HAL Crew that are under appreciated and under recognized

rkacruiser

In the thread concerning Thank You notes to crew, sapper1 made a post that led me to thinking that this topic might be an interesting one for CC.

There are crew members that "fly under the radar" whose daily work contribute to our enjoyment, as guests, on any cruise. MDR. Lido Restaurant, Specialty Dining, Cabin Stewards, YUM men, even Lounge and Bar staff are obvious in providing service that enhance my cruise. And, no doubt, yours as well.

For me: a young man who was responsible for setting up, taking down, placing and removing the cushions on the Lower Promendade Deck chairs one one of my long cruises is a stand out. He usually offered Lemonade or Iced Tea in the morning or afternoon. And, since I was 2nd Seating, I remained in my deck chair late into the afternoon during the time he was removing the chair cushions. Never did he ask me to vacate the chair whose cushion I was using inspite of me asking him if he wanted me to do so. He always returned to collect that cushion from my sole deck chair. He worked in lovely weather, of course. But, I saw him out on deck struggling and fighting wind and driving rain, as well, in order to do his job. There was never a negative word that left his mouth when I spoke with him. "How are you? What have you done today?" Often, that is what I heard when he had time to chat.

In deciding which crew deserved an additional gratuity, this young man received one from me on that last afternoon before arrival into port. When he came around for the final time to collect the chair cushions for that cruise, I left my chair and gave him my envelope and my verbal thanks for the service. He almost started to cry in appreciation.

That is what the "Signature of Excellence" motto is all about, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Thank you for sharing your story. That was very kind of you to give the young man a gratuity.

When I was sick on my last cruise, I wanted chicken noodle soup. My DM went to the Lido to try to get some and, of course, none was to be had. However, the chef there made an individual bowl of chicken noodle soup for DM to bring down to me (I was quarantined). She got his name and I made sure to write about him in the post cruise survey. I still can't believe that he took the time to do that for me.

In the thread concerning Thank You notes to crew, sapper1 made a post that led me to thinking that this topic might be an interesting one for CC.

There are crew members that "fly under the radar" whose daily work contribute to our enjoyment, as guests, on any cruise. MDR. Lido Restaurant, Specialty Dining, Cabin Stewards, YUM men, even Lounge and Bar staff are obvious in providing service that enhance my cruise. And, no doubt, yours as well.

For me: a young man who was responsible for setting up, taking down, placing and removing the cushions on the Lower Promendade Deck chairs one one of my long cruises is a stand out. He usually offered Lemonade or Iced Tea in the morning or afternoon. And, since I was 2nd Seating, I remained in my deck chair late into the afternoon during the time he was removing the chair cushions. Never did he ask me to vacate the chair whose cushion I was using inspite of me asking him if he wanted me to do so. He always returned to collect that cushion from my sole deck chair. He worked in lovely weather, of course. But, I saw him out on deck struggling and fighting wind and driving rain, as well, in order to do his job. There was never a negative word that left his mouth when I spoke with him. "How are you? What have you done today?" Often, that is what I heard when he had time to chat.

In deciding which crew deserved an additional gratuity, this young man received one from me on that last afternoon before arrival into port. When he came around for the final time to collect the chair cushions for that cruise, I left my chair and gave him my envelope and my verbal thanks for the service. He almost started to cry in appreciation.

That is what the "Signature of Excellence" motto is all about, Ladies and Gentlemen.

What a lovely post.

Thank you for it.

What an awesome idea for a thread.

I have poor vision, which is tough in the lido because I can't read the tiny signs saying what food is what. On the Rotterdam a lido server saw me leaning and offered to walk me around and point and read them. He did this every lunch. I gave him a huge tip but more importantly singled him out on the survey and a letter to corporate.

What an awesome idea for a thread.

I have poor vision, which is tough in the lido because I can't read the tiny signs saying what food is what. On the Rotterdam a lido server saw me leaning and offered to walk me around and point and read them. He did this every lunch. I gave him a huge tip but more importantly singled him out on the survey and a letter to corporate.

you just nailed this just right.

You tip, appreciate (on board via how can we make this better) and then e Seattle. perfect.

Crew always appreciate tips but those notes do a lot for them. Perfect :)

Lovely idea, rka.

I always want to give extra thanks to the women (especially the women) who clean the women's rest rooms. When I see them there, they always seem to happy to be doing their job; they chat a bit, hand me a towel, and even get the door for me. And somehow, they seem to give the place that "women's touch".

So true!

Exquisite! I believe the same way!

In my dental practice I always strived for in search of excellence with my staff,

And believe all things are and should be appreciated with all. A small token of appreciation goes a long way wether verbal or monetarily .

Thank you sooooo much for a lovely reminder!

Smooth sailings!

Denise :)

Does HAL have a card that you submit to customer services (at the end) where can name individuals who went above and beyond normal service?

Does HAL have a card that you submit to customer services (at the end) where can name individuals who went above and beyond normal service?

You will be emailed a survey that has several places to single out specific individuals.

Same with me. I often sit on the deck long after everyone else is gone and have always asked the guy gathering the cushions and chairs if i should leave and never ever had any of them say yes leave...they always smile and say you sit here as long as you like.

To me by far the best thing about Holland America is the Indonesian and Filipino staff the vast majority of whom seem to be always working, always smiling, always happy to talk with you....burns me up when i see the occasional passenger berate the staff over some trivial matter.

What a lovely post. You are absolutely right, there are some that fly under the radar and yet make such a difference to the enjoyment of our cruise. A post like this raises our awareness, I think.

Comment cards are available at the Front Desk at any time. We usually receive one card on our second day but pick up extra cards at the Front Desk to fill them out during the entire cruise for those crew members who make our cruise memorable.

Lovely idea, rka.

I always want to give extra thanks to the women (especially the women) who clean the women's rest rooms. When I see them there, they always seem to happy to be doing their job; they chat a bit, hand me a towel, and even get the door for me. And somehow, they seem to give the place that "women's touch".

How excellent! Wrote up a cleaner on a cruise for her excellent service and always with a smile. She asked if I had done this as we exchanged greetings each time we met as her manager read the note in front of the cleaning crew! She came and found me in a lounge the last day of the cruise to tell me that she had just been promoted. Those notes can make a world of difference to the crew. I try to write up several special crew members during a cruise and not just wait until the survey as worry about the survey information getting possibly lost in the deluge of surveys. the front desk is always happy to hand out the comment cards.

Edited by take us away

What a lovely story.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

So true -- many behind the scenes people we never see.

That was lovely of you to tip him.

Great post, rkacruiser!

There are so many great people on the ship who aren't in what would be traditionally considered "tipped positions." It's very nice of you to take them into consideration.

Wonderful topic! For me, it started back in my smoking days. We would stop by the Sports Bar right after breakfast, but before it was open, because there were ashtrays there. Day after day we encountered the same young man cleaning the area. The first day he kindly informed us the bar wasn't open yet - and I told him I just stopped by for a smoke. The second day, as soon as he saw us, he made sure there was a clean ashtray waiting. Though he was very busy cleaning, he always took a minute to say hello and ask about our plans for the day.

The last day, I handed him an envelope and he was shocked. "For me?" was all he could say. And his smile was priceless. Since then, I go out of my way to seek out the less noticed workers, and their response is always the same.

Edited by GmaPajama

Lovely idea, rka.

Ruth, this so true. These ladies are the best. I have had the same experience on Celebrity and both lines seem to attract people who actually take pride in their work.

Because of my medication schedule, I am an early riser. Since one of my medications must be taken with food, I order room service coffee and a bagel at an ungodly hour of the morning.

On my last cruise I picked up a nasty cold and cough; the young man who delivered my breakfast each morning quickly noticed that I was not my usual self. As the morning progressed, I was increasingly sorry for myself as I had cancelled a much anticipated shore excursion and felt miserable. About mid-morning, a knock on the door brought my young waiter with unsolicited hot tea, honey, and lemon, and a plate of pastries. Later that afternoon, he brought tea and cookies.

He continued this ritual for the three days that I self quarantined. Although I always tip room service, this young man warranted my gratitude, an additional gratuity, and notes to the front desk and Seattle.

...He continued this ritual for the three days that I self quarantined. Although I always tip room service, this young man warranted my gratitude, an additional gratuity, and notes to the front desk and Seattle.

What a sweet young man he was. So happy that you mentioned him to the Front Desk and Seattle.

That's what I love about HAL---the crew.

Your report further supports this thread! Thank you!

Along with others aboard the ships, those young people who serve in Room Service Steward positions surely do "fly under the radar" of recognition by those for whom they serve.