Am i in the minority here?

redflag216

... the recent promotions have a lot to do with why people are booking them at an alarming rate. If you booked a CC or higher cabin, you got all 3 of the 1-2-3 or pick your perk promotions. So you got the alcohol package, the gratuities and the 300 in OBC.

I agree. We booked C3 for South America next January due to getting all 3 of the 1-2-3 perks with gratuities with Concierge class, and the travel agency was also offering an extra $300 OBC as well. Pretty hard to pass on that deal. The cabin was also in the location we wanted and is a bit bigger than the Verandas. I forgot about the Captain's Club one category upgrade, but really C2 isn't that different than C3. I prefer aft location anyway. C1 on back of ship would be worth it, but you can't get the free upgrade from C2, and when paying for it then C1 costs even more than Aqua class.

My usual cabin category is a Verandah. Suites are so expensive, though have splurged a few times in past. I've never done an inside - something about it freaks me out to not have easy access to daylight.

I have a giant balcony on reflection next month on deck 14. it has a couple of bars, sun loungers and chairs.

I quite like sharing [emoji485][emoji636][emoji466]️

We have sailed in all categories on X except suite. Like many I see no advantage in a CC except at times if you book it you get the 123 all in deal. depending on the price difference this could be nice. We have been sailing in Aqua because we like the small dinning room with Blu. Guess I am old because all the noise and hub bub in the MDR gets on my nerves. We like the small nature of the Luxury lines however get board because the ships are small with little to do.

Yes, it does get pretty funny on these boards as a disproportional number of posters take suites, CC and Aqua so it seems they are in the majority. In fact there are a lot more regular cabins.

We have done inside, outside and regular balcony (including two aft and one sweet 16). Of course I prefer the balcony but I'd take the inside over the outside. We really didn't like having the window and not being able to go outside.

Our one cruise a year is just one of many vacations so I can't justify the extra money for a better cabin. I guess if all we did was cruise I might choose something better. Then again, I can't imagine just cruising. We love our land trips too!

The only times we sailed in CC was to get an aft cabin on Summit. Otherwise, we would have been happy with a regular ol' verandah. A few nicer perks, but nothing worth the extra price other than the location.

Aft cabins are pretty nice on M class ships. In addition to having a view of the wake off your balcony, you also get a larger balcony depending on which deck you are on.

What has really hurt CC cabin category is AQ. CC is now kinda a step child. We too like regular balcony cabins.

We looked at AQ for our 2017 sailing. A Sky Suite started at around $1000 per person more for a two week sailing. But it included $400 OBC, gratuities and the drinks package where as the perks in AQ were tiny. As we'd definately spend more than $400 onboard including specialty restaurants, but the suite package already includes two nights in these.

While it is a significant amount of money, with the extra perks, and just over 50% more room space, it seemed the best value deal on the ship overall, particularly if dining is important to you as Luminae, Blu and two nights in whichever specialty restaurant you choose are all included.

The butler service also appeals, I pity mine, he will be kept very busy...

I think that if I was wanting the very best value for money deal then I'd be sailing on a different line though.

I think the disproprtionate number of posts relating to suites, AQ and CC are a result of the extra features of these cabins. In short there is considerably more to talk about where they are concerned. People will want to ensure they are getting value for money for the more expensive staterooms, hence the more questions and resulting posts.

But do the maths and you'll quickly see that there are many more inside, outside and regular verandah cabins on the ships, those sailing in them will be in the majority on every saling on M and S class ships...

Edited by Mynki

We had a sunset veranda on Silhouette and loved it.

This cruise all the cabins at the aft had gone so He Who Pays chose aqua top deck Connie.

I think it will be a great waste of money. Persian gardens? No. Blu? I will let you know. We liked the MDR.

Heck, we liked the buffet!

All on the same ship. All going to the same ports.

Next time, thanks to tips on here, I am going last minute.

Perhaps:D

We ONLY booked concierge class because it worked out cheaper (with the extra perks).,. otherwise we would have gladly been in a verandah. I wasn't willing to pay for extra points

not willing to pay for extra points ! [emoji33]

Just think . pair of socks washed free , bit of (very dodgy) free internet and you are classed as 'Elite' (and all that this word conjures up [emoji13])

actually now i think about it you are correct [emoji41]

Edited by gcgold

If DH and I are traveling alone, we book AQ specifically for Blu. We also love the location of the Deck 11 cabins on M class. If we are traveling with others not in AQ or with our son, we will often book a regular balcony. On M class ships (like Summit) we may choose CC if the price is not much higher for the extra space - it is not a lot but in a cabin every inch counts if you are traveling with 3. We may book a CC for location as well, and definitely will consider it if the perks are different. Other than that, we feel the CC 'perks' are basically just so many words.

We started out our cruising history sailing in outside cabins for many years, with the occasional inside. Eventually got hooked on balconies once we could afford them, but other than the above reasons, would not hesitate to sail in a regular balcony anytime.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't "need" a balcony/veranda for most cruises. If you're heading to Alaska or doing the Panama Canal, then you definitely should try to get one. The views are spectacular from your balcony. Otherwise, if you're just sailing in the middle of the ocean (i.e. a transatlantic) most of the time, it's an expense that you don't need. An ocean view at the point works just fine. (I'll never do an inside cabin again, I get a bit claustrophobic in it... I need some sort of outside light coming in.)

With that all said, if cruising for you is lounging on the balcony outside your cabin, go for it. :)

not willing to pay for extra points ! [emoji33]

Just think . pair of socks washed free , bit of (very dodgy) free internet and you are classed as 'Elite' (and all that this word conjures up [emoji13])

actually now i think about it you are correct [emoji41]

10 points, 137 points, 4987 points, peasant, classic, select, elite, you still only get one free scoop of gelato per 5 day, 7 day, 14 day cruise regardless!!!

:mad:

Most people sail in a regular veranda and other cabins as the ships always sail full and those categories are the majority of the passengers

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Yes, it does get pretty funny on these boards as a disproportional number of posters take suites, CC and Aqua so it seems they are in the majority. In fact there are a lot more regular cabins.

We have done inside, outside and regular balcony (including two aft and one sweet 16). Of course I prefer the balcony but I'd take the inside over the outside. We really didn't like having the window and not being able to go outside.

We feel the same about outside cabins, although we have one booked in the fall. The outside came with free gratuities and OBC, so the effective cost was lower than inside. We are following this B2B with a transatlantic and we were able to upgrade to a balcony for $300 total which was worth it to us when we have so many sea days.

We had a CC cabin on a recent cruise, thanks to s free upgrade when the prices dropped dramatically after final payment, but didn't really see any particular benefit to it apart from location. We have never tried Aqua or a suite, because if we spent that much it would restrict our number of vacations and we want to see the world!

Sheila

We normally book aqua cabins....but we just booked a cruise in December on an s-class ship and A2 was $2300, C3 was $1800 and 1A was 1500. We booked the 1A in a cabin which IMHO is in a far better location than either of the available other 2. Same size cabin, larger balcony.

You are definitely not in the minority...some, if not many, of the zeniths have made that level staying in inside cabins.

We don't book guarantee verandah because we don't want obstructed view...but we have booked guaranteed concierge. Again, we don't book guaranteed aqua either on an M-class because some of those cabins are in "not great" locations.

One place I noticed the overwhelming emphasis on higher level cabins is on the roll calls. It could have just been the two I frequented, but one of the first things almost everyone mentioned when introducing themselves to the roll call was the cabin level they booked..."hi..we're so and so from anytown USA/UK, etc and just booked our Aqua cabin...can't wait" or something like that. It was all AQ, CC and suites. I thought I was the only one in an OV on those sailings! :D All really nice folks. Just thought it was interesting that everyone was mentioning the type of cabin they booked right off the bat.

I asked a TA why there were fewer reviews for inside and OV cabins on Cruise Critic than higher cabins and the response was that a majority of people who cruise regularly AND have found cruise critic tend to book balconies and above.

Makes sense in-so-far as if you check "Sticky: M-Class (S-Class) Cabin Information Compilation - PLEASE - DO NOT POST CABIN QUESTIONS HERE!!!" there are many more comments per cabin the higher the category is...

So to the OP: no, you aren't in the minority, all those insides and OV are sold... but fewer of the occupants seem to have discovered CC yet.

MY 2 Cents.

Edited by A Sixth?

This is a good post. We have just completed our first sailing on Celebrity and sailed an Aqua Class cabin. We liked our cabin, the location and the amenities (mostly Blu). We have 3 sailings booked over the next 18 months, all on Celebrity, all in Aqua. In each case, the cost to go from a standard balcony room to Aqua was mostly offset by additional perks under the 1-2-3 Go promotion.

Do people actually cruise in Verandah cabins? I frequent this site daily, and all I seem to read about is Aqua cabin this and Concierge class that. I am in a Verandah cabin on the Summit. For my sailing there is quite a price difference to bump up to either CC or Aqua, so I guess I am content with my little balcony. I have never been on X so it will be a new experience for me regardless, but is there any value to upgrading??

With X I've had a regular balcony, an outside (porthole), will be Concierge on the next cruise only because I got a deal that was too good to miss and for the 2 after that have an outside (porthole) and then a balcony.

I just go for the best deal I can get and as you spend so little time in your cabin (oops sorry....Stateroom.......I forgot my cruising snobbery) :eek: what does it matter :D

X are really good. There are always critics and detractors, but then there are many more who simply enjoy their cruise without looking at every minor flaw!..................and I got perks with every booking!

Edited by LF2C

No desire whatsoever to book a CC or Aqua stateroom as we're not foodies. Much prefer drinking "falling over" water to endless food.

I don't believe Concierge entitles you to eat anywhere different than "normal" punters..............nor would I want to :D

With X I've had a regular balcony, an outside (porthole), will be Concierge on the next cruise only because I got a deal that was too good to miss and for the 2 after that have an outside (porthole) and then a balcony.

I just go for the best deal I can get and as you spend so little time in your cabin (oops sorry....Stateroom.......I forgot my cruising snobbery) :eek: what does it matter :D

X are really good. There are always critics and detractors, but then there are many more who simply enjoy their cruise without looking at every minor flaw!..................and I got perks with every booking!

Cant beat the Leeds Loiners in grabbing a bargain ;)

Agree with all you say. Add up the value of a cabin with the perks v the cabin without and compare. Bizarrely we are in a suite next cruise because the total value (free drinks free grats OBC & spec. dining was way cheaper than the 'lower' level cabins.

Back to steerage for the 2 after though - and happy with that. Just wish they had a cabin with direct access to Martini Bar :eek: