Half cruising

ty3mom

I'm going on a 7 day cruise with the family for my 40th. But my sister and niece were only available for 4 days. So they plan to cruise with us to Belize (second of four ports, day 4) and after a half day of fun, fly back home from Belize. Do you see any issues with this plan?

Doubt if the cruise line will give permission.

They have to arrange for immigration and custom officials to be at the ship. Your sister and niece will have to pick up that cost. They would have to meet with the officials shortly after the ship arrives in Belize. If granted the permission, they will have to leave the ship with all their luggage right away. No fun day for them.

Hmmm. What if they just "miss" the boat at 5 when the ship is set to leave (because they would be sitting at the airport)? We could get their luggage and bring it back home at the end of the cruise. Would that work?

Hmmm. What if they just "miss" the boat at 5 when the ship is set to leave (because they would be sitting at the airport)? We could get their luggage and bring it back home at the end of the cruise. Would that work?

They will have possible problems with both Belize and the US. Either one may detain them.

Doubt if the cruise line will give permission.

They have to arrange for immigration and custom officials to be at the ship. Your sister and niece will have to pick up that cost. They would have to meet with the officials shortly after the ship arrives in Belize. If granted the permission, they will have to leave the ship with all their luggage right away. No fun day for them.

Don't know about Belize but, most countries do require that you "enter" them before you "leave" them. The passports and any records their immigration officers maintain will not show that they ever entered the country (note: that they are physically standing in the airport is irrelevant). All they will have as "proof" is their cruise documentation and that won't include whatever paperwork would've been needed. And even the best actors would have a hard time explaining how they happened to miss the ship departure but had luggage in hand.

If they want to get stuck in an ideal tropical place, head to the South Pacific instead.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

There have been posts here about this in the past, and why cruise lines are no longer approving it. It has something to do with the passenger manifest. On a closed loop cruise, it needs to be the same embarking and debarking at the end of the cruise. When someone leaves early, or misses the ship in a port, the manifest has to be resubmitted and causes delays at immigration when the ship returns. So cruise lines are no longer allowing passengers to join the cruise down line, nor leave early. EM

Cruising is not like taking a Greyhound bus and getting off at a stop earlier than on your ticket.

Why not just fly to Belize and stay for the 4-7 days and have a land vacation if you want the entire family there? Otherwise your sister and niece won't be joining you on the cruise.

I'm going on a 7 day cruise with the family for my 40th. But my sister and niece were only available for 4 days. So they plan to cruise with us to Belize (second of four ports, day 4) and after a half day of fun, fly back home from Belize. Do you see any issues with this plan?

many issues;

1: NO REFUND on the unused portion of the cruise fare.

2: NO GUARANTEE that they will even be allowed to do so. they must get permission from the cruise line AND the port authorities( and some will not permit it outside of legitimate emergencies)

3: No passport, no flying home

4: one way tickets are often much more expensive than round trips.

all in all it is not a sound plan.

rude and if the ship incurs fines because they re waiting for them that cost will be passed along to them. further more they can get into trouble with local authorities.

why on earth do they think, in this day and age of terrorism that such a thing is remotely sane to even think about doing?!

Don't know about Belize but, most countries do require that you "enter" them before you "leave" them. The passports and any records their immigration officers maintain will not show that they ever entered the country (note: that they are physically standing in the airport is irrelevant). All they will have as "proof" is their cruise documentation and that won't include whatever paperwork would've been needed. And even the best actors would have a hard time explaining how they happened to miss the ship departure but had luggage in hand.

If they want to get stuck in an ideal tropical place, head to the South Pacific instead.

Not to mention, I assume they will have booked flights out of Belize. So lying to authorities, who will figure this out, may land them in a heap of trouble. So not worth trying to circumvent the law. Just ask ahead of time for permission and if not, then cancel before final payment.

many issues;

1: NO REFUND on the unused portion of the cruise fare.

2: NO GUARANTEE that they will even be allowed to do so. they must get permission from the cruise line AND the port authorities( and some will not permit it outside of legitimate emergencies)

3: No passport, no flying home

4: one way tickets are often much more expensive than round trips.

all in all it is not a sound plan.

Thanks for laying it out.

1. We are okay with no refund. The cost was within budget a 4 day so it's like the rest of us got a bonus extra 3 days!

2. This is the problem - first time on a cruise so I had no idea that we would need permission to NOT get back on the ship and that it was unlikely to get it.

3. Seem like you can keep your passport on you when you get off the ship, so they would be able to fly him

4. We were able to use miles so the one way ticket on southwest was reasonable (and is exchangeable)

But even from just #2 - it's a problem. I hate that my sister will miss my 40th! [emoji22] [emoji26][emoji26]

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

. ...

3. Seem like you can keep your passport on you when you get off the ship, so they would be able to fly him. ... .

Nope. Re-read post #8. FlatbushFlyer has explained well that with no entry stamp on their passport, there is going to be plenty of problem with trying to exit the country.

Also, since they wouldn't be able to take their luggage off the ship, flying one-way to USA with no luggage would definitely be a red flag at the airport.

Couldn't your sister simply take a land vacation in Belize during the time you will be there?

rude and if the ship incurs fines because they re waiting for them that cost will be passed along to them. further more they can get into trouble with local authorities.

why on earth do they think, in this day and age of terrorism that such a thing is remotely sane to even think about doing?!

To be fair, it wasn't them, it was my suggestion since the needed to be back for a wedding on Saturday (the life of a wedding cake baker). They've never been on a cruise, nor have I, and financially it was well within budget. So, I guess just foolish, naïveté, ignorance of the laws...whatever you'd like to call it. Fortunately, I'm asking you all for help, otherwise they would have found all of this out at the Belize airport.

They were going to pack light (easier for the return trip with connections) and the rest of the family would have brought their luggage home at the co Cousino of the voyage. Btw, the ship wouldn't have waited for them (I recognize that as rude) because I would have let them know when I re-boarded that my sister and niece were at the airport...

Actually had no plans to lie to authorities or break the law. You know how you always wonder "what were they thinking....it must have made sense in their minds..." Well, now you know what I was thinking [emoji51]

First, welcome to cruise critic. There are tons of information here. When you get tired of that - there is STILL tons of information. For a newbie that was a totally honest question.

For me what jumped out was the ship waiting for your sister (before you said you would tell) although the ship may still have to wait while trying to locate them. Who knows what the Belize government will demand they do.

The second will be all the p*ssed off people in the home port because they will miss their flights since the original manifest has to be redone. You will not be popular.

Think of it as flying into London on your way to Rome. They are not going to let you stay in London without permission. They want you in and out. That is what you are cleared for.

Edited by notentirelynormal

1. We are okay with no refund. The cost was within budget a 4 day so it's like the rest of us got a bonus extra 3 days!

2. This is the problem - first time on a cruise so I had no idea that we would need permission to NOT get back on the ship and that it was unlikely to get it.

3. Seem like you can keep your passport on you when you get off the ship, so they would be able to fly him

4. We were able to use miles so the one way ticket on southwest was reasonable (and is exchangeable)

But even from just #2 - it's a problem. I hate that my sister will miss my 40th! [emoji22] [emoji26][emoji26]

Having the passport in hand would not help since it never "entered" the country. All it would accomplish would be to draw more attention to the fact that they had violated the immigration regulations.

Leaving the ship early is done occasionally. On my most recent cruise, several parties left the ship in France, before it returned to Amsterdam. This was all arranged in advance, however. And it logistically would have been much easier for those people to take the ship back to Amsterdam and then catch the train to Paris. (I know several other parties who did exactly this)

So, yes it may be possible to leave the ship early, but make sure to work it out with the cruise line! Also, every country has their own immigration policies, so the cruise may say no simply because this is something Belize doesn't allow.

Leaving the ship early is done occasionally. On my most recent cruise' date=' several parties left the ship in France, before it returned to Amsterdam. This was all arranged in advance, however. And it logistically would have been much easier for those people to take the ship back to Amsterdam and then catch the train to Paris. (I know several other parties who did exactly this)

So, yes it may be possible to leave the ship early, but make sure to work it out with the cruise line! Also, every country has their own immigration policies, so the cruise may say no simply because this is something Belize doesn't allow.[/quote']

Europe seems to be a different animal in this situation. Like apples to oranges.

My suggestion is to just call the cruise line and ask.

Several years ago we were traveling with 3 other couples on a 12-day HAL cruise from Amsterdam. A business issue arose 2 weeks before our flight from LAX that required me to miss the first two days so my only choice was to skip the cruise or join it en route in Oslo, the first port of call.

My TA spoke with HAL who said they needed a few days to work out the details. They did and I was given full boarding instructions (location of ship, where to report, etc.). I just had a carry-on bag and sent my regular luggage along with my wife.

Apart from weariness from jet lag and the hassle getting to Oslo, all went like clockwork.

The larger cruise lines have all had to deal with special arrangements of all kinds and can usually accommodate everything within reason.

Give it a go. Call your travel agent or the cruise line directly and ask them how you can accomplish your plans.

Edited by Host Walt

People do occasionally leave early for a variety of reasons but pay for the full passage.

Get your travel agent to check on it for you ... or call your cruise line directly.

LuLu

Agreed...check with your crises line and TA. They might not have the answers you want to hear, but looking for concrete advice on immigration issues on Cruise Critic is not your best option.... (But thankfully you asked now instead of after FP!)

Enjoy your birthday, and plan something special with your sister when you get back!

Before you throw the trip in the trash, understand that most of these people are telling you what they think, not what they know. We went through this with the PVSA. People posted what they thought, not what they knew.

1) Contact the cruise line, see what they say.

2) Contact Belize, and see what they say.

Or, contact a professions travel agent and see what they say. But whatever you do, don't just assume the people posting here are correct. Many times they are not. For example, you don't mention the cruise line, yet everyone seems to think they know how the cruise line will react. Each cruise line is different and what is not okay with one cruise line is with another.