Get rid of The Compass?

Just got a chuckle over the post about the new "casual dress code", showing the error in a recent Compass. But it got me thinking. For all the "save the waves" propaganda RCI puts out there, is it just me, or does it seem like the Compass could really be trimmed down or eliminated?

There is a TON of paper wasted in my cabin alone. Multiply that times a couple thousand every cruise, and it really adds up. Just thinking with the interactive TV's and what not, there are better ways to disseminate information.

Who else wouldn't mind seeing a "paper-free" cruise?

I'd say toned down but not eliminated. I'm one of those people that like that piece of paper that shuffles me around with the heard!!! LOL :D

Seriously-it could use the readers digest version probably.

Edited by Debde

I like carrying the schedule of events with me. And no, I don't want to lose the paper option for some electronic app on my phone.

Royal could significantly cut the paper use by eliminating all the inserts in the compass.

I guess IO can agree that the schedule of events, times, etc... is useful. That's the ONE PAGE, I tend to tear out and carry with me. But I feel like it's gotten out of control. It's pages and pages long. I would like a ONE PAGE daily schedule. All the rest tends to be useless anyway.

I'd say toned down but not eliminated. I'm one of those people that like that piece of paper that shuffles me around with the heard!!! LOL :D

Seriously-it could use needs the readers digest version probably.

Anthem has certainly cut down on paper and rightly so. This is something most of us do in our daily lives in the wake of high tech gagets and applications. On my recent Anthem cruise , the printed Compass was a cleaner, more salient discription of activities. Interactive TV, I pads dispersed around the ship, and the excellent RoyalIQ app ( free to use on board) kept me informed. Yes let us cut down on paper and save trees while saving the waves.

Just got a chuckle over the post about the new "casual dress code", showing the error in a recent Compass. But it got me thinking. For all the "save the waves" propaganda RCI puts out there, is it just me, or does it seem like the Compass could really be trimmed down or eliminated?

There is a TON of paper wasted in my cabin alone. Multiply that times a couple thousand every cruise, and it really adds up. Just thinking with the interactive TV's and what not, there are better ways to disseminate information.

Who else wouldn't mind seeing a "paper-free" cruise?

Not a chance in eliminating the compass. Would you rather hear announcements every 10 minutes about events that are going on?

I like carrying the schedule of events with me. And no, I don't want to lose the paper option for some electronic app on my phone.

Royal could significantly cut the paper use by eliminating all the inserts in the compass.

I totally agree with getting rid of those inserts- such a waste!

All I know is by the end of the cruise we have a pile of papers a mile high most we NEVER look at , have 10 TV stations that are cruise related never watch any of them or hardly any , how hard would it be to have one that has a copy of the events going on and upcoming as you go bed flip it on and check out the next day events. But I have to beg for ice on a cruise that they want to save.

It's worse when it's misplaced and you need additional copies to know what to do for the next activity.

On DCL, you can get the daily activities on your mobile device with their wifi.

Edited by xlxo

I too like the Daily Compass.

I like to try to get away from phones etc whilst on holiday.

They can do away with all the extra bits inside it but keep the compass itself as I like having it with me to see what's on and yes I am one of those with a highlighter!

Anyway what would we use for Quest! :D

Agree with Bob. Don't get rid of The Compass, but they should eliminate all the "junk mail" inserts.

I completely agree, Bob.

Like those useless Jewelry and shopping advertisements that immediately get thrown in the trash. :rolleyes:

It's worse when it's misplaced and you need additional copies to know what to do for the next activity.

On DCL, you can get the daily activities on your mobile device with their wifi.

Well, then you can go look at the digital way finder located in every elevator lobby! :p:)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

How about a 3-4 page Master Compass upon Embarkment with all of the daily activities listed. Then, each night they give out a 1 page Port-Highlight or Sea-Day Special for the following day. Cut down on the paper significantly. Obviously with extras at the CS desk for those of us that leave them at the Schooner bar...;) There is enough opportunity in the Public Areas to showcase any Sales or Spa-Specials on Boards or Signage.

100% agree... Although the old crawl like the paper, I will prefer 1,000,000 time electronic compass... With an electronic one, they can keep the program must updated and in the event of changes, new times can be displayed and not wondering and making lines in guests services asking when is the show...

Also should be great if the app can accommodate your shows schedule with your dinner time so you can plan more accurate.

We are in year 2015... NO MORE PAPER... PROTECT THE PLANET... SAVE THE WAVES... :cool::cool:

I like that idea

How about a 3-4 page Master Compass upon Embarkment with all of the daily activities listed. Then, each night they give out a 1 page Port-Highlight or Sea-Day Special for the following day. Cut down on the paper significantly...There is enough opportunity in the Public Areas to showcase any Sales or Spa-Specials on Boards or Signage.

On our last cruise we got notices left on the bed when to move the time forwards or backwards and I put them to one side for them to use for the next cruise but I wonder if they did :rolleyes:

Carol

I reckon the Compass could cut from 4 pages to 2 (a single A4 double sided) quite easily without losing any of the important information that people need.

On the Allure this year I noticed that some of the advertising bumpf was now on my stateroom TV as a "message" rather than as an additional printout. While this was a good move, I can see from their perspective there will be a whole bunch of people who won't read the stateroom messages - mostly because at the moment they're pretty much all just advertising.

If they opened up the messaging system so that there were other messages there as well, I think people may read the ads as well. They could allow inter-cabin messages. If I know you're in cabin 123, I can currently phone you/leave a voice mail - let me be able to send a written message to cabin 123 as well. I could send a message without worrying that I'll wake you up!

They could also use it to send invites to C&A events, for example, and confirmation of bookings (which could then add themselves to your "My calendar" on acceptance).

I know a lot of people don't want apps, but if the compass was also available on your TV, and selecting an item on the compass added it to your calendar, then it would be handy if your calendar also synched with an app, so that those who want to could just view their daily schedule there, rather than by paper. But keep the paper version as well!