State Of Emergency in St. Croix

FIRELT5

We found out in 2011 when my MIL had a mild heart attack while aboard the Allure. When we got to St Thomas she was transferred to a hospital. And we disembarked. The ships agent was very nice and gave us the name of a hotel for my wife and I, he also informed us not to venture out after the ships left. Our hotel had barbed wire and a armed security guard at the gate. The agent told us that the murder rate in St Thomas was the highest of any of the US protectorates. The only time we left the hotel at night was to go to the hospital. And then the cab ride was an adventure. It seems they don't enforce the drunk driving laws there.

Friends of ours have a home there and are there now - I messaged her - here's her response: Thankfully it's on the other side of the island. It's stupid gangs taking revenge on each other. We haven't had anything like that around us. But, we have had to change our plans a couple of times to not be in a risky situation.

10 yrs ago we were on radiance and were allowed to get off the ship in stx during a refueling stop late at night......beautiful cruise terminal....eerie that nothing was open...they were working hard to attract more ships....we planned a land trip that had to be rescheduled and I would be thinking twice....small island,only a couple of main roads....hope they get it under control soon...

Baltimore, with a population of about 10 times St Croix has had 227 homicides in 2015 compared to St Croix's 9, or about 1/2 the per capita rate of Baltimore & even smaller . This took place at night & well away from the pier. You are much more likely to run into crime in Miami before you get on the ship.

The countdown for the Top 30 Murder Capitals of America:

The Top 30 Murder rates in the U.S.

30 Baton Rouge, LA .21/ 1000 compared to St. Croix .18/1000

29 Youngstown, OH

28 San Bernardino, CA

27 Oakland, CA

26 Barberton, OH

25 Poughkeepsie, NY

24 Cincinnati, OH

23 Petersburg, VA

22 Wilmington, DE

21 York, PA

20 East Palo Alto, CA

19 Jackson, MS

18 Wilkes-Barre, PA

17 Birmingham, AL

16 East Point, GA

15 East Chicago, IN

14 Compton, CA

13 Baltimore, MD

12 St. Louis, MO

11 Harvey, IL

10 Newark, NJ

9 New Orleans, LA

8 Trenton, NJ

7 Detroit, MI

6 Flint, MI

5 Saginaw, MI

4 Chester, PA

3 Gary, IN

2 Camden, NJ

1 East St. Louis, IL

St. Croix spent 40 years trying to recover from the shock of the Fountain Valley Massacre in 1972. Cruise ships did not port, except very occasionally, when I was living there, hurting the economy. The crime rate is of great concern because of this, plus this seems to be gang related, so time to get very serious. They don't want another incident like the one in St. Martin.

This is a lovely island with wonderful people. Please get off the ship & find out what this island has to offer

It's nice that so many people are looking at the problem using numbers rather than anecdote.

Last year I had a guy get shot in my front yard. According to statistics I live in a safe neighborhood. According to the anecdote I should move immediately - to St Croix maybe? I think I'll go with the stats.

It's nice that so many people are looking at the problem using numbers rather than anecdote.

Last year I had a guy get shot in my front yard. According to statistics I live in a safe neighborhood. According to the anecdote I should move immediately - to St Croix maybe? I think I'll go with the stats.

Of course, if you want to market your front yard as a tourist destination it is up to you to make it attractive for visitors to come. It isn't their obligation to stop by and spend their money in your yard.

Thank you to HarpHarp and Lard Greystoke for defending my home.

I have been trying to figure out just what so say about all of this from the local viewpoint, so here goes:

Every community has crime, some more than others, but sensationalizing it only aggravates the situation.

All of the shootings have taken place away from Frederiksted (where the cruise ships dock) and have involved locals only.

As a visitor to my island you are perfectly safe getting off your ship and enjoying the west end. Please don't go wandering in the projects and the low income housing and you will be fine.

Of course, if you want to market your front yard as a tourist destination it is up to you to make it attractive for visitors to come. It isn't their obligation to stop by and spend their money in your yard.

I guess my point was that, statistically, my yard is still safe despite the one-off shooting. Anecdotally, you could sensationalize that freak event. If you wanted to.

Thank you to HarpHarp and Lard Greystoke for defending my home.

I have been trying to figure out just what so say about all of this from the local viewpoint, so here goes:

Every community has crime, some more than others, but sensationalizing it only aggravates the situation.

All of the shootings have taken place away from Frederiksted (where the cruise ships dock) and have involved locals only.

As a visitor to my island you are perfectly safe getting off your ship and enjoying the west end. Please don't go wandering in the projects and the low income housing and you will be fine.

Drake - thank you for your words. With your permission I am copying your response to my group. I look forward to at least sharing a beer with you when we arrive.:D