Does NCL offer upgrades?

Bilu444

Hello.

I am new to NCL. Have sailed multiple times on CCL and once on RCCL. For most of my CCL cruises, I have received phone calls offering upgrades in the weeks before sailing. Have taken some when the price was great and declined others if they were too expensive.

Does NCL ever make upgrade offers after booking?

You can either upgrade yourself if/when prices drop, or get an upsell email within a week or two of sailing. Not everyone gets an upsell offer, but DH and I received one on our Gem cruise last April. We were booked in an obstructed oceanview because balcony prices were not to my liking, and at the last minute received two upsell emails. I didn't respond in time for the first offer, which were for a few Haven suites, but jumped at the second offer for a 2 bedroom family suite (non-Haven) But let me warn you: if you take a suite, you will not be able to go back; we just paid an exorbitant amount for a suite on our upcoming Pride of America cruise for that very reason! :D

I just called my TA about upgrading from a balcony to a mini-suite on my cruise coming up on 9/13. I paid total $105 for both my wife and I to "upgrade" but I think it was worth it considering my parents got a mini-suite back when we booked it for $300 more per person.

There is no seeming method to how people get upgrade or upsell calls. I am platinum on NCL and Carnival and have never gotten offered even an upsell on either.

Yes, we have watched for price drops and then upgraded ourselves a few times at no additional cost.

Just off Breakaway and people we met at the M&G were offered an upsell from a balcony to a forward suite and took it. Don't know what the cost was; didn't ask.

You just never know.

I booked through CAS. Does anyone know if they would call offering upgrades or am I better off calling them. I sail on the Getaway on September 26 and currently booked an aft-facing balcony but would love to upgrade to haven if cost effective

I booked through CAS. Does anyone know if they would call offering upgrades or am I better off calling them. I sail on the Getaway on September 26 and currently booked an aft-facing balcony but would love to upgrade to haven if cost effective

Until recently I had never heard of any CAS players being offered any up sells but my friend received an offer for her May cruise and I was offered one for my July cruise.

I don't think they call as much now, we both received our offers through email.

Edited by iimmie

Now it seems most contact with up sells will be via email. And now the policy is 2weeks before you sail. In non prime months I am sure you will get a deal you like. Prices have already dropped for fall cruises so all the hype about sailing empty rather then discounting a room are not true.

• 1 month later...

Since CAS has a fixed cost to upgrade, normally not. Going from a balcony, skipping the mini-suites, to a Haven is likely to be expensive,,, but call periodically and especially right before the cruise. On an upcoming trip, we were in a aft-facing Haven balcony and called CAS. We were offered a 2-bedroom forward-facing Haven on the top deck for $250 pp (which we took). A lot more space in the Haven courtyard with a forward facing view was well worth the upgrade cost.

Since CAS has a fixed cost to upgrade, normally not. Going from a balcony, skipping the mini-suites, to a Haven is likely to be expensive,,, but call periodically and especially right before the cruise. On an upcoming trip, we were in a aft-facing Haven balcony and called CAS. We were offered a 2-bedroom forward-facing Haven on the top deck for $250 pp (which we took). A lot more space in the Haven courtyard with a forward facing view was well worth the upgrade cost.

We just received an email offering us an upgrade to a Haven suite from a spa balcony mini-suite for $750pp. We did not take it. We are very happy with the cabin we have and we thought the extra cost ($1500 total) just did not seem worth it to us. We are booked thru CAS so yes, CAS bookings do get offered upgrades. Now if the offer was like the above poster was offered (&250 pp) we would have taken it in a heartbeat!

We were just offered an upgrade on our Escape TransAtlantic (after calling) from a standard balcony to a mini-suite for no additional charge, since prices have dropped. We are currently in an angled balcony. We turned it down, because we don't want to trade our larger balcony located right by the stairs for a slightly larger bathroom located way down a long hallway. No way.

We read on the CC roll call that some were getting free upgrades about 2 months out from an early December (2014) cruise so I called our NCL agent and asked if balconies were available and at what cost to upgrade from inside. We were 4 in a cabin, 2 of them on the kids-sail-free promo, and were upgraded to family balcony at no extra cost.

A couple we spoke to had a balcony booked on same sailing and were upgraded to Haven the day before sailing.

Granted, it was off season, but doesn't hurt to call and ask. :)

You can either upgrade yourself if/when prices drop, or get an upsell email within a week or two of sailing. Not everyone gets an upsell offer, but DH and I received one on our Gem cruise last April. We were booked in an obstructed oceanview because balcony prices were not to my liking, and at the last minute received two upsell emails. I didn't respond in time for the first offer, which were for a few Haven suites, but jumped at the second offer for a 2 bedroom family suite (non-Haven) But let me warn you: if you take a suite, you will not be able to go back; we just paid an exorbitant amount for a suite on our upcoming Pride of America cruise for that very reason! :D

So if the prices dropped and I already made my final payment can I still be upgraded?

So if the prices dropped and I already made my final payment can I still be upgraded?

You can call and see what they'll do. Its no guarantee that they will gve you up upgrade. I have heard some people who have called after their final payment and have seen prices drop that NCL has given them OBC instead of an upgrade.

• 3 months later...

Do a search for "upsell" and you'll get lots of info. There's a number you can call in most of the threads a couple of weeks before you sail. They'll give you the price to upsell when you call. I just did this last week for our cruise in a week and was able to go from an inside to a Family Suite with a balcony for $500 pp ($1000 total.) The price depends on your sailing.