious charges. You have a DUTY, an OBLIGATION, to help those in distress at sea.

7. Picking them up had NO impact on our cruise. I am so very happy that I heard not one tiny WHISPER, not one SYLLABLE of complaint from anyone on board. If I had heard what yogimax heard, there might have been someone ELSE in the water. :eek: :rolleyes:

8. Everyone that I spoke to was concerned and interested in the fate of the Cubans. All expressed empathy, warmth and good wishes.

As for some of you.................SMH.

First of all, yogimax, this is the SECOND time that I know of that we were on the same cruise and you did NOT introduce yourself to me. Should I be getting a complex?

Second of all, I am glad that I didn't see this thread until just now, and thus was able to see this follow-up post, after some of the nonsense posted in the meantime.

1. Some of those Cubans have relatives in MEXICO. They were trying to sail to MEXICO. We landed them in MEXICO.

2. The crew of the Serenade chipped in clothing and money, in VERY large amounts. THEY "have a heart", unlike some of YOU.

4. We tried to leave them in Falmouth. The Jamaican authorities did not want to accept them. Just for full disclosure. ;)

5. There was no point in even trying to leave them in GC. Caymanian authorities wouldn't even discuss it.

6. Reportedly, two cargo ships/freighters passed them by. Those captains are now subject to very serious charges. You have a DUTY, an OBLIGATION, to help those in distress at sea.

7. Picking them up had NO impact on our cruise. I am so very happy that I heard not one tiny WHISPER, not one SYLLABLE of complaint from anyone on board. If I had heard what yogimax heard, there might have been someone ELSE in the water. :eek: :rolleyes:

8. Everyone that I spoke to was concerned and interested in the fate of the Cubans. All expressed empathy, warmth and good wishes.

Thank you!! Best post!!

Well, said! Can't wait to meet you on Jewel in May!!!!

Thanks Merion Mom for posting even more info. They were adrift in a structure made partially of styrofoam, for 10 days no less, as I understand it. I'm curious how you learned so much information?

Thanks Merion Mom for posting even more info. They were adrift in a structure made partially of styrofoam, for 10 days no less, as I understand it. I'm curious how you learned so much information?

Because I am.................Merion Mom. ;) :D

Yes, it was styrofoam and some sheets of tin. Shortly after they left Cuba, a SHARK bit off their "rudder" and whatever small "motor" they had. That's how they came to be totally adrift.

:rolleyes:

You should have ended your post right there. You're right, it is great that Serenade was there to save their lives.

That being said, since you made your opinion so clear, it should be said that there is a legal way of immigrating to the U.S. that (although blatantly disregarded at the cost of Americans) is more respectable than not only risking your own life, but risking the lives of those rescuing you when things go wrong.

Hopefully they were brought back to good health and sent back on their way at their own expense (oh wait, the taxpayers will pay for that, too).