To i-phone users on Princess

anteaters

Hi! I am completely ignorant about I-phones. My husband and I just switched from our easy flip-phones to I-phones yesterday and I am going to need lots of practice to learn how to use mine. I thought bringing it on our upcoming Princess cruise might be a way to learn from other patient people. But what I don't know is: We will each have 250 internet minutes for our long cruise and would practicing things on the I-phone be using up those (I believe I-phones attach to the wifi?) And taking photos on I-phones, is that also using up internet time--and is there a way to send photos taken on the I-phone to people on computer e-mail (I know I'll mostly be on the ship's computers for my e-mailing)? We're with Verizon and so of course making phone calls would be the huge out-of-country (Caribbean) phone charges so we won't be doing that...So, again, I apologize for complete ignorance but any advice you can give as to whether I should take my new phone or just leave it at home would be appreciated.

Changing to an iPhone is a big deal if you have not had a smartphone in the past. I found the Verizon Workshops very helpful and you can attend multiple times. They are free and offered at various times. They take the time to answer your personal questions and do a great job with it.

If you have the time before you leave, I would recommend attending a workshop or two. You can schedule yourself on-line.

Hi! I am completely ignorant about I-phones. My husband and I just switched from our easy flip-phones to I-phones yesterday and I am going to need lots of practice to learn how to use mine. I thought bringing it on our upcoming Princess cruise might be a way to learn from other patient people. But what I don't know is: We will each have 250 internet minutes for our long cruise and would practicing things on the I-phone be using up those (I believe I-phones attach to the wifi?) And taking photos on I-phones, is that also using up internet time--and is there a way to send photos taken on the I-phone to people on computer e-mail (I know I'll mostly be on the ship's computers for my e-mailing)? We're with Verizon and so of course making phone calls would be the huge out-of-country (Caribbean) phone charges so we won't be doing that...So, again, I apologize for complete ignorance but any advice you can give as to whether I should take my new phone or just leave it at home would be appreciated.

Keep your phone in airplane mode, so you don't accumulate roaming charges!

Keep your phone in airplane mode, so you don't accumulate roaming charges!

Yes, and even in airplane mode, you can turn your wifi back on. Those switches are visible under Settings, they aren't hidden as on some other phones. Also, when you connect to the internet (other than the intranet which you can do for free), make sure you log out, otherwise you will burn up you your precious internet minutes. You can use the internet on your phone just like you would on a computer. I would also download the Princess@Sea messenger app. It just needs a wifi connection (free onboard) and will allow you access to your onboard accounts and other info about your cruise.

When we got our i-phones we found an I-phone tutorial on line that was exactly what we needed. Don't know how to tell you how to find it, but we just did a google search and it popped right up. You can watch it as many times as you need to, it's very in depth.

First, if you purchased the iPhone 6, I hope you got a great deal because the latest iPhones, the 6S and 6S Plus, will be available for purchase on September 25th. I'd be going back to Verizon or wherever they were purchased to trade them for the newer version.

Second, onboard the ship is really not the place to learn how to use them. I suggest you find a friend or relative who can get you started by showing you how to connect to Wi-Fi, send photos via email or text, set Airplane Mode, etc. before you leave for your cruise.

Lew

Most Important...you need to sign out each and everytime you log on. If you have a good internet manager, he will show you a few tricks and tips. If you don't log out, your minutes will continue to run even if you are not using the internet.

Download the Princess@Sea app from iTunes before you get on the ship.

Another useful app is ShipMate

I agree with everyone else, take a class. We took a free class at the apple store, it helps so much. I would also recommend getting a good case that helps prevent breakage. Also, if you are on Verizon, they do offer a 'cruise ship' package for like $25 a month, I think it is free text and talk, but not data. You would need to check it out.

Have fun!!

Photos take forever to upload onboard. Wait til you get home.

We got FIL an iPhone. At home if he has a question he'll text me.

At a store he'll find a kid and ask the parent if she knows how to do 'whatever' on the phone. The parent will have the kid help FIL. By doing this, he figures, kids know everything and he won't look creeperish.

I learn many things just hanging out with friends. These phones have so much that even a class doesn't teach you everything.

If you haven't done so already set up the Medical ID under the Health app.

Edited by SadieN

Thanks so much, all of you who have already written. In fact, I just did the medical ID which the last cruiser wrote about. Since we cruise in only a week, I will leave my phone at home and just have my DH take his. I've learned a little more today on my own and will try the on-line tutorial as well as the class as soon as there is time. The sales people where we bought the phone and at a second place we were at today (errands before cruise) were also very nice and willing to help as they stood around with nothing to do so that seems to be another good source. Anyway, I'll take all the ideas that I can get and really do appreciate your time....Maybe these ideas will help others like me....Oh, and to the cruiser who wrote about the new I-phones coming out soon, we are aware of that but getting three phones at once for the family, we were happy to get the sale price on these "old" phones since they'll be quite enough for us for awhile ;) .

I wouldn't leave the phone at home. If you place it in airplane mode while on the cruise you won't incur any charges. It has a great camera, and with the "Princess at sea app you can text each other when seperated (for free) among other things.

With the "Shipmate" app you'll have a deck plan, itinerary, excursions etc. all on your phone. I have a flashlight app on mine that makes a trip to the bathroom at night without disturbing DW much easier.

I wouldn't leave the phone at home. If you place it in airplane mode while on the cruise you won't incur any charges. It has a great camera, and with the "Princess at sea app you can text each other when seperated (for free) among other things.

With the "Shipmate" app you'll have a deck plan, itinerary, excursions etc. all on your phone. I have a flashlight app on mine that makes a trip to the bathroom at night without disturbing DW much easier.

When Apple announced their new iPhone 6Ss this week, the iPhone 6 prices fell $100 ($70 in Canada:(). My DH 'inherited' my old 4S iPhone and I bought the iPhone 6 that has a better camera.

I'm not an expert but can share a couple of tips until you learn more...

If you have family/friends with Apple devices, learn how Photo Stream (or the Photo Library) works so you can create an 'album' in the cloud and share selected photos with them. 'Photo sharing' doesn't involve emailing. You can learn this sooner (before you leave), or later (when you get home).

With Princess@Sea, now that we both have iPhones, (in Airplane mode) with wifi on and using the ship's intranet (not our 250 internet minutes), I understand that we'll be able to text each other during the day on board. Hope it works! Although we're almost always together, this could prove to be handy to find each other during the day on a 21-day TA cruise! The loudness of the text 'ding' can be minimized somewhat by turning down the volume on the phone, plus use 'vibrate'.

I sign in to my iCloud account on the ship's computers to check my @icloud email. Regardless of slow internet speeds are while at sea, a wired computer will always be faster than a wifi device.

Whether or not you decide to take your iPhones on the cruise, I hope that anything I've mentioned might help you to ask a few of the 'right' questions to get you started on your 'photographic' journey. Smartphones are amazing. DH was really happy to get rid of his 'stupid:eek:' one. AND, have a great cruise!

We have sailed with our Iphones at least 20 times........

We need to have our phones on during the cruise.

We never use airplane mode. We turn off cell data and have never incurred any extra charges. We can still make and receive calls/text. Of course we pay for either if required and they are not covered under our AT&T package.

Just off Emerald

Do download app before leaving as some of our party didn't & was difficult to do onboard. The app does timeout so if your waiting contact you do need to keep checking.

About day 2 that had an iPad/iPhone hour long session about Apple at sea, friends went & said it was very informative, I'm sure it's be available on all ships.

Do not take in jacuzzi with you 😒 iPhones don't swim well

Other than that enjoy 😀

Plus it makes a great bedside clock and alarm clock - keep it in Airplane Mode.