Bringing bottled water on board--Is it really necessary?

cma2008

I will never understand the people who purchase flats of bottled water. The stuff comes from places like the Fresno municipal water supply.

In Texas:

In Walmart's case, the water is Niagara — not from Niagara Falls, or even company headquarters — but from a local plant in Grand Prairie.

Kroger's bottles don't say where their water is sourced, but it's Dallas City water from Irving.

Aquafina's bottle says their product comes from "public water sources." A company spokesman says it's Dallas water from Mesquite.

Tom Thumb's brand, Refreshe', doesn't reveal its source. It's bottled by Advanced H20 near Duncanville.

Dasani, a division of Coca-Cola doesn't give a clue where it comes from on the bottle. Headquarters says that its source is Dallas water mains.

Nestle Pure Life's label does say its source is public water supplies, Dallas, Texas.

Careful how you refill it though.
Why?
I believe GUT2407 may be referring to not letting your bottle touch the water dispensing spout to prevent potential contamination of the dispenser. On one cruise with a Noro outbreak there was a sign on the dispensers that you should request staff to have them fill water bottles.

Hi, we found water on a recent Sea Princess cruise to be very drinkable. My partner drinks a lot of water and can be particular about his water, but he was fine with plain old ship water. FYI, we carried a few glasses back from the buffet each night to put in our fridge but some people had a small thermos for their rooms. There is also an ice machine to keep water cold.

Regarding refillable bottles: Yes, if I wanted to I could bring some aboard. However, water bottles are a very small indulgence. For one thing, I do not have to worry about them at disembarkation if all I've done is bring a case aboard. Also, since we have no dishwasher access, I would get a little concerned about cleanliness of the bottle after a while, even if it's only me using it. I tend to use a brand that says "spring water" even if it's only my local Nestle brand (Deer Park, Arrowhead, Ice Mountain etc.)

People just do what works for them. For the poster who commented about people walking around with water bottles- I'm one of them, sorry! Many people who are on certain medications tend to get dehydrated at times. On Celebrity cruise line- water bottles are included in their packages, including the soda I like. But for Princess, dh and I are used to bringing our 24 --16 oz bottles on board, putting aside unopened bottles for excursions, and refilling the others in the buffet or even using melted ice from the cabin. Water tastes just fine to us from the ship.

I always drink the Princess water. I know people who bring on water for health issues, but take ice tea and water at dinner...where does that ice come from?

What works for you.....do it. For me, I drink the tap water and like the club soda that they have in the mini bar. Don't care for pop.

I use rum runner flasks as refillable water bottles. They are lightweight but tough, don't leak, and - most conveniently when out on an excursion - as you drink the water they get flatter and flatter so by the end of the excursion, they take little room in your backpack.

I keep a couple in my cabin fridge (I usually add Crystal Lite, that's just my choice) - they fit in more neatly than a round bottle and I always have a cool drink on hand. And they're easier to fill at the cabin sink rather than a rigid bottle.

I think they're great for travelling generally - in airports, I have one empty in my bag, then when I'm through security I fill it from a drinking fountain - saves many $$$

Edited by jollyjones

I drink the shipboard water as does my wife but she also brings some bottles of Propel water as she likes the flavor. It's not really a hassle and it makes her happy.

I will never understand the people who purchase flats of bottled water. The stuff comes from places like the Fresno municipal water supply. Bleh... I don't know why people seem to "need" to have a bottle of water at hand all the time. I seem to have grown up for many, many years without this particular "need".

Thumbs UP!!!:D

Thumbs UP!!!:D

Double thumbs up!

Except in rare cases (for example because of side effects of medication, as mentioned) the majority of fluids you need come from the foods you eat and the things you drink anyway. And what good does it do to get great tasting water (an oxymoron since pure water is tasteless) if all you taste is a plastic bottle.

I use Arrowhead which is taken right over the hill from me in a big truck to Los Angeles where they bottle it. I suspect some LA water finds its way in, too. The Arrowhead springs have been supplying local water forever along with the SanBernardino aquifers. The CA drought, however, is threatening both the springs and the aquifers and the bottled water industry is nervous.

Spring water with all the minerals from mother earth.

This is what I like to drink.So I guess I am a bottled water fan:)

On a long trip this is expensive .Then I cannot drink alcoholic beverages so its as broad as its long:)

I believe GUT2407 may be referring to not letting your bottle touch the water dispensing spout to prevent potential contamination of the dispenser. On one cruise with a Noro outbreak there was a sign on the dispensers that you should request staff to have them fill water bottles.

OK, thanks.

We try to bring out refillable Thermos water bottles and if we don't then we will purchase a couple of bottles of water before we board and keep refilling them...I am not terribly "green" but I feel better doing this. The ship's water tends to be warm so we will add ice cubes to the Thermos bottles or keep the refilled bottles in the fridge.

Water%20from%20Lido_zpschet7sej.jpg

I use Arrowhead which is taken right over the hill from me in a big truck to Los Angeles where they bottle it. I suspect some LA water finds its way in, too. The Arrowhead springs have been supplying local water forever along with the SanBernardino aquifers. The CA drought, however, is threatening both the springs and the aquifers and the bottled water industry is nervous.

Is that what they told you? :p

I agree this is a biggie, as well as some bartenders filling up passengers containers with water, soda and touching the gun nozzle to the container, etc. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Spring water with all the minerals from mother earth.

Well, of course, arsenic is a mineral from Mother Earth and has been found, often in much higher than safer levels, in well-known brands like Arrowhead and Calistoga. Hey, if I want carcinogens in my system, I'm gonna get 'em for free.

http://www.upworthy.com/see-what-researchers-found-when-they-tested-a-bottle-of-fiji-water-against-a-glass-of-tap-water?g=2&c=aol1&fb_ref=Default

The shipboard tap water is superior to most bottled waters. I bought a Princess water bottle onboard and have used it so much (both on cruises and elsewhere) that the Princess logo is about worn off! Don't waste your money (and pollute landfills) with bottled water.

We won Princess water bottles at trivia a while back, but strongly suspected they might contain BPAs. Threw 'em away. There are other nasty things in some plastic bottles, too. Try a Klean Kanteen bottle instead. Not cheap, but thoroughly wonderful. They wear like steel because, well, they are.

Edited by shepp

Is that what they told you? :p

LOL. Yes, I've seen the trucks at the filling stations where they take on the water. It used to go out on a Pacific Electric train in the old days. It's the same water used in many San Bernardino County municipal water districts since it's the water from the snow packs on the mountains. No more snow packs since the drought, and all the underground aquifers are drying up. The Arrowhead springs, BTW, come in both cold and hot since they are formed as part of the San Andreas fault system.

I don't use the bottled water on the ship, though.

Since the drought, my favored brand has become Agua de Culo.

I agree agua de culo is the drink to order. I have never laughed so hard. Bueno!

The ship water is very pure and heavily regulated. It most likely is more pure than the water we get out of a tap at home and bottled water that people buy. It never ceases to amaze me as people throw their money away on bottled water. Me, I prefer the fermented liquid that comes in bottles. So to each their own and I suggest drinking agua de culo.