Anyone not like cruising?

hfj17002

My ex husband did not like cruising although I dragged him on 2. He is not one to lay around by the pool or on a beach, and he prefers all inclusive resorts where liquor is unlimited and there's virtually no bill at the end. I realize that adding the cost of the cruise and the S&S balance together probably amounts to less than our all inclusive trips, but he still didn't want that bill at the end.

Here's what I have gathered about people who don't like cruising:

- they have never actually gone on a cruise but make assumptions that are based on past experiences like "I went on a small fishing boat and got sea sick"...

- they are ex-husbands or wives

- they are people who don't like to socialize

- they are people who are generally negative in most aspects of life and make up excuses for not liking cruising (too many photographers, cabins are too small, etc.

- they are people who have a favorite vacation style and aren't at all adventurous or accommodating to their spouse (only go fishing, only go to this one resort, etc.)

We just finished a 19 night cruise with friends who NEVER cruised and they loved the experience.

I work with one guy who tried it and hated it. I don't know what type of stateroom he had, but I'm pretty sure the fact that he easily tops 300 lbs and his wife is also pretty large may have factored into his enjoyment. Nothing against heavier people at all, and I know many larger folks enjoy cruising just fine, but if he had a small inside stateroom, just fitting into the bathroom could have been a downer for him.

I know another guy who took a cruise and didn't like "being stuck on a ship". Not really sure what he expected, or why he felt "stuck". At the time, he wasn't really interested in shows, I don't know if gambling is his thing, I'm pretty sure trivia is out of his wheelhouse, and maybe it was an itinerary with lots of sea days?

~shrug~

So, yeah, there are people who don't enjoy it. (I have a feeling some of them go with the attitude of "I don't think I'm going to like it, prove me wrong."

Oh, yeah, my elderly (now deceased) stepfather would never go on a cruise because he was convinced he'd get seasick. Because of his previous experience. In the Coast Guard. In small boats....off the coast of Maine.

Edited by srlafleur

We have friends we were trying to convince to go on a cruise with us, but they always had different reasons why they couldn't join us. Unbeknownst to us, they booked an Alaska cruise and came back to tell us how much they hated it. The ship was too big, the drinks were too expensive, people weren't friendly (they asked one lady if they could share her table in the Lido and she said no . . . maybe she was waiting for more family??:rolleyes:), the shore excursions were too expensive, and their cabin steward wasn't friendly.

It didn't matter that they were living in a floating hotel for a week where all of their daily needs were met (meals cooked, dishes washed, room cleaned, entertainment provided), they just weren't happy.

You have no idea how relieved we were that we had not been with them on that cruise, as we would have felt responsible for their unhappiness. Whew, dodged a bullet on that one - some folks are just not cruise people.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

- they have never actually gone on a cruise but make assumptions that are based on past experiences like "I went on a small fishing boat and got sea sick"...

- they are people who are generally negative in most aspects of life and make up excuses for not liking cruising (too many photographers, cabins are too small, etc.

- they are people who have a favorite vacation style and aren't at all adventurous or accommodating to their spouse (only go fishing, only go to this one resort, etc.)

We just finished a 19 night cruise with friends who NEVER cruised and they loved the experience.

Guess I am the exception as:

- I have gone on several cruises, never gotten seasick. If I did get seasick I would not cruise as am done taking drugs to have fun -- that is a part of my past. Therefore I identify with those that don't cruise because they get seasick

- I am not an ex-wife or ex-husband

- I like to socialize and have fun events going 3 or 4 days / nights a week

- I am not negative and have not made any excuses for not being a big fan of cruising

- I don't have a favorite vacation style -- my two favorites were Antarctica on an expedition ship -- truly went to Antarctica; and an 21 day African Safari through Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe -- both very different "styles"

While I believe I am the exception to your assumptions -- I just don't have cruising high on my list of things I enjoy doing.

Snowskier, you are not alone. We are heading to Antarctica next year and are planning on an African safari in 2017.

My husband and I have been on two cruises with Azamara. We loved the small ship, the wonderful crew and the great food. We did not love the short times in ports (and we did have some overnights) and we did not like coming back to 'our North American home' every night.

We love independent travel and have decided that, except for expedition type cruises or short scenic boat trips, we will not cruise again until we are older and cannot get around well enough on our own.

We do not like all inclusive resorts for similar reasons. We like to experience foreign cultures.

We are retired and do not need the stress relief of a vacation where you are waited on constantly.

Cruising is easier than the kind of travel we do. There is something to be said for having the same bed every night and not having to pack and unpack so frequently but it is not the best way to experience this huge, world of ours in all its variety.

Edited by maryann ns

My husband has 2 co-workers who said they will never cruise again. Apparently, both of them went in the middle of summer when there was storms so the ship rocked a lot.

I purposely picked a larger Carnival ship for our first family cruise (took a smaller one on Carnival for a girls weekend two months before that rocked a bit). We had a BLAST!!! All of us - even my 12-year-old son!

We signed up for the credit card on that cruise so we could start saving for the next one - which is coming up in less than a month. Woot!!!

Hello, joined this forum a few months ago & taking my 1st cruise in June on the Freedom. I see how much ppl love cruising & how ppl become addicted after their 1st cruise. My question is, Do you know anybody that didn't like cruising & why? I'm sure there are ppl out there, I just haven't met them or read about them. Thanks!

The ones that don't sure won't be hanging out here :D

I have a good buddy who has kids with similar age to mine. We've done several vacations togather, skiing, etc. They took a cruise, HATED it and have yet to ever consider it again.

Things they hated, small cabins, limited choice of food, limited activities on ship, etc. etc. All a matter of prospective, from one point of view I can agree as when a am in a ski resort or vacationing in a new city; countless food choices, countless activities.. cruise ship appears very limiting. But our family loves to cruise, not like some here that make it their one kind of vacation, but every year or two we love the value and destinations, as well as the ship experience, could I do it 3 times a year when retired, NO WAY.

Very interesting question and responses. I LOVE cruising but it's not for the typical reason. We are not particularly social (but are not anti-social by any means), we don't like stage shows, we don't like crowds, we don't play trivia or bingo but we love cruising. Our vacations are always centered around the ocean, whether in or on it. (I know living in the desert doesn't make sense but I think it makes us appreciate it all the more).

We have found what works for us on a cruise. We love sitting on the balcony or in the aft. We love getting up early and having the ship to ourselves (well, almost). We love having a long dinner in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. We love walking around the prom deck. We love catching up on movies we've missed due to hectic lives. We enjoy excursions but they don't have to be with a big group.

My point is, you can make cruising into what works for you. It did take us a few cruises to figure this out but we pretty much cruise once a year now and take a land vacation to the ocean somewhere.

Thanks again for all the input. The only negative things that I can think of are:

1) not enough time at ports

2) getting seasick (family of 4)

3) not enough activities on Freedom til 3pm (according to reviews)

4) not liking a small cabin with 4 ppl

I don't think these will be an issue for us personally. I'm going in thinking we are going to have a great family vacation. I'm getting pretty excited, less than 2 months!

We did a cruise with all my in-laws once. There were 15 of us. My MIL and our family like cruising and had cruised before. The other nine had not cruised before. They tried it and none of them have any intention of cruising again. Why? I don't care. I'm not getting paid by the marketing department of the cruise lines to answer that question. Some people like cruising, some do not. End of Story.

Hello, joined this forum a few months ago & taking my 1st cruise in June on the Freedom. I see how much ppl love cruising & how ppl become addicted after their 1st cruise. My question is, Do you know anybody that didn't like cruising & why? I'm sure there are ppl out there, I just haven't met them or read about them. Thanks!

I've come across more people that are afraid to cruise. I've never heard anyone say they don't like cruising.

Like virtually every other question, some qualification is needed in answering this one. I do not like cruising on large ships (certainly anything over 2,500 passengers), I do not like cruising in a "there are no rules - do your own thing" environment), I do not like cruising on ships where the "wow factor" (shopping malls, amusement arcades, flashy décor, etc.) takes precedence over the concept of being at sea,with good service and good food, to go someplace you want to go.

Other than that, I like cruising enough to do it every year.

My brother refuses to even consider getting on a cruise ship.

My husband didn't want to go on our first cruise. He was a good sport but he really wasn't looking forward to our 25th anniversary trip. It was a cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver so 4 days at sea first. It was a good thing that by the 3rd day he was hooked.

I have a really good friend who really wanted to go on a cruise. Since she isn't allowed to go anywhere without her husband (she was in her 50's at the time) her husband finally allowed her to book a cruise. She wasn't allowed to ask me for any advice even though I had gone on several cruises at that point. He picked the cruise and the place. He wouldn't fly down the day before so they were stressed before they even got there.

I saw him a week before they left when I was shopping. He told me that he was going to hate it and wasn't going to let her do anything except watch other people leave the ship. That it was going to be a horrible time so that she wouldn't ever want to go again. He did exactly that. They stayed in their room (at least they had a balcony) except to eat at the buffet. They never went to the dining room, shows or anything else except for one time when he fell asleep she went to bingo. She loves bingo and never gets to play it. She would love to go again but she won't. They have the money but he has threatened her if she did go with me. And he likes me.

tigercat

My husband didn't want to go on our first cruise. He was a good sport but he really wasn't looking forward to our 25th anniversary trip. It was a cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver so 4 days at sea first. It was a good thing that by the 3rd day he was hooked.

I have a really good friend who really wanted to go on a cruise. Since she isn't allowed to go anywhere without her husband (she was in her 50's at the time) her husband finally allowed her to book a cruise. She wasn't allowed to ask me for any advice even though I had gone on several cruises at that point. He picked the cruise and the place. He wouldn't fly down the day before so they were stressed before they even got there.

I saw him a week before they left when I was shopping. He told me that he was going to hate it and wasn't going to let her do anything except watch other people leave the ship. That it was going to be a horrible time so that she wouldn't ever want to go again. He did exactly that. They stayed in their room (at least they had a balcony) except to eat at the buffet. They never went to the dining room, shows or anything else except for one time when he fell asleep she went to bingo. She loves bingo and never gets to play it. She would love to go again but she won't. They have the money but he has threatened her if she did go with me. And he likes me.

tigercat

That doesn't sound like someone who doesn't like cruising, they sound like they don't like life and have other serious issues.

Not that we don't like cruising, but we've done it as often as we have because my parents love it, and it has been an opportunity to vacation w/them and our kids.

More recently, and again this summer, cruising has been a compromise w/our kids. At their ages, a vacation in Europe is more enjoyable for them on a cruise ship.

My wife and I are actually looking forward to our next big trip that doesn't involve a cruise ship.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

I disliked cruising through my first two cruises. My companions were seasick, and both had many consecutive seadays (trans-south Atlantic and Hawaii from California). I vowed to only cruise somewhere you couldn't see any other way. So we took my mom along on an Alaska cruise and we had fun! Then DH and I did the Panama Canal (and for that one I found Cruise Critic and helped with the M&G and knowing some people on the ship was fun, too!

Subsequently I have pretty much loved cruising, taking Mom to South America last year, and just back from a transAtlantic and western Mediterranean.

So you might not even decide after your first cruise, but I wish you well! Also, the stabilizers on most if not all ships are MUCH improved: my husband has not had a whiff of seasickness on the last three cruises.

tigercat

That's abusive behavior there. Way to controlling!!

I drug my feet for several years thinking I wouldn't like it. Once I went, I loved it!! We have our third cruise booked lol.

I do love any vacation on the water . We used to own a sailboat and were on it every weekend. We have been on only 3 cruises so far but the upcoming 4th will most likely be our last. There really aren't many other places in the world that we would want to visit by cruise ship. By land, yes, but we would like to have unlimited time in places and the port calls are so time limited.

There is no doubt that a cruise is the most relaxing type of vacation, and when we are there we will absolutely enjoy the relaxation. I hate the art auctions and jewelry sales on a ship. I avoid them, but we enjoy eating in the main dining room, enjoy the shows, and we always plan our own adventures when in ports of call. The cruise ship excursions are not for us, but I will take ideas from them and research each port carefully so that we can be on our own exploring mode when in port.

That all said, however, we are not really cruise people. We prefer land based vacations and road trips. We love the the National Parks and we love meeting people in B&B's when we do land vacations.

tigercat

This is such a sad story.

He wouldn't allow her to have a good time? She needs to run very fast away from him.

Her problems are a lot bigger than that cruise.

Some people think I am barking mad for loving cruising so much.

I doubt many of them will be on a site dedicated to cruising,.

Why???

Well we are all different.

I suspect for some it is because they took the wrong cruise. For example a fellow I know just did a relocation from USA to Australia with HAL, he didn't like it because:

A. The passengers were too old

B. There wasn't enough to keep him occupied

C. There were no Aussie beers

D. All the charges were in US$ and

E. To quote him "There were so many damn Yanks on it".

Now I could have told him that all these were going to be issues for him on that particular cruise but no one had warned him.