Do You Visit MDR for Any Formal Nites?

cjdixon4

We pretty much exclusively eat dinner at MDR so yes if there are two formal nights we are there for both. (looking forward to the second formal night on our next cruise, sounds like it will be Thanksgiving so we might get Turkey and Lobster on the same night !! ;) )

We don't really dress up for formal night anymore though (slacks and a collared shirt meets my wifes requirements)

We have previously attended both formal nights on every cruise.

While the MDR food is adequate, some of it even tasty, for mass catered food, we have seen a decline in variety and quality over the years. Even formal nights have suffered.

After perusing the menus for our upcoming cruise and finding the first formal night offerings 'nothing special' for our personal taste, we have opted to go to a specialty restaurant on the first formal night.

There are two men in our party who enjoy gorging themselves on small, formerly frozen, rubbery lobster tails. We ladies enjoy having the opportunity to have the family dress up and we cherish having formal night family photos, so we will be in the MDR on the 2nd formal night.

We go to both, but if it were up to me I'd eat at the buffet instead. I have enough opportunities when I'm at home to get dressed up for dinners and shows and when I'm on a beach vacation, I loathe the idea of having to pack extra clothes, shoes, make-up and hair supplies so I can spend an extra hour out of my vacation to get dolled up and then go eat dinner. And in my opinion, the lobster, being mass cooked, tastes chewy and tough and lacks good flavor. I ordered the lobster a couple weeks ago and thought it was so bad I ordered something else and gave it away to my daughter, who loved it. I like the casualness of beach vacations so technically, I would prefer the buffet every night, but I don't travel by myself, and majority rules so... :)

We go to the MDR every night. The buffet is for our breakfast and some lunches. We're on vacation and like to be served. We enjoy having tablemates. Getting dressed into something other than shorts or sweats is fun sometimes. I guess, to each their own. It's your vacation, right?

The novelty of dressing formal has worn off for me. We don't go into the MDR on formal nights since I don't care to dress up. Usually we just wind up in the pub having ham and cheese croissants from Cafe Promenade. Not that I'm a lobster snob, but the lobster in the MDR is nothing to write home about.

I like formal nights in the MDR, especially the second night. Not being from the north, I have no access to Maine lobster, which is probably a good thing because I would have to get an additional job to support my lobster habit.

Obviously, but any idea what is available beyond the every day value menu. The OP was hoping for lamb or duck

As a D+ cruiser, I would think that you must have an idea about what else is available on the MDR menu on lobster night. I see that you have 7 upcoming cruises listed between September and December, 2015. If you are interested in what MammaBear 55 might order if she doesn't want lobster, maybe you could post the available choices when you return from your September 13 cruise.

As a D+ cruiser, I would think that you must have an idea about what else is available on the MDR menu on lobster night. I see that you have 7 upcoming cruises listed between September and December, 2015. If you are interested in what MammaBear 55 might order if she doesn't want lobster, maybe you could post the available choices when you return from your September 13 cruise.

Okie Dokie. I think it's tortellini, braised beef, and chicken, but if you are wrong around here you get crucified. I just get the lobster, it's fun. And isn't that why we're here.

BTW, I only have two of those seven. Laura is doing 5 solos on Freedom

We dine in the MDR every night except the formal nights. We just do not like the aura of it all. On our last cruise which was thirteen nights, we chose to dine in the specialty restaurants on those nights. And for those who concern themselves with such things, yes I wore a jacket and tie.

Haven't been to a formal night since the days they actually enforced the dress code. Seemed silly to get dressed up only to go back to the room immediately afterwards to get back into "vacation" clothing. Now it's our tradition to do specialties those nights.