NEW Room Service Menu Just Posted...

Elaine515

Undoubtedly this will be first in a series of cuts that culminate in all free room service being eliminated, similar to the Captain's Party turned Fun Farewell Party turned free drink at breakfast/brunch/lunch turned free bottle of water.

So they've replaced the most expensive free items with similar (albeit possibly nicer) pay items... shrimp salad sandwich with fried shrimp, beef and cheddar sandwich with cheesesteak sandwich, chicken fajita wrap with chicken quesadilla. The next change will be that people didn't order the free (i.e., cheapest for Carnival) sandwiches so they're eliminating those entirely and providing "more choices and variety" with a fully a la carte menu.

I don't expect a five star dining experience on Carnival, but certainly expect more than a PB&J, ham, or grilled cheese sandwich. Just another change pushing me away from Carnival.

:rolleyes:

I dont understand why some people don't see cruise lines as a business.

I don't think that anyone fails to see cruises as a business. I think they see what they pay and what they are getting for that cost, and are asking themselves, is it worth it. When people start to lose the things they look forward to, or have to pay more for something than they think it is worth, they are going to either skip it or take their business elsewhere. I love cruising, but I am only going to continue to cruise for as long as I feel like I am getting what I am paying for. I have so many options for vacations, and I am not going to settle for less than the experience I want, for the price I am willing to pay. Nothing is static, including loyalty to a cruise line. If I can get better elsewhere, I am going to do it, that's just business.

I don't think that anyone fails to see cruises as a business. I think they see what they pay and what they are getting for that cost, and are asking themselves, is it worth it. When people start to lose the things they look forward to, or have to pay more for something than they think it is worth, they are going to either skip it or take their business elsewhere. I love cruising, but I am only going to continue to cruise for as long as I feel like I am getting what I am paying for. I have so many options for vacations, and I am not going to settle for less than the experience I want, for the price I am willing to pay. Nothing is static, including loyalty to a cruise line. If I can get better elsewhere, I am going to do it, that's just business.

Very well said, and that's the position I myself am now in.

One thing to remember Carnival is the only mainstrean cruise line to have free delivery 24/7. All the others charge for a cookie after midnight. And how in the world can some of you ear such heavy foods in the wee hours. Human body wasnt meant to do that.

I don't expect a five star dining experience on Carnival, but certainly expect more than a PB&J, ham, or grilled cheese sandwich. Just another change pushing me away from Carnival.

:rolleyes:

Yep, you can head over to NCL and pay 4.95 or is it 7.95 for all of their room service items, or head to Royal Caribbean and pay their late night room service fees. The point is all cruise lines are doing things like this, so where do you go. Carnival still gives you plenty of free room service choices, and yes I will miss some of the choices they took away, but I don't cruise for room service!

$6 for cheese and crackers? Ouch!

That is one of my favorite snack items and I hated it when they removed it from the room service menu. Still was able to get it at the main dining room on our last cruise, the Paradise in February, but with no refrigerator in the room I had to eat it in the dining room. :(

I just hope they don't put an upcharge on the smoked salmon for breakfast!! :) That will be the straw that breaks the camel's back! :)

Edited by Yvonne

Well said. Changing customer expectations is dangerous for any business. Or disappointing them. They will take the risk of less business or possible a new demographic in cruisers. Maybe it works out perfect for the cruise lines.

What is disappointing is i see many who book their cruise over a year in advance with certain EXPECTATiONS in place. Then before they sail find that what they thought they were getting has been changed.

It will take more than a few things to discourage me from cruising but if it all becomes ala carte I will choose an alternative to cruising or a line that doesn't nickel dime for the extras. (Only if that exists).

Edited by xeroxme

I'll still continue to get cheese and cookies from the buffet and keep in my cabin for late night snacking, don't need anything heavy like chicken wings at that time. I don't ever pay for the fancy restaurants so I would never pay for room service, except a tip.

I dont understand why some people don't see cruise lines as a business..

This. This. and This.

I recommend people stop being just customers and start being shareholders. Clearly they believe there is demand and a market for these items. I walk into RedFrog and the food is flowing more than the drinks sometimes.

I like the roast beef sandwich as well, but the way I see it, there is SO many food options on the ship, that if one thing goes, I just find something else.

Looks good to me!

Not good to us.....LOL!! Another way to add "upcharges" .....pretty soon even the MDR will be for a cost....as long a pax keep shelling out the bucks to pay for what used to be for FREE!!! (yes, some new additions for a FEE, but where is beef sandwich w/brie and other wonderful choices that were FREE??)

Yep, there is sushi....but that used to be for FREE too, before dinner from the cart.....now an UPCHARGE??? Not fooling us!!

For me; and I accept other opinions too, but for me, because of the fact that I only use room service two to three times in a week long cruise, I say this new menu works for me.

I will greatly miss the chicken fajita sandwich, and would have loved to try the shrimp salad thingy, but it took me 6 carnival cruises to even ever try the blt.

Breakfast remains the same, and is more than adequate for me, who is not a big breakfast eater.

Will I pay extra for some of the new offerings ? maybe, but more likely not.

I will miss some of the previous free offerings, but there are still more than enough on that menu to help me stave of hunger pains without racking up more on my sail and sign account.

I had always wished they would add a cheese plate to the room service menu, but know that cheese is expensive. That is the one item that I might indulge in.

All in all, this menu is still acceptable to me.

just my opinion, and we are all different, so others are entitled to theirs as well.

Not good to us.....LOL!! Another way to add "upcharges" .....pretty soon even the MDR will be for a cost....as long a pax keep shelling out the bucks to pay for what used to be for FREE!!! (yes, some new additions for a FEE, but where is beef sandwich w/brie and other wonderful choices that were FREE??)

Yep, there is sushi....but that used to be for FREE too, before dinner from the cart.....now an UPCHARGE??? Not fooling us!!

Nicely stated. I will continue to get my Tomato juice through RS but that will be it.

Is it still true that the cruise lines still spend less that $10 a day on the passengers for food? They must be giddy with delight to be reading there are those willing to part with more money to pay for those yachts and private planes for food they have already paid for. I don't think anyone is actually eating an extra meal out of this.

Keep it coming. Interesting reading, watching customers willing to freely add to the corporate bottom line.

The changes are pretty much just for extra charge food. Not something I would be that interested in. But it looks like a number of people are. I'm still okay with the free items. The room service menu on Carnival has never been exceptional, so I will not pay more for room service other than a tip. I am not a big user of room service anyway other than coffee in the morning.

Edited by arby70

For me; and I accept other opinions too, but for me, because of the fact that I only use room service two to three times in a week long cruise, I say this new menu works for me.

I will greatly miss the chicken fajita sandwich, and would have loved to try the shrimp salad thingy, but it took me 6 carnival cruises to even ever try the blt.

Breakfast remains the same, and is more than adequate for me, who is not a big breakfast eater.

Will I pay extra for some of the new offerings ? maybe, but more likely not.

I will miss some of the previous free offerings, but there are still more than enough on that menu to help me stave of hunger pains without racking up more on my sail and sign account.

I had always wished they would add a cheese plate to the room service menu, but know that cheese is expensive. That is the one item that I might indulge in.

All in all, this menu is still acceptable to me.

just my opinion, and we are all different, so others are entitled to theirs as well.

You can still order the cheese plate in MDR and take it back to your room for free :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

You can still order the cheese plate in MDR and take it back to your room for free :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

Thanks, yes and I have done this a couple of times before, but now I do Your time dining, and dont go to the mdr every evening, so it could be an option for those evening when I have a light dinner elsewhere on the ship and crave cheese late at night:D I doubt I will be spending that on a cheese plate any time soon, but still it would probably be the only one that I would consider, just me, loves me some cheese late at night:)

edit to say, that I will wait to see a photo of that cheese plate in a review before I ever order it. Cheese and crackers for 6.00, no way, but a cheese plate like in the mdr maybe. Will wait to see one in a review.

Edited by SMSACE6

I can't speak for how many time people order room service on a cruise with all the food options. Breakfast withholding, we order maybe once or twice a cruise. I would much prefer just adding a 10-20 dollars to the cost of the cruise rather than add fees to the room service items. JMHO

Is it still true that the cruise lines still spend less that $10 a day on the passengers for food? They must be giddy with delight to be reading there are those willing to part with more money to pay for those yachts and private planes for food they have already paid for. I don't think anyone is actually eating an extra meal out of this.

Keep it coming. Interesting reading, watching customers willing to freely add to the corporate bottom line.

That's me!! 100% willing to add to the bottom line. They still have my BLT but looking forward to trying the new pay options.

And if I can't afford to dish out $5-$7 more dollars for room service one or two nights, I shouldn't be dishing out a couple grand to go on my cruises in the first place.