Have you ever ...

Jane2357

cruised packing only 2 or 3 colors? Background: Me - 58 and newly transitioned to a silver haired sister (LOVING it!) - and the worst ever overpacker. For next May and 15 nights in Alaska - I've thought about only packing black, white and gray clothing, shoes, dresses, etc. adding in the odd pops of color with scarfs and such in an attempt to not over pack!!!

Am I crazy or can it be done? I'm not much of a jeans person (and they are heavy) and would rather go with a more athletic look - like black yoga pants or tights, capris - with stylish tennis shoes or boots. I've got a car coat length black coat, black vest, black cocktail dresses, black rain pants, etc. Has anyone every gone in this direction?

I haven't completely but I have admired many capsule wardrobes on the blog The Vivienne Files that are based on 2 or 3 colors.

I have considered the idea...

My stumbling block is the idea of column dressing in the summer which is when I usually travel. I don't normally wear matching tops and bottoms in solid colors. I like prints and have quite a few in my wardrobe...which makes the limited color selection more difficult.

I do dress under a sort of palette, aiming for "my colors" which are any color that is more muted with a warm undertone. I've found that I have a pretty good mix and match wardrobe because of this.

I don't think you are crazy and it can definitely be done. The key to me would be in fabric selection. I am also a fan of the athletic look and would say that I wear exercise related clothing about 85-95% of the time for my daily wear.

Have you ever shopped Athleta? They have a fabric that they claim is "unstinkable". I have a few tops in it...and can vouch that the fabric doesn't retain stink the way some other more athletic/technical fabrics can. If you are aiming to not overpack...then key choices in fabrics that wear well (won't stretch out of shape at the knees for instance) would be a key element in my planning of such a wardrobe.

Athleta colors may really work for your scheme.

Athleta new catalog came the other day - and I LOVE it all!!! This is exactly what I am envisioning. First because the laundry on X washes in hot and drys on high - a recipe for shrinkage. I'm going for it - black, gray and white. I'll report as I go. This may be my first time NOT over packing.

Jane, I just got the mulberry skort from Athleta & will pair it with a hot pink rash guard & a cactus yellow rash yard (both from Athleta) I'll also bring my black Athleta skort for our November cruise, goes with both rash guards. I love yoga pants, a tank top & a rash guard (with cashmere socks) & my Keen water shoes(my heaviest shoes) for traveling. I agree with Anita that it is unstinkable (& has SPF50). Have fun, look forward to what you decide upon. Melody

My regular wardrobe is only grey, jeans, purple, and teals so it can be done easily. I have dress code for work, so minus a few dresses that's what I travel with. I get much more wear out of a printed scarf.

For Alaska I fell in love with Eddie Bauer travex pants. Though for the travel on my land sea tour jeans were the only way to go. I brought 2 pairs, and with Downey wrinkle release I got 3 days out of each pair. Even in August there was still a few days I wanted a heavier pant. 😀

I'm a 30 something transitioning to my natural salt and pepper--the roots are killing me. I'm a true admirer of your patience to go soley to your natural color.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I have done this many times. I tend to wear a lot of black and white anyway, and it just makes it easier to mix and match. For a typical Carib cruise I frequently take a pair of white pants/capris, and a pair of black pants/capris or a pair of dressy jeans. Then one pair of black heels or wedges, maybe a white pair and several black & white tops. Maybe a top or two with color, and maybe 1 dress and that is it for evenings (We don't usually do formal night any longer). For days, a pair of black shorts and a pair of white shorts, and a couple of tops that go with either, and a pair of sandals or flip flops that go with either. Easy peasy.

I have also more or less packed that way for 10 days in Italy. Bottoms included a pair of jeans, a pair of black casual pants, a pair of black shorts and a black sundress. Half a dozen or so tops, mostly in black & white but one or two in bright colors (all worked with with all the bottoms), a pair of black sandals (also took black flats but never wore them), a black shrug, a black cardigan and a jean jacket. One black cross body bag. Again... easy peasy to mix and match and pack less overall. We did have access to a washer/dryer for the first 7 days, but I probably could have gone without and just packed one or two more tops and a few more pair of underwear.

Hi Jane,

I bring only black, grey, & blue, white, maybe a khaki green, but that's pretty much it, that's all I own. :)

I don't own anything with a print, except scarves, but I do have striped tee shirts & tunic type tops.

I love that everything I have can go together, but I think some would say I'm very boring. :)

I find it liberating not to really think hard about getting dressed.

I confess that when I find a good piece I like, I'll buy 2 or 3 of the same thing. :eek:

cruised packing only 2 or 3 colors? Background: Me - 58 and newly transitioned to a silver haired sister (LOVING it!) - and the worst ever overpacker. For next May and 15 nights in Alaska - I've thought about only packing black, white and gray clothing, shoes, dresses, etc. adding in the odd pops of color with scarfs and such in an attempt to not over pack!!!

Am I crazy or can it be done? I'm not much of a jeans person (and they are heavy) and would rather go with a more athletic look - like black yoga pants or tights, capris - with stylish tennis shoes or boots. I've got a car coat length black coat, black vest, black cocktail dresses, black rain pants, etc. Has anyone every gone in this direction?

I've never done it but sure it can be done! Black and grey are some of my favorite colors of clothes and I buy a lot of clothes in those color schemes you mentioned.

Given that you are going to Alaska and not the Caribbean makes this color scheme more achievable. I wouldn't want to be in the Caribbean with all black/grey wardrobe but in Alaska it's completely feasible. Especially if you like dressing in those colors, I say go for it!

I'm an Athleta slut. there. I've said it. I have so much from there, and so much of it is from way back. Some people will gasp at the prices, but when I can get a pair of pants, or a shirt, or capris or bathing suit that lasts years and years, they are worth it. And, they aren't just for sweet, young things, but anyone who wants a casual, but well-put together look. I had a little chuckle back in June: I was traveling and I was on a flight from Los Angeles. The woman who ended up across the aisle from me had on the bottoms that went with the top I had on (a specific fabric and pattern). We looked at each other and laughed - we were both on the downside of 50…

Take a look at their stuff, give it a try!!!

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! Last cruise was 14 nights in caribbean with three formal nights and I actually took 4 long gowns and 10 cocktail dresses :cool: if that gives you any idea of my "over packer" issues. :o I'm embarrassed to admit that because of my clothes they had to bring a rolling rack into our cabin to hold it all.

With 2 nights pre cruise in Vancouver, 7 nights on the ship, 6 nights of a post cruise tour - where they have to handle my luggage and most likely have restrictions - over packing will not be an option.

I'm looking at this as a personal challenge - I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! Last cruise was 14 nights in caribbean with three formal nights and I actually took 4 long gowns and 10 cocktail dresses :cool: if that gives you any idea of my "over packer" issues. :o I'm embarrassed to admit that because of my clothes they had to bring a rolling rack into our cabin to hold it all.

With 2 nights pre cruise in Vancouver, 7 nights on the ship, 6 nights of a post cruise tour - where they have to handle my luggage and most likely have restrictions - over packing will not be an option.

I'm looking at this as a personal challenge - I'll let you all know how it goes.

Have traveled that way for 30 years. I take one 22"roll on and one over the shoulder bag for two weeks or six. We never do the Caribbean but it is good for Europe, Alaska and South America and all of our cruises.

Leaving for six weeks in London and packing that way takes no thought anymore, Enjoy your trip.

Edited by orchestrapal

I absolutely limit my packing wardrobe to a couple of colors (though I love scarves and will add color/pattern in that way). I dress that way at home as well as when I travel.

The Athleta items I've tried have not fit me well. Ah well. Many of their pieces (but not all) are just too athletic for my style. But I do love a technical fabric:D

I'm another Athleta junkie here. I started a thread on this forum once about their skorts. I pretty much live in their skorts & capris, but I have lots of other pieces, too. They are definitely worth the money, pack very well, can go from cool weather to hot weather, can be dressed up or down, etc. Perfect clothing for an active cruise vacation.

I'm another Athleta junkie here. I started a thread on this forum once about their skorts. I pretty much live in their skorts & capris, but I have lots of other pieces, too. They are definitely worth the money, pack very well, can go from cool weather to hot weather, can be dressed up or down, etc. Perfect clothing for an active cruise vacation.

I have my black Athleta skort on right now (with my hot pink rash guard). Absolutely love both pieces

I do it every cruise...black and white bottoms, a few scattered colored shirts/blouses. I used to have a problem with black because being a fluffy gal, it seemed that was what was sold to us years ago. Now I wear it because I truly love it. I don't have to worry about taking a bunch of shoes. It just all works out! :)

Please come back & post photos of what you packed :)

I find that very helpful, I'll be in the Med. for most of next May, & I plan on posting photos here of what I packed & how I wore it. :)

I always pack this way. I choose a neutral (for me, usually black) and choose a light and a bright coordinating color (for me it is usually white and either red, bright pink, or turquoise). I bring bottoms (a combination of capris, slacks, shorts, skirts - more or less depending on number of days) in solids in these colors. Then I choose tops in solids and prints in these colors. That way all the tops go with all the bottoms. Accessories (jewelry, wraps, etc) compliment everything.I choose shoes in a solid in my neutral or one of my other colors so everything goes as well. (I usually bring a casual flat or sandal, a dressy sandal or slingback, pool shoes, and walking shoes). For elegant, I bring a solid black dress and wear with blingy jewelry, changing up jewelry and wraps if there is more than one formal/elegant night. I usually bring a 2-3sundresses (in the soft wrinkle-free knit) and of course bathing suits and undies, For my recent 4 day Caribbean cruise I packed everything in an 18" carry on and a shoulder tote (which held my toiletries, documents, and a change of clothes.) Upon return, I had one top and a wrap that I did not even wear. (For a longer cruise I use a 22" - for a cruise to a colder destination, I might need something a bit bigger, as winter styles take up more room - I did 10 days in winter in Europe with a 26' and a small carry-on) .

Put in an order with Athleta yesterday - several highwaisted capri and tight lengths and a pair of their leggings all in black. :D Tops and tees will be in white or gray and with soft wrap style sweaters. This fall I'll be watching for the right black boot to dress things up a bit when not on an excursion. Daytime around the ship either sneakers of my loafer style Ugghs.

(For a longer cruise I use a 22" - for a cruise to a colder destination, I might need something a bit bigger, as winter styles take up more room - .

I actually use less space in cooler weather trips - my outer layers are minimal because all anyone sees is a coat and a scarf (so I bring a couple) Bring underlayers that I wash overnight and switch out - but only need a couple pairs pants & sweaters. My packing is much lighter in cool weather trips than warm weather trips. And I can bring fewer shoes too. No, I don't know how that happens.

I have my black Athleta skort on right now (with my hot pink rash guard). Absolutely love both pieces

I've got on an Athleta striped tank and a pair of old Athleta running shorts right now :D I'll say that many of the Athleta tanks and muscle shirts that I own do double-duty as my under-my-business-suit blouses. No one knows the wiser. I had to do a month-long business trip this past early Summer to a summer resort. I had to wear my suits when working, so I had to take 2 suits and 2 extra pairs of pants that went with the jackets. Outside of those suits, everything I took was from Athleta! Makes packing light easy and fun. From bathing suit and SPF50 rash guard to running stuff to workout stuff to hanging out at the hotel stuff, to going to dinner stuff, to playing tourist on my few days off, it was all Athleta, all the time. I did have to move up to my 25" rolling backpack from Osprey because of the suits and my work shoes (a pair of Dansko Pros). I did have room on the way back for the 3 Tshirts I bought and some cookies and taffy that were made locally (brought that back for the office)!