To up sell or not to up sell?

mrsstefedwards

We've been offered a premium balcony (aft dolphin deck) from our interior stateroom for $498 for the hubs, our toddler and I total. I'm a Princess rookie, is this a good deal? I did the math and it would more than double our fare had we booked this room ourselves, I just don't know about this room type. We're sailing to Alaska on the Crown 07/18/15. Should I hold out longer or do you think this is too good to pass up?

TIA

We've been offered a premium balcony (aft dolphin deck) from our interior stateroom for $498 for the hubs, our toddler and I total. I'm a Princess rookie, is this a good deal? I did the math and it would more than double our fare had we booked this room ourselves, I just don't know about this room type. We're sailing to Alaska on the Crown 07/18/15. Should I hold out longer or do you think this is too good to pass up?

TIA

All I can say is that if there is any cruise itinerary that really makes having a balcony great, it is Alaska. There have been so many times where something neat to see such as a whale comes up and you are much more likely to see it if you only have to step out on your balcony rather than run topside to an open deck.

I don't think that you would get a better deal than what you've been offered. The nice thing about the Dolphin Deck is that you are closer to the waterline. We saw Killer Whales and dolphins from our balcony on our Alaska cruise. Also, your toddler can have an afternoon nap and you two won't have to miss any of the scenery.

If you want the upsell, call the number they gave you immediately. It may already be too late. They send the upsell email to more people than they have upsells available, and it's first come first served. Some of their upsell offers sell out very fast.

TIA

Definatelyvworth it ! We always have aft staterooms as the balcony is bigger.

Have a great cruise 😄

While a balcony would be nice (on any cruise) I think that finances have to be considered. Alaska cruises sail with their interior cabins fully booked and people in those cabins have wonderful cruises. My first cruise was to Alaska and we sailed in a tiny inside cabin all the way forward up on deck 12 of the Sea Princess. (Sea Princess inside cabins are much smaller than those on the Grand class of ships.) This is the cruise that hooked me on cruising. Would a balcony have been good? Of course. Was it necessary in order to have an absolutely wonderful cruise to Alaska? Not at all.

While the upsell is "only" $500 it may be that the OP could have a wonderful cruise in their original cabin and spend that $500 on something else - perhaps a once in a lifetime flight seeing tour or something more mundane such as a home repair. For some people here $500 is like change found under the couch cushion but for others it is an amount to be carefully considered.

I simply don't agree with the "A balcony is a must for Alaska!" idea. I would agree with "A balcony is a plus for Alaska".

I too was offered an upsell for my upcoming Alaska cruise to a balcony. I decided to take it because I figured it would be nice early in the a.m. going past glaciers and not having to rush getting dressed to get up on deck. I decided to stay on my balcony the first half and the second half go on top deck to get views from a different perspective.

If your toddler is anything like my 45 year old son was when he was about 3, I wouldn't have taken a balcony even if it were free. I had an extremely active climber, and an interior or an ocean view would have given me peace of mind.

Edited by Viv0828

Agree a balcony isn't a necessity for Alaska or any cruise for that matter. Our cruise next week is our 4th to Alaska and this will be our first time in a balcony up there. We book obstructed OV's on cool weather/port intensive itineraries and always have a wonderful time being up on deck. We got an upsell for $99 pp this time and improved our location on the ship, so taking it was a no brainer. I's all about priorities and budget.

I agree with those who say that one can have a wonderful time in Alaska without a balcony. If the price of the upgrade is problematic, be happy sticking with an inside. Just get out of the cabin and enjoy the ship.

Last time to Alaska we booked late; best deal was an obstructed guarantee, so we got a cabin with just a little pinch of a view. A balcony would have cost much, much more. The weather that week was cold and windy with drizzle/rain. We hung out in skywalkers and could see many of those balconies...mostly wet,empty balconies. Somebody would pop out onto their balcony for a quick look then scurry back inside. As the weather was so problematic, we were very glad we did not spring for the balcony on that cruise. Weather could have gone the other way, of course. And no matter what cabin, I wishyou mild temps and gentle breezes.

I agree with those who say that one can have a wonderful time in Alaska without a balcony. If the price of the upgrade is problematic, be happy sticking with an inside. Just get out of the cabin and enjoy the ship.

Last time to Alaska we booked late; best deal was an obstructed guarantee, so we got a cabin with just a little pinch of a view. A balcony would have cost much, much more. The weather that week was cold and windy with drizzle/rain. We hung out in skywalkers and could see many of those balconies...mostly wet,empty balconies. Somebody would pop out onto their balcony for a quick look then scurry back inside. As the weather was so problematic, we were very glad we did not spring for the balcony on that cruise. Weather could have gone the other way, of course. And no matter what cabin, I wishyou mild temps and gentle breezes.

And then there are those that on those balconies sit through snow/freezing rain/sun for hours on end. Sometimes bundled up and sometimes not. The scenery outweighs any weather inconvenience. ;)

Aft facing balconies are always my preferred choice while cruising to Alaska. Less wind and less wet yet still a fantastic view of BOTH SIDES.

For the person who said being closer to the water was great for sighting whales, that's not necessarily true. I've cruised Alaska AND Hawaii for the main purpose of watching wildlife and found that the further topside, the better for watching sea life. The reason is that you can see them from a distance better and can also actually see their full bodies in the water while they are swimming. We used to spend almost whole days at the "Whale's mouth" at the front of the ship thinking we would be up close but then discovered we could see whole pods of whales, their entire bodies, when we went up to decks 15-17. Thee Whale's Mouth is a great place to watch everything, however, when the weather is bad because it is fully covered.

And then there are those that on those balconies sit through snow/freezing rain/sun for hours on end. Sometimes bundled up and sometimes not. The scenery outweighs any weather inconvenience. ;)

Honestly, I did not see anybody doing that. Of course, I could not see everything....nor would I try!

USNS=tougher than the average cruiser?!?

Edited by Starry Eyes

If we have dicey weather, that won't be me. LOL! I'll just have to settle for a little extra fresh air and a nice view through the slidding door. I don't mind being out in adverse weather conditions, but I need to keep moving.

I'm pretty sure we are going to decline. I'm expecting twins this Christmas and we'd rather save up the money. My parents got the same offer and they are going to go for it. Knowing we can spend time on their balcony really helps us make our decision.

Thank you everyone for the advise. I will most certainly plan our budgeting better next time around knowing that up selling is a thing that happens, not just wishful dreaming. [emoji5]️

When we had small children, $500 was a fortune, and it was needed for bills. Our children have so much more discretionary income, they would be able to choose how they would spend $500.

You have to decide for yourselves if you should spend the money. You can have an unforgettable experience with or without a balcony. Alaska doesn't have to be a one time thing. You might go back with all the bells and whistles.