Latest Azura cruise had topless sunbathing

seapals2

I was on the same cruise but thankfully missed it- but I do agree. Too many of what is on display needs ironing and it is not appropriate with children running about. I always thought there was a private top deck that should be used

With the feminist movement insisting that mothers can get their boobs out to breast feed in public places, I cannot see that this is any worse than that. - sorry.

Wow! I don't think a mother feeding her child can be compared to someone sunbathing topless. One is essential for the baby to live the other is a choice to get a better tan. Either way, it wouldn't bother me.

It's interesting that some people have said it's more shocking to older people. I'm 37 and seem to remember topless sunbathing being much more common when I was a child than it is now. I personally would never do it but each to their own.

Edited by moqui_girl

Sorry but (as a female) I hate topless sun bathing. Perhaps I'm odd but I'd just want to throw these fellow cruisers overboard. I don't want to look at someone else's boobs and think people need to have more self respect on land or sea. (Duck for cover at this comment)

If I had children on a family ship I'd be mortified.

If there was a designated area where people wanted to 'let it all hang out' then ok - you know what you are getting if you go there --- like nudist areas in some Canary Island hotels. Otherwise --- cover yourself up.

Ok flame me --- just my opinion...... don't think it will be popular so will duck for cover now!

These days you see plenty of moobs and beer bellies, are these any less offensive? I say each to their own although I prefer (and I think you would all prefer me) to keep covered :)

I agree nothing worst than a man in speedos parading around the pool lol:eek:

I detect a spot of ageism here. Topless only on the top deck? are you aware this is quite a climb for some of our seniors and that coupled with the sights awaiting them, could be detrimental to their well being.

Cb

For what it's worth, my vote is no thanks! Although I did it myself when much younger, but only lying down!!! From what I have seen, breastfeeding mothers in public don't show much actual boob, it 's often covered by a special blanket or something, so not a fair comparison.

Ha ha .. Thought this might cause a bit of a divide .... We have done over 40 cruises and this is the first time we have encountered it. We must have been walking round with our eyes shut.

With sunbeds packed so tight on some of the top decks I honestly think it's not acceptable. When we say children ... Tiny tots wouldn't notice ... My 12 year old grandson would! Would I like him on a sunbed next to a lady who bears all ... No .. We would move ..

We have been on many beaches and not batted an eyelid .. Even nudist beaches .. But there is always plenty of space and easy to avoid being up close and personal. Same can't be said of sunbathing areas on a ship. Packed like sardines or sizzling sausages.

Waiting for P&O to make an official statement .. I certainly was not aware of the 'top deck' rule.

I have to say it's not for me, each to their own and if there was a separate designated area it would be fine but I certainly wouldn't want to be sat next to someone sunbathing topless! I agree that it's not a fair comparison with breastfeeding though as women tend to do so discreetly. I have to say that I'm not a fan of seeing some men topless either, especially with moobs, speedos and a beer gut! Maybe I'm just odd or prudish but it's not just offensive to the older generation either as I'm 29!

If topless sunbathing is extended across the whole P&O UK fleet, then the Cruise Director could hold a 'boob comp.' LOL. Tickets please !! Lubberly Jubberly !!

I will volunteer to be a judge, no payment required for this Colonial.

OMG the prudes on here! What on earth is wrong with topless sunbathing? It has always been permitted on the top decks of P& O ships and in 18 cruises I have only once known one prudish women make a fuss. I told her to go and tell the man opposite me to put his boobs away as they were bigger than mine!

Everyone has a body, and there is no reason why anyone over 40 should not sunbathe topless if they are comfortable doing so. As for the prudey "think of the children" brigade, well there is no scientific or even anecdotal evidence that total nudity, let alone toplessness, does children any harm whatsoever. the harm is done by anal adults teaching their children that nudity is "rude"; no wonder so many young people have body image issues.

On Oriana last year we docked alongside a German ship, one of the Aida fleet. Many German ships allow nude sunbathing on the top deck. The passengers who rushed to the top deck of the larger Oriana to look down on the top deck of the Aida ship and say"disgusting" really amused me!

Out of interest, what are we classing as "top deck"? I've heard this phrase a number of times, but am not sure what we are referring to. As an example, what area would we class as top deck on Azura? I hope nobody starts a topic about topless people that smoke - that could end anywhere......

OMG the prudes on here! What on earth is wrong with topless sunbathing? It has always been permitted on the top decks of P& O ships and in 18 cruises I have only once known one prudish women make a fuss. I told her to go and tell the man opposite me to put his boobs away as they were bigger than mine!

Everyone has a body, and there is no reason why anyone over 40 should not sunbathe topless if they are comfortable doing so. As for the prudey "think of the children" brigade, well there is no scientific or even anecdotal evidence that total nudity, let alone toplessness, does children any harm whatsoever. the harm is done by anal adults teaching their children that nudity is "rude"; no wonder so many young people have body image issues.

On Oriana last year we docked alongside a German ship, one of the Aida fleet. Many German ships allow nude sunbathing on the top deck. The passengers who rushed to the top deck of the larger Oriana to look down on the top deck of the Aida ship and say"disgusting" really amused me!

Well put and well said.

Totally disagree with the statement.

Yes some do, but the majority are now open as a defiance to the issue :p

What statement are you referring to as it sounds an interesting answer?

If it were that natural why would you not walk down the high street like it.

I have no objection if it was on the top deck.

Why on earth people think everyone else wants to see their wobbly bits is beyond me, especially after all the recent news about cancer. Is it really worth getting that tan in those places , when skin cancer awaits you round the corner?

Can you catch cancer by just looking.:confused: ??