Use of notebooks tablets

Can someone help settle a disagreement with me and my son. A friendly little discussion we had the other day as we were talking about our up coming cruise. He just won a ipad from work, i have a tablet and he suggested we take them because with wifi we can use them. I told him I dont thin that will work. I mean, i know with wifi it will work but I dont think the ship offers free wifi from our cabin. I dont plan on taking mine as I dont see having access to use it. Am I wrong? Can I take it and be able to use it on the ship, in my cabin, free? Can someone let me know so I wont take mine for nothing?

There's no free wifi anywhere on board, but you could, if you like, pay for wifi for one or both devices. The paid wifi is available in your cabin.

In stateroom WiFi is available on all ships except Jewel and Majesty.

You can also find free wi-fi in most ports. Maybe someone could post a link to a page with more information about where? I normally don't care that much, but I also found the crew knows where to get free wifi so they can message go and message their families when they have a day off the ship.

Can someone help settle a disagreement with me and my son. A friendly little discussion we had the other day as we were talking about our up coming cruise. He just won a ipad from work, i have a tablet and he suggested we take them because with wifi we can use them. I told him I dont thin that will work. I mean, i know with wifi it will work but I dont think the ship offers free wifi from our cabin. I dont plan on taking mine as I dont see having access to use it. Am I wrong? Can I take it and be able to use it on the ship, in my cabin, free? Can someone let me know so I wont take mine for nothing?

WiFi is never free. In your home WiFi, you are paying for it. In a business, they might offer it free to you, if you make a purchase. On the ship, you pay for it. They sell internet packages. I believe it is $20.00 a day with some discounts if based on your loyalty level. So unless he wants to spend $120.00 for facebook, it's not free.

In some ports, you can find WiFi hotspots but often times you need the password, and you can get it when you make a purchase at the establishment. Very few places offer it for free, no strings attached such as Starbucks, if you could find one!

I have a surface pro 3 that I take with me but I don't connect to wifi. I read kindle books on it, use it to type up my daily review and transfer photos to for safe keeping in case something happens to my camera. Plenty of other reasons to bring it imo.

WiFi is never free.

In some ports, you can find WiFi hotspots but often times you need the password, and you can get it when you make a purchase at the establishment. Very few places offer it for free, no strings attached such as Starbucks, if you could find one!

True, the password at the Green Parrot bar in Grand Cayman was buysomething.

You could only get it after making a purchase.

Lol.

WiFi is never free.
It is in the centre of my home city of Manchester. It's also free on the public buses and trams. No need to go to Starbucks (not that I would anyway, far better coffee shops in the UK).

I wouldn't even consider leaving my iPad at home, I use the Kindle app on there, there's my music library, movies for the flight and it's also used to download the photos from my camera for security in case anything happens to my memory cards. So that's enough benefit before I even consider connecting to wifi.

Edited by peteukmcr

I purchased the wifi for one device for $20 a day, but I used it on all my devices, my iPad, phone, and kindle. All you have to do is sign in on all of them. And it worked on all at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not very practical in most ports to be carrying around a PC. You need to decide how much your port time is worth.

Majesty goes to Nassau, CoCo Cay and Key west. CoCo Cay has no free WiFi. Nassau is a dump, I wouldn't carry my PC around, and Key West you will hopefully be having fun on an excursion.

My advice, buy one device and share it. IMHO