Cruise fare pricing with and without Explore4

DaveOKC

I know that this option has been mentioned inside several other threads, but I thought I would set up a new topic for it for those that have not seen this.

I just talked to my HAL PCC (personal cruise consultant) and he told me that on most cruises I can elect not to take the Explore4 package and that then pricing will be lower.

In my case, it was $500 per person lower on a 10 day cruise. For us the better deal was the lower price, but of course for others it could be the opposite. Nice of HAL to let us chose!

Just FYI.

Thanks for posting the information, Dave! I think, in the end, it's much better for HAL (and us) to let people choose. I believe, based on postings here, that some people chose, last fall, to refare their bookings after that version of Explore4 ended. I would think that caused some extra work that could have been avoided if they offered the choice at the time. My value of Explore4 is far different from the value that HAL places on it.

I posted on another topic but we originally booked a suite with the Explore 4. We started calculating how much it would be worth to us. Since the drink limit was $8/drink, that eliminated a nice bottle of wine. Couldn't use it at HMC either. Couldn't order drinks for use in the suite. Included a meal at the Italian restaurant, which is just ok for us. We called and had it removed(doing ticketing with a TA). It saved us $1000/pp!!!! We then got the wine package that includes two Pinnacle dinners for two. We can drink and eat a lot of stuff for $1000/pp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was looking into a cruise for this winter, my TA said that she had a group on one of the dates I was thinking about. If I gave up the Explore4, I saved on the booking. We booked a Neptune Suite for around $1000 pp less than the HAL website shows. The only parts of explore4 that we care about are the $300 suite OBC and the Pinnacle dinner. We don't bother with Canaletto. The beverage package doesn't get us much because, as someone else has mentioned, you can't "trade" the value of several drinks for a bottle of wine, and wine with dinner is our alcoholic consumption most days. So we're ahead by a nice amount.

I wouldn't have known you could opt out of a promotion if I hadn't read it here.

We booked an inside cabin with Explore4. The price difference was only about $100 per person, so worth it for us. We are not big drinkers and probably only spend about $100 each on drinks for a cruise, so it would never be worth it for us to buy a drink package. We think it will be fun to try the package and also get the specialty restaurant meal. If it had been $500+ per person, as others have mentioned, it definitely would NOT have been worthwhile!

Thanks for bringing this up again Dave. Might help me rebook a cruise that I cancelled before final because I thought it was too much $$$.:)

Just to clarify, I was told that not all sailings have the option of taking a lower price in lieu of Explore4, so you have to ask your TA/PCC.

A great deal depends on the difficulty HAL is having filling the cabins. The Explore-4 was a give-away for us this summer going to Bermuda on the Veendam, but a substantial price boost for next year in Alaska on the Massdam. The story might change as the voyage draws closer.

I am more confused than ever now about the Explore 4.

I was checking prices online at an unnamed site with a gnome for guidance. Looking specifically at Alaskan cruise on Westerdam for 20 Aug, for Category SS:

Explore 4 Sale - Cabin Price $4,398

Hot Deal - Cabin Price $4,198

The HAL site shows only the $4,398

If I am interpreting this correctly, for that $200 difference we get 15 drinks per day/per pax, and dinner in PG. The $300 OBC and dinner at Canaletto are for the suite booking and would be included in both.

Am I missing something or is this how it works for this particular sailing?

I was checking prices online at an unnamed site with a gnome for guidance. Looking specifically at Alaskan cruise on Westerdam for 20 Aug, for Category SS:

If I am interpreting this correctly, for that $200 difference we get 15 drinks per day/per pax, and dinner in PG. The $300 OBC and dinner at Canaletto are for the suite booking and would be included in both.

Possible, but not necessarily. You need to call your TA or PCC to ask for certain if the lower price without Explore4 is available - you will not find it on the website.

A great deal depends on the difficulty HAL is having filling the cabins. The Explore-4 was a give-away for us this summer going to Bermuda on the Veendam, but a substantial price boost for next year in Alaska on the Massdam. The story might change as the voyage draws closer.

We're also going to Alaska next year and the Explore 4 simply wasn't worth it to us. It was far more expensive, and frankly, the value just wasn't there for us.

Sounds about right. Our Alaska cruise had no price difference. (Suite with $300 OBC, Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto - and the Signature Beverage Package.) Always price these things out.

Not every cruise has the option of "opting out" of the Score 4 package. I called HAL on a 21 day cruise out of Rotterdam going to Norway and Iceland. I asked the HAL rep for the price without the Score 4 package and was told there was no option of dropping it. Did I get a misinformed rep?????

I did a look on-line thru a big box TA a few months ago and saw this cruise had both options for taking the Score 4 package or dropping it. Now it shows the Score 4 package only and no option to drop it.

Moving targets are very hard to hit......:confused:

We booked a 24 day med cruise on the Eurodam forr May 2016 a VF balcony for just over AUD$11,000.

When the explore4 came out we repriced with HAL our cruise price was nearly $15,000 for the same VF balcony.

We declined and decided we were in the winning position without the explore4.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Our PCC told us that our cruise/s next year on Prinsendam are the same with or without Explore4 - we're going to wait and see if the prices go down after this October sale, and re-book if we have to. Two legs are really port intensive, and I'm sure we'd never be able to squeeze in all the drinking we'd need to make it worthwhile, but one leg is a TA (booked separately), and we might keep it for that.:D

Our PCC told us that our cruise/s next year on Prinsendam are the same with or without Explore4 - we're going to wait and see if the prices go down after this October sale, and re-book if we have to. Two legs are really port intensive, and I'm sure we'd never be able to squeeze in all the drinking we'd need to make it worthwhile, but one leg is a TA (booked separately), and we might keep it for that.:D

Port-intensiveness is a BIG consideration!

Hope this works out the best way for you!!

Explore 4 made the choice for us. We were considering a couple of different cruises. When the Explore 4 promotion came up - one cruise was $400 more per person, but the other's price remained the same. That clinched it for us.

We get all the perks and pay no more.

Pat

Vista Suite 2 people 1599.00 plus tax=3415.00 with EX4

Vista Suite 2 people 1099.00 plus tax-2495.00 without EX4

Almost 1000.00 more for EX4, we don't drink enough to make that worth our while, even factoring in 300.00 OBC

I am doing 21 days on the Oosterdam. The price with Explore4 was 400 more than without. I felt it was well worth even though my daughter doesn't drink alcohol. She will get enough sodas and bottles of water to use up her share for sure.

I am doing 21 days on the Oosterdam. The price with Explore4 was 400 more than without. I felt it was well worth even though my daughter doesn't drink alcohol. She will get enough sodas and bottles of water to use up her share for sure.

I agree. The difference on our next booking was over $600 pp and, based on our use of the SBP on our August cruise, we felt it was still a very good deal. When you add up coffees (which we use a great deal) and the fun of trying new drinks, we really enjoyed the SBP. Have a great cruise

I am wondering the same thing. We are looking at booking two inside cabins for a Panama Canal cruise in January. There are 6 of us but 3 are kids. My Mom and I went on a cruise by ourselves last year with Explore 4 and enjoyed it very much, so I was looking forward to pricing out this cruise with the Explore 4 option. But I also see I got a flyer in the mail for a "private sale" that includes this cruise (or seems to) and the prices on that seem to be quite a bit lower with a free 3rd/4th passenger option. I am wondering if the HAL reps will let me price out the cruise both ways. I figure if we want the beverage package we could always add it. Pinnacle Grill is a nice addition, but again, we could easily plan a night without the kids. They are old enough to behave themselves well in the Pinnacle, but I would probably not pay out of pocket for it for them just because they would not appreciate it enough.

I am also wondering if they will let my Mom add the beverage package just for her because the other people in the cabin are children? I thought I read somewhere that everyone in the cabin has to be on the beverage package, but I assume that would not be true for those under 21? Anyone have any idea about that? TIA.

Edited by Megsie1000